• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Moussa Sissoko

Comments such as him always being the worst out of the combined 22 on the pitch, or him constantly ‘spazing it out of play’, or him always giving it to the opposition, or not being able to play a 5 yard pass. Those things are simply untrue. He wouldn't have had a decent career in professional football if that were the case.
This was the entirety of his contribution for the first 40 mins against Southampton:
Screenshot_20180123-184758.jpg

He really isn't the worst player of all 22 in terms of ability, that is a huge stretch. He may be the worst in our team in terms of ability, or more pertinently technique (although I'm not even completely sure of that) but he would be a guaranteed starter for every team outside of the top 6. The problem I have here is that even though he may have the worst technique of the entire first team, IMO there has only been one game where he has been the worst performer for us (Leicester away) yet he is the one who tends to be called out no matter what. I thought there were at least 4 players who Sissoko performed better than at the weekend, yet some still feel that Sissoko being in the team was the biggest reason for us failing to win.

An example of what I think is clearly unconscious bias is the different reactions to Sanchez's own goal and Sissoko's miss.... Sanchez is considered 'unlucky' for his part in the own goal, whereas Sissoko's miss was considered to be abject faiure by some. If you look at it objectively Sanchez had far more time to react to the ball across goal than Sissoko did from Davies' mishit shot. Surely if Sanchez was unlucky then Sissoko was also unlucky? Or conversely both of them failed abysmally and were equally culpable in us dropping two points?

I have defended Sissoko against unfair criticism but that own goal was largely on him. He failed to do his job and cover Aurier. He further failed to try and cut the angle/make any sort of run.

Sitting on my porcelain throne using glory-glory.co.uk mobile app

See I see things completely differently to you. I would say that most of those defending Sissoko make pretty reasonable, balanced points. I don’t think I have seen a single person say that they think he is one of our better players, I haven’t seen anyone say that he would be a first choice 11 player if everyone was fit, I don’t think I have even seen anyone claim that they wouldn’t be happy to upgrade him in the squad. I think that most of the defence of Sissoko is simply centred around him constantly being targeted as the worst performer in games when he clearly isn’t.

Conversely I would say that some of the attacks are ridiculous. Comments such as him always being the worst out of the combined 22 on the pitch, or him constantly ‘spazing it out of play’, or him always giving it to the opposition, or not being able to play a 5 yard pass. Those things are simply untrue. He wouldn't have had a decent career in professional football if that were the case.

I see that you childishly label one of the ‘ridiculous defences’ as: ‘Poch picks him, so ner ner’. I am genuinely interested as to why you think that Poch might do so? and not just Pochettino but also the Saudi Sportswashing Machine managers before him and even Didier Deschamps who had a large number of talented players to choose from? Do you think that they all do so as they are clueless, or do you concede that just maybe the player may have some qualities that you just do not notice? Perhaps because you don’t have as deep an understanding of the technical aspects of football as people such as Pochettino, etc?

How many clubs went in seriously for him when we signed him?

How many clubs went in seriously for him when we signed him?
I don't know how many showed an interest. Of course we all know that both Spurs and Everton had offers accepted. I would imagine that the other 5 top 6 clubs didn't think he was good enough or good enough value. And then (sans Everton) the non top 6 clubs would be put off due to the prohibitive combination of the high transfer fee and wage. Now of course we know that we overpaid (I think just about all of us on here agreed that when he signed). He isn't good enough to be a starting player for a title winning team IMO, but he is a reasonable squad player for us and would be a decent starting player for many of the other teams in the premiership.

I hold him every bit as responsible as Aurier for their goal Sunday, in fact it was the most frustrating piece of play I have seen from him. Hopelessly negligent.
I thought Sissoko's lack of closing down that Wet Spammer a couple of weeks ago for a 30 yard thunderbolt was worse. Mind you against West Brom when Rondon scored, Alli was like wet cardboard and Sanchez was wet paper and was it Wanyama who passed to Leicester for their goal many months ago at WHL? Sheesh we shoot ourselves in the foot sometimes, also Lloris and his odd positioning, sendings off like Sissoko against Bournemouth and Sanchez's elbow to the upper thorax v Watford.

Last edited:
I thought Sissoko's lack of closing down that Wet Spammer a couple of weeks ago for a 30 yard thunderbolt was worse.
I don't think either are terrible offenses in their own right, but when we have a player who offers nothing creatively and the best defence of them is "something, something defensive capabilities, runs a lot" then it becomes more of an issue.

Of Sunday's game or overall?

Do you think Watford would still have got a point against us had we kept 11 on the pitch? Do you think West Brom would've got a draw against us had Rondon not nabbed the opener by bullying Sanchez off the ball when Sanchez was clear favourite?

Sanchez was harshly done by, he should NOT have been sent off. Cards are a fact of life for defenders, as they have to put a lot of tackles in, so I don't see how you're comment is at all relevant. Whilst on the subject of cards, didn't Sissoko get a straight red in his first game for belting an opponent in the mouth?

Duuuuuuuuude, clearly you are incapable of understanding any nuance in what I've written, because if you were you wouldn't write that nonsense. I don't know how much more I can try to start the post off in a balanced way, while still respectfully putting across my own opinion. Only to get that douchey response from you. Cheers, real big. What, exactly is your point? That you are right about Sissoko? That he's not a good footballer? That you disagree with our manager? All fine opinions to have. All my opinion is, is that treating a Spurs player that is working hard like a joke, is not the way to be a fan. And to jump on one player more than any other when the team performs badly and that player wasn't the worst, is just unfair. I mean, talk about waiting for any below average performance to justify an 'I told you so' in a rapid criticism of him!!

For the seven billionth time, it's about outsized criticism compared to others, and building a cult around overly criticizing one player more than any other, treating them like a joke when we are fans. For instance, in the post above, the idea that he 'struggles to make a 5 yard pass' IS complete hyperbole. It's nonsense, it's rubbish and it isn't true.

Hey the cult line was mine to describe you Sissoko lovers, get your own label. o_O

It is actually awkward to read one person articulately debate with stats and balanced, rational viewpoints...and watch the other side try to stretch so far to justify the criticism.

The key point has always been, he isn't doing any worse than other players on the team but is taking an unfair share (and an unfair load) of the criticism. He isn't a technical player but he does add value, people just don't want to see it.

" He's not a technical player"-a euphemism for cannot play.

So what I watched on Sunday was actually a good performance by Sissoko then?

No he was brick, but why aren't you on Dele's back, why aren't you having a go at Sanchez. Sigh! Very selective reading, as all our really poor players were heavily criticized, they just chose to ignore it and we nasties are giving widdle baby Sissoko too much of a hard time.

I thought Sissoko's lack of closing down that Wet Spammer a couple of weeks ago for a 30 yard thunderbolt was worse. Mind you against West Brom when Rondon scored, Alli was like wet cardboard and Sanchez was wet paper and was it Wanyama who passed to Leicester for their goal many months ago at WHL? Sheesh we shoot ourselves in the foot sometimes, also Lloris and his odd positioning, sendings off like Sissoko against Bournemouth and Sanchez's elbow to the upper thorax v Watford.

You might well have a point there.

I don't know how many showed an interest. Of course we all know that both Spurs and Everton had offers accepted. I would imagine that the other 5 top 6 clubs didn't think he was good enough or good enough value. And then (sans Everton) the non top 6 clubs would be put off due to the prohibitive combination of the high transfer fee and wage. Now of course we know that we overpaid (I think just about all of us on here agreed that when he signed). He isn't good enough to be a starting player for a title winning team IMO, but he is a reasonable squad player for us and would be a decent starting player for many of the other teams in the premiership.

So out of all the top clubs in world football us and Everton bid, that sums up the sort of player he is.

Clubs like Palace have spunked money on brick so if they really wanted him they would have signed him.

So out of all the top clubs in world football us and Everton bid, that sums up the sort of player he is.

Clubs like Palace have spunked money on brick so if they really wanted him they would have signed him.
It's not quite as simple as that (as I'm sure you're already fully aware). Palace may or may not have contacted his agent that Summer. If they had done so they would've been told that Spurs were interested and that we were the player's first choice. i would imagine that Everton was the players second choice and it was only when it got to deadline day and no deal had been done between us and Saudi Sportswashing Machine that the player opted for his second choice (which then forced our hand) I accept that none of the other members of the big 6 were interested however as I'm sure he would've spoken to any of those, of course that is because he isn't good enough for those clubs, just as he isn't really good enough for us as anything other than a squad player.

I have never claimed that Sissoko is brilliant, I would love to upgrade him in the squad. I wish that we had saved our money and put it to better use as we can't afford to be spending £30 million on 28 (or whatever he was) year old squad players. I just find the constant criticism tiresome - especially in games where he has been OK and also as in pretty much every game there have been a few worse performers in our team.

Fingers crossed Winks will be back soon and Eriksen will recover from ilness. Sissoko can then take a place on the bench which is probably about where he should be at our club.

In all of this though nobody has given a reply why Pochettino continues to pick him, or why he always tended to be picked for Saudi Sportswashing Machine or why he has a number of caps for France with all the talent that they have available to them. Do you not concede that he must have something about him and he may just perhaps be a little better than you think when considering that?

It's not quite as simple as that (as I'm sure you're already fully aware). Palace may or may not have contacted his agent that Summer. If they had done so they would've been told that Spurs were interested and that we were the player's first choice. i would imagine that Everton was the players second choice and it was only when it got to deadline day and no deal had been done between us and Saudi Sportswashing Machine that the player opted for his second choice (which then forced our hand) I accept that none of the other members of the big 6 were interested however as I'm sure he would've spoken to any of those, of course that is because he isn't good enough for those clubs, just as he isn't really good enough for us as anything other than a squad player.

I have never claimed that Sissoko is brilliant, I would love to upgrade him in the squad. I wish that we had saved our money and put it to better use as we can't afford to be spending £30 million on 28 (or whatever he was) year old squad players. I just find the constant criticism tiresome - especially in games where he has been OK and also as in pretty much every game there have been a few worse performers in our team.

Fingers crossed Winks will be back soon and Eriksen will recover from ilness. Sissoko can then take a place on the bench which is probably about where he should be at our club.

In all of this though nobody has given a reply why Pochettino continues to pick him, or why he always tended to be picked for Saudi Sportswashing Machine or why he has a number of caps for France with all the talent that they have available to them. Do you not concede that he must have something about him and he may just perhaps be a little better than you think when considering that?

Why the big mystery as to why Poch plays him? This has been a football conundrum down the ages...I'm 56 by the way. Poch probably picks him to prove a point. Managers can be stubborn bastards at times. Ask Park Lane, he will be able to point out plenty of other controversial selections at Spurs and other clubs down the years. He's the same vintage as me. Pratt springs to mind, back in the 70's.

Bolded bits are the points I consistently make, well said....

Back