• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Moussa Sissoko

He was in the team because he played well, consistently better than Dier, Winks or Wanyama, not because he was a "favourite." If he was the latter he wouldn't have spent his first two seasons as a bit part player.

He didnt play well he was terrible when we moved to 2 man midfield and he was supposed to track back. He never knew how and when to do it.

He was the ultimate Poch favourite. Poch created a second player of the season trophy just for him. After Son won it.

He didnt play well he was terrible when we moved to 2 man midfield and he was supposed to track back. He never knew how and when to do it.

He was the ultimate Poch favourite. Poch created a second player of the season trophy just for him. After Son won it.
The fact he was the best we had was a sad indictment on the squad.

Poch managed him brilliantly so as to get a limited player to play out of his skin.

Very unfair. Poch wanted Winaldjum remember? He also wanted players in at the start of pre-season. He got Sissoko on a panic at the last minute. That he cultivated a player from the entire situation actually further marks him as a true genius.

He has been ok for us over the last few seasons ( despite what the haters think), however i fully expect that Dier will begiven more games under Jose ( which i hope happens) so we may see Sissoko moved on if not in Jan then in the summer.

https://www.hitc.com/en-gb/2019/11/...-why-moussa-sissoko-didnt-start-for-tottenha/

I am not sure we will see much more of him - the key lines

"What made me [start Winks and Dier] was the positional play of the four attacking players," Mourinho told BBC Sport. "I needed one midfielder that was more positional and I needed one midfield that was more a passer of the ball.

"Of course, when I see Moussa, he is a very good player, but he is very different than my needs. I need that stability from Dier and I need the kid to move the ball faster, also positionally and also to find the attacking players in the positions we want them to find the ball."

Seems like a polite way of calling him average.

https://www.hitc.com/en-gb/2019/11/...-why-moussa-sissoko-didnt-start-for-tottenha/

"What made me [start Winks and Dier] was the positional play of the four attacking players," Mourinho told BBC Sport. "I needed one midfielder that was more positional and I needed one midfield that was more a passer of the ball.

"Of course, when I see Moussa, he is a very good player, but he is very different than my needs. I need that stability from Dier and I need the kid to move the ball faster, also positionally and also to find the attacking players in the positions we want them to find the ball."

Jose isn't the type to hand out compliments willy nilly.

I agree, except I'd replace "interesting" with "promising"

No disagreement here.

Seems surprisingly honest. Could have said a lot of different things. Just one comment, time will tell, but saying that a player has different qualities than he needs seems quite telling on the surface at least.

If that is what he actually means it's quite different than Sissoko having different qualities than he needed for that particular game for example.

No disagreement here.

Seems surprisingly honest. Could have said a lot of different things. Just one comment, time will tell, but saying that a player has different qualities than he needs seems quite telling on the surface at least.

If that is what he actually means it's quite different than Sissoko having different qualities than he needed for that particular game for example.
No disagreement here.

I can see us bringing in a DM in Jan - Matic more than likely and off loading Sissoko.

Then you have Dier/Matic and Winks/Lo celso as rotation

Correction: brick.

[emoji38][emoji38][emoji38]

It does also suggest that Winks and Ndombele will be fighting it out for one position, that of the passer from deep, which is promising. Where Lo Celso fits under Mourinho (and even Poch tbh) im not sure.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6003 using Fapatalk

Lo Celso operates from deep right? So it could be Winks and him that fight it out, with Ndombele deployed further forward.

However he talks of the passer being quick at finding the attacking players in the right positions. Ndombele’s passing has been superb in this regard so we could have 3 fighting it out for that one spot. JM will have a selection dilemma soon. Nice problem to have though.

We now seem very light in the DM position.

Personally I think Lo Celso might be able to play in Moura's spot vs West Ham. (With Aurier providing width on that side, I think the attacking midfielder can come inside much more - effectively playing as a second no.10 alongside Alli). It would be a shame to have Ndombele, Lo Celso and Winks all competing for one spot!

Of course who knows how indicative our shape vs West Ham was of how Jose will set the team up for the rest of the season. I'm interested to find out.

Will he ever play in central midfield again?
If he plays anywhere, it should be centrally. He is absolutely useless on the right, as Poch eventually found out after playing him there initially. It was only after being moved in centrally he became a useful player, mostly defensively and in transitions. I actually think his passing has got better too with time. He is capable of playing a quick pass forward at times now.

I think it's a bit difficult to find the right combination in central midfield. Sissoko lacks a bit of quality, but without him we lack legs there. Eriksen and Winks, like we played today after the sub, is just not strong enough defensively in many games. Dier has more of a defensive presence, but it's been a while since we saw him at his best. Ndombele has shown that he can pass forwards quickly, but he probably needs some defensive cover alongside him.

Did well today. This is how Poch started to make use of him about 2.5 years ago, to close out games. He was very good at it, then his confidence grew and became decent squad player. Not sure he’s a starter under the current regime, but I think Jose will be happy to keep him in the squad.

Was an interesting substitution and I thought Sissoko did well. Seemed to me to be playing quite narrow, allowing Aurier to attack on the outside whilst giving us a bit more physicality nearer the centre. On the other side Son stayed quite wide and higher up the pitch making it look more like a 4-3-3 at times (not saying we played 4-3-3).

Was a surprising sub to me despite the similar sub in the West Ham game, I think I've just grown used to the way Pochettino used to do things.

Back