• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Moussa Sissoko

A couple of years ago against Saudi Sportswashing Machine, last game of the season, Spurs pushed forwards, Sissoko picked up the ball and sprinted down the left wing, surged forwards, got into the box and collapsed under a challenge. Levy thought "oh yes, I like his drive, reminds me of Bale, sign him up". He was wrong.

I was watching Cheatski play Arse last night - Moses took a shot with his wrong foot and scuffed it slowly wide... it was awful, no balance, no technique, and it made me wonder if Sissoko actually has a stronger foot, or if both feet are his weaker foot?

Isn't the Levy being impressed thing Poch taking the tinkle?

There's some good moments on here, the best of which is at 2:56. But don't any of you Sissoko critics tell us you don't enjoy what this proud warrior does from 0:31-0:37.

Reprising a very famous moment in Spurs history:

DKaun8AWsAAYP6m.jpg

The highlight of Sissoko's spurs career. He's taller than Mark Noble.

Break down of the compilation.

0:15 Sissoko and Aurier have a great combination. Cuts away from Sissoko's unpressed cross. Defenders win.
0:23 Sissoko is able to pass the ball to Kane in own half. Defenders win.
0:35 Sissoko is taller than Noble. Noble loses.
0:40 Sissoko makes a great run, floors the defender and passes the ball to the keeper instead of burying it. Defenders win.
0:55 Sissoko shields the ball, but ends up turning back. Defenders win.
1:00 Sissoko receives cross from Davies, passes the ball to the keeper, but defender arrives and scores OG. Defender loses.
1:15 Sissoko clumsily flicks/half volleys the ball towards Kane and defender puts it to throw in near halfway line. Defenders win.
1:24 Sissoko slowly controls the ball, before turning around passing it to the right back. Defenders win.
1:30 Sissoko receives the ball near the box, can cross, but plays a poor pass that recycles back to our defenders. Defenders win.
1:35 Sissoko drives forward from own half, tries to cross but hits defender square on, lumps the second ball up and Alli has a chance. Alli got a chance, despite S' clumsiness.
1:48 Sissoko has the ball in a 4 against 2 break, struggles to control it and plays an early ball too hard towards N'koudou who is injured in collision with keeper. N'Koudou loses.
2:00 Sissoko crosses the ball backwards, behind Kane who has much to do, and Kane being Kane scores. Kane wins.
2:09 Sissoko has a shot from the corner of the box running on clear shot. Easy pickings for keeper who spills it. Defenders win.
2:12 Sissoko loses control and gives the ball away. Defenders win.
2:16 Sissoko fouls the player instead of winning the ball. Opposition still has the ball.
2:26 Sissoko has a nice touch on own half, runs forward on the break. Eriksen wants the ball, but unpressed cross goes way off (throw in?). Defenders win.
2:30 Sissoko flicks the pass from Winks(?) through to Aurier who puts a perfect cross in and Kane forces OG. Good build up.
2:53 Sissoko picks up loose ball near own box, runs forward but hits opposition with his pass towards Kane. Defenders win.
3:00 Sissoko flicks the ball over defender and rushes forward. Camera cuts after he passes the halfway line. We know what happened next. Sissoko probably miscontrolled it. Nobody knows, but definitely not Sissoko who won.
3:04 Sissoko has a poor touch and then combines with Rose afterwhich Sissoko is fouled at halfway line. Keeps possesion at halfway line.
3:15 Sissoko receives a perfectly weighted pass from Son and shoots in his stride. Scores. Only a player like Sissoko could've missed that chance. Sissoko scored! WOOOOOHO!

The video sums up why he isn't good enough. He does some okay stuff near halfway line. No end product.

I refuse to that Sissoko should play because he is taller than Noble.

TL:DR
0:45 sums up Sissoko at his best. Everything else pretty rubbish

Last edited:
Do you not think then, that maybe there is something to it?

Or is absolutely everybody wrong?

I tend to stop and think when everyone tells me Im wrong about something. And my wife will tell you, Im always right ;O)

Maybe, but fans and professionals will often have a different discussion around particular players. I'd be very interested in an insightful discussion with Poch and his team to ask the question 'Sissoko, what does he do?' and if Poch was to say 'he spazzes it out of play, he doesn't know what he's doing, and he offers no value so I've had to walk this fine line of playing him so we can get our money back while still hopefully winning games' then I'd think...crikey, Sissoko is rubbish, and everyone is right.

But it probably won't be everybody. You've got people like Finney in this thread arguing not much more than me. Fans and professionals will often disagree, and if I had the opportunity to prove they agreed or disagreed on this subject, I would love it. But I don't, so I am working on my - admittedly unprovable - idea that Poch thinks Sissoko does a good solider type job. I can admit that I may be totally, dreadfully wrong on that, but that is what I think he does.

I have a simple problem with him.... technically he is really poor

He can run, he can do a defensive job, he can chase people and hold his position which is why he works alright against teams like Madrid who attack us

But give the guy a Football to pass and you may as well give him the kettle bell for all the difference

His basic skills are really really poor and more so for a player who regualrly gets into a top club side and international side.... his technical side reminds me of my 16 year old nephews team it’s that bad

Or to put it another way, I think fans gravitate towards positions and players where they can easily relate to their contributions. We have all either been a target man or a poacher when we've played Sunday League. We've got our hard bastards in central midfield and we've got our goalscoring number 8, and we've got the quick guys that we put on the wing. We've got the tall people that can't play at the back and we've got the small people that can't play at full back. These 'coaches players', 'soldier' types are ALWAYS the most under-appreciated by fans and there is always a debate around their usefulness, and yet professional managers still pick them constantly. You don't really have this kind of role in a team a fan would relate to because the tactical level isn't as high. I still remember the 'Carrick, what does he do?' thread on here when he first got into our side after Santini benched him, and it wasn't really until Jol's first full season that the opinion swang to actually really appreciate him. And he's not a perfect comparison, but at the time people expected their holding midfielders to be hard-tackling Makelele types, and plenty of people in that thread and other Spurs fans everywhere didn't see what Carrick was doing. But then Spanish football's influence seeped into our game and more people got it. But for a time, not many people related to Carrick.

Sissoko is a good attacking player for a side that plays on the counter but he isn't a good attacking player for us, so we've had to get him into a role that focuses on what he can do and masks his weaknesses. In thinking back to the Jol days it got me thinking of another - Teemu Tainio. Not a hard tackling holder. Not a goalscorer. Not a massive assister. A decent passer but not really a long range passer. He was just fundamentally a team player that enabled others to shine. Different physical attributes to Sissoko but they are playing something of a similar role.

Your thesis breaks down because there was one fundamental point of difference. Tainio could trap a ball and make a decent pass, Sissoko cannot.

Well, if nothing else, the question many wanted answered - "why Sissoko?" - has now been answered :

"We have to give credit to Moussa. He is giving the team such balance that no one player can give," he said.
"He gives a balance in transitions between defence and attack - offensive to defensive, defensive to offensive . He is right now the only player that can give that. That is the biggest quality. The team needs that balance nowadays.
"For me he is one of the most important players of the season. At times the first impressions sticks and conditions what happens later."
"We create myths. Me too. I am like you! Sometimes we all create myths but most of the times we are not clinical or honest in the way we assess things," said Pochettino.
"Sometimes you think a way about someone because of first impressions and then they stick forever. I like that you give credit to him because he is doing very well."

Or to put it another way, I think fans gravitate towards positions and players where they can easily relate to their contributions. We have all either been a target man or a poacher when we've played Sunday League. We've got our hard bastards in central midfield and we've got our goalscoring number 8, and we've got the quick guys that we put on the wing. We've got the tall people that can't play at the back and we've got the small people that can't play at full back. These 'coaches players', 'soldier' types are ALWAYS the most under-appreciated by fans and there is always a debate around their usefulness, and yet professional managers still pick them constantly. You don't really have this kind of role in a team a fan would relate to because the tactical level isn't as high. I still remember the 'Carrick, what does he do?' thread on here when he first got into our side after Santini benched him, and it wasn't really until Jol's first full season that the opinion swang to actually really appreciate him. And he's not a perfect comparison, but at the time people expected their holding midfielders to be hard-tackling Makelele types, and plenty of people in that thread and other Spurs fans everywhere didn't see what Carrick was doing. But then Spanish football's influence seeped into our game and more people got it. But for a time, not many people related to Carrick.

Sissoko is a good attacking player for a side that plays on the counter but he isn't a good attacking player for us, so we've had to get him into a role that focuses on what he can do and masks his weaknesses. In thinking back to the Jol days it got me thinking of another - Teemu Tainio. Not a hard tackling holder. Not a goalscorer. Not a massive assister. A decent passer but not really a long range passer. He was just fundamentally a team player that enabled others to shine. Different physical attributes to Sissoko but they are playing something of a similar role.
Can’t believe you’ve put Sissoko in the same sentence as Tainio, Mousa wishes!

Well, if nothing else, the question many wanted answered - "why Sissoko?" - has now been answered :

"We have to give credit to Moussa. He is giving the team such balance that no one player can give," he said.
"He gives a balance in transitions between defence and attack - offensive to defensive, defensive to offensive . He is right now the only player that can give that. That is the biggest quality. The team needs that balance nowadays.
"For me he is one of the most important players of the season. At times the first impressions sticks and conditions what happens later."
"We create myths. Me too. I am like you! Sometimes we all create myths but most of the times we are not clinical or honest in the way we assess things," said Pochettino.
"Sometimes you think a way about someone because of first impressions and then they stick forever. I like that you give credit to him because he is doing very well."

Pretty much what Ive been saying then, necessity due to injuries.

I mean, he is on crack.... right? surely....

Does he mean our defence to the oppositions attack?

The beginning of the end for poch? It always starts with lunacy like this.

Well it answers the question to those wondering what Poch sees in him.Whilst the injury situation is a valid reason why he has so much game time, I honestly believe Poch rates him higher and values the job he does for the team more than most do on here....

Well it answers the question to those wondering what Poch sees in him.Whilst the injury situation is a valid reason why he has so much game time, I honestly believe Poch rates him higher and values the job he does for the team more than most do on here....

I think by the end of the season we will know.

If when everyone is fit Sissoko is picked above them, then fair enough.

If, when everyone is fit, we hardly see him - then you will know.

My bet, assuming we ever get people properly fit (a big assumption looking at the season so far) is the latter, with Sissoko moving on this summer.

Back