• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Mauricio Pochettino - Sacked

I've said for a long time that it appears that Poch doesn't have them fired up to start the game, we seem lax at the start of some game
its as if they have not thought about how the other team will play or be up for the game

Poch has said that in the first half we lacked fight, spirit, motivation and desire. My big question to him would have been " if you saw that was the case, why weren't you up off your seat cajoling, exhorting, encouraging and berating them" That is what the best coaches do.

This annoys me somewhat, the blokes spent the last couple of years distancing himself from the domestic cups, then wonders why the players no show?

I've said for a long time that it appears that Poch doesn't have them fired up to start the game, we seem lax at the start of some game
its as if they have not thought about how the other team will play or be up for the game
I'd imagine that's a side effect of ensuring they have plenty of technical info in mind when they hit the pitch.

There's probably a fine balance between the two. Whilst I'd like to see the team more motivated early in matches, I certainly wouldn't want some kind of Klopp-esque comedy show out there.

No he hasn't. He reached the final of one and last year reached the semi of the FA cup.

'It would mean nothing for me to win the League Cup or the FA Cup even though they are important. For me, the principal reason I am here is to try to challenge for the Premier League and the Champions League, to compete in the best competition in the world.'

Poch explains in his book why he tries to avoid doing that. Something along the lines of conveying calmness, confidence and belief in the players out there.

This theme often recurs in his comments. Also he has admitted to a tendency in the past to overreact to what is going on on the pitch and has felt that it does not show him in a good light. Therefore maybe he goes too far the other way?

Truth be told in his eyes he probably feels he cannot win either way. :D

"The Book" we will park that little tome. I could not care less his reasonings behind this or that he's our football manager, not some hippie eastern swami.
I just cannot get my head are his teams performance in that first half on Saturday and his record in the big away games in the league. The City 'performance' was a great example of a 'insipid' and I have to sadly say 'defeatist performance'. Everybody just shrugged and offered this seasons mantra used by all teams 'what did you expect, it was City!'

I agree no need to go ape brick on the touch line but when you are out animated by Roy Hodgson you need to turn up/on the enthusiasm switch.

Last edited:
"The Book" we will park that little tome. I could not care less his reasonings behind this or that he's our football manager, not some hippie eastern swami.
I just cannot get my head are his teams performance in that first half on Saturday and his record in the big away games in the league. The City 'performance' was a great example of a 'insipid' and I have to sadly say 'defeatist performance'. Everybody just shrugged and offered this seasons mantra used by all teams 'what did you expect, it was City!'

I agree no need to go ape brick on the touch line but when you are out animated by Roy Hodgson you need to turn up/on the enthusiasm switch.
Interesting.... Would you swap Poch for Hodgson?

Spot on Mr. H.

'It would mean nothing for me to win the League Cup or the FA Cup even though they are important. For me, the principal reason I am here is to try to challenge for the Premier League and the Champions League, to compete in the best competition in the world.'

And those that think those sorts of comments don't communicate themselves to the players (at least sub-consciously) are in dreamland.

If the players go out and start slowly or show a lack of conviction from the off, then this points to an issue that should have been addressed prior to kickoff. Jumping up and down on the sidelines really does not help. At that point it's already too late.

It is never too late ... until the final whistle has blown. The manager has many options open to him during a game - he can change formation, tactics, subs - to name but three. He can also encourage, cajole or instruct certain players in what he wants.

You seem to give Poch a free pass once the whistle has blown. His job doesn't stop there. Indeed, in-game management is often key to success. Like you, Poch doesn't seem to grasp this yet.

Klopp has won 7 major honours in Germany.

Poch has won ...... er

While over-gesticulation is not to be necessarily welcomed, a little bit more enthusiasm from Poch encouraging, cajoling and assisting his players would be.
In a two horse race.

How's he done since he got here? I'd say it's very clear that his teams are massively lacking in situational, positional and general tactical education.

In a two horse race.

How's he done since he got here? I'd say it's very clear that his teams are massively lacking in situational, positional and general tactical education.

A winner is a winner - no matter how much you try and demean him. As much as I admire Poch, he is not without his faults.

If I had one criticism of poch and his team, it's that we are too nice. The team spirit is all well and good, but after displays like the first half on Saturday we need some one booting some arses

A quick look on google says we won the second most points from losing positions in the 16/17 season - would suggest our in game managment is better than it looks from the armchair
I agree, although there is a need to be wary of cause/causality there.

It might be that we are the most likely of the top teams to concede early and therefore have more opportunity.

It is never too late ... until the final whistle has blown. The manager has many options open to him during a game - he can change formation, tactics, subs - to name but three. He can also encourage, cajole or instruct certain players in what he wants.

You seem to give Poch a free pass once the whistle has blown. His job doesn't stop there. Indeed, in-game management is often key to success. Like you, Poch doesn't seem to grasp this yet.
I probably wasn't that clear in my point but I never mentioned changing tactic, subs, etc. Obviously you can change the game in many ways, but in my own experience half-time is the first time where you can get any sort of motivational message across. When the match is already on ranting and shouting does little to change things. One or two players might hear it but nothing more than that. My point was that if the team start slowly it this is a symptom of what happened in the lead up, the mindset instilled in the dressing room before hand.

And less of the personal comments thanks.

Back