• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Mousa Dembele

Would agree with this, my opinion of Dembele was that he had a lot of talent but more often then not he failed to delivier, he now seems to be able to channel that talent into a consistent run of games and with a end product. Fot all our sakes I hope he keeps it up because on this form he is a shoe in for the team.

8-10 years is too long to be misunderstood/failing to realise potential.

Poch has done something exceptional if he's created a player from a perennial underachiever

8-10 years is too long to be misunderstood/failing to realise potential.

Poch has done something exceptional if he's created a player from a perennial underachiever

Again I disagree. For a start he has only been in England for 5 years. Do you know of his career before he came to England? I assume not.... He started at Willem II and scored 9 goals in only 33 games as an 18 year old in that team. He then joined LVG's AZ Alkmaar with them finishing in an unexpected 3rd place in Dembele's first season, with them very close to actually winning the title (I think they choked in their last 2 games). Dembele's third season at AZ saw them win the league title, with Dembele rated as one of the best players in the league. Overall he scored 24 goals in 118 games in his 3 seasons at AZ which was a good return.

He then spent 2 years at Fulham and played very well indeed, he adapted to English football pretty much immediately and had a good first season and then went on to have a superb second season and it was this that earned him a £15 million move to us. At Spurs he started extremely well for AVB and was a very good player in that first season. In his second season at Spurs I think the whole team suffered from AVBs negative tactcs and a very large Gareth Bale sized hole in the team. If I remember correctly Dembele also suffered a bit of a stop start season that year with a few hip injuries.

Last season, again I thought Dembele had mostly good moments with a single bad game against West Ham. This season he has again been very good.

He has had 3 full seasons at Spurs and played for 3 different managers, all of which have very different philosophies of how to play the game and Dembele has been moved around various positions as those managers have tried to implement a style of play.

Personally I would say that the football Dembele is showing now is probably closer to his general standard of play with the second season under AVB being the stand out bad season as opposed to him suddenly becoming a good player. I also think that his recent consistently excellent performances have come from him finally playing for Pochettino's team in his best position (and I think he also played in that same kind of position in AVB's first season and under Martin Jol and Fulham).

I know that you have never liked him GB, and you have banged on for the last 3 transfer windows about us getting rid of him, but surely it is time for you to admit that you got it wrong with Dembele?

Last edited:

Dunno what it is about that Sqawka.com but whenever I try to load up an article on my laptop (in either Firefox or Chrome) all I can see is the header and footer on an otherwise blank white page and yet I can hear some sports news video playing which remains invisible even if I pause the AdBlocker :confused:

Despite the pesky adverts, the site loads up okay on my mobile and tablet (albeit there's no sign of the news video on either o_O) so cheers for the link as it is indeed a nice summary of the progress Dembele has made recently.

In Poch we trust!

Does anyone think if the unthinkable happens (Kane gets injured) that Dembele could play up top? Just a thought. Certainly can hold the ball up and is probably the strongest player in the squad. I admit he doesn't have the usual attributes to play up top, but it's something I'd be really curious to see!

Excellent news.

As for his position, personally, I think he's best next to dier. And Ali better further up the field. My first 11 though would be lloris, Walker, To y, Jan, Davies, Dier, Dembele, Lamela, Son, Eriksen, Kane

Realistically rose for Davies, but definitely wouldn't have Ali in my first 11. Even though I think he'll be better than pretty much everyone in that team within 18 months.

Chelsea are having a laugh, they can dream but they can sod off

http://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/transfer-news/Chel53a-eye-transfer-raids-jamie-6908119

Chelsea are ready to splash £40million in January bids for Jamie Vardy and Mousa Dembele.

Jose Mourinho’s champions have had a shambolic start to their title defence.

And they have lined up the Spurs midfielder and Leicester’s red-hot striker as targets for the looming winter transfer window.

The Stamford Bridge boss believes £20m-rated Dembele would give his ailing champions a desperately-needed mid-season boost and believes the club should make an offer.

Dembele has been in outstanding form for Mauricio Pochettino’s team in recent weeks but Spurs had been willing to sell the player last summer and his long-term future remains uncertain.

And Mourinho will get another close look at him on Sunday when the two teams meet at White Hart Lane.

As revealed in Mirror Sport earlier this month, Spurs are opening talks over a new deal to replace Dembele’s current contract which expires in 18 months.

But he is likely to keep his powder dry with Chelsea and Stoke City both holding a keen interest in him.

Vardy, the division’s top marksman this season, will try to break Ruud van Nistelrooy’s Premier League record of scoring in 10 games in a row when Leicester take on Manchester United on Saturday night.

I assume your link is about Moose (doesn't open)? Well they're also linked with Kane. Doing their best to make news and unsettle the players and fans. Move on folks, our boys want to be in the ECL next season.

Does anyone think if the unthinkable happens (Kane gets injured) that Dembele could play up top? Just a thought. Certainly can hold the ball up and is probably the strongest player in the squad. I admit he doesn't have the usual attributes to play up top, but it's something I'd be really curious to see!

Sure. He was a striker earlier in his career, let's not forget: it's very likely he knows how to play there. In fact, I think Fulham signed him as a striker, so what you're suggesting certainly isn't inconceivable. However, I will add that, even when playing as a striker, Mousa wasn't overly prolific, so we'll definitely miss at least some goal threat if that unimaginable eventuality comes to pass. Chadli would be the superior option in that regard.

Excellent news.

As for his position, personally, I think he's best next to dier. And Ali better further up the field. My first 11 though would be lloris, Walker, To y, Jan, Davies, Dier, Dembele, Lamela, Son, Eriksen, Kane

Realistically rose for Davies, but definitely wouldn't have Ali in my first 11. Even though I think he'll be better than pretty much everyone in that team within 18 months.

That's how we play IMO, even if the lineups are presented the other way around.

Back