• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Mauricio Pochettino - Sacked

You got that transferitis, I see. Happens to most, every window.

What do we actually know? I think its fair to say, the square root of fudge all.

We know we havent signed anyone.
We know Poch is somewhat frustrated with that.
We know Poch recognises he isnt the one doing the deals.
We know there is still a week to go - despite the doom and gloom the window is actually still open.
We know Poch just signed a new contract, so presumably, at least as of a couple of weeks ago, he was very happy in the job and with its long term prospects.
We know several players have also been signed to longer term deals, I would assume this made him happy.

We dont know what deals we are pursuing.
We dont know who or how many players.
We dont know the quality.
We dont know the status of these deals, maybe they are nearly complete?
We dont know how Poch feels about them. He has always struck me as pragmatic, and understanding that the business side of things is seperate from the football.

For all we know, we have a few deals in the works that Poch believes will see us challenge for the league - and he is actually delighted - with these comments being nothing more than frustration that they arent over the line yet.

And theres the crux of it.

People spin comments like these with their own paranoia and then go off on one.

So I have to ask, is the whole media narrative around our lack of signings getting to you?
Agree with your consistent line about we don’t know what’s going on behind the scenes and let’s wait until end of window before judging.

The thing I’m not so convinced about is this constant Poch must be happy, he signed a new contract recently. I agreed to a pay rise not long ago, that doesn’t mean I’m not on the look out for better job.....

Agree with your consistent line about we don’t know what’s going on behind the scenes and let’s wait until end of window before judging.

The thing I’m not so convinced about is this constant Poch must be happy, he signed a new contract recently. I agreed to a pay rise not long ago, that doesn’t mean I’m not on the look out for better job.....

Theres a balance to that.

Contracts protect the club, they arent just about pay rises and commitment etc.

And, honestly, everyone should always be open to opportunities - its a constant risk IMHO even if its not always on your mind.

He did sign a new deal. At the very least that means we will get more compensation for him than otherwise. Though I think it is a fair assumption that he was happy to sign, and to be happy to sign he must have felt we had the right intentions going forward.

Of course, things can change, but right now Im not concerned about it myself.

Theres a balance to that.

Contracts protect the club, they arent just about pay rises and commitment etc.

And, honestly, everyone should always be open to opportunities - its a constant risk IMHO even if its not always on your mind.

He did sign a new deal. At the very least that means we will get more compensation for him than otherwise. Though I think it is a fair assumption that he was happy to sign, and to be happy to sign he must have felt we had the right intentions going forward.

Of course, things can change, but right now Im not concerned about it myself.
Of course mate it protects the club and I don’t think Poch isn’t happy, I just don’t think him signing that contract should be used as evidence that everything with him is hunky dory. FWIW I think we will make at least two signings,and hopefully they are the ones Poch wanted and we can focus on the football. With it being such a slow/uneventful window for us I think a lot of things on here are getting over analysed.....

Of course mate it protects the club and I don’t think Poch isn’t happy, I just don’t think him signing that contract should be used as evidence that everything with him is hunky dory. FWIW I think we will make at least two signings,and hopefully they are the ones Poch wanted and we can focus on the football. With it being such a slow/uneventful window for us I think a lot of things on here are getting over analysed.....

Always the way. And, generally, the longer it goes on the more negative that analysis becomes, until we end up with full on melt downs all over the place!

I think its fair to assume that he is happy, in so much as he signed the deal just a few weeks ago and presumably felt our intentions matched his. However, that doesnt mean he will be happy forever more, as you point out.

I would hope at this stage we were still in something of a honeymoon phase though ;)

Convinced it is his last season with the club, he would not do anything rash and leave now just before the season, it would look bad to other clubs.

Think he has probably decided to leave at the end of the season. Would put money on it with anyone.

Not surprised people are flipping out sadly. The way of it these days. I think people are forgetting that shifting players is very important. If CMs or CBs look and see Toby and Dembele still with is, they will be more reluctant to arrive. It is NOT just about money, it is about maintaining a manageable squad size and showing genuine room for plAyers to play. I think Liverpool’s spending has been both funny and necessary in so much as they needed a goalkeeper and needed a Milner bridge. West Ham too needed pretty much an entire side. We shall see what they do. And bear in mind, agents will continue to use us as leverage for players we may never have taken a sniff at. But I really wish our supporters could
1) wait until the end of the window and
2) see at least some of the wood for the trees

As for the Poch-doom...why even go there? I GENUINELY don’t get it...

Sitting on my porcelain throne using glory-glory.co.uk mobile app

Not surprised people are flipping out sadly. The way of it these days. I think people are forgetting that shifting players is very important. If CMs or CBs look and see Toby and Dembele still with is, they will be more reluctant to arrive. It is NOT just about money, it is about maintaining a manageable squad size and showing genuine room for plAyers to play. I think Liverpool’s spending has been both funny and necessary in so much as they needed a goalkeeper and needed a Milner bridge. West Ham too needed pretty much an entire side. We shall see what they do. And bear in mind, agents will continue to use us as leverage for players we may never have taken a sniff at. But I really wish our supporters could

I think you make a good point. The type of player we would ideally be seeking now - top level - will want one of 2 things :
A) guaranteed playing time; and/or
B) mega wages.

We know we can’t yet do B). And given the standard of player we currently have across most positions, A) is difficult.
Come and fight for your place (on a very respectable but not earth shattering wage) is a hard message to sell to established players.

Bolded bit is the key for me. Not going to sit here and pretend I'm happy that we have acquired noone, as I dont subscribe to us being fine as we are - there are areas we could/should be upgrading and I also dont subscribe to the just bringing through more youth players instead. We have one of if not the youngest squad as it is, we need more experienced and established quality. That being said I cant pretend to know the ins and outs of our dealings or even who we are genuinely after so not going to complain until the window has shut and we have clear evidence of our squad, and Im sure after the window shuts more will come out about what happened. No point whinging about things right now when we dont know what position our squad will be in come start of the season and who our targets even were....

I remember saying "wait til the end of the window, don't judge it yet..." a few years ago... then it was Ryan Nelsen and Louis Saha... I think, my memory is shocking

I think this is an important point and is key when discussing the media narrative around a lack of signings and Poch supposedly being unhappy, Levy needing to 'get the chequebook out', 'is that a coded message from Poch to Levy?' etc. I think it's all nonsense personally.

Does Poch want us to continually improve? I'm sure as hell he does. Does he want to provide appropriate competition to make sure that all players are pushing themselves - at the right level of tension whereby they all feel they have a fair shot, but know they need to work hard to earn their place? Of course he does.

But if we read his comments without the media narrative layered on to them, it's clear he sees the early closure of the window as an issue for the club and our plans, and this would suggest he is more in line with the club that we have been lead to think. I see all these comments of 'we'll be screwed if Toby and Rose leave because we haven't signed anyone' - completely ignoring the fact that the fact that they haven't left yet, and that we aren't in late state discussions with players in their position as probably linked to a significant degree.

Quite simply, we can't sign a left back for big money while Rose is still here. Because we'll either be left with 3 left backs for the season, or we'd be hoping that a European club with a longer transfer window can come along, pull our pants down and offer a pittance because they know we'd want to shift one, both for reasons of squad harmony and for money. Similarly with Toby, I can see us holding on to him for another year simply because it isn't worth our while to accept 35/40 or whatever clubs want to pay when we will get 25 next year. We may as well keep him. And Sess getting promoted with Fulham put paid to that deal, and may well have brought Rose another year.

So is Poch slightly frustrated that we can't make the moved we want to make to get the squad entirely in his image, to get the bad apples out and to get everyone he wants? I'm sure he is. But I don't think that frustration is towards the club, or Levy being tight, I think he's smart enough to recognize the difficulty of this transfer window and because he thinks about the long-term, I'm sure he doesn't mind biding his time, particularly when he can still count on Rose and Toby putting the effort in for another year, because for all the disappointing elements of how their sagas have unfolded, they do have professional pride, and they do have friends in the squad. They haven't burned bridges, so I think we'll be ok.

So maybe this isn't the season where we make that final push and have the entire squad 150% behind Poch's plan. But we'll still be up there. We'll still have a quality squad, and we'll still have everything that makes us successful. We've done well because we've thought about the long term implications of everything we do, and don't make any rash decisions. The absolute dream would be Martial / Pulisic and a top class Dembele replacement, Rose out for Sess and maybe Toby out, Maguire in (for example). If that doesn't happen, and we sign Grealish and Cook, or Grealish and no-one else, I'm still going to be bloody comfortable with our squad, and have a lot of belief for the season.

I'm certainly not going to get my knickers in a twist over a lack of signings. The Bale money summer put paid to be caring, quite honestly, about new players. Particularly if I can see we have a quality team that improves year over year by virtue of playing together. Everton last season reconfirmed it. And that isn't to say we don't need to improve, or that we don't need to plug obvious gaps when they appear, it's just I think people have been a bit spooked by Liverpool going on a spree at the same time as us going on a tour with a lot of injuries and a lot of players still on holiday. But really, when you think it through, we've got a great first 11, and good depth in a lot of areas. And a lot of good young players we shouldn't really be blocking the pathway for too. I'm really ok with where our club is at. We're about to enter a new stadium, and have the best squad of my lifetime. Let's bloody enjoy this season and trust the Manager, and the Chairman, because they have gotten us this far ahead of the odds.

The way we are heading we will not be winning anything soon.

Out first IX are great and settled which is not going to help as they genuinely need competition for places.

Levy not playing ball at the moment but we shall see what happens.

I wouldn't blame Poch or any of our players to leave after this season.

The way we are heading we will not be winning anything soon.

Out first IX are great and settled which is not going to help as they genuinely need competition for places.

Levy not playing ball at the moment but we shall see what happens.

I wouldn't blame Poch or any of our players to leave after this season.

Our squad is much better than our fans want to say ... we have basically a third team touring currently and their more than holding their own

And these players touring are showing a Poch something that naturally creates competition as the have been successful so far

Feels really odd to me that people think Poch will leave after a transfer window hasn’t gone to plan based on pure speculation of fans (we haven’t been shown to ace actually bid for atone we want yet, so can’t have failed IMO).

Poch signed a long term contract knowing exactly what is happening and the what our plans are... he would have influenced those plans hugely

I think you make a good point. The type of player we would ideally be seeking now - top level - will want one of 2 things :
A) guaranteed playing time; and/or
B) mega wages.

We know we can’t yet do B). And given the standard of player we currently have across most positions, A) is difficult.
Come and fight for your place (on a very respectable but not earth shattering wage) is a hard message to sell to established players.

...plus the chemistry. A mega-wage squaddie "can" be disruptive. Poch might not be yet ready (or willing!) to manage such situations yet...

If I’d been offered “no squad changes” mid May I’d have taken that there and then.

That's great, however there will be an issue next summer with the likes of Verts, Dembele and Alderweireld. The first two can walk away for free and Toby can leave for 25 mill.

Try replacing those three for 25 mill with our sell to buy policy.

Back