• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Nabil Bentaleb

If he had that kind of potential i doubt we'd be showing him the door - maybe the transfer fee we receive when he is sold and/or the stature of the buying club will give some indication as to whether you're close to the mark on that or not. Having signed a new contract last year we should really be looking for close to 20m-30m if he has anywhere near the level of potential of Dier/Alli, my guess is it'd be more in the 5m-10m region - which will reflect on him as being an ok prospect, which i certainly think he is.

Carroll would probably benefit from playing in a more technical league like Spain undoubtedly - his awareness/passing ability and technique are only held back by his slight stature, sadly for him and players of his kind in this country the football here is very unforgiving - hopefully he can over come that, i wouldn't put money on it though.

It reminds me a bit of Ferguson selling Norman Whiteside

I think he will go to PSG

Lots of good players have some sort of 'attitude'. I'm not sure it's a good idea to bomb out promising talents because they have shown an 'attitude'.

Who will be next out the door?what if a super talent like Marcus Edwards shows some attitude?

nothing is as black and white as that nor is it a case of what happens in one instance repeats itself in another.

i don't know if that was anymore than speculation/rumor - assuming it was true and that you're using this as a counter to my point about us not letting a big prospect go then id be inclined to respond that Lamela would have gone for a fair amount of money (reflecting his potential) whereas Bentaleb won't (reflecting his)

http://www.espnfc.co.uk/story/2594129/marseille-missed-out-lamela-after-spurs-failed-on-berahino

Lamela was coming off the back of two poor(to put it mildly) seasons so I don't think we'd have gotten a great price for him, maybe half what we paid if we were lucky. Regardless of the fee though clubs don't get it right 100% of the time and neither does Pochettino. Even if Bentaleb goes for a pittance it doesn't define the quality or potential he has, ultimately only time will tell us that.

Lets keep 'em all, be great to have a lot of 28 year olds with potential and a bit of an attitude problem, don't really want to win anything anyway.

Feel uneasy about letting him go. This is another instance where poch tests our faith. If its what he deems best then after all his efforts for us then i choose to trust...But that feeling of unease wont go away.

http://www.espnfc.co.uk/story/2594129/marseille-missed-out-lamela-after-spurs-failed-on-berahino

Lamela was coming off the back of two poor(to put it mildly) seasons so I don't think we'd have gotten a great price for him, maybe half what we paid if we were lucky. Regardless of the fee though clubs don't get it right 100% of the time and neither does Pochettino. Even if Bentaleb goes for a pittance it doesn't define the quality or potential he has, ultimately only time will tell us that.

fair do's i hadn't seen those quotes before (or couldn't remember reading them...)

well i guess it's hypothetical still with regards to my initial point as we don't know the figures involved with Lamela to Marseilles - id wager it would have been more or less what we would have paid for Berahino (23m region wasn't it?)

of course clubs can get it wrong with players and it's possible that Pochettino has got it wrong with Bentaleb - i don't see him as much more than an ok prospect and i think his future career path will reflect that. Id have kept him around as backup to Dembele - but i guess Poch has his reasons for not feeling the same

True - but maybe be that blunt behind closed doors!
Possibly but loads of media and us pesky fans scrutiny these days. If i was one of the three i would only be cheesed if my manager had told the media first. Which he has not done. Not sure it makes much of a difference on value. I am sure he will have 5-6 serious suitors after him.

i don't think there is much between Bentaleb/Carroll and Mason - arguably Carroll is the most technically gifted of the three and certainly the best passer of them but his defensive contribution/physicality probably holds him back. Mason/Bentaleb have more energy/are more physically imposing but i imagine it's a question of attitude which has ultimately seen Bentaleb lose out

Unlike Bentaleb or Mason at no time have I thought seriously about starting Carroll in midfield in a North London Derby if I was serious about winning it, so on that point alone I reject the fact there there is not much difference between them.

Also when you consider both Bentaleb and Tom Carroll came through our youth ranks is says something that Carroll at 24 has played in just 24 league matches (majority of them as a sub) while Bentaleb at 21 has played 46 league matches (majority of them starting) so I have to disagree and say there is a big difference between the players.

But I will back the maanger

Unlike Bentaleb or Mason at no time have I thought seriously about starting Carroll in midfield in a North London Derby if I was serious about winning it, so on that point alone I reject the fact there there is not much difference between them.

Also when you consider both Bentaleb and Tom Carroll came through our youth ranks is says something that Carroll at 24 has played in just 24 league matches (majority of them as a sub) while Bentaleb at 21 has played 46 league matches (majority of them starting) so I have to disagree and say there is a big difference between the players.

But I will back the maanger

i guess what i meant was purely in terms of footballing ability there is not much between them - physically Carroll is behind Bentaleb (by a fair distance tbf) and has some way to go to catch up with Mason even. i would say it's because of that lack of physicality that he and Bentalebs appearances differ so wildly - i think had Carroll developed more in size/strength he would have got his chance far earlier - similar story with Mason tbf and i think that Mason being able to improve that side of his game since Poch arrived has given hope that Carroll can do the same, however it's no doubt last chance saloon for him.

i guess what i meant was purely in terms of footballing ability there is not much between them - physically Carroll is behind Bentaleb (by a fair distance tbf) and has some way to go to catch up with Mason even. i would say it's because of that lack of physicality that he and Bentalebs appearances differ so wildly - i think had Carroll developed more in size/strength he would have got his chance far earlier - similar story with Mason tbf and i think that Mason being able to improve that side of his game since Poch arrived has given hope that Carroll can do the same, however it's no doubt last chance saloon for him.

I don't think it's lack of physicality that's the issue, Modric was lightweight, it's about positioning and ability to pick the right pass at the right time, both of which he needs to improve on.

I don't think it's lack of physicality that's the issue, Modric was lightweight, it's about positioning and ability to pick the right pass at the right time, both of which he needs to improve on.

Carroll has both of those things in abundance imo, in fact id say they are his main strengths - Modric may have been slight of size but he had a strength and doggedness on the ball which meant he could impose himself far better than Carroll can - he's the perfect example of what Carroll should be aiming for - how being small in stature doesn't have the equate to being lightweight.

Will back poch on this one but I fear this is a mistake. 14/15 bentelab looked one of the best young number 8s in europe. His intelligence, skill and athleticism was top draw.I think something must have gone really wrong last year and poch has been ruthless.

A) I think poch will turn to onomah to replace him as a CM rather than sign someone else. (Risky)

B) not sure why carroll is still here as when the going got tough last year he folded time and time again

Carroll does not possess the same athleticism as modric nor does he have his bravery - carroll does not use his body at all and jumps out of taxkles time and time again. Maybe being a bit harsh but would have thought that he was the obvious one to leave.

Carroll has both of those things in abundance imo, in fact id say they are his main strengths - Modric may have been slight of size but he had a strength and doggedness on the ball which meant he could impose himself far better than Carroll can - he's the perfect example of what Carroll should be aiming for - how being small in stature doesn't have the equate to being lightweight.

Really? All I see is Carroll playing the safe ball, sideways and backwards.

I'm sure others may see it differently...

It reminds me a bit of Ferguson selling Norman Whiteside

I think he will go to PSG

The reasons Ferguson sold Whiteside were two fold, his knees had gone ( he retired from playing 18 months after signing for Everton) (2) Fergie was getting rid of the drinking culture ( which was there at the time) and Whiteside along with McGrath ( who he also got rid of)were two of the major culprits.

Back