• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Moussa Sissoko

If he plays anywhere, it should be centrally. He is absolutely useless on the right, as Poch eventually found out after playing him there initially. It was only after being moved in centrally he became a useful player, mostly defensively and in transitions. I actually think his passing has got better too with time. He is capable of playing a quick pass forward at times now.

I think it's a bit difficult to find the right combination in central midfield. Sissoko lacks a bit of quality, but without him we lack legs there. Eriksen and Winks, like we played today after the sub, is just not strong enough defensively in many games. Dier has more of a defensive presence, but it's been a while since we saw him at his best. Ndombele has shown that he can pass forwards quickly, but he probably needs some defensive cover alongside him.

I disagree. For the reasons you point out, it's very difficult to get the balance right with him in the centre, so often there seems to be a shortage of something in there.

Still early days, but the way Mourinho is using him and the way Pochettino used him at the start is perhaps the best way to get the best out of him?

Less about where he plays, more about the game conditions he plays in. He often looked useful for Saudi Sportswashing Machine against us, I think for the same reasons.

I think its notable just how lacking in quality he is when he comes on.

You spend most of the game watching top players, even when off form - and he comes on and looks like an amateur.

Ive been delighted so far with him not starting, though a little dismayed at him coming off the bench.

He did "ok" yesterday, no more. My hope is we see him on the field less and less as Jose gets a handle on NDombele/Lo Celso etc.

Substitute who can cover a few different positions is the right role for Sissoko at Spurs I think. I think Dier is another one who needs to be moved to this same role for Spurs soon.

I think its notable just how lacking in quality he is when he comes on.

You spend most of the game watching top players, even when off form - and he comes on and looks like an amateur.

Ive been delighted so far with him not starting, though a little dismayed at him coming off the bench.

He did "ok" yesterday, no more. My hope is we see him on the field less and less as Jose gets a handle on NDombele/Lo Celso etc.
I liked that bit where he did that little roll over trick to wrong foot a defender and then spazzed his 3 yard pass.

Interesting post braineclipse ^^

We're really struggling to come up with a quality "pair" for midfield in a 4231.

It feels natural that one should be a DM i.e. Dier... but he was too slow recently, can he up his agility? Why is he wearing an XXXL shirt, is he tubby?

So I was wondering if we would be forced to go 433 to ensure the right mix in midfield i.e. Dier can just sit there like a centre back, allowing 2 ballers from Winks/Ndombele/LoCelso/Eriksen/Sissoko/Dele.

But it seems like Dele playing off Kane is a huge part of the plan... and Son out wide... so how are we going to make the formation make sense?

With Aurier morphing from the back 4 into a winger, we seem to be going for a double wonky with all sorts of movement e.g. replace Moura with LoCelso and ask him to drop into pockets of space in midfield, rather than being a wide attacker?

Interesting post braineclipse ^^

We're really struggling to come up with a quality "pair" for midfield in a 4231.

It feels natural that one should be a DM i.e. Dier... but he was too slow recently, can he up his agility? Why is he wearing an XXXL shirt, is he tubby?

So I was wondering if we would be forced to go 433 to ensure the right mix in midfield i.e. Dier can just sit there like a centre back, allowing 2 ballers from Winks/Ndombele/LoCelso/Eriksen/Sissoko/Dele.

But it seems like Dele playing off Kane is a huge part of the plan... and Son out wide... so how are we going to make the formation make sense?

With Aurier morphing from the back 4 into a winger, we seem to be going for a double wonky with all sorts of movement e.g. replace Moura with LoCelso and ask him to drop into pockets of space in midfield, rather than being a wide attacker?
Cheers.

I think the focus on Dele, his position and role is fully warranted. He's one of the key players in the team and he's a player that if he fully develops could be immense for the club. He's also not been at his best for some time and being played deeper and wide hasn't been the way to get the best out of Alli.

What I will say is that when he's been played deeper it's rarely been part of a midfield three as two of the box to box midfielders. From what I can remember that has actually worked quite well when tried, it's a very different role to one of the deep roles in our 4-2-3-1. In a midfield three one of the box to box roles can be more attacking than the other. If my memory serves me that was quite often the case with Lampard at Chelsea, though that could be my memory being flawed.

For now at least I'm perfectly happy keeping Alli where he is and trying to find the right balance behind him. Dier should be given time.

The wide roles are massively interesting. So far it's been classic Mourinho, players with pace, no room for wide playmaker types. I have no idea how that will be going forward.

Cheers.

I think the focus on Dele, his position and role is fully warranted. He's one of the key players in the team and he's a player that if he fully develops could be immense for the club. He's also not been at his best for some time and being played deeper and wide hasn't been the way to get the best out of Alli.

What I will say is that when he's been played deeper it's rarely been part of a midfield three as two of the box to box midfielders. From what I can remember that has actually worked quite well when tried, it's a very different role to one of the deep roles in our 4-2-3-1. In a midfield three one of the box to box roles can be more attacking than the other. If my memory serves me that was quite often the case with Lampard at Chelsea, though that could be my memory being flawed.

For now at least I'm perfectly happy keeping Alli where he is and trying to find the right balance behind him. Dier should be given time.

The wide roles are massively interesting. So far it's been classic Mourinho, players with pace, no room for wide playmaker types. I have no idea how that will be going forward.

What about Joe Cole at Chelsea, Di Maria at Madrid and Mata at United?

(Not just directed at you Brain) I think some people are exaggerating the extent to which Jose has had set ideas in the past on the system he plays and the players he fills it with - I think it’s been fairly varied over the years hasn’t it?

Sissoko could be the screening player. Sissoko wouldn’t have been brushed off the ball as Winks was twice last game (where we conceded).

Leaving the 2 new players to one side,Poch probably had it right in that Sissoko and Winks is the best we have in CM right now. Its not a CL level midfield but until Dier improves, Ndombele steps up or we sign someone else, is it the best midfield we have?

Sitting on my porcelain throne using glory-glory.co.uk mobile app

Sissoko could be the screening player. Sissoko wouldn’t have been brushed off the ball as Winks was twice last game (where we conceded).

Leaving the 2 new players to one side,Poch probably had it right in that Sissoko and Winks is the best we have in CM right now. Its not a CL level midfield but until Dier improves, Ndombele steps up or we sign someone else, is it the best midfield we have?

No as the best performances from the midfield we saw this season pre Jose were midfields with Ndombele present. Winks/Sissoko is a substandard pairing, the don't complement each nor cover each other's weaknesses. Playing or being forced to play that pairing is a large part of what has led to the eventual sacking of Poch.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6003 using Fapatalk

I know what you mean about Sissoko not being brushed off as easily as Winks. But equally I'm not sure he's actually any good at winning the ball back from the opposition. Here's tackling and interception stats per 90 mins from the PL this season:

Ndombele: 2.8 tackles, 1.1 interceptions
Winks: 1.8 tackles, 1.1 interceptions
Sissoko: 0.9 tackles, 0.3 interceptions

It's something I've noticed about Moussa - he's good at tracking runs and defending stoutly when covering for his full-back. But in central areas you just hardly ever see him winning the ball back for some reason.

I know what you mean about Sissoko not being brushed off as easily as Winks. But equally I'm not sure he's actually any good at winning the ball back from the opposition. Here's tackling and interception stats per 90 mins from the PL this season:

It's something I've noticed about Moussa - he's good at tracking runs and defending stoutly when covering for his full-back. But in central areas you just hardly ever see him winning the ball back for some reason.
His doesn't actually have a y defensive nous, the player has to basically in his vicinity for him to take part, he has no anticipation or defensive reading it's all reactive. You see his best work when he's backing up whomever is at RB and that's usually because teh opposition have some into his zone. Otherwise he's not particularly defensively aware.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6003 using Fapatalk

Nah Sissoko has such presence attackers just run away from him!

In all seriousness, I agree, Winks and Sissoko cost Poch his job. And midfield remains our weakness. I would say that Winks and Sissoko are quite opposite as players, and in that sense they compliment. One passes well, the other has physicality, one is quick over 5 yards, the other over 15+ meters etc.

The thing is, who do you select to improve on them? Both Winks and Sissoko are mid-level Prem quality with some stand-out ability - they can both put in elite-level performances. It's not consistent, and both have weaknesses - Sissko is not technical enough, Winks gets bullied defensively etc. Yet good players, and unless you think Ndombele or LeCelco should play in CM, who would improve on them?

Dier can develop. I believe in him. Mourinho does or did. But I think it would take Dier a couple of months to bed in. Mourinho won't give that time. Dier needs to play games and develop. Maybe he can improve more quickly. Mourinho maybe can pull that out of him. But I think he needs more time than Mourinho or fans will give, a run of 10+ games.

We've forgotten Wanyama. Again the fellah needs games. He's not played a run of games for years. Hard to say where he is physically or mentally.

Last edited:

He doesn't press much either.

What about Joe Cole at Chelsea, Di Maria at Madrid and Mata at United?

(Not just directed at you Brain) I think some people are exaggerating the extent to which Jose has had set ideas in the past on the system he plays and the players he fills it with - I think it’s been fairly varied over the years hasn’t it?
I definitely agree. Brought this up elsewhere as well, but I might not have made myself clear. I think he has a preference, stronger than some other managers, but it's not some absolutist black and white thing.

Just think it's interesting that we've seen that preference quite clearly in his first games here, in contrast to Pochettino. And it's worked quite well.

Back