• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Mauricio Pochettino - Sacked

We have not been able to bring in anyone let alone the quality of those two. If I was Levy I would swallow my pride and pay Toby based on the mess that this window has been

No rush, if we keep him this summer we have all season to sort out a new contract. Which may well depend upon:

The issue there will be whether or not his relationship with Poch is beyond repair

Rumours he didnt conduct himself well (a big no-no for Poch) dont sound good do they?

We have other things to worry about in the window, Alderweirelds contract can wait. If we do keep him, he may need to prove himself as Billy says before we sit and talk anyway.

Interesting comments from Poch........(and maybe a message to others beyond the youth?)

"Football is about energy, desire, respect for yourself and your teammates, being professional. Of course, Luke Amos is a good example," he said.

"He played three games of 90 minutes. He's not so young - 21 - but maybe he doesn't have Premier League experience but his performances in the three games showed it's not a problem to put him to play [against Saudi Sportswashing Machine].

"Maybe he's going to play ahead of some senior players. I'm more than brave and if I believe in some players I go with all the consequences."

"I'm happy for the many young players who stepped up and behaved very well on and off the pitch. That's most important," he said. "The quality of time that we spent together, training and competing with big sides like Roma, Barcelona and Milan and the way they behaved made us very happy.

"They showed they have the potential to one day be consistent in the first team. I'm so happy with them and the whole squad because they behaved so well.

"I want to congratulate all the academy coaches because they're working for a long time to produce these players for the first team. John McDermott, Dean Rastrick and all the staff there that try to provide players for the first team.

"Be sure they feel very proud after this tour. On and off the pitch — that is so important. In San Diego, Los Angeles and here only the people that are around the team only have good words and respect for the players involved in this tour. We finish in a good way, back to London tomorrow for the start pre-season in a good way."

Clear that attitude and behaviour is just as important as ability and talent.

Maybe the 'brave' comments is trusting the youth.

I see no reason our model shouldn't be

1. Keep and reward our core players
2. Use youth to filll squad roles (even as deep as Sissoko, Aurier (after another season), Llorente, GNK etc)
3. Only buy players capable of impacting the current top 13/14 players

Of course some of that is easier said than done but no.2 is completely in our control and the fact these players cost nothing and are likely to be ok on 10k a week for a while, this feeds into the ability to succeed at no.1 and 3.

It is hard for a club in our position as the punts or players who look to have potential are 20,30,40,50 £M now. The Njie,GNK punts could well be the Malcoms, Richarlisons now and are such a financial risk for a long shot outcome. As we have seen with some of our 'failures' (Janssen, Llorente) it's hard to offload someone when they basically look sh*t:)

The oppurtunist buys we will always be open too. (Dier, Moura, Toby, Victor etc).

Maybe the 'brave' comments is trusting the youth..

If you believe that was what Poch originally meant, could I interest you in this bridge? And in a unicorn-powered max-fac customs arrangement?

It's notable that Poch is prepared to help the club with a reverse ferret on the bravery agenda, though. Notable and depressing.

If you believe that was what Poch originally meant, could I interest you in this bridge? And in a unicorn-powered max-fac customs arrangement?

It's notable that Poch is prepared to help the club with a reverse ferret on the bravery agenda, though. Notable and depressing.

No.
No.
No.
Tottenham Hotspur Football Club v.2018, depressing. No.

I think the problem with those comments is nobody knows what he meant, but many have assumed a definition and used it as a stick to beat Levy with.

Being brave could mean a number of things, couldnt it?

- Do nothing, trust in the development of our players - wouldnt that be brave?
- Clear out some established players, and bring in youth in numbers
- Go all in for one superstar player and hang your hopes there
- have a major clear out/turn over of players to re-invent the team
- and, yes, spend a brick tonne on top talent

He was never specific. It was, I think, something of a soundbite, but of course everyone just jumped on it with their preferred angle.

I expect a VDV signing on the final day, if not we will get relegated after Poch leaves in December and the stadium burns down due to a gas pipe bursting.

Last edited:
I think the problem with those comments is nobody knows what he meant, but many have assumed a definition and used it as a stick to beat Levy with.

He was never specific. It was, I think, something of a soundbite, but of course everyone just jumped on it with their preferred angle.
Begs the question why did he bother saying be brave at all in the media if he was going to be so ambiguous about it and not elaborate?He’s an intelligent man he must of known how it would likely be taken by fans....

Begs the question why did he bother saying be brave at all in the media if he was going to be so ambiguous about it and not elaborate?He’s an intelligent man he must of known how it would likely be taken by fans....

Who knows? Maybe he wanted to apply pressure to Levy, he did sign his deal shortly after?

Maybe he just didnt see much to it and its been blown out of proportion?

he doesnt have to elaborate to the media. The details of his proposals/plans was between him and Levy were rightly private, saying they are maybe "crazy ideas" and "brave" means obviously he proposed a change to how things are going and thats all we need to know tbf

Poch never really says much in interviews.

Ironically he does love using the word brave, it's one of his favourite English words.

When he does say something that gets picked up on it is usually because he was sending a message (of some type).

The timing and repetition of the quotes definitely implied he'd thought about what he was saying and imo it was him saying that he needed to re-evaluate the 'project' as he felt we/he was doing all he could with what he had and he needs pathways to take us further.

Of course finishing 2nd/3rd in the league doesn't really leave much room to take us further BUT Poch is realistic and reasonable and I don't think he'd be asking the earth, just a reassurance that what he has created is gonna be built on and not hindered/dismantled. He for his own satisfaction needs to see some form of progress.

Kind of 'you can see I'm the man, let's be brave, let's do this' . He certainly de-risks a lot on the playing side (financially) and Levy must love that, but being prudent and calculated is hard to pivot away from (even slightly) if that is your learned behaviour. Bottom line is Levy wants Poch to stick around, so he's gonna make the right noises and I don't think Poch was going anywhere anyway with the grand return to the Lane (Poch gets the emotion and journey part of the game and sees that as legacy building), we just need Poch to feel he's 'acheived'...so I guess that's a cup.

He may be a intelligent man but he forgot that some fans are not and are good at making 2+2 = 5.

As you say he could have meant anything, but some have used it to have yet another bitch about Levy.

I agree with all of this

And also as someone said Poch loves to use the word brave a lot

It was a spur of the moment comment that even he himself is struggling to qualify now

I for one think it’s brave to sign all the players we have up to longer terms deals espcailly the recent two (a regularly injured Lamela and a potentially of to the army Son)

Ir would really be brave not to sign anyone. Actually i think we can if alder and Dembele stays.

Sent from my SM-G960F using Fapatalk

I agree with all of this

And also as someone said Poch loves to use the word brave a lot

It was a spur of the moment comment that even he himself is struggling to qualify now

I for one think it’s brave to sign all the players we have up to longer terms deals espcailly the recent two (a regularly injured Lamela and a potentially of to the army Son)
For me the bravest bit was Levy abandoning his tight wage ceiling.

But he knew he had to do it.

It wouldn’t be so bad even if we sold a player or two and signed no one.

1. We can develop from within. There is enough in existing talents like Moura and Lamela even Sissoko. Ability that needs drawing out. These players are settled and need to now deliver at a high standard. And we have youth prospects a plenty to fill the bench.

2. No point making Sissokoesque signings late in the window for the sake of a signing. Pool the money and spend it on quality when available.

With the new stadium a buzz, the existing squad better than its ever been, signings are not everything this summer. Maybe we’ll have a surprise at the end of the window, but if we don’t we have a sizeable squad and probably too many players as we are.

Sitting on my porcelain throne using glory-glory.co.uk mobile app

It depends on what we want to achieve. If we want to stay in the top 4 and win a trophy we should be fine, if we dont lose key players. We can alsi afford to develop from within and also lose some deadweight as suggested above.

But its going to be hard to win the league!

Sent from my SM-G960F using Fapatalk

Back