• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Next Spurs Manager v.2

Who do you want?

• Louis Van Gaal

Votes: 8 6.6%
  • Mauro Pochettino

Votes: 9 7.4%
  • Frank de Boer

Votes: 43 35.5%
  • Roberto Martinez

Votes: 16 13.2%
  • Carlo Ancelotti

Votes: 10 8.3%
  • Murat Yakin

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Thomas Tuchel

Votes: 2 1.7%
  • Rafa Benitez

Votes: 29 24.0%
  • Someone Else

Votes: 4 3.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
yes.....but im more interested in what Spurs do and dont do. All im saying is that i hope Levy isnt so narrow minded to reject FdB just because he spoke to the media about Spurs contacting Ajax.

Completely valid reason for rejecting someone though. The new coach hasn't just got to be the best man for getting things into shape on the pitch (if that was the only criteria, Redknapp would never have lost his job), they've also got to be someone that doesn't constantly creat embarrasing headlines for the club and also someone that will work professionally and constructively with Levy, Baldini and the transfer committee, as well as the medical staff, coaching staff and other club staff, board and owners.

Sherwood ended up not on speaking terms with Levy and with half of the senior squad dropped for his U21 players who he "could trust". AVB ended up hardly on speaking terms with Levy and the club's most expensive asset and highest wage-earner training with the reserves and the club's best left-back out on loan at QPR, as well as the club's record signing only getting game time in the Europa league. Redknapp ended up trying to play the club for a bunch of mugs when he thought the England job was his and took his eye of the ball letting our 3rd place slide into the abyss.

If there is any hint of a candidate not being the most professional, especially in the media, this could create problems and lead to a sacking a year or two down the line. If Levy is worried about whether he'll get on with De Boer, or whether his brother Ronald and all his mates will gob off in the media everytime he wants to put pressure on the club, like he did in the candidate process for the job, then he has every right to knock him down the priority list on the list of candidates, especially if at the same time, one of the other candidates (Pochettino), acts with total professionalism.

Re: ITK Thread

Of course you can only really judge once they're in the job, but Levy's task isn't to make sure things will go right, that's ultimately out of his, or anyone else's control. His task is to pick the managerial appointment that has the best chance of going well, taking into account all factors, and as chairman and owner, him and Lewis have a duty to look into things a lot more than us fans do, read up on all of the candidates, interview them, see their ideas, ask people who have worked under and with them, think about what they want and how they will work with them and then make a decision based on who looks the most likely to do well given the circumstances they have to work under.

MY point is that looking at all the candidates, I think Pochettino has the LEAST potential for it all going pear-shaped and the MOST likelihood of working well with ENIC and their wishes. The only downside to Pochettino is that he's the one least likely to appease the fans demands for a "big name". That problems stems from the fact that Southampton play in the Premiership and are seen as a small club. So regardless of the fact that I think Poch's Southampton side would have walked the Eiredivisie, the fact that the Ajax name and brand resonates and that they won the league there, means people think De Boer is a sexier name, and Benitez won the CL with Liverpool & Valencia as well as the Spanish league.

I think though that Levy wants the best man for the job, not the one who is going to shut the fans up. He's been down that route with the Hoddle appointment and he knows our most successful manager appointed by him (Redknapp) was not wanted by the majority of fans.

Benitez = costly severance package with Napoli, known for playing defensive football, likes to spend money on expensive signings, will probably want the squad extensively reshaped, known for making a few 'unhinged' comments to the media
De Boer = gobbed off in the media quite a bit, unproven outside of a small league and only managed the biggest club in a small league. Seen some strange capitulations of his teams and poor European performance, pretty gobby in the media, again very possession based football that would be seen as 'slow' in the Premiership.

Given that the managers most likely to be the 'least risk' or 'most chance of success' will probably be moving onto bigger & better things than Spurs (come on, let's forget about appointing someone like LVG or Ancelotti), then like the Modrics and Bales we sign and develop, any managerial appoinment is going to be a risk. We have to take a leap of faith like Liverpool did with Rogers and do our research and pick the candidate most likely to step up their game in a pressurised environment.

At this stage, it looks like Pochettino is that man to me.

Excellent post, completely agree, it's about picking the right man not pleasing us fans. Levy needs to be strong get his man if it works we will sing his praises if it doesn't maybe time for him to question his job

Completely valid reason for rejecting someone though. The new coach hasn't just got to be the best man for getting things into shape on the pitch (if that was the only criteria, Redknapp would never have lost his job), they've also got to be someone that doesn't constantly creat embarrasing headlines for the club and also someone that will work professionally and constructively with Levy, Baldini and the transfer committee, as well as the medical staff, coaching staff and other club staff, board and owners.

Sherwood ended up not on speaking terms with Levy and with half of the senior squad dropped for his U21 players who he "could trust". AVB ended up hardly on speaking terms with Levy and the club's most expensive asset and highest wage-earner training with the reserves and the club's best left-back out on loan at QPR, as well as the club's record signing only getting game time in the Europa league. Redknapp ended up trying to play the club for a bunch of mugs when he thought the England job was his and took his eye of the ball letting our 3rd place slide into the abyss.

If there is any hint of a candidate not being the most professional, especially in the media, this could create problems and lead to a sacking a year or two down the line. If Levy is worried about whether he'll get on with De Boer, or whether his brother Ronald and all his mates will gob off in the media everytime he wants to put pressure on the club, like he did in the candidate process for the job, then he has every right to knock him down the priority list on the list of candidates, especially if at the same time, one of the other candidates (Pochettino), acts with total professionalism.
well Poch himself has proven to be outspoken too...................Southampton manager Mauricio Pochettino says he will follow executive chairman Nicola Cortese out of the club if he decides to leave.

Cortese is looking for renewed backing from the trust that owns the club before he decides whether to remain in his position. The Italian businessman wants the Liebherr trust to underwrite his strategy for Southampton to consolidate themselves in the Premier League.

A source close to Cortese, who has overseen Saints rise from League One to the top flight, said yesterday he will make a decision on whether to remain as chairman within the next month. It is understood that Cortese's current frustration centres on those in charge of the trust knowing little about football and not committing themselves to his plans. Pochettino has confirmed if Cortese leaves, so will he.

Asked if he would be staying if Cortese left, the Argentinian said: "Of course not, because the person that has put his faith in me in this club and as a manager is Nicola Cortese.

"Nicola Cortese has basically been the reality at Southampton for the past four years.

"Of course, the people that are in the club, that are part of the club, that are behind the scenes in the club were a little bit worried about what has been said.

"Me on a personal sense, I would not understand a Southampton without Nicola being here."

Cortese has told the trust he wants to take Southampton to the next level and wants them to support his strategy for doing so, including committing itself to underwriting some modest investment.

Cortese feels he has proved he has handled the club well and his decision, controversial at the time, to replace Nigel Adkins with Pochettino four months ago has paid off with the Saints having all but secured Premier League status for next season.

Cortese was instrumental in the purchase of Southampton in 2009 by Swiss businessman Markus Liebherr, who died suddenly the following year and the club is now owned by the Liebherr trust.

"When I first arrived here, nobody knew who Mauricio Pochettino was," the Saints manager added.

"Nicola put his faith in me and knew me from way, way back.

"When I got to know his project, we were basically on the same wavelength as to what we wanted for Southampton in the future.

"Basically, my future in Southampton has to be with Nicola."

yes.....but im more interested in what Spurs do and dont do. All im saying is that i hope Levy isnt so narrow minded to reject FdB just because he spoke to the media about Spurs contacting Ajax.

I was trying to highlight how unreasonable the "missing out on FdB could be like missing out on Suarez" is.

I don't think he is that narrow minded.

The difference with rodgers and martinez is that they both brought teams up from the Championship and kept them there whereas Poch has come in to the EPL and taken an avcerage team to an average position, his record at Espanyol before that was hardly exceptional. I would much sooner see an established manager come in rather than another "possible genius".
I agree and would add that the other difference with the Rodgers situation is that at the end of his first season when they finished about 8th, the club kept faith and gave him time. It is a fact that we don't give any manager time and therefore we don't have the time to pick a potentially average manager who needs a bit more time. I'd be all for a Rodgers or Martinez or pochettino if they were going to be given 2 seasons as a minimum, but knowing what we know we might as well cut to the chase and go for candidate who is most likely to bring success in the shortest time.

we haven't had a media savvy manager since Jol ( and before that maybe venables?).

Harry to an extent was. A media savvy manager isn't something that bothers me so much but should keep the blood thirsty masses quiet. The things Tim said didn't bother me, I appreciate honesty and cannot stand the cliches and dullness of most manager and player interviews. They sound like politicians.

Re: ITK Thread

Sherwood would still be in a job if he'd used a translator. Better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt…

classic

I agree and would add that the other difference with the Rodgers situation is that at the end of his first season when they finished about 8th, the club kept faith and gave him time. It is a fact that we don't give any manager time and therefore we don't have the time to pick a potentially average manager who needs a bit more time. I'd be all for a Rodgers or Martinez or pochettino if they were going to be given 2 seasons as a minimum, but knowing what we know we might as well cut to the chase and go for candidate who is most likely to bring success in the shortest time.

I disagree completely.

Did Liverpool give Hodgson time? Did Liverpool give Dalglish time? Did they ****.

Rodgers was kept after his first season after finishing 7th, the season before that they had finished 8th. AVB was kept after his first season after finishing 5th, the season before that we had finished 4th. How can that be seen as Liverpool keeping faith and giving time without also extending the same to us?

well Poch himself has proven to be outspoken too...................Southampton manager Mauricio Pochettino says he will follow executive chairman Nicola Cortese out of the club if he decides to leave.

Cortese is looking for renewed backing from the trust that owns the club before he decides whether to remain in his position. The Italian businessman wants the Liebherr trust to underwrite his strategy for Southampton to consolidate themselves in the Premier League.

A source close to Cortese, who has overseen Saints rise from League One to the top flight, said yesterday he will make a decision on whether to remain as chairman within the next month. It is understood that Cortese's current frustration centres on those in charge of the trust knowing little about football and not committing themselves to his plans. Pochettino has confirmed if Cortese leaves, so will he.

Asked if he would be staying if Cortese left, the Argentinian said: "Of course not, because the person that has put his faith in me in this club and as a manager is Nicola Cortese.

"Nicola Cortese has basically been the reality at Southampton for the past four years.

"Of course, the people that are in the club, that are part of the club, that are behind the scenes in the club were a little bit worried about what has been said.

"Me on a personal sense, I would not understand a Southampton without Nicola being here."

Cortese has told the trust he wants to take Southampton to the next level and wants them to support his strategy for doing so, including committing itself to underwriting some modest investment.

Cortese feels he has proved he has handled the club well and his decision, controversial at the time, to replace Nigel Adkins with Pochettino four months ago has paid off with the Saints having all but secured Premier League status for next season.

Cortese was instrumental in the purchase of Southampton in 2009 by Swiss businessman Markus Liebherr, who died suddenly the following year and the club is now owned by the Liebherr trust.

"When I first arrived here, nobody knew who Mauricio Pochettino was," the Saints manager added.

"Nicola put his faith in me and knew me from way, way back.

"When I got to know his project, we were basically on the same wavelength as to what we wanted for Southampton in the future.

"Basically, my future in Southampton has to be with Nicola."

I have a feeling showing extreme loyalty to the chairman that hired him will be seen as a negative by Levy.

Really annoys me that Rogers is heralded as an exceptional manager.

Liverpool have been playing one game a week for most of the season, with no key injuries, the best striker in the world - and still couldn't win the title.
This apparant genius couldn't tactically alter the chelsea game even tho Chelsea were playing predictable and one way for 90 minutes and when 3 - 0 up against palace brings on an attacking player subsequently loosing a 3 goal lead. He is defensively naive and has a lot of luck on his side.

He is also mostly TERRIBLE in the transfer market. Luckily this hasn't been exposed as his first 11 is never injured.

Lets see how he fairs next year with 2 games a week, more injuries, fatigue, less time to prepare for each game and possibly not having a 30 goal a season striker

They will never finish in the top 3 again

Last edited:
Have you not seen what happens when the press go after a manager? They turn the tide of public opinion against them.... Examples are Hoddle with England or AVB at Chelsea.

You just watch - if we end up being managed by Pochettino then I bet we see him doing his interviews in English.

I doubt he will get away with any thing less
In my opinion he is the biggest risk of all the managers publicly linked
And to be fair a tad of a anti climax

I have a feeling showing extreme loyalty to the chairman that hired him will be seen as a negative by Levy.

:) how about standing by the club, players, fans no matter if the bloke who brought you in is moving on. It was a bit childish of Poch to be fair

I doubt he will get away with any thing less
In my opinion he is the biggest risk of all the managers publicly linked
And to be fair a tad of a anti climax

A huge anti-climax. If Sherwood gets himself a job this summer I'm certain he'll out last Poch.

http://www.theguardian.com/football...tim-sherwood-tottenham-hotspur-manager-sacked

the guardian poll closes tomorrow, fdb still ahead but moyes is neck to neck with benitez and poch !

Who should Tottenham Hotspur appoint to replace Tim Sherwood?

14% Mauricio Pochettino
26% Frank de Boer
15% Rafa Benítez
13% David Moyes
5% Michael Laudrup
12% Jürgen Klinsmann
1% Leonardo
2% Roberto Mancini
7% Glenn Hoddle
4% Gus Poyet
<tbody> </tbody>
Poll closes in 1 day

ahhh like he makes such a good job himself of picking managers :lol: maybe its about time he paid some attention to who the fans actually want.

Hoddle?

Santini was also recruited as a big name to appease the fans as Arnesen wanted Jol I believe.

Southampton players are convinced manager Mauricio Pochettino will leave the club this summer.

The Argentinian has made a huge impact at St Mary's since his arrival midway through last season.

Pochettino is a leading contender to replace the sacked Tim Sherwood at Tottenham this summer.

Spurs are expected to make an official approach to Southampton to speak to Pochettino this week.

And there is a feeling among members of the Saints squad that Pochettino has his heart set on a move to White Hart Lane ahead of next season.

There is a greater fear among players that the core of the Saints' squad will disband this summer.

Adam Lallana and Luke Shaw are both set to leave St Mary's this summer - while Calum Chambers and Morgan Schneiderlin are targets for Arsenal.

Sportsmail understands Shaw has told his Southampton team-mates that he is joining Manchester United this summer, while Lallana has indicated to pals that last season was likely to be his final one in a Saints shirt.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-2628151/Southampton-players-think-Mauricio-Pochettino-leave-summer-Tottenham-likely-destination.html

Poch would be pretty good for us and funnily I think Sherwood would be pretty decent at Southampton. He will trust their youth players, and they will have a lot of good ones coming through.

Have you not seen what happens when the press go after a manager? They turn the tide of public opinion against them.... Examples are Hoddle with England or AVB at Chelsea.

You just watch - if we end up being managed by Pochettino then I bet we see him doing his interviews in English.

I agree. I think his position at Spurs would be untenable if he would not carry out his media duties in English.

http://www.theguardian.com/football...tim-sherwood-tottenham-hotspur-manager-sacked

the guardian poll closes tomorrow, fdb still ahead but moyes is neck to neck with benitez and poch !

Who should Tottenham Hotspur appoint to replace Tim Sherwood?

14% Mauricio Pochettino
26% Frank de Boer
15% Rafa Benítez
13% David Moyes
5% Michael Laudrup
12% Jürgen Klinsmann
1% Leonardo
2% Roberto Mancini
7% Glenn Hoddle
4% Gus Poyet
<tbody> </tbody>
Poll closes in 1 day