• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Next Spurs Manager v.2

Who do you want?

• Louis Van Gaal

Votes: 8 6.6%
  • Mauro Pochettino

Votes: 9 7.4%
  • Frank de Boer

Votes: 43 35.5%
  • Roberto Martinez

Votes: 16 13.2%
  • Carlo Ancelotti

Votes: 10 8.3%
  • Murat Yakin

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Thomas Tuchel

Votes: 2 1.7%
  • Rafa Benitez

Votes: 29 24.0%
  • Someone Else

Votes: 4 3.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Re: Lvg come save us please

I think we'll finish 6th tbh.

If we do then I'll have been pretty much spot on with my feelings before the season. I said we'd finish 6th and that our only good signings were Vlad, Eriksen and .... Lamela. Shame about the last part, mitigating circumstances working against me there.

how many have tried and failed, its an impossible job

How many times have people said the same thing about the England or Saudi Sportswashing Machine job? But I'm beginning to come to this conclusion about our club too.

I feel genuinely sorry for those fans who think LVG will come in, solve all our problems and have us as title challengers within 1 or 2 seasons, in an incredibly congested league.

It will only end in disappointment.

I feel genuinely sorry for those fans who think LVG will come in, solve all our problems and have us as title challengers within 1 or 2 seasons, in an incredibly congested league.

It will only end in disappointment.

Indeed. How many more times do we have to go through this? A shiny new/experienced foreign manager won't wave a magic round and turn us into a powerhouse. Even if he gets us on the right path he'll get the boot for not living up to Levy's ridiculous expectations.

Re: The problem with spurs. Lvg come save us please

You can't have two threads with the same topic, greedy sod. ;)

LvG can make a team at Spurs but I feel it'll be more sweeping changes in the player department and a 2-3 year project finishing 5-6th before we see any rewards, but would he be given time?

Re: The problem with spurs. Lvg come save us please

'LVG, LVG riding through the glen'

'LVG, LVG with his merry men'

'He gets off his steed'

'to win us the league'

LVG, LVG, LVG!!!!!!!

oooooh ahhh

Re: The problem with spurs. (lvg come save us please)

Think you've pin pointed most of the key problems there mate.

The other points id make are.

1. We dont have any real stand out leaders in our team. I think if Kaboul and Sandro played more we might have 2 players that could be potentially good leaders but neither really talks much. JV should be more influentical but seems to be in sulk mode this year after having to play left back for most of the season and in the last 4 games he's been poor making silly mistakes. I think Dawson just gets in the team because he's vocal and thats it.

2. We bought far too many players in the summer to integrate into our squad. I dont think any of the new players we bought in the summer were involved today which was interesting. I think a few of them will come good next year, i think Eriksen has done well in patches and so has Vlad to some extent but many of the others havent either integrated or performed. Our two most expensive buys in Soldado and Lamela havent contributed at all really

3. This comes onto my final point and the formation and changing manager. Under AVB we played one way and then Sherwood has come in and we started playing a different way to start with we are now back to almost playing like AVB with the one striker and high line so for a squad with many new players chopping and changing the system has this effected the team in a negative way?

I watched Arsenal v Everton earlier today and you can clearly see what each side is trying to do. They both have a way of playing and both Wenger and Martinez have a vision much like Rodgers has at Liverpool. When i watch Spurs i dont see any vision right now..

Lets imagine if LVG takes the reigns after the World Cup, for those of you that know about him and his prefered tactics, player types and so on; what have we got to look forward to? What are his teams renowned for, and out of our current squad who is a LVG player and who isn't?

I won't speak for LVG specifically, but what I would like to see from the next manager is

- Reuse of most of the squad -> Lloris, Walker, Kaboul, Verts, Vlad, Sandro, Eriksen, Paulinho, Lamela, Lennon, Ade, Soldado in my opinion should all be part of the squad, with a goal of no more than 3 first team changes (we have quite a few in larger squad that could be moved on)
- A system/style of play -> ok with adjustments based on opponents, but players need a system to walk into, not a new formation/style every week.
- Tactical discipline -> follow orders, stay with the system
- Translate possession into causing a threat for opponent

Re the goals, unlike others I don't expect to be challenging for the title, what I'd like to see is

- Challenge for 4th (we aren't now, we are reasonably close in points, mile away in performances)
- Make a concerted effort to win a cup (work within the luck of draw, pick the right teams)
- Offensive football

I second your suggestion. Martinez took over at Everton and has them playing some decent football, I just want to see a coach do the same with our team. I have no doubt in my mind that we have a decent team hiding in amongst the squad of players we have, we just need someone who can identify what we have and use it.

Lets imagine if LVG takes the reigns after the World Cup, for those of you that know about him and his prefered tactics, player types and so on; what have we got to look forward to? What are his teams renowned for, and out of our current squad who is a LVG player and who isn't?

- Organisation and tactical discipline
- Attractive attacking football
- Strong leadership
- Someone who will eat the press and every other manager (including Mourinho) for breakfast
- Development of young players from within - he doesn't like superstars
- No set formation (just a philosophy), but high pressing and possession football

I second your suggestion. Martinez took over at Everton and has them playing some decent football, I just want to see a coach do the same with our team. I have no doubt in my mind that we have a decent team hiding in amongst the squad of players we have, we just need someone who can identify what we have and use it.

This is definitely true. We have a lot of good players, it's just about getting the right combination and using the right playing style.

I want someone to come in and make us competitive again against our direct competitors whilst playing attractive and attacking football. I don't care if we finish 5th/6th, I want us to not be the cannon fodder we have been this season for the rest of the top 6.

Like Raziel said really.

* Look like winning a cup
* Play offensively and attractively whilst being difficult to beat
* Sweep away this gutless and spinless nature of throwing in the towel the moment something goes against us
* Challenge the rest of the top 6 and be close to the them in performances as well as points
* Sign a couple of big, strong personalities who aren't afraid to dig out the rest of team if they aren't performing

I want someone to come in and make us competitive again against our direct competitors whilst playing attractive and attacking football. I don't care if we finish 5th/6th, I want us to not be the cannon fodder we have been this season for the rest of the top 6.

Like Raziel said really.

* Look like winning a cup
* Play offensively and attractively whilst being difficult to beat
* Sweep away this gutless and spinless nature of throwing in the towel the moment something goes against us
* Challenge the rest of the top 6 and be close to the them in performances as well as points
* Sign a couple of big, strong personalities who aren't afraid to dig out the rest of team if they aren't performing

LVG definitely won't do that. He'll be a strong enough personality for the whole squad.

LVG definitely won't do that. He'll be a strong enough personality for the whole squad.

Well then I don't think he would be the right person for our club. We need people who are going to be like that, out on the pitch where they can affect our performances as they are occuring, in play. I don't want someone who will just gonad* the players after the fact, I want players in our team who are going to be the manager out on that pitch. I want players that are not going to allow Vertonghen to sulk because he believes other players aren't up to his standard. I want players who are not going to stand for going through the motions season after season and ending a career with nothing but a bank balance to show for it. And most of all, I want a manager who will have a couple of pit bulls/lieutenants who will carry out his work for him during the 90 minutes whether the rest of the team like it or not.

What if we don't already have any leaders, would he not consider bringing one in?

LVG would be the undisputed leader. That's how he likes it. He's similar to AVB in that way - he thinks the squad should be submissive to his will.

He will mentor smart players in time though - Guardiola, Rijkaard and FdB were three players of his who he did this too.

Well then I don't think he would be the right person for our club. We need people who are going to be like that, out on the pitch where they can affect our performances as they are occuring, in play. I don't want someone who will just gonad* the players after the fact, I want players in our team who are going to be the manager out on that pitch. I want players that are not going to allow Vertonghen to sulk because he believes other players aren't up to his standard. I want players who are not going to stand for going through the motions season after season and ending a career with nothing but a bank balance to show for it. And most of all, I want a manager who will have a couple of pit bulls/lieutenants who will carry out his work for him during the 90 minutes whether the rest of the team like it or not.

It's not the 1990s. Discipline, work ethic and motivation should all come from the training pitch, not in response to some inane ramblings from the biggest meathead.

Back