• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Moussa Sissoko

Why the big mystery as to why Poch plays him? This has been a football conundrum down the ages...I'm 56 by the way. Poch probably picks him to prove a point. Managers can be stubborn bastards at times. Ask Park Lane, he will be able to point out plenty of other controversial selections at Spurs and other clubs down the years. He's the same vintage as me. Pratt springs to mind, back in the 70's.
Yeah just like Deschamps the France manager who constantly picks him and calls him 'a warrior'. He's only doing it because he's stubborn too.....

Yeah just like Deschamps the France manager who constantly picks him and calls him 'a warrior'. He's only doing it because he's stubborn too.....

Has been playing regularly since the last Euros? Well the French have never really had a great understanding of what it really takes to be a warrior... Crecy, Poitiers, Agincourt, Blenheim, Waterloo etc, etc.

In all of this though nobody has given a reply why Pochettino continues to pick him,
Poch said:
“The player was the first [to be] interested to move or to leave because he wanted to play more in a season that has the World Cup at the end. But I think maybe that possibility didn’t exist"
Nobody wanted him in the summer, plus lots of injuries = necessity.

Ior why he always tended to be picked for Saudi Sportswashing Machine
Saudi Sportswashing Machine are brick.

Ior why he has a number of caps for France with all the talent that they have available to them.
He's played 90 minutes for France 17 times in his entire life - he's 28.

He's had 25 starts in a 10 year career.

Emile Heskey had 40 for England.

Last edited:
Nobody wanted him in the summer, plus lots of injuries = necessity.

Saudi Sportswashing Machine are brick.

He's played 90 minutes for France 5 times in his entire life - he's 28. If you include matches where he's played over 45' that goes up to 12 appearances of note. In a 10 year career.

Emile Heskey had 33 for England.
Swap Sissoko for Heskey. Problem solved!

Has been playing regularly since the last Euros? Well the French have never really had a great understanding of what it really takes to be a warrior... Crecy, Poitiers, Agincourt, Blenheim, Waterloo etc, etc.
In their last 7 matches he's played 12 minutes in one match, been an unused sub in 4 and wasn't in the squad for the other 2.

Last time he had a run of matches was early in the 16/17 season. That suggests Deschamps has been watching his Spurs performances.

Last edited:
In all of this though nobody has given a reply why Pochettino continues to pick him, or why he always tended to be picked for Saudi Sportswashing Machine or why he has a number of caps for France with all the talent that they have available to them. Do you not concede that he must have something about him and he may just perhaps be a little better than you think when considering that?

As has been mentioned a number of times - for us - injuries. Simple as that.

If Winks, Wanyama and Dembele were fully fit all season I doubt we would have seen him more than a handful of times.

Saudi Sportswashing Machine were brick and played an entirely different style to us, perhaps he was better suited to what they need?

France? Well it sounds like he doesnt actually play that much, and either way Id say similar as Saudi Sportswashing Machine - he suits them more than us.

He simply doesnt fit with us. Save for a fairly narrow role in a defensive set up, and even that he isnt reliably consistent at. I think it is obvious that as a footballer, he is the weakest link in the squad. His level of quality is simply no where near the rest of the team, and it shows.

In their last 7 matches he's played 12 minutes in one match, been an unused sub in 4 and wasn't in the squad for the other 2.

Last time he had a run of matches was early in the 16/17 season. That suggests Deschamps has been watching his Spurs performances.
I get the sense that you have a dedicated room in your Caribbean sub-terranean hide-away dedicated to Sissoko. With Sissoko pictures, Sissoko stats, Sissoko blue prints, Sissoko posters, Sissoko commemorative stamps, Sissoko pillow cases, Sissoko tapestries and a tattoo artist ready for the Sissoko tattoo for your back.

I get the sense that you have a dedicated room in your Caribbean sub-terranean hide-away dedicated to Sissoko. With Sissoko pictures, Sissoko stats, Sissoko blue prints, Sissoko posters, Sissoko commemorative stamps, Sissoko pillow cases, Sissoko tapestries and a tattoo artist ready for the Sissoko tattoo for your back.
And a Sissoko fleshlight.

Why the big mystery as to why Poch plays him? This has been a football conundrum down the ages...I'm 56 by the way. Poch probably picks him to prove a point. Managers can be stubborn bastards at times. Ask Park Lane, he will be able to point out plenty of other controversial selections at Spurs and other clubs down the years. He's the same vintage as me. Pratt springs to mind, back in the 70's.

You're right, there is often regular disconnect and controversial decisions between what a football manager does and what a group of fans does. I just think it's funny how the fan group will often default to 'well he must be stubborn' as if that's the logical conclusion to someone with way more information and way more qualified doing something that they don't understand.

I think as always, no one is saying that Sissoko is a first choice or that he's been any better than 7/10 in the games he's played this season. But the oversized, outsized criticism of him in relation to others is just tiresome. He will often cop more for a better performance than other players - it is just such a blatant fact across a whole bunch of Spurs media that I don't know how anyone denies it. Other than to say 'well, X player has had good games before, where as Sissoko hasn't, so he deserves it' which then brings us back to the idea that he must be doing something to get regularly picked and must not be quite as terrible as everyone makes out.

Sissoko's par is perhaps 5/10. His best performance is 7/10.

Suits squads like Swansea or West ham which battle to stay up. Perhaps not Swansea as they have(had?) possession style football.

For Spurs he is way too static. Pass, walk, jog, occasionally overlap. Once upon a time he sprinted on counter attacks, but there were this hag who put a curse on him, to never again be able to control a ball and sidefoot it around the keeper into the net, so he hit the keeper twice. Now he doesn't even sprint anymore.

0-2 goal at Swansea.
http://hoofoot.com/?match=Swansea_City_0_-_2_Tottenham_2018_01_02

Sissoko on as a sub with fresh legs. bothered to sprint? no. Turned out to be a blessing in disguise as Alli did great in the open space.

Sissoko's energy and drive are supposed to be his strengths... He needs to show it more often.

I think as always, no one is saying that Sissoko is a first choice or that he's been any better than 7/10 in the games he's played this season. But the oversized, outsized criticism of him in relation to others is just tiresome. He will often cop more for a better performance than other players - it is just such a blatant fact across a whole bunch of Spurs media that I don't know how anyone denies it. Other than to say 'well, X player has had good games before, where as Sissoko hasn't, so he deserves it' which then brings us back to the idea that he must be doing something to get regularly picked and must not be quite as terrible as everyone makes out.
You asked previously for reasons why he is constantly picked and to have a sensible discussion round it. Nayim and Scara have suggested injuries and player availability.

Strip that down and see if there is anything in it.?

You asked previously for reasons why he is constantly picked and to have a sensible discussion round it. Nayim and Scara have suggested injuries and player availability.

Strip that down and see if there is anything in it.?

I agree - it probably does explain it? But if he was so unbelievably terrible, a par 5/10 as NIfel says above, why is he even at the club? Why is he playing PL football? Why do France ever let him near any squad? Why would we risk playing such an outrageously terrible player in first team games when we need to gather points, if we really was as bad as many make out. The answer is, he isn't that bad. I'm not saying that getting the odd call up for France or the odd PL game proves he's great. What I am saying is that if he was truly as bad as some would believe, he'd be playing in League 2. Or certainly, if he really was the cause of our bad performances, Poch would recall Onamah and slam Sissoko into the reserves. He's done it with another other players, e.g. Janssen, e.g. Stambouli, when the level is clearly too high for them.

I've always been more concerned with outsized criticism when others have been worse. The desire to jump on him at every given opportunity is just unsavory. In any match thread, one of our own players is treated as a joke. A minor mistake gets held up massively. Anything good is brushed over or laughed off. It happens consistently because we are in this realm of groupthink and this is now Sissoko's role, to take it.

There's some good moments on here, the best of which is at 2:56. But don't any of you Sissoko critics tell us you don't enjoy what this proud warrior does from 0:31-0:37.

Reprising a very famous moment in Spurs history:

DKaun8AWsAAYP6m.jpg

Dave_mackay_3217606b.jpg

Last edited:
I agree - it probably does explain it? But if he was so unbelievably terrible, a par 5/10 as NIfel says above, why is he even at the club? Why is he playing PL football? Why do France ever let him near any squad? Why would we risk playing such an outrageously terrible player in first team games when we need to gather points, if we really was as bad as many make out. The answer is, he isn't that bad. I'm not saying that getting the odd call up for France or the odd PL game proves he's great. What I am saying is that if he was truly as bad as some would believe, he'd be playing in League 2. Or certainly, if he really was the cause of our bad performances, Poch would recall Onamah and slam Sissoko into the reserves. He's done it with another other players, e.g. Janssen, e.g. Stambouli, when the level is clearly too high for them.

I've always been more concerned with outsized criticism when others have been worse. The desire to jump on him at every given opportunity is just unsavory. In any match thread, one of our own players is treated as a joke. A minor mistake gets held up massively. Anything good is brushed over or laughed off. It happens consistently because we are in this realm of groupthink and this is now Sissoko's role, to take it.

I genuinely do not know why we even bought him. Given the hour, and our supposed interest in other targets, it really just looks like a panic buy to me.

I certainly think the player we got is not the player we thought we bought. It smacks of poor homework on our part. And, lets be honest, not every transfer we make is a gem *cough*stambouli/njie/fazio...*cough*

You keep talking about France, but I just dont really see the connection. While I respect Deschamps is a good coach, International football is sub standard, and Frances needs and wants are nothing like ours. Maybe he is ideal for what they need? Maybe perfect? I dont see how it discredits criticism of his use/performance for Spurs.

Lets be straight - "He is terrible" is obviously meant as "He is terrible relative to the players around him". We all know if he came to the GG 5 a side game he would absolutely destroy us single handed. Ive seen tales of rather industrial defenders at this level playing with Plebs and looking like Ronaldinho. When we talk about players quality it is of course relative, and really shouldnt need spelling out every time.

Why is he still at the club? Honestly, I think, because we havent been able to offload him. We paid a lot of money, and Levy doesnt take a loss well, so he is probably quite difficult to move on. Particularly as he hasnt exactly shone in such a way other teams will covet him. The whole move has been a dud, and the club are as much to blame as the player. If not more, they should have known better.

He is, at best, utility for us. He isnt a performer, hes a "can do a job" (and that he does rather inconsistently). As Ive said, were our other midfielders actually fit this season I honestly think Sissoko would have been seen maybe a handful of times. Thats not agenda and bias, thats just the reality as I see it. With Wanyama available every week, for what reason would Sissoko have been chosen ahead of him?

Why is he playing? (in place of academy players) Well, to his credit, he clearly is trying. He works really hard. I dont doubt he is doing his absolute best in training. I would imagine Poch sees him as a mature player, dedicated and experienced, and values that above the like of Onomah who has shown no ability to do it on the field for us. Sissoko will at least go out and play, and it seems try to follow instruction.

Where I dont agree with you is in your conclusion. Its not a group think, ganging up on him, making him a scape goat. Its frustration, being vented. He has NEVER been better than just average, and he has often been much poorer. His faults are consistently displayed. To see it again and again is just frustrating beyond belief.

While he is doing his best - I dont think anyone has questioned his effort etc - he simply isnt at the level of his peers. By a distance. And it shows. And my GHod is that annoying. Especially when you know how things could be with Wanyama (for example) in his stead.

And much of the criticism just isnt outsized. Repetitive? yes. Flamboyant? yes. Wrong? Actually no.

I dont think anyone desires to jump on him. They do because the same issues are there again and again.

And I think the like of yourself arent helping either. Take the match thread, Scara made a point of posting where he was doing something badly. Why? Because, before the game, someone was in there calling out "Poch picked him so what do you make of that?!" in a pre-emptive "I told you so". So Scara responded, illustrating his issues with Sissoko through the match. THEN he gets accused of running a campaign of outsized criticism...

Trying to convince me he isnt that bad by dismissing all the things he cant do as "you shoudnt expect that from him" just isnt really an argument. Especially when even our defenders our better equipped in most instances. That, IMO, is outsized defence of him.

If he had a great game in him then I would be frustrated at his inconsistency. As with the like of Alli this season. The reason they get slack is because in general they are more often good to great than poor, they do get criticised though. If Sissoko was in this mould he would get the same breaks. Instead he is poor to average every game. This is why the criticism doesnt compare, because the performances dont.

As Ive said, its tinternet 101, these things start to be informed by prejudice based on an assumed point of view, and before you know it youre arguing against what you think someone means without even reading the post.

Now I dont deny it sucks that Sissoko is taking so much flack. Its not good, and Im not really in favour of such negativity. The problem is, I also cant deny he really has been poor and is a problem in the side when he plays. Despite the good he can do, his net contribution is negative IMO.

Back