• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Nabil Bentaleb

To be fair to @Yoof when he posts he lays out the pros and cons of the youth players; i don't think i've ever seen him 'defending all home grown players'...

Fair enough, however i go to every game and all i hear from a lot of fans when certain players are not doing well is, " cut him some slack after all he is one of our own". Now i do not care where a player comes from that plays in our team if they are not doing well they deserve to be spoken about and not above criticism.

Fair enough, however i go to every game and all i hear from a lot of fans when certain players are not doing well is, " cut him some slack after all he is one of our own". Now i do not care where a player comes from that plays in our team if they are not doing well they deserve to be spoken about and not above criticism.

The same goes for other players as well doesn't it? Like Eriksen: would it be fair for you to be accused of "defending all players bought for millions into the club" just because you think he isn't doing as badly as others think?

There is an interesting question here. If Bentaleb had been bought for £15m and not worked his way though the youth ranks, would you, Yoof and others be so abashed at his exit?

Sitting on my porcelain throne using glory-glory.co.uk mobile app

I'm not abashed at his exit. I back the manager 100℅ to get rid of any player who does not buy into his method or who he thinks isn't good enough.

I'm thinking his looming exit really has more to do with his desire for minutes on the pitch. Like any player he wants to play and dislodging a first teamer doesn't look easy nor likely. Bentaleb is more than good enough to be a squad player at Spurs and is young enough to improve into a real first team player. I don't think he has the patience to wait around now that he's tasted a full season playing in the PL, and his agent I'm sure wants him to move too.

Last edited:
It does not matter where the 'good' players come from it's just how good they truly are and do the fit with the current managers vision and ethos. Fitting in is vital!

If a player is homegrown or comes from Mars it matters not a jot.

IMHO of course :cool:

It's always been like this, as a kid I thought Medwin should have been ahead of Dyson and Mel Hopkins was unlucky not to be in the team. Poor old Les Allen had a great season when we won the league and only got back in the side when someone was injured. Fans will always have their favourites but in the end it's the team and the results they get that counts.

It does not matter where the 'good' players come from it's just how good they truly are and do the fit with the current managers vision and ethos. Fitting in is vital!

If a player is homegrown or comes from Mars it matters not a jot.

IMHO of course :cool:

Spot on.

As discussed in previous posts on this thread - I don't think Bentaleb's ability has got anything to do with Poch wanting rid of him. This was literally only a year ago:

bentaleb_contract_730.jpg

You don't pick someone as first choice for a year, then offer them a big new contract only to freeze them out if you don't think they're good enough. Especially when Mason and Carroll aren't exactly setting the world alight in their absence.

Without any doubt - Poch and Bentaleb have had some sort of falling out, and Poch has iced him, like he has done with every other player he's managed throughout his career that didn't tow the company line. Nothing to do with him being a disposable "home grown", this is a man who signed Dani Osvaldo for a club record fee then sent hi him out on loan to Juventus the very next transfer window because he was being disruptive.

As I've said before, I think he is good enough talent wise to have a very good career in football. But as Chelsea's squad showed last year, good team spirit is so important. And if Poch feels like he's undermining him in any way, then I respect his decision to let him go on the basis that we're adequately covered in his position.

@SUIYHA do you think Bentaleb is worthy of a starting place in the current team?

Sitting on my porcelain throne using glory-glory.co.uk mobile app

I know I am not Suiyha - but IMHO he is far more deserving than certain other players in the current lineup. Poch sees them in training and knows more about them. That is fair enough. I would love to know more about why Nabil is leaving Spurs despite having a break out season not long ago. He was once touted as one of the great successes of our youth development system. What exactly is this issue that cant be managed / coached out of him?

Personally I think Bentaleb's Spurs career was over when he made his comeback last year (cant remember against who, think it was a cup game), came off the bench and within about 10 mins flicked the ball over an opponents head about 30 yards from our own goal. His showboating came off but there were far easier short passes available - I remember the camera cut to Poch who looked severely p1ssed off.

Poch values the team over the individual and, whilst he likes craetive players (Eriksen, Lamela etc) they need to have common sense and some pragmatism.

If everyone is fit, no way.

^ That's the key. Bentaleb was 18 when he broke into the team. In November he'll be 22.

He's played at a World Cup, he can hold his own at a high level, but he didn't take his chances with us last season. Bentaleb is a good player without being outstanding. Maybe he will become a better player with games, so he needs to move. He knows this. Its logical. All the fall out stuff, while maybe true, is secondary and probably caused by the fact he needs to play first team football. He wants to go, and because of this, he won't be training with the first team.

£15m for Poch to put towards a new player is not to be sniffed at either. So it is win win. Maybe he'll become a £25m player, but he's not going to while playing a bit part for us.

Last edited:
^ That's the key. Bentaleb was 18 when he broke into the team. In November he'll be 22.

He's played at a World Cup, he can hold his own at a high level, but he didn't take his chances with us last season. Bentaleb is a good player without being outstanding. Maybe he will become a better player with games, so he needs to move. He knows this. Its logical. All the fall out stuff, while maybe true, is secondary and probably caused by the fact he needs to play first team football. He wants to go, and because of this, he won't be training with the first team.

£15m for Poch to put towards a new player is not to be sniffed at either. So it is win win. Maybe he'll become a £25m player, but he's not going to while playing a bit part for us.
Yep that's my take on it too.

Back