• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Next Spurs Manager v.2

Who do you want?

• Louis Van Gaal

Votes: 8 6.6%
  • Mauro Pochettino

Votes: 9 7.4%
  • Frank de Boer

Votes: 43 35.5%
  • Roberto Martinez

Votes: 16 13.2%
  • Carlo Ancelotti

Votes: 10 8.3%
  • Murat Yakin

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Thomas Tuchel

Votes: 2 1.7%
  • Rafa Benitez

Votes: 29 24.0%
  • Someone Else

Votes: 4 3.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Thank **** Levy doesn't run the club based on straw polls on the internet.

The rest of your post is based purely on speculation from what seems the most dubious of sources.

the dubious sources have been pretty spot on so far about whats happening at Spurs

I wonder if the same people talking about how average pochettino is now were also talking about how average Martínez and Rodgers were when they were managing Swansea and Wigan?

Nope the average tag was mine I think so you may tar me with that brush I like tar so unaffected ;)

I stand by my thought that patch is average at the moment in my opinion
he may turn out amazing but again I will ask what has he done to warrant him getting the job at spurs ??

Just for the record I wanted martinez instead of avb it is very well documented just not on here ;)
I would not have touched avb with a flag pole

Poch is the most media savvy (use of a translator he doesn't need is very clever).

While he is able to get away with this at a relatively small club tucked away on the South Coast like Southampton. I don't think he would be able to get away with that for us (especially with the London based national media).

if you take the above poll as a representative, 40% of fans want FdB and 6% want Poch.......and yet it seems Levy wants Poch and is angry at FdB for blabbing to the press. So we get the guy very few Spurs want just because Levy cannot handle being exposed.

I don't think that a poll on here is necessarily representative of Spurs fans as a whole.

I think that a lot of the appeal of FdB is that he is new and glamorous.

We don't know whether Levy has been put off by FdB speaking out. It is all speculation. For all we know Poch could have been his preferred candidate for some time.

Those 3 would cost around £70 million.... Unfortunately we spunked that money last summer so I doubt we'll have anything like that to spend again.

I know, there's also compensation for Pochettino. But we could offload a lot of players to make up the outlay. And if the rumours about Lloris, Verts, Paulinho, Soldado are true, we'll have lots of money to spend again.

Pochatinno has changed agent, now none other than the infamous Jonathan Barnett, Bales agent and friend of Levy, is his new representative :-k..........i think its pretty clear now who our next boss will be for a couple of 5th place finishes before he jets off to Real;)...http://www.offthepost.info/blog/201...campaign=Feed:+offthepost/TLAa+(Off+The+Post)

Yeah - I saw that yesterday. Barnett is supposed to be very good mates with Levy (the reason we signed Siggy and probably the reason he started representing Bale in the first place)

if you take the above poll as a representative, 40% of fans want FdB and 6% want Poch.......and yet it seems Levy wants Poch and is angry at FdB for blabbing to the press. So we get the guy very few Spurs want just because Levy cannot handle being exposed.

I like this response to that point (last 3 paragraphs):

http://www.glory-glory.co.uk/showthread.php/6222-ITK-Thread/page4?p=556427#post556427

Some ITK reckons our owner wants Pochettino but Levy wants Rafa.

No details though and probably BS to be fair.

That doesn't really make sense. Lewis is at such arms' length I can't imagine him having any opinion about Poch (pre-interview anyway). Levy has got to work with the guy, so you'd expect him to favour the more malleable candidates, which isn't Benitez.

I wonder would the poll be affected by much if people thought that we had a realistic chance of getting Martinez?

I still think there are question marks over him (similar to FdB and Poch). The main criticism of him - that his defences crumble the longer he is in post - hasn't been tested at Everton yet.

I wonder if the same people talking about how average pochettino is now were also talking about how average Martínez and Rodgers were when they were managing Swansea and Wigan?

Agree. If anything there were more questions about both of them (Rodgers failure at Reading, who was responsible for the success at Swansea, Martinez's defences etc.)

I haven't said that Pochettino is average. I think that he has done very well with Southampton. If he is our next manager I'd be pretty happy, especially if he brought Llanana, Shaw and Rodriguez with him. We could settle SCBC's debts for them at a stroke.

I would however prefer Martinez right now. He looks like he is going to be a top top manager.
We're not going to spend £70m+ this summer. Especially not on two players who play in the same positions as Eriksen and Lamela.

diego_maradona;55651 9 said:
Poll is a bit misleading, I think a lot of people would still be happy with Poch

a poll could be done with a point system 1st 2nd and third 3 2 and 1 points for each respectively
I guess that might give a better outcome
but poch would struggle to get in that 3 for me especially if the more unlikely candidates are in there ?

Poll is a bit misleading, I think a lot of people would still be happy with Poch

thats probably true. Still, if there was a chance of getting FdB i think we should take it. I think the majority of the fans would be hugely united and behind the appointment in a way we havent been for many previous choices

While he is able to get away with this at a relatively small club tucked away on the South Coast like Southampton. I don't think he would be able to get away with that for us (especially with the London based national media).

What are they going to do about it? He's fulfilling his contractual obligations to the FA/EPL

I know, there's also compensation for Pochettino. But we could offload a lot of players to make up the outlay. And if the rumours about Lloris, Verts, Paulinho, Soldado are true, we'll have lots of money to spend again.

Poch has only one year left on his contract. His compo would be less than FdB who has about 3 left.

I think the whole point of going for the coaches we are going for is that we won't be turning over players - they are coaches being recruited to work with our squad.

Re: ITK Thread

It seems to be the best fit for the club, though. I'm sure F De Boer looks a sexier appointment, I'm sure Rafa has won more, I'm sure you could make a case for anyone.

Pochettino ticks most of the boxes for Levy, the club, how we operate and our ideology:

etc, etc, etc.......

Really good post mate. I think you are spot on with your thoughts.

passing up on FdB could end up being as bad as when we rejected the opportunity to bring in Suarez from Ajax....sliding door moments. Our other dealing with Ajax have been excellent, Eriksen and Vertonghen. Come on Levy, go Dutch!!!

passing up on FdB could end up being as bad as when we rejected the opportunity to bring in Suarez from Ajax....sliding door moments. Our other dealing with Ajax have been excellent, Eriksen and Vertonghen. Come on Levy, go Dutch!!!

Would it be equally valid to say that passing up on Poch could end up being as bad as when other clubs passed up on Bale?

What are they going to do about it? He's fulfilling his contractual obligations to the FA/EPL

Have you not seen what happens when the press go after a manager? They turn the tide of public opinion against them.... Examples are Hoddle with England or AVB at Chelsea.

You just watch - if we end up being managed by Pochettino then I bet we see him doing his interviews in English.

Really good post mate. I think you are spot on with your thoughts.

The only way we can tell that is by performance. Remember AVB being the one?

Sh!t football, hardly if ever gave the young'uns a chance, wanted players on silly wages, isolated people, stubborn as f@ck etc

I'll start judging our new manager come 5pm on the first day of the season, unless it's live again ;)

Poch has only one year left on his contract. His compo would be less than FdB who has about 3 left.

Not necessarily - this will depend on the specifics of the contract with respect to the break clauses (either way) that were inserted. For example the compensation figure that the FA would've had to have paid for Redknapp was very large - despite him only having just over a year left on his contract.

The difference with rodgers and martinez is that they both brought teams up from the Championship and kept them there whereas Poch has come in to the EPL and taken an avcerage team to an average position, his record at Espanyol before that was hardly exceptional. I would much sooner see an established manager come in rather than another "possible genius".

Sh!t football, hardly if ever gave the young'uns a chance, wanted players on silly wages, isolated people, stubborn as f@ck etc

I'll start judging our new manager come 5pm on the first day of the season, unless it's live again ;)

I meant "good post" in terms of NWND's thoughts on the way that Levy is thinking - not with respect to whether or not Poch (or any of the others) would be the right appointment.

Would it be equally valid to say that passing up on Poch could end up being as bad as when other clubs passed up on Bale?

yes.....but im more interested in what Spurs do and dont do. All im saying is that i hope Levy isnt so narrow minded to reject FdB just because he spoke to the media about Spurs contacting Ajax.

Of course you can only really judge once they're in the job, but Levy's task isn't to make sure things will go right, that's ultimately out of his, or anyone else's control. His task is to pick the managerial appointment that has the best chance of going well, taking into account all factors, and as chairman and owner, him and Lewis have a duty to look into things a lot more than us fans do, read up on all of the candidates, interview them, see their ideas, ask people who have worked under and with them, think about what they want and how they will work with them and then make a decision based on who looks the most likely to do well given the circumstances they have to work under.

MY point is that looking at all the candidates, I think Pochettino has the LEAST potential for it all going pear-shaped and the MOST likelihood of working well with ENIC and their wishes. The only downside to Pochettino is that he's the one least likely to appease the fans demands for a "big name". That problems stems from the fact that Southampton play in the Premiership and are seen as a small club. So regardless of the fact that I think Poch's Southampton side would have walked the Eiredivisie, the fact that the Ajax name and brand resonates and that they won the league there, means people think De Boer is a sexier name, and Benitez won the CL with Liverpool & Valencia as well as the Spanish league.

I think though that Levy wants the best man for the job, not the one who is going to shut the fans up. He's been down that route with the Hoddle appointment and he knows our most successful manager appointed by him (Redknapp) was not wanted by the majority of fans.

Benitez = costly severance package with Napoli, known for playing defensive football, likes to spend money on expensive signings, will probably want the squad extensively reshaped, known for making a few 'unhinged' comments to the media
De Boer = gobbed off in the media quite a bit, unproven outside of a small league and only managed the biggest club in a small league. Seen some strange capitulations of his teams and poor European performance, pretty gobby in the media, again very possession based football that would be seen as 'slow' in the Premiership.

Given that the managers most likely to be the 'least risk' or 'most chance of success' will probably be moving onto bigger & better things than Spurs (come on, let's forget about appointing someone like LVG or Ancelotti), then like the Modrics and Bales we sign and develop, any managerial appoinment is going to be a risk. We have to take a leap of faith like Liverpool did with Rogers and do our research and pick the candidate most likely to step up their game in a pressurised environment.

At this stage, it looks like Pochettino is that man to me.

Back