• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

New New Manager Poll (The Lets Get It Right This Time Edition)

Who Do You Want Then?

• Poch

Votes: 58 43.3%
  • Gallardo

Votes: 7 5.2%
  • De Zerbi

Votes: 2 1.5%
  • Enrique

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • Carrick

• Kompany

• Other

Votes: 23 17.2%
  • Tuchel

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Nagelsmann

Votes: 24 17.9%
  • Slot

Votes: 17 12.7%

• Total voters
It was always a bit chicken and egg with the manager/DofF situation....ie which first and whom do you please.

Do you let a new manager dictate who the DofF is? When its the upper level staff that (hopefully) transcends managers?

Hopefully the sweet spot is the club think they've employed and excellent DofF and so does the manager. Obvious as it sounds.

I think maybe it's good that the potential manager wants to know who the DoF will be, afterall they will have a big role to play in how he can do his job - if you took a job and then the DoF is appointed after and you don't share the same ideas then you're in trouble before you've got going

I think maybe it's good that the potential manager wants to know who the DoF will be, afterall they will have a big role to play in how he can do his job - if you took a job and then the DoF is appointed after and you don't share the same ideas then you're in trouble before you've got going

The DoF should be a liason between manager and boardroom. The board tell the DoF the budget, constraints and expectations.... the manager tells the DoF what it will take to achieve the expectations by providing a list of players on the wish list to make it work. The DoF works hard to get the players in, meanwhile feeding back to the manager of potential players that may meet his demand in his system of play.

The board leave them to it.

The DoF should be a liason between manager and boardroom. The board tell the DoF the budget, constraints and expectations.... the manager tells the DoF what it will take to achieve the expectations by providing a list of players on the wish list to make it work. The DoF works hard to get the players in, meanwhile feeding back to the manager of potential players that may meet his demand in his system of play.

Yeah essentially that's the case

That means the manager needs to oversee all the scouting etc. That's a huge chunk of his week taken up which is better focussed on matches in my view

However if you're saying that the manager tells the DoF what position/type of player he wants (eg keeper who's good with his feet, ball-playing DM etc) and leaves the DoF to pursue them then I'd agree with you

That means the manager needs to oversee all the scouting etc. That's a huge chunk of his week taken up which is better focussed on matches in my view

However if you're saying that the manager tells the DoF what position/type of player he wants (eg keeper who's good with his feet, ball-playing DM etc) and leaves the DoF to pursue them then I'd agree with you

Not really, the manager would have a list of players that he would have had an eye on from previous scouting or management. The scouting network would have been debreifed about system and player profile required. The DoF does the initial negotiations for targets, with the manager involved in the latter stages.

The scouting network and youth teams would build around the targets.

Manager would have an idea of specific players in some circumstances, in others he'd just have an idea of the type of qualities he requires in transfer targets
Exactly, I think people have a really unrealistic view on football and how it works in the real world.

Sent from my SM-A127F using Fapatalk

Exactly, I think people have a really unrealistic view on football and how it works in the real world.

Sent from my SM-A127F using Fapatalk

There is no defining way to utilising a DoF, from my understanding the all have differing remits and expectations

Ahy bad, I didn't fully take in that last paragraph, your first sentence was rather absolute on the only possibility is about Levy not convincing him. If it doesn't feel right for JN then whatever Levy will say / can offer won't matter. And there could be some surprise high profile jobs that come up between now and the start of next season.

It's a gamble for both club and manager but I guess that could be said of any appointment ever...
The only surprise opening would be PSG. Would he fancy PSG? My guess is probably not, but you never know.

I don't see any other surprise openings, unless United completely bottles it and loses CL to Pool. Or if Saudi Sportswashing Machine decides out of the blue to let Howe go. That's pretty much it.

Being concerned about who the DoF will be is much better than concern about immediate transfer budget. It suggests he sees the job as a long term prospect and wants to build something.

I don't know why journalists write articles like below. The manager is arguably the most important single component of a successful team and you can't buy a decent squad player for 10 million. Many clubs pay more in agent fees each year.

Tottenham face hefty compensation bill to appoint Julian Nagelsmann

Tottenham Hotspur face having to pay an expensive compensation bill to land top target Julian Nagelsmann as the club’s next permanent head coach.

Nagelsmann remains the number one target of chairman Daniel Levy, having already been approached over the job, but will not consider an offer until he knows who will be Tottenham’s next director of football.

The German was put on gardening leave by Bayern Munich and Telegraph Sport understands that will still be the case at the end of this season.

Sources believe the compensation bill Bayern would be due for Nagelsmann could run past the £10 million mark and the 35-year-old was also on a big salary at Bayern, making him the most expensive option for Spurs and Levy.

B list according to you ... no one is going to be Poch ... and he isn't coming.
But he's head and shoulders above anyone else available. The outstanding candidate by a country mike.

And he's only not coming at the moment because our Marcomms lady has the hump. How completely shambolic is that?

But he's head and shoulders above anyone else available. The outstanding candidate by a country mike.

And he's only not coming at the moment because our Marcomms lady has the hump. How completely shambolic is that?

I love Poch but you are starting to push it over the edge now, he is not ahead by a country mile.....

He and JN are out in front on paper - both have differing potential downsides. The rest all seem more on the punt side to me
How are they comparable? One is our best manager in 40 years, who led us to league runner up and a dodgy handball away from a CL win. The other had some ok progress at bottom half teams in germany, then got booted out of Bayern after a year for being a massive bellend and falling out with all his players and board

How are they comparable? One is our best manager in 40 years, who led us to league runner up and a dodgy handball away from a CL win. The other had some ok progress at bottom half teams in germany, then got booted out of Bayern after a year for being a massive bellend and falling out with all his players and board
You are making a complete fool of yourself now (again).
It's beyond ridiculous now.

Ok progress? What JN done at Hoffenheim is arguably more impressive than Pochs time at Spurs, he then followed that up by stepping up to bigger/better clubs, twice, and doing good jobs. He didn't fail at Bayern, no more so than it can be argued that Poch did at PSG. I'm not going to waste my time talking with you about the Bayern fallout stuff as frankly it's minor at best and as usual you're bigging something up to suit your opinion, clashes of personalities happen, doesn't alter the on the pitch performance wrt evaluating a persons ability as a manager. As i said both managers have differing downsides, JNs would be that there are some (small) question marks over the Bayern fallout. Factually on paper both Poch & JN have done similar jobs and to the wider footballing world would be considered on a similar standing and is what i was getting at with my post.

Back