• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Mauricio Pochettino - Sacked

He misses a lot of chances that’s all I’m saying. And I think there’s better finishers out there. He’s still my favourite ever Spurs player, but I’m saying what I see...

I know what you are saying ... i actually think if Aguero came into this team he would score more goals than Kane. However overall I think Kane brings more goals to the team and the passion that drives this forward to play above their "normal" levels of ability.

I know what you are saying ... i actually think if Aguero came into this team he would score more goals than Kane. However overall I think Kane brings more goals to the team and the passion that drives this forward to play above their "normal" levels of ability.
And we couldn't buy Aguero when he was for sale and we couldn't pay his wages. I suppose we'll just have to slum it and put up with Harry and all the chances he misses. You get what you pay for...

In isolation one semi final defeat isn’t a big deal but we have lost our last 7 FA cup semi finals. I think that’s a problem. And I don’t buy that the players don’t know or care about it. Ok some players may be oblivious to it but I’d be amazed if the likes of Kane weren’t aware of our record in the competition.
This is what I hate about selective stats, because it relates only to FA Cup ties since 1991, but over that same period we have won 5 League Cup SFs and then gone on to win in two finals. Not brilliant perhaps, but let's not create a jinx for ourselves eh? There's enough others out there falling over themselves trying to do that for us!

In isolation one semi final defeat isn’t a big deal but we have lost our last 7 FA cup semi finals. I think that’s a problem. And I don’t buy that the players don’t know or care about it. Ok some players may be oblivious to it but I’d be amazed if the likes of Kane weren’t aware of our record in the competition.

Lets win the QF before projecting SF negativity eh?!!!!!!

Sitting on my porcelain throne using glory-glory.co.uk mobile app

Big game are ones that really matter... cup games, league games that could put us top, away games against other CL contenders.

Beating the big teams at home in the league is great but beating them in games that male a difference is key

You get the same amount points for beating them at home as you do away - they're just as important.

Id be inclined to think that were we giving up points at home to rivals you'd be counting them as big games we were doing poorly in and were we losing to Real and Dortmund in the CL group stages, for example, you'd be counting those too. But we are doing well in those games so you ignore them and just focus on the games we are losing.

You get the same amount points for beating them at home as you do away - they're just as important.

Id be inclined to think that were we giving up points at home to rivals you'd be counting them as big games we were doing poorly in and were we losing to Real and Dortmund in the CL group stages, for example, you'd be counting those too. But we are doing well in those games so you ignore them and just focus on the games we are losing.
I have said it before mate, Poch will quash this narrative as he has all others since his arrival. He has shown he can win big games, heck if I am not mistaken we qualified top of the "group of death, " must have won some big games to achieve that and qualify. Patience is the key when he wins his trophy it will put to bed this nonsense once and for all.

:) but Aguero is playing for one of the best attacking team in the planet right now, a team that opens up opponents and creates chances at will, and yet he is behind Harry in the goalscoring charts iirc

All strikers miss chances.

Losing 7 FA Cup semi-finals does not make good reading. But like anything it depends on the optic. We've lost 7 semi-finals. But that leaves how many years when we didn't even progress that far?

I don't think you can lay the sins of the past onto the players of the now. Unless you believe in jinxes.

:) but Aguero is playing for one of the best attacking team in the planet right now, a team that opens up opponents and creates chances at will, and yet he is behind Harry in the goalscoring charts iirc

All strikers miss chances.
In the league Augero has a better minutes to goals ratio, and he's also taken a hell of a lot less shots than Kane. Kane keeps on going and keeps on shooting regardless of his misses and thats one of his great strengths. All that was being said was that he's not one of the deadliest finishers, thats not saying he's not a great striker....

Every team, barring the one that wins, loses in cup competitions.

Many lose "big" games.

92 teams go into this competition. Currently only 8 remain.

Of those 84 losers, many games would be considered "big".

Im not sure how this is a real complaint.
Of course, but we like to consider ourselves as one of the top clubs in this country. Can you suggest another of the top teams that even come close to having seven consecutive semi final defeats?! Lets hope we are overdue progressing to a final and it comes this year. We love to make excuses on this forum about our constant flattering to deceive....

I dont think we flatter to decieve.

In fact, I think we punch above our weight, so "flattering to deceive" seems something of a massive contradiction in that context.

These two things do not go together.

We arent Arsenal, or Chelsea. We havent had consistent CL participation and riches the last 15 years. We shouldnt have the same expectations as they do. We dont really compare, at this time.

We are a growing club, catching up, and getting close - but still someway behind developmentally.

This perspective must not be lost.

That isnt excusing loses, its simply understanding them in the wider context of our journey.

Look at the CL. Last season we were poor, no argument at all. This season we played much more maturely and as if we belonged there. We were the top performing group team in the entire competition, in a group including Madrid and Dortmund. And then we put the fear of GHod into Juve, a finalist 2 out of the last 3 seasons. And only their experience beat us.

Experience we will have gained ourselves from the campaign.

This is all part of "getting there" where the other teams have been for some time.

I would expect us to take steps forward in these respects. In managing games, in doing better in crunch ties, in how we conduct a whole campaign. Its what we have done every year under Poch.

A little patience, and perspective, goes a long way.

I dont think we flatter to decieve.

In fact, I think we punch above our weight, so "flattering to deceive" seems something of a massive contradiction in that context.

These two things do not go together.

We arent Arsenal, or Chelsea. We havent had consistent CL participation and riches the last 15 years. We shouldnt have the same expectations as they do. We dont really compare, at this time.

We are a growing club, catching up, and getting close - but still someway behind developmentally.

This perspective must not be lost.

That isnt excusing loses, its simply understanding them in the wider context of our journey.

Look at the CL. Last season we were poor, no argument at all. This season we played much more maturely and as if we belonged there. We were the top performing group team in the entire competition, in a group including Madrid and Dortmund. And then we put the fear of GHod into Juve, a finalist 2 out of the last 3 seasons. And only their experience beat us.

Experience we will have gained ourselves from the campaign.

This is all part of "getting there" where the other teams have been for some time.

I would expect us to take steps forward in these respects. In managing games, in doing better in crunch ties, in how we conduct a whole campaign. Its what we have done every year under Poch.

A little patience, and perspective, goes a long way.
Flatter to deceive not in general - but when it matters, the big games ie semis or in this case knockout stage of the CL. Real Madrid didnt look great in the groups but when it comes to the games that matter they up their game. No Im not comparing us to them thats just an example. Losing seven semi finals must of been over a period of a decade or longer Im guessing? Thats a crazy stat, we need to rectify that. You're absolutely right about learning from our experience in the CL, Ive no doubt we will be stronger for that come next season assuming we are there.

But this constant 'perspective' comment bugs me. I dont see anyone ranting that we should be winning this that or the other, simply those who are picking at the bits that have gone wrong. We have aspirations to win things, with our squad its a travesty that we have won nothing under Poch to date in what is his fourth season - and the reason that we havent is these small matters that people are bringing up and they are the difference between winning something and for the umpteempth season having nothing to show for our efforts. Its not perspective, noone is demanding anything but its the realism of what is required if we want to achieve what we believe we have the capability of doing....

We've lost one semi final under Pochettino and one CL knockout leg - if that is the extent of what you're talking about then two games in 4 seasons is hardly much to base an opinion on, is it?

Edit - forgot about the final of the League Cup so 3 games in 4 years but then we also won the semi to get to the final in the first place so there's a big game that we did advance through.

Last edited:
We've lost one semi final under Pochettino and one CL knockout leg - if that is the extent of what you're talking about then two games in 4 seasons is hardly much to base an opinion on, is it
Yeah, except we were talking about losing our last 7 semi finals so.....

Flatter to deceive not in general - but when it matters, the big games ie semis or in this case knockout stage of the CL. Real Madrid didnt look great in the groups but when it comes to the games that matter they up their game. No Im not comparing us to them thats just an example. Losing seven semi finals must of been over a period of a decade or longer Im guessing? Thats a crazy stat, we need to rectify that. You're absolutely right about learning from our experience in the CL, Ive no doubt we will be stronger for that come next season assuming we are there.

And over the last decade or so - who are we to have expected more than Semis?

And over the last decade or so, what? 5 managers? 6? Should those 7 games even be considered as a running theme? I say no, but your view might be different.

Personally, I think a stat like that is basically meaningless. And yet people try to infer some greater weakness to this current team based upon it.

When you spell it out, how silly does that sound?

But this constant 'perspective' comment bugs me. I dont see anyone ranting that we should be winning this that or the other, simply those who are picking at the bits that have gone wrong. We have aspirations to win things, with our squad its a travesty that we have won nothing under Poch to date in what is his fourth season - and the reason that we havent is these small matters that people are bringing up and they are the difference between winning something and for the umpteempth season having nothing to show for our efforts. Its not perspective, noone is demanding anything but its the realism of what is required if we want to achieve what we believe we have the capability of doing....

There is a lot of comment, unsurprisingly since we lost (and, unsurprisingly, every time we lose) about things like this.

Its most often rather over the top in its approach, compared to its substance.

Mostly because some people get OTT and a bit dramatic after a loss and cant handle it, so they end up ranting without any real sense of place for their comments.

Not saying thats you, just simple observation of the board over time.

And this is why people talk of perspective. Look at our journey since Poch and Wednesdays loss is disappointing but the over all view is positive. Rant and rave because you are butthurt after losing a game we (by rights) should have won, forgetting all perspective, and you will see a fairly predictable few days on here unfold.

Anyway, I digress. I agree with you we have ambition to win things, no denying that. I agree with you our squad is capable of winning, no denying that. However, I take the view that "its a travesty that we have won nothing under Poch" as completely lacking perspective. Now, perhaps, thats simply your choice of language prompting that response.

Were you to say "its disappointing that we have won nothing under Poch" I wouldnt have an argument myself. It is disappointing, even though I dont expect us to have won something, Id have liked us to have won something.

But, to say "its a travesty that we have won nothing under Poch" I have to take exception. It really isnt. We are building up to winning things, we are not at a level for it to have been a travesty that we havent.

This team is growing all the time, and getting better all the time, and yes - playing at a really good level right now. Were we at this level for 4 years? Maybe your comment would be more appropriate. The fact its taken us that long to reach this point? Sorry but that "perspective" word is the first that comes to mind.

Last edited:
And over the last decade or so - who are we to have expected more than Semis?

And over the last decade or so, what? 5 managers? 6? Should those 7 games even be considered as a running theme? I say no, but your view might be different.

Personally, I think a stat like that is basically meaningless. And yet people try to infer some greater weakness to this current team based upon it.

When you spell it out, how silly does that sound?

There is a lot of comment, unsurprisingly since we lost (and, unsurprisingly, every time we lose) about things like this.

Its most often rather over the top in its approach, compared to its substance.

Mostly because some people get OTT and a bit dramatic after a loss and cant handle it, so they end up ranting without any real sense of place for their comments.

Not saying thats you, just simple observation of the board over time.

And this is why people talk of perspective. Look at our journey since Poch and Wednesdays loss is disappointing but the over all view is positive. Rant and rave because you are butthurt after losing a game we (by rights) should have won, forgetting all perspective, and you will see a fairly predictable few days on here unfold.

Anyway, I digress. I agree with you we have ambition to win things, no denying that. I agree with you our squad is capable of winning, no denying that. However, I take the view that "its a travesty that we have won nothing under Poch" is completely lacking perspective. Now, perhaps, thats simply your choice of language prompting that response.

Were you to say "its disappointing that we have won nothing under Poch" I wouldnt have an argument myself. It is disappointing, even though I dont expect us to have won something, Id have liked us to have won something.

But, to say "its a travesty that we have won nothing under Poch" I have to take exception. It really isnt. We are building up to winning things, we are not at a level for it to have been a travesty that we havent.

This team is growing all the time, and getting better all the time, and yes - playing at a really good level right now. Were we at this level for 4 years? Maybe your comment would be more appropriate. The fact its taken us that long to reach this point? Sorry but that "perspective" word is the first that comes to mind.
I think its a travesty. I think it was a bloody travesty Leicester won the league ahead of us! But other than that Nayim, I hold my hands up and say good post....

Back