• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Moussa Sissoko

The two posts above by Fernandez and Scara epitomize this whole thread, both taking polar opposite views when the reality, as always, is somewhere in the middle.

I personally cannot understand how anyone can call Sissoko a good player, but, last night he had a good game, don't think he was MOTM but generally he did well.

Last night he wasn't the messiah but neither was he a very naughty boy.

I can see why some people would think he wasn't. It's exciting for them to act like they have some superior football knowledge.

Unless a goal is scored all attacks end up with the other team having the ball so not really sure what your point is there. He's frequently been poor but is playing better and yesterday he was the best of ours on display. Doesn't mean he played a 10.
Most players that are used to progress our play up the pitch (either by dribbling or passing) would expect the next touch to be from a Spurs player most of the time.

And it's not superior football knowledge that I claim, merely superior understanding.

The two posts above by Fernandez and Scara epitomize this whole thread, both taking polar opposite views when the reality, as always, is somewhere in the middle.

I personally cannot understand how anyone can call Sissoko a good player, but, last night he had a good game, don't think he was MOTM but generally he did well.

Last night he wasn't the messiah but neither was he a very naughty boy.

Which is my point. I don't think he's particularly good, but he played well, so credit is due. How is that taking a polar opposite view, you've said the same thing I did.

Think he’s really found his role in the squad now. Would I want him to play at home v Huddersfield or Burnley? Absolutely not, but for tough games like last night he has a lot of attributes that help the team. Fergie used Park in a similar way for a few years.

I knew this was going to kick off again today.

You know where this comes from? Him being absolute fudging brick for a long time, people justifiably saying "He has been absolute fudging brick" and other people feeling the need to go OTT in defence of him. They never had a defence. And its those same people now trying to give it "I told you so" that drags it back up.

There is no "I told you so". He was fudging awful. He is much less awful at the moment. And most people, conveniently tagged "Sissoko haters", recognise that. Because they were being objective then, and are being objective now.

The I told you so phalanx are the ones who never had any objectivity on the subject, which makes the smugness now rather peculiar.

You know where this comes from? Him being absolute fudging brick for a long time, people justifiably saying "He has been absolute fudging brick" and other people feeling the need to go OTT in defence of him. They never had a defence. And its those same people now trying to give it "I told you so" that drags it back up.

There is no "I told you so". He was fudging awful. He is much less awful at the moment. And most people, conveniently tagged "Sissoko haters", recognise that. Because they were being objective then, and are being objective now.

The I told you so rude boys are the ones who never had any objectivity on the subject, which makes the smugness now rather peculiar.

He has been total gash in a lot of games, no doubt about it. Lately though, he has put in some good performances. Not just "good for Sissoko" but actual good performances. So I'll give him credit where it's due. And if he keeps it up, he can be a good squad player for us. We'll certainly need him until we sign some new midfield options.

Cant argue with that. And Id suggest midfield options is the absolute and outright priority. Dier and Winks are the only ones we have Im happy with.

The form of our full-backs is worrying me a bit too. It was the strongest area of the squad, but they all seem to have gone off the boil at the same time. When the chequebook comes out, we might see a new full-back.

The form of our full-backs is worrying me a bit too. It was the strongest area of the squad, but they all seem to have gone off the boil at the same time. When the chequebook comes out, we might see a new full-back.

They are a concern, but CM is the real priority. Get that right and this team steps up a level IMHO.

Compare/contrast to our rivals - its the weakest by a distance bar maybe Arsenal (depends if you consider them a rival!)

I think we should do a tactic a bit like with the baton in a relay race where Sissoko carries the ball (which he does well) and then another player swoops in to take it off him before he has to pass. Team mates should even be given free licence to tackle him.

That's meant to be the theory behind teaming him with the right back, isn't it?

They are a concern, but CM is the real priority. Get that right and this team steps up a level IMHO.

Compare/contrast to our rivals - its the weakest by a distance bar maybe Arsenal (depends if you consider them a rival!)

Winks and Dier just outplayed the Spanish midfield for England

Are the really that weak?

What we haven’t seen is them play enough games together

Sissoko for me was out MOM yesterday, broke up and disrupted their play and was strong and quick with the ball at his feet.

Yeh his distribution was off but the work he put in was very good last night

The I told you so rude boys are the ones who never had any objectivity on the subject, which makes the smugness now rather peculiar.

Ehhhh come on man. No one who was defending him previously ever said he was more than a 7/10 on any given game, and the people going OTT were the ones making him out to be a laughing stock, a joke figure, ‘not a footballer’ etc.

He was awful in his first few games for us in his first season. No question. No pre-season, but even with that excuse he was still terrible. Then he got a 3 game suspension for throwing an elbow, then the team picked up form and he barely ever got back into the side, but when he did play he was fine. (Perfectly fine performances against the likes of Hull and Burnley at home around Christmas time and away at Leicester towards the end of the season).

Last season, people were STILL saying he was awful when he clearly wasn’t, and that’s when the big debates started happening. Off the top of my head he had fine-to-good games away at places like Everton, Burnley and West Ham, and played the majority of both games against Real Madrid. After these games a lot of people were making him out to be the clown, even though he clearly wasn’t. Maybe in terms of the effort expended people defending him were going OTT, but not in terms of the content, because I don’t think anyone was ever saying he was more than a 7/10 at best that offers some balance and value defensively.

This season, people just seem to be catching up, and as has been noted you can go back through this thread and different people after each game are saying he was decent in a lot of games, even though the prevailing feeling was that he was still a joke. But the true joke, spazzed it out of play type days were 2 years ago.

Not at all. You have literally redefined "fine" and "7/10" just to make allowances for him.

And no, I really dont want to do this whole dance again. Point being, simply, its pretty poor taste to try and take a couple of decent performances as justification for two seasons of over reactive defence of him.

As I said - those who have complained, and now are saying "He did well" (or whatever) have always maintained an objectivity lacking elsewhere.

Winks and Dier just outplayed the Spanish midfield for England

Are the really that weak?

What we haven’t seen is them play enough games together
Define outplayed the Spanish midfield? What won us that game was the interplay and clinical finshing between our three forwards, and not to say Dier and Winks didn't do any good work during the game. But Spain controlled most of the possession and we had 5 shots all game vs Spains 24 so we didn't create much and was very much backs to the wall for England for long periods. At no time was we controlling the midfield vs Spain, and nor would I expect us to.....

Back