• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Next Spurs Manager v.2

Who do you want?

• Louis Van Gaal

Votes: 8 6.6%
  • Mauro Pochettino

Votes: 9 7.4%
  • Frank de Boer

Votes: 43 35.5%
  • Roberto Martinez

Votes: 16 13.2%
  • Carlo Ancelotti

Votes: 10 8.3%
  • Murat Yakin

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Thomas Tuchel

Votes: 2 1.7%
  • Rafa Benitez

Votes: 29 24.0%
  • Someone Else

Votes: 4 3.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
what is our philosphy aside from push and run?
Push and run? Not too sure that describes us now. In fact I find myself shouting at the players for their lack of movement sometimes, but it has improved under Sherwood a little but at the cost of some defensive stability.

At the risk of going off on a rant I think we have players that stand and stare at the ball out of possession too much, and they have been allowed to get away with it from multiple coaches, not just Tim. High pressure is a team game and one we have not mastered yet. Under AVB we nearly had it for a while but I think the players gave up on it (and him) towards the end and it resulted in a few spankings by teams that were clever enough to exploit the space. It is all or nothing I guess but amazingly effective when carried through effectively. The Guardiola Barca team were unplayable because of their amazing discipline chasing the ball down when they lost it. Sherwood has neglected this whole aspect of the game IMO but strangely it has not resulted in more defeats.:-k

I don't follow the Dutch league at all, but I see Ajax have only conceded 26 goals this season, by far the lowest amount in the league. In what way has their defending been so shocking (honest question btw!)?

I don't follow the Dutch league at all, but I see Ajax have only conceded 26 goals this season, by far the lowest amount in the league. In what way has their defending been so shocking (honest question btw!)?

It hasn't, I've been reading up on Ajax under De Boer and he prefers a high press system where they effectively play 2-3-4-1 without the ball, with both wingers pushed right onto the opposition defence.

It works most of the time, but the average age of their team is in the early 20's so its all gone to pot on a couple of occasions, which is understandable.

Apart from the defence, one thing his brother mentioned the other day in an interview, was that he knows Eriksen, Vertonghen, Dembele and Chadli very well.

Dembele & Chadli were extremely highly rated in Holland and still are. I think Dembele especially has been criminally under used at Spurs, he should be a player with license to break forward into the box with his power and dribbling ability and lay it off or shoot. He's got amazing ability and people have pointed the finger at him for under utilising it, but he was turning into a beast at Fulham, which is why we bought him and I think he was a beast for us for short time when he had Sandro sitting alongside him letting him roam. He has been hamstrung by AVB forcing him to play the DM role alongside Parker after Sandro's injury, where Parker clearly had the instructions to be the one that broke into the box, which IMO was just bizarre. Then this season, he's often been the only fit midfielder who could realistically play the DM role with any effectiveness as Sandro & Capoue have missed large parts of the season.

So we haven't seen the real Dembele.

Chadli too was a beast for Twente and I believe he was considered by many to be the best player in the Eiredivise. His best role is as a wide forward in a 4-3-3, which I thought when we bought him we'd use and his signing was finally us backing AVB to move to his preferred 4-3-3 formation. Thing is AVB didn't use him in this role or formation and then while Sherwood has used him, he seems to be attempting to convert him to a 2nd striker. Could happen, but I think if De Boer got the job, we might see Chadli, Eriksen & Dembele pushed forward considerably and see the best out of these players as a result.

It hasn't, I've been reading up on Ajax under De Boer and he prefers a high press system where they effectively play 2-3-4-1 without the ball, with both wingers pushed right onto the opposition defence.

It works most of the time, but the average age of their team is in the early 20's so its all gone to pot on a couple of occasions, which is understandable.

Apart from the defence, one thing his brother mentioned the other day in an interview, was that he knows Eriksen, Vertonghen, Dembele and Chadli very well.

Dembele & Chadli were extremely highly rated in Holland and still are. I think Dembele especially has been criminally under used at Spurs, he should be a player with license to break forward into the box with his power and dribbling ability and lay it off or shoot. He's got amazing ability and people have pointed the finger at him for under utilising it, but he was turning into a beast at Fulham, which is why we bought him and I think he was a beast for us for short time when he had Sandro sitting alongside him letting him roam. He has been hamstrung by AVB forcing him to play the DM role alongside Parker after Sandro's injury, where Parker clearly had the instructions to be the one that broke into the box, which IMO was just bizarre. Then this season, he's often been the only fit midfielder who could realistically play the DM role with any effectiveness as Sandro & Capoue have missed large parts of the season.

So we haven't seen the real Dembele.

Chadli too was a beast for Twente and I believe he was considered by many to be the best player in the Eiredivise. His best role is as a wide forward in a 4-3-3, which I thought when we bought him we'd use and his signing was finally us backing AVB to move to his preferred 4-3-3 formation. Thing is AVB didn't use him in this role or formation and then while Sherwood has used him, he seems to be attempting to convert him to a 2nd striker. Could happen, but I think if De Boer got the job, we might see Chadli, Eriksen & Dembele pushed forward considerably and see the best out of these players as a result.

A fine post mate. Good reading.

I've been thinking about the nationality of our manager and I'm convinced we need someone from a Germanic country (English, German, Dutch, Scandinavian, etc) rather than someone from a Latin country. I just don't know why that is but I feel our players respond better to them. Not sure if it's a cultural thing, an approach to football?? There is limited evidence of it but not enough to form proof (well we hardly keep a manager long enough!).

This is about someone coming from abroad rather than someone who is already managing or played in the U.K.

That's why when I see LVG, FDB I feel they may be a better fit culturally into the club. We have a list of Italians too and admittedly I'm not as familiar but not sure they would fit as well?

You do have the exceptions as mentioned like Benitez, Poch, etc who have managed here and I'm sure would be okay but perhaps not?

I follow Ajax in Holland and AC Milan in Italy, anyway Ajax as good as they are going forward have put in some shocking performances defensively, I would be happy for him to come but I hope people give him more time then they have Sherwood because we will have to put up with some poor defensive displays.

To be honest im not a purist, I like to watch good football and if that means we are relatively open but successful - thats fine by me. I think FDB would have a lot more time than AVB did. I think the majority would be happy with FDB but there was a split when AVB took over... I for one didnt want him at all. A charlatan as far as im concerned.

I really do want FDB, the only Manager out there that excites me and to be honest ive not even seen Ajax so its based on an utter and total hunch.

You have to ask questions of DeBoers poor record in games in Europe.
These are the only game he's managed against non dutch teams.

Champion's League is pretty poor but he's come up against top teams.

0v5ZhCE.jpg

Europa League results are hardly inspiring.

KJW1KeF.jpg

That's nothing new though. Ajax are no better than Celtic compared to the rest of Europe. There's no money in the Dutch league.

That's nothing new though. Ajax are no better than Celtic compared to the rest of Europe. There's no money in the Dutch league.

Then the next question has to be: what makes FDB better than Neil Lennon?:-k

I have to say the games vs City and Barca in recent times put him in a very good light...and then I see the Salzburg results and say WTF??
In fact can anyone explain the Salzburg results please?

I do fear that in certain games in this league we may get pummeled under FDB, at least in the first season or so...

Bayern had 69% possession against Real the other day, lost 0-4.

Salzburg are simply better than Ajax, but doesn't mean they have to have the ball most of the time.

Armchair Expert will be a good person to ask, i seem to recall him being a big 'fan' of this current Salzburg team and had tipped them as dark horses for the EL at the beginning of the season.

Salzburg are simply better than Ajax, but doesn't mean they have to have the ball most of the time.

Eh, since when? And how come?

Before this season I'd hardly heard of Salzburg, what has suddenly made them better than Ajax, especially considering that they are in the Austrian league, which surely is not as good/competitive than the Dutch?

Who manages Salzburg then?
No dont mind that they got dingdonged by Basel in the next round and we all know who manages Basel. And his contract is up this summer.
Murat Yakin is a much better record than DeBoer really. DeBoer would be brought in really for what he can do with the youth structure and his English would be better.

The Salzburg manager has already agreed to take over at Leverkusen next season.

I was gonna mention Basel as well. Those two are both better than Ajax IMO, but FdB is a big name.

Two years ago our old pal Ricardo Moniz was Salzburg manager. He's since been fired by Ferencvaros and is now in charge of Lechia Gdansk.

Salzburg's sporting director is also in charge of Red Bull Leipzig.

Back