• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Nabil Bentaleb

If it is true that he has had a poor attitude off field then moving him on is exactly the right thing to do. This club has needed a manager who will raise our standards off field and on for decades.

Really? All I see is Carroll playing the safe ball, sideways and backwards.

I'm sure others may see it differently...

I think that is greatly under selling his passing range/ability if I'm honest - his quick passing and one touch game is very strong and he always finds players in space/good positions (which shows good awareness) - he does make a lot of safe backwards/sideways passes but then I don't think he does that at the expense of better/more incisive passes if they are on - he is capable of those as well and from I have seen makes them at as good a rate as anyone else in our team.

last season he was often brought on in instances where we were leading games and were perhaps looking to see out a leading position - so perhps under instruction to keep it simple and help the team keep possession?

I have to say that I am surprised that this is happening, and this is a test of faith. However, the only other time that Poch has been this clear with players is with Ade, Lennon and Paulinho. He was right with all 3 of those and so I will keep the faith with his judgement. They were predominently attitude related as well, so I can only assume that it is the case here. I will say however, that I was looking forward to seeing how Bentaleb and Pritchard would progress this season. As @milo said, if it is true that they have been showing a poor attitude, then getting rid is exactly the right thing to do. It is an example to the other players that showing poor behaviour is only ever going to lead to the exit door.

As for Poch's comments reducing their value, that may be the case. But in Levy we have a pretty shrewd negotiator so I doubt that we will lose too much if at all.

Carroll's issue for me is lack of drive and aggression. He's just a bit flimsy. Modric, Mason, Ardiles - all are similar body sizes, but are/were just much more assertive and tougher.

Carroll has always reminded me of Vinnie Samways. He eventually left and had a good career in a far less physical league (Spain)

As @milo said, if it is true that they have been showing a poor attitude, then getting rid is exactly the right thing to do. It is an example to the other players that showing poor behaviour is only ever going to lead to the exit door.

Absolutely. Accepting second best and allowing players to stay in their comfort zones has lead to decades of mediocrity at the club. We need to turn the club into somewhere where players are desperate to play and will bust a gut to stay. We don't have the luxury of being able to outspend the five richer clubs in the league, so if we want to compete, the players have to push themselves and we cannot afford to have any passengers.

I have to say that I am surprised that this is happening, and this is a test of faith. However, the only other time that Poch has been this clear with players is with Ade, Lennon and Paulinho. He was right with all 3 of those and so I will keep the faith with his judgement. They were predominently attitude related as well, so I can only assume that it is the case here. I will say however, that I was looking forward to seeing how Bentaleb and Pritchard would progress this season. As @milo said, if it is true that they have been showing a poor attitude, then getting rid is exactly the right thing to do. It is an example to the other players that showing poor behaviour is only ever going to lead to the exit door.

As for Poch's comments reducing their value, that may be the case. But in Levy we have a pretty shrewd negotiator so I doubt that we will lose too much if at all.

All eyes on whether Onomah (Pritchard) and Winks (Bentaleb) can do what Kane (Ade), Mason (Paulinho), Bentaleb (Capoue) and Rose (BAE) did 18 months ago.

All eyes on whether Onomah (Pritchard) and Winks (Bentaleb) can do what Kane (Ade), Mason (Paulinho), Bentaleb (Capoue) and Rose (BAE) did 18 months ago.

We'll see what Poch does but for me it would be Edwards (Pritchard), Onomah (Bentaleb) and Winks (Carroll or Mason if either go).

It is a surprise because of his age, and the promise he showed. It is tough to move him on, but the team has just finished 3rd, had an amazing season with the meanest defence and a decent goal return...largely without Bentaleb. The bar has been raised. For the squad to improve again, we need to cull some very decent players. I'm sure it was a tough decision for the club, but a necessary one.

The reason he is being moved on imo, is that whilst he showed promise, ultimatly he didn't deliver enough: in training, and in the few games he had last season. It is harsh considering his age, but we have to make room for better players, and the next crop of youth players.

Last edited:
Well the question is ...Is this a kick up the jacksi loan move or do we want rid for good. If the latter then I hope the baldy freakish one insists on a sell on clause. Seems such a shame with his ability. Though ability is worthless with poor attitude...If the stories of that be true. Do we have any reliable info that his attitude is a bit gash?

Interestingly the academy is becoming and good source of income.

Caulker was sold for 8 mill, Townsend for 12 mill, Livermore 5 mill. That's 25 mill right there.

Bentaleb and Pritchard should fetch a combined 15-20 mill easily

One day Mason and Carrol will surely leave and that should bring in about 15 mill

So a potential 60 mill from a group of kids who played together at various points for our academy/reserves in 2010-13.

And if Harry goes, you can add I guess 100-150 mill to that figure;)

Really? All I see is Carroll playing the safe ball, sideways and backwards.

I'm sure others may see it differently...
I'm tired of seeing this old chestnut trotted out, it' just ain't true. Watch him closer and you'll see the very opposite is his strength. Sure, like every other player on the planet he sometimes passes sideways or backwards, of course he does, but he's always on the lookout for the telling forward pass, as well as running about making himself available to others so they have an easy option.

I might get a lot of abuse for this but personally I haven't seen too much yet to justify all the hype around Onomah. Edwards and Winks seem to have more promise to me

I'm tired of seeing this old chestnut trotted out, it' just ain't true. Watch him closer and you'll see the very opposite is his strength. Sure, like every other player on the planet he sometimes passes sideways or backwards, of course he does, but he's always on the lookout for the telling forward pass, as well as running about making himself available to others so they have an easy option.

These are my thoughts as well, Carroll is a very good player and is always on the move and looking for the killer pass. He does remind me a little of Modric ( before i get jumped on for saying that i did say reminds me). Always availible for a pass and finding the right angles to receive one.

He is the type of player who does not get noticed and his off the ball work is not seen by many on the TV, for me i hope we keep him because we do not really have a player with his strengths.

These are my thoughts as well, Carroll is a very good player and is always on the move and looking for the killer pass. He does remind me a little of Modric ( before i get jumped on for saying that i did say reminds me). Always availible for a pass and finding the right angles to receive one.

He is the type of player who does not get noticed and his off the ball work is not seen by many on the TV, for me i hope we keep him because we do not really have a player with his strengths.
And Brad Friedel once said during US commentary that Carroll is one of the most skilled players at the club during his time. With Poch developing him whom knows (apart from those on here who have never seen him train but know he's not good enough for Norwich).

Edit: My question was answered elsewhere.

Sounds a bit harsh to just put it like these in a press conference, but I guess the players must already know and it will end speculation. Sorry to see Bentaleb go, as I had very high hopes for him. He really looked like he could be something special two years back, but as usual I trust the decision.

Back