• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

New New Manager Poll (The Lets Get It Right This Time Edition)

Who Do You Want Then?

• Poch

Votes: 58 43.3%
  • Gallardo

Votes: 7 5.2%
  • De Zerbi

Votes: 2 1.5%
  • Enrique

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • Carrick

• Kompany

• Other

Votes: 23 17.2%
  • Tuchel

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Nagelsmann

Votes: 24 17.9%
  • Slot

Votes: 17 12.7%

• Total voters
I never understand why people talk of a release fee of circa £10m as being a factor that might put us off. We spent double that on Spence, and a manager is more important than a right back. Even if it was £25m, if Slot is identified as being the right man to come in then the fee would definitely be worth paying.

I’m definitely of the mind that Slot would be an excellent choice to come in.

He reminds me of Martin Jol in his demeanour. A guy that has a lot of character and would become quickly popular with our supporters. He is passionate and talks openly whilst being mindful of avoiding certain subjects he says as much as he can. I think he will be popular with the players due to his openness and his passion. I do hope that this would stop players running to Levy every time there is an issue too.

He plays attacking football and more of a style that matches that which is closer to our ideologies. He will make active changes and encourage his team to attack even going a bit gung ho if he feels that this is what’s needed to get back in to a match. I’d rather lose 4-0 trying to get back in to a match than to lose 2-0 just through giving up as a) better fo go out with a fight than and whimper and b) I know that if we throw everything at the opponent there will be times in which we succeed in overcoming the deficit.

Lastly, he appears able to improve players and to make the most of the players in his squad. That’s important when we’re less financially loaded than many of the teams around us. Plus it’s what put me off in large parts about Conte and Mourinho who both seemed as if they needed the finished article and who I can’t say really improved any of our players, at least I don’t see evidence that they did. I know Conte has got the most out of players elsewhere with a key example being Moses, but with us, if anything, we saw more players decline in performance levels as Son and Kulusevski were both so poor this season compared to what we had seen in Conte’s opening time at our club.

This is all my expectation and understanding and so maybe others disagree with me. But I’m definitely excited about the prospect of Slot joining us.

Last edited:
I never understand why people talk of a release fee of circa £10m as being a factor that might put us off. We spent double that on Spence, and a manager is more important than a right back. Even if it was £25m, if Slot is identified as being the right man to come in then the fee would definitely be worth paying.

He reminds me of Martin Jol in his demeanour. A guy that has a lot of character and would become quickly popular with our supporters. He is passionate and talks openly whilst being mindful of avoiding certain subjects he says as much as he can. I think he will be popular with the players due to his openness and his passion. I do hope that this would stop players running to Levy every time there is an issue too.

He plays attacking football and more of a style that matches that which is closer to our ideologies. He will make active changes and encourage his team to attack even going a bit gung ho if he feels that this is what’s needed to get back in to a match. I’d rather lose 4-0 trying to get back in to a match than to lose 2-0 just through giving up as a) better fo go out with a fight than and whimper and b) I know that if we throw everything at the opponent there will be timed in which we succeed in overcoming the deficit.

Lastly, he appears able to improve players and to make the most of the players in his squad. That’s important when we’re less financially loaded than many of the teams around us. Plus it’s what put me off in large parts about Conte and Mourinho who both seemed as if they needed the finished article and who I can’t say really improved any of our players, at least I don’t see evidence that they did. I know Conte has got the most out of players elsewhere with a key example being Moses, but with us, if anything, we saw more players decline in performance levels as Son and Kulusevski were both so poor this season compared to what we had seen in Conte’s opening time at our club.

This is all my expectation and understanding and so maybe others disagree with me. But I’m definitely excited about the prospect of Slot joining us.

So what you are essentially saying is... with Slot we are going to win the world cup

I know it's paper talk and all that, but "considering", ffs get a move on.
I think the timeline is just stretched out because we are in the market weeks before the season ended.
If Conte had stayed until this Sunday, you'd have given this less thought.

And if it is Slot, nothing concrete was going to happen before Feyenoord secured their title. It's clear we would have sounded Slot out as there's no point speaking to Feyenoord first, for Slot then to say he's not interested.

Slot goes in today, tells them he wants to speak to us....and then we speak to Feyenoord.

Most of the people involved are probably looking to fudge off on a two week holiday tbh.

so it sounds like it's Slot, and i definitely am excited about the potential, but maybe that is just excitement to have a manager who doesn't stick 7 defenders on or play a deep block?

Reservations of course, the Dutch league, not many managers have made the grade in the PL. Now, Feyenoord won the title and that's not to be sniffed at (their second this century i think), but Ajax are obviously struggling with the lost of ETH. winning the league takes luck and certainly feels Feyenoord had the right timing to be there when the wheels came off elsewhere.

Personally i would rather RDZ over Slot as we have seen him in action in the PL (knows the league), but cant see why he would leave Brighton where he has lots of control and direction vs our absolute car crash clown car of a club.

if it isnt RDZ, then Slot it is and i am happy with that. However, with Poch and Naglesmann both available... still would prefer either of those to Slot i think.

so it sounds like it's Slot, and i definitely am excited about the potential, but maybe that is just excitement to have a manager who doesn't stick 7 defenders on or play a deep block?

Reservations of course, the Dutch league, not many managers have made the grade in the PL. Now, Feyenoord won the title and that's not to be sniffed at (their second this century i think), but Ajax are obviously struggling with the lost of ETH. winning the league takes luck and certainly feels Feyenoord had the right timing to be there when the wheels came off elsewhere.

Personally i would rather RDZ over Slot as we have seen him in action in the PL (knows the league), but cant see why he would leave Brighton where he has lots of control and direction vs our absolute car crash clown car of a club.

if it isnt RDZ, then Slot it is and i am happy with that. However, with Poch and Naglesmann both available... still would prefer either of those to Slot i think.
How much control and direction does RDZ have at Brighton.?

It's more likely he's doing well because he's a good coach, the control and direction is left to the Brighton hierarchy.

That's the path we are reported to take. So RDZ and Slot fit that ....Poch and JN not as much as they want too much control/influence.

How much control and direction does RDZ have at Brighton.?

It's more likely he's doing well because he's a good coach, the control and direction is left to the Brighton hierarchy.

That's the path we are reported to take. So RDZ and Slot fit that ....Poch and JN not as much as they want too much control/influence.

Yeh, its unlikely that he has much control as they have a system to pick the players, they are not letting a manager pick randoms.

More a case of him being a pure coach and moulding what they get for him

Last edited:

I'm quite encouraged by all this considering:
1) Slot took over from the rather negative Advocaat and was able to quite swiftly implement a drastically different style
2) He was able to survive the gutting of his squad last summer and actually re-engineer Feyenoord into a unit that achieved even more despite a number of new signings and the loss of seemingly important players.

Last edited:
I'm quite encouraged by considering:
1) Slot took over from the rather negative Advocaat and was able to quite swiftly implement a drastically different style
2) He was able to survive the gutting of his squad last summer and actually re-engineer Feyenoord into a unit that achieved even more despite a number of new signings and the loss of seemingly important players.
The thing that worries me about #2 is that the Dutch league is a lower standard than ours. A few Janssens and Bergwijns from the youth squad might have been enough for Feyenoord, but it's not going to cut it at/near the top of the Prem.

Still, most of what I'm hearing bodes well. A flexible coach with an attacking philosophy (and not just a counter-attacking one) would be lovely.

The thing that worries me about #2 is that the Dutch league is a lower standard than ours. A few Janssens and Bergwijns from the youth squad might have been enough for Feyenoord, but it's not going to cut it at/near the top of the Prem.

Still, most of what I'm hearing bodes well. A flexible coach with an attacking philosophy (and not just a counter-attacking one) would be lovely.

It's more the principle that he was quickly able to adapt to wholesale change rather than requiring a slowly assembled team that had to have months of his methods being drilled into them before they could implement what he wanted.
Of course that led to a more extreme positive in the Dutch League than you'd expect in the PL, but hopefully the broad principle is true: that Slot can quickly get players up to speed and working how he wants.

It's more the principle that he was quickly able to adapt to wholesale change rather than requiring a slowly assembled team that had to have months of his methods being drilled into them before they could implement what he wanted.
Of course that led to a more extreme positive in the Dutch League than you'd expect in the PL, but hopefully the broad principle is true: that Slot can quickly get players up to speed and working how he wants.
Quite. We've tried a couple of serial winners, which really didn't work. For whatever reasons. Short of offering Ancelotti a briefcase full of cash (which he'd be an idiot to take), it's time to go back to the hungry young guys.

He plays attacking football and more of a style that matches that which is closer to our ideologies. He will make active changes and encourage his team to attack even going a bit gung ho if he feels that this is what’s needed to get back in to a match. I’d rather lose 4-0 trying to get back in to a match than to lose 2-0 just through giving up as a) better fo go out with a fight than and whimper and b) I know that if we throw everything at the opponent there will be times in which we succeed in overcoming the deficit.

Sums it up for me and i do agree with you. I must admit my first choce would have been Naglesmann however the more i read about Slot the more i am looking forward to having him here. Fingers crossed.

maybe it would be worth looking at slots record vs ETH

he beat him twice with AZ and his team were level with ETHs team in the league before it got canned because of COVID.

I think it takes quite a bit to 'cut it' at the top of the PL as various 'top 6' teams find out from one season to the next.

You can spend money to short circuit that, but the amounts United and now Chelsea have spent doesn't bring guarantees. Not even a top manager worked for us or guarantees anything.

Poch was our best try so far. He never had a big budget and came solely on some good work at Saints. So....

I think it takes quite a bit to 'cut it' at the top of the PL as various 'top 6' teams find out from one season to the next.

You can spend money to short circuit that, but the amounts United and now Chelsea have spent doesn't bring guarantees. Not even a top manager worked for us or guarantees anything.

Poch was our best try so far. He never had a big budget and came solely on some good work at Saints. So....
And Poch did inherit some great players
Do we have some great players not reaching their maximum?
I think so

But ... the teams at the top and that wins the trophies have spent lots of money but spent it well...

If you could call it unrealistic but we have to be somewhere in the middle of Brightons model and Liverpools; in that we identify players and can bleed them into the fold but then also pepper the team with some genuinely class players that can make the difference.

If you blend the Liverpool team with Brighton, as a simple exercise, I think you would have to say that they could compete with Emirates Marketing Project.

But ... the teams at the top and that wins the trophies have spent lots of money but spent it well...

If you could call it unrealistic but we have to be somewhere in the middle of Brightons model and Liverpools; in that we identify players and can bleed them into the fold but then also pepper the team with some genuinely class players that can make the difference.

If you blend the Liverpool team with Brighton, as a simple exercise, I think you would have to say that they could compete with Emirates Marketing Project.

pool have had a mare in the transfer market too
Look at two do the guys leaving now for free

the key is a philosophy that allows for relevant recruitment. It has to be off a system not a coach. That needs a DOF and a structure. Pool had that. Brighton had that. Both have just lit big players in their clubs who managed that. So what they do next is gonna be interesting

Back