• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Michael Dawson

Re: Dawson

Keep him, he still has plenty to offer on the pitch. Like someone else said anyone would struggle against some of the top strikers the top 4 have so why do people continulally judge Dawson on this. He has been part of the defences that have completely turned around our away form in the last few years, he is very effective against 10-12 of the PL teams.

verts had been here 2years, Chiriches 1year, if we sell Dawson then we will be left with a lot of defensive inexperience at CB, especially if we are considering buying in another foreigner in Moreno or Rojo for example. Will these players quickly adapt to the PL and England?

Dawson is only 31, he had 2 or 3 years left in him at this level. His experience is so vital at this level and will allow Poch to bring in another defender and slowly bed him in to football over here.

Anyone who would sell Dawson doesnt understand a basic fundamental of building a football team or squad. Ironically this has been the case with several of our previous managers and Directors of Football.

And our current manager, Poch, too then, assuming transfer discussions with Hull from various sources are true. AVB also wanted to get rid.

Like someone else said anyone would struggle against some of the top strikers the top 4 have so why do people continulally judge Dawson on this.

Eh, because we are trying to get in to top 4? Seems to me we use that yardstick regarding many other players/positions (and in some cases, very quickly). 'He's a not a Top 4 goalscorer, or striker, or winger, or midfielder'. So, why not at CB? A case could be made that we don't have a top 4 CB at the club, and if top 4 is where we want to be, then it would behove us to have top 4 CB's (who would, of course, also be even better against the '10-12 lesser teams' than Dawson is).

Last edited:

It's really not as simple as picking 11 'top 4' players. You nee to select a balanced squad and more importantly, team of players.
To select 11 technical players who lack some of the more intangible qualities is a disaster in the making. Every great manager has worked this conundrum out.
Perhaps, if the Hull RUMOURS are true, Poch feels he has sufficient other players who can bring Dawson's qualities to the table, or perhaps he will prove to be another dud?

It's really not as simple as picking 11 'top 4' players. You nee to select a balanced squad and more importantly, team of players.
To select 11 technical players who lack some of the more intangible qualities is a disaster in the making. Every great manager has worked this conundrum out.
Perhaps, if the Hull RUMOURS are true, Poch feels he has sufficient other players who can bring Dawson's qualities to the table, or perhaps he will prove to be another dud?

You're arguing against no one or straw men. No one has argued against a balanced squad, only picking technical players or that we realistically could just pick 11 "top 4 players".

Dawson's alright in my book, won't mind him staying, but I also won't mind it if he moves on this summer.

I think the issue people who don't see the value of selling Dawson is

- What value is 4M to the club really?
- vs. a decent, experienced CB who can get to play in all those Europa/CC games, and be cover for the inevitable injuries/suspensions (how many times have we had 4 CBs and all injured?)
- Add the fact that he obviously loves Spurs and is long time servant of the club.

To me, we could keep him another year, see how it works with him not as first choice, and could still get the same price in a year if we really wanted to sell.

-£4m is £4m. We regularly break even in the transfer market, £4m and the freed up wages should be enough for Baldini to bring in someone interesting at worst.

-I would rather see someone with a bit more potential in those Europa/CC games. We do need cover, but we also need quality. I agree that he's good enough to be cover for us, but I don't think that's a very high bar. Obviously if we sell any centre back we need to bring someone else in.

-He does, and that's wonderful. Same could be said about Livermore and we still sold him though.

I don't think we'll find a better back-up central defender than Dawson (factoring in his experience and standing at the club along with his helping fulfil the "home grown" quota). So selling him for £4m seems insane to me.

That said, I would absolutely stress the "back-up" part of that description. If he wants more than a back-up role, then out of respect for the guy, I'd let him go alright, but if he's willing to sit out a lot of premiership matches and feature mostly in early rounds of the cups and as injury cover - then definitely keep him.

the other thing is, he might actually want to go, he is originally from north of the wall, and isn't his brother there still?

I don't think we'll find a better back-up central defender than Dawson (factoring in his experience and standing at the club along with his helping fulfil the "home grown" quota). So selling him for £4m seems insane to me.

That said, I would absolutely stress the "back-up" part of that description. If he wants more than a back-up role, then out of respect for the guy, I'd let him go alright, but if he's willing to sit out a lot of premiership matches and feature mostly in early rounds of the cups and as injury cover - then definitely keep him.

Absolutely agree. I also think that there is still room for sentiment and loyalty within the game. I support Spurs as a club and I want my club to be more than just a money making win at all costs machine. I want my club to have higher ideals than the other ****ers and stand by those ideals even when it doesn't suit the club to do it, including showing loyalty to a player that has shown plenty for the Spurs cause. I get that he's not he player he was but he still performs at a decent level and it could be argued was our most consistent defender at the club last year. He has been a loyal servant to the club and a leader on and off the pitch and these firmly stack up in the plus column for me. I wouldn't mind if he retired a Spurs player.

Absolutely agree. I also think that there is still room for sentiment and loyalty within the game. I support Spurs as a club and I want my club to be more than just a money making win at all costs machine. I want my club to have higher ideals than the other ****ers and stand by those ideals even when it doesn't suit the club to do it, including showing loyalty to a player that has shown plenty for the Spurs cause. I get that he's not he player he was but he still performs at a decent level and it could be argued was our most consistent defender at the club last year. He has been a loyal servant to the club and a leader on and off the pitch and these firmly stack up in the plus column for me. I wouldn't mind if he retired a Spurs player.

i agree aswell.We would be stupid to sell for 4 million, he's worth more to us than that.Even if we dont play him all the time we wont find a better more commited backup, loves the club aswell.

I say sell him he's English after all replace him with some more foreign players with no premier league experience worked wonders last season. The Daniel levy master plan.

Keep him, he was poor last season but there's still a good premier league player in him.

He comes across as a good lad and someone who is well liked in the dressing room. If after this season he's not improved under POCH who was a very good defender and knows a thing or two about defending, then fine sell him.

Gotta keep him for this season for me

The Sun reckon we have agreed the deal with Hull.

I do think it is a sad day if he leaves and I still think he would do a good job if we didn't play a high line and against Andy Carroll types. But knowing Levy, getting 4 million for a 30 year old is perfect for him.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Fapatalk

Great servant to the club and a great example of a pro, but as I've said before he's nowhere near what he was 3 or 4 seasons ago, what pace and agility he did have is fast fading and with our continued high line it often left him in no man's land positionally.

If Poch is going to continue his pressing game and high line then Dawson is not the man we need in defence, nor should he of been when AVB arrived. For a team like Hull who will often play deeper Dawson will do very well when he's not left with so much space behind him.

He is cack I appreciate the effort he put in over the years but that is all he offered, effort. Increasingly he was a liability and cost us points.

Time to bring in Joe Gomez.

He's a part of the furniture at the club, and I'd hate to see him leave this season. Sure, he isn't very good anymore, but his strengths (penalty-box defending, last-ditch tackles, aerial ability, passion, leadership) could still come in handy in certain tactical moments (a three-man defence, say, with Verts/A.N.Other covering, or a 'batten down the hatches' last-ten-minutes type situation), and his Englishness and time spent at the club would do wonders for our home-grown quota and ability to make a transition from Sherwood's madness to Poch's new tactics, respectively.

Keep him here for another year, if he wants to be here. Then, if necessary, part ways amicably. If he wants to go, that's fine, but I don't think we should be forcing him out, imo: he's got too much left to offer.

He is cack I appreciate the effort he put in over the years but that is all he offered, effort. Increasingly he was a liability and cost us points.

Time to bring in Joe Gomez.

He is not cack at all and if he was then I shudder to think what you think of the rest of our CBs. He was our most reliable last season, and we need to get in at least two more CBs before entertaining him leaving, especially for £4m that is ridiculous.....

Back