• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Mauricio Pochettino - Sacked

But yes, I get the sense Poch wants a few more established players and is keen to test himself with these types of egos, and it will be interesting to see how they fit into the dynamic he has created with the players we already have. And how he adjusts his own leadership style to suit it. That is the sense I get, and that shift was already in motion when he said that an academy player now needs to be a 9 or 10 to get in the team rather than a 7.

If he’s truly the next Fergie, he’ll be able to sign egos and have them fit into the family vibe. But that will be the test of whether he’s going to be seen as one the greatest of all time for us or if we will look back on him as the guy that got us into the new stadium with CL football but we needed someone else to drive us on. Leadership is leadership and strategy is strategy, so I think he’s a capable of adapting as we grow more than anyone else. He doesn’t seem wedded too much to any particular principle, other than the collective comes first, and if I had to bet on it I’d say he keeps growing with us, and doesn’t top out.

Ok, but there’s also the possibility Pep won’t be at City next season. Not a likely one, but if this is the level of the debate then we can open it up to absolutely everything.

If Toby was a class above Sanchez, in the same way he is a class above Foyth, I’m sure Poch would have brought him back in. @milo ’s point on performance was that Toby didn’t do enough to justify getting back in, and Sanchez didn’t do anything to deserve being dropped. Of course if there was no contract situation and no injury, Toby may have never left the team, but as we have discussed, long term strategy dictated playing Sanchez being the best move.

He may not be getting the transfer budget he was expecting, but I think he’s doing what anyone in his position would do. He’s been quite smart politically since he’s been at the club and his capital internally will probably never be stronger considering what he was achieved. It’s absolutely the right time for him to make a play for the cash he thinks he needs to build a team to win something. And it’s for Levy to push the limits as much as possible while keeping us sustainable long term. That is the right dynamic - the Chairman is the custodian and the Manager needs the resources to get better performances. These conversations happen at every club every season - it just so happens that in ours we’re now going to have more money to play with and CL for the 3rd year running. But these are opportunities and cause for optimism. I am not worried because I don’t think Levy is going to want to slow our progress or jeopardise the relationship with Poch, and I think Poch is aware enough of what we can and can’t do financially that he isn’t going to be too downhearted with what he gets. I believe in them both, and I love the ambition Poch has. If anything I think Levy will have a slightly more longer term view than any coach (and progress shows over the last decade that we should trust him in this regard) but I also think Poch is a coach that has made his career on not needing money and developing players, more than any other, so I can’t imagine both finding another place they will be as appreciated by one another.

Pep’s public comments have been nowhere near as ambiguous as Pochettino’s. You seem to have a narrative you want to push and are cherry picking what’s in the public domain to suit that narrative and dismissing the bits that don’t as “Poch using the media.”

Take a look at the quotes in the espn piece. It paints a different picture than the one you’re trying to paint.

On Toby. He’s world class. Every big team will be in for him. Few of the big sides are interested in Sanchez. I’d also argue that Sanchez’s displays at Anfield and Turin merited dropping. He was as terrible at Anfield as he was brilliant at The Emirates and he was spectacularly good at the Emirates. The point is that he’s young and error prone. In a CL knockout game or FA Cup semi final, you can’t really afford to carry that if you have a world class player warming the bench.

Doesn’t exactly paint the picture of two men joined at the hip in terms of long term strategy. There is a reference about “new idea”, “the club and us”, a need to spend a lot more money to win and only now talking to the chairman about what happens next season.

Ok...that comment was in relation to Levy needing someone who can work with young players and can make them better, because we wouldn’t have the finances of top clubs, and Poch being that guy. And a bunch of Poch’s previous comments (which he has even alluded to today) around us needing to be clever and compete in a ‘different way’. What about our dealings up to this point throughout Poch’s reign suggested they were not more in synch than any leadership tandem we have ever had? Hell, more than any other tandem in the league?

He’s using his political capital to make sure he gets as much as he can, as you would expect him to do. This is the mark of a winner to me, not the mark of someone preparing to jump ship.

Pep’s public comments have been nowhere near as ambiguous as Pochettino’s. You seem to have a narrative you want to push and are cherry picking what’s in the public domain to suit that narrative and dismissing the bits that don’t as “Poch using the media.”

Take a look at the quotes in the espn piece. It paints a different picture than the one you’re trying to paint.

On Toby. He’s world class. Every big team will be in for him. Few of the big sides are interested in Sanchez. I’d also argue that Sanchez’s displays at Anfield and Turin merited dropping. He was as terrible at Anfield as he was brilliant at The Emirates and he was spectacularly good at the Emirates. The point is that he’s young and error prone. In a CL knockout game or FA Cup semi final, you can’t really afford to carry that if you have a world class player warming the bench.

Ok, and what if we put Toby back in, he’s not back up to form and makes a mistake himself? What about in the summer when we make a bid for the next hot young Dembele replacement but he decides to join Chelsea because he’s got as much chance of playing first 11 games for them as he does for us? What about when Toby leaves us anyway and Sanchez is about 20 games behind in his development, but now has to be undisputed first choice in pressure games without the comfort of an experienced back up to take the pressure away? Playing Sanchez was as much about sending a message about the type of club we are, about what it means to be committed to our plan, about the opportunities you will get if you are high potential, as it was about a choice between who plays.

I think Poch is using the media today to pressure Levy, as well he should. I don’t think it’s personal, I don’t think it means he’s leaving, I think he’s using his capital to give him the best chance of getting as much money as possible. And Levy will judge how much is enough while keeping us sustainable. But they don’t worry me. They suggest a winner to me, someone that wants to keep us pushing on. As much as Poch and Levy probably get on, they still have their roles to play.

Give me the cash to build it and we will be better
Don’t and I can’t get us any better
Nothing more than that to me ...

I agree. Sensationalist jonos reading more into it. But there is a subtext, Poch is wanted, and while he wants to stay with us (imo) he needs to feel like he can compete. We don't want to sign the Sissokos, we want to sign 2 quality players, and keep the current best ones. I think Poch respects Levy's approach and the 2 men will align a vision. We cant be buying the slightly under the radar average players anymore, we may have to push the boat out for one or two top notch players. But if you're competing with city, united etc for a signing we will be outbid. So we will still need to find players who are slightly under the radar, but of a better calibre than Aurier and Sissoko.

I think those comments from Poch are quite interesting and could be read as him laying down the gauntlet to the Chairman to back him over the summer - will be interesting to see how it plays out

As I’ve been saying for bit, options are being left open. I think it’s 60/40 Poch will be here next season but I certainly don’t think it’s out of the question that he won’t.

I’m not sure Levy will like what was said.

Levy will not risk, if comes to a battle of wills there will be only one winner and we will. E looking for a new manager!

In that case, Levy can f*ck off and stay f*cked off. And that's a quote.

And I also think that, for the first time in a long while, a large number of Spurs fans might agree with me on that one.

Let's see what happens. I think Levy might be a bit freer with the money in the light of this request, though - he's tight, but he's certainly not stupid, and he knows the value of what we've got here.

Ok, and what if we put Toby back in, he’s not back up to form and makes a mistake himself? What about in the summer when we make a bid for the next hot young Dembele replacement but he decides to join Chelsea because he’s got as much chance of playing first 11 games for them as he does for us? What about when Toby leaves us anyway and Sanchez is about 20 games behind in his development, but now has to be undisputed first choice in pressure games without the comfort of an experienced back up to take the pressure away? Playing Sanchez was as much about sending a message about the type of club we are, about what it means to be committed to our plan, about the opportunities you will get if you are high potential, as it was about a choice between who plays.

I think Poch is using the media today to pressure Levy, as well he should. I don’t think it’s personal, I don’t think it means he’s leaving, I think he’s using his capital to give him the best chance of getting as much money as possible. And Levy will judge how much is enough while keeping us sustainable. But they don’t worry me. They suggest a winner to me, someone that wants to keep us pushing on. As much as Poch and Levy probably get on, they still have their roles to play.

I’ll ask one simple question on Toby and answer it honestly. If he didn’t have a contract dispute, do you think he would have played the big games that he missed since his return?

I think the intersting, and crucial dynamic, is how we deal with Rose, Toby, Dembele. Losing Walker no doubt effected us, and not having that stable back line this season was a loss. But, generating £50m odd by selling one player can be a clever way to boost the transfer kitty.

What does Poch want to do with Rose and Toby? They both have decent contracts, so ball should be in our court.

Give me the cash to build it and we will be better
Don’t and I can’t get us any better
Nothing more than that to me ...

Then I fear Poch is history.
The stadium will not allow us to increase spending sadly.
Pochettino will know where he stands. Brinkmanship is not a game Levy will play.
Pochettino will have known his budget months ago?

I think those comments from Poch are quite interesting and could be read as him laying down the gauntlet to the Chairman to back him over the summer - will be interesting to see how it plays out

Was obvious a week ago, but people are still trying to suggest something was lost in translation. Same as it was obvious toby and rose had tinkled Poch off. He is a temperamental one Poch. Hope this all works out and he keeps his motivation into next season.

@milo said Poch to be great would have to build another good team, i agree and i think Poch is scared after so many recent signings have not worked out.

Then I fear Poch is history.
The stadium will not allow us to increase spending sadly.
Pochettino will know where he stands. Brinkmanship is not a game Levy will play.
Pochettino will have known his budget months ago?

I think Poch likes his group of players. They are reaching an age now where they can deliver. This is his project don't forget.

I don't think it is as dramatic as the media would like to suggest. It's a call to arms for the club. And Poch and Levy will sit down and put in place a plan. Levy can be open with Poch about the fiances, and Poch can use Toby or Rose to bolster his funds if he thinks its prudent. Personally, I think we looked a lot better with both playing. Just a bit more experience and quality with them on the pitch. When we went 3 at the back we looked a lot more secure today.

I think the intersting, and crucial dynamic, is how we deal with Rose, Toby, Dembele. Losing Walker no doubt effected us, and not having that stable back line this season was a loss. But, generating £50m odd by selling one player can be a clever way to boost the transfer kitty.

What does Poch want to do with Rose and Toby? They both have decent contracts, so ball should be in our court.

Yep I think this is part of the problem, having to rebuild the back line. Rose and Toby are gone in my opinion. If Poch wants to stay and build a dynasty then he will have to be looking to replace verts and Lloris in the next 18 months as well.

I think that this may be the most significant bit

"Maybe I'm talking too much after 10 months [of] competition," he added. "Maybe I should breathe. Don't take this in [a] negative way, this always happens at the end of the season at all clubs, the manager speaks to owners, sporting director and chief executive to analyse the season and thinking how to improve."

I'd heard that Poch was looking to sell both before Christmas. He looking to refresh the squad and build his next side.

Back