• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Mauricio Pochettino - Sacked

We can moan about the players not turning up, but when the manager puts out a side with absolutely no creativity can you blame them. We had a midfield with 3 fairly negative players and not a single player in the side who could actually string things together. Yes, we struggle without Eriksen, but we would've done better today had we had a balanced side out.
I think (and I could be wrong here) that the midfield was supposed to be a diamond with Kane at the tip of it as a number 10. I would rather have seen Ali there and Kane played up top as the number 9.

I used to watch the Sunday Supplement, but since ditching Sky cant say Ive missed it at all.

It really depended on who was on. If I saw Patrick Barclay, for example, Id switch it off immediately.

The people on there, most often, have entirely clear ego, bias and agenda. And they dont half spout some brick.

The only bits of insight I ever really appreciated from them is when they would speak about interations in press conferences, bits that dont make the papers.

Otherwise I saw very little to qualify all the crap they come out with.
Thought for one dreaded moment you were about to say Patrick Barclay was the exception. But you are spot on, he epitomises all the most nauseating characteristics of most journos that participate, obliging the viewer to switch off or change channels instantly.

Re: Poch’s selection yesterday. I agree that it was probably one creative player too light, but I doubt Poch could foresee the lack of intensity that we would bring to that game.

It looked to me as though Wanyama and Dembele just didn’t want to be out there and I thought that set the trend early on. The two wing backs struggled to get forward and because we were pressed deep in our own half we couldn’t get Kane on the ball in the number 10 position in any good areas of the pitch. Sometimes in those sorts of circumstances I think we should be a little less ‘pure’ and go long from the keeper. The pitch wasn’t conducive to playing good football, so negate their pressing by mixing it up and going long sometimes.

Last edited:
It looks like Pochs hands were tied in the selection, but even so I think he should have done more to get them playing effectively.

High intensity and more direct play, as you say, should have been enough with that team.

It looks like Pochs hands were tied in the selection, but even so I think he should have done more to get them playing effectively.

High intensity and more direct play, as you say, should have been enough with that team.
I disagree with you slightly as Ali could’ve started. However maybe there is a chance that Eriksen’s illness won’t be cleared up by Wednesday so he wanted to protect Ali for that game?

I disagree with you slightly as Ali could’ve started. However maybe there is a chance that Eriksen’s illness won’t be cleared up by Wednesday so he wanted to protect Ali for that game?

Largely my take. With the big games coming up resting some key men is pretty standard practice, isnt it?

Add that to the list of injuries we have, the players not yet fit/needing minutes to find form etc* it seems like by and large he put out the only team he really could.

Same as with last weekend.

I can accept his hands were tied, basically, but the way we played still leaves a lot to be desired and it seems he could have done more to effect that.

*though from what Ive read this didnt exactly work

I think Potch would be making a big mistake if he decided to go to Madrid. Look at Zidane for instance, despite winning the league last season and the Champions League back to back he will most likely be sacked this season for not winning anything. So if Potch goes to Madrid and is unable to unseat Barca from the top he how long will he get. Also, even if wins a major trophy he will probably get sacked the next time he fails to win one just like Zidane at the end of this season and his many predecessors before him.

Even if Potch does eventually leave I would be shocked if he walked out on us before we move into our new stadium.

Re: Poch’s selection yesterday. I agree that it was probably one creative player too light, but I doubt Poch could foresee the lack of intensity that we would bring to that game.

It looked to me as though Wanyama and Dembele just didn’t want to be out there and I thought that set the trend early on. The two wing backs struggled to get forward and because we were pressed deep in our own half we couldn’t get Kane on the ball in the number 10 position in any good areas of the pitch. Sometimes in those sorts of circumstances I think we should be a little less ‘pure’ and go long from the keeper. The pitch wasn’t conducive to playing good football, so negate their pressing by mixing it up and going long sometimes.
I thought we did to try to go long quite a few times. but all too often our longer passes especially first half were painfully dogbrick.

The swirling wind did not help but it was noticeable that Newport put far more effort than us into chasing down lost causes and as a result fully deserved their 1-0 lead at ht.

I thought we did to try to go long quite a few times. but all too often our longer passes especially first half were painfully dogbrick.

The swirling wind did not help but it was noticeable that Newport put far more effort than us into chasing down lost causes and as a result fully deserved their 1-0 lead at ht.
Newport went over the top into the space towards the corners of the pitch and looked for their forwards to chase those balls. Our longer balls forward were played centrally and to our forwards instead of into the space.

Newport went over the top into the space towards the corners of the pitch and looked for their forwards to chase those balls. Our longer balls forward were played centrally and to our forwards instead of into the space.
Agree about Newport's strategy and it worked brilliantly for them most of the time but first half some of our longer passes were also played - mostly down the right flank - for forwards to run onto. But practically every one of them was so badly overhit, it was deeply embarrassing.

I remember KWP playing a ball into the channel for Llorente, and Llorente showed about 50% of the speed required to run the channels. Incredibly slow.

Poch has said that in the first half we lacked fight, spirit, motivation and desire. My big question to him would have been " if you saw that was the case, why weren't you up off your seat cajoling, exhorting, encouraging and berating them" That is what the best coaches do.

Poch has said that in the first half we lacked fight, spirit, motivation and desire. My big question to him would have been " if you saw that was the case, why weren't you up off your seat cajoling, exhorting, encouraging and berating them" That is what the best coaches do.
I disagree. Ancelotti, Zidane, come on. If pointy-shouty is the way, then let’s appoint Robbie Keane!!!!!

Sitting on my porcelain throne using glory-glory.co.uk mobile app

I disagree. Ancelotti, Zidane, come on. If pointy-shouty is the way, then let’s appoint Robbie Keane!!!!!

Sitting on my porcelain throne using glory-glory.co.uk mobile app

I think you are forgetting SAF, Pep, Conté, Klopp and Mourinho. Indeed the only time the great Brian Clough didn't get up to inspire his players was in extra time in the FA cup Final against us - and we know how that ended up !

Also, why did you not prepare the team sufficiently to have fight, spirit, motivation and desire. This is a primary role for you, to ensure the players are absolutely up for it and doing the dirty work. I have to say, Pep had his players absolutely up for the Cardiff game. I wonder how he did it. Bench options pressurising the first team, or something else?

That first half on Saturday was dreadful and it's far from isolated. The starting eleven was odd and they went out half cooked. Now I'm not saying you have to be screaming Lord Klopp on the touchline but a little bit of enthusiasm would not go amiss.

That first half on Saturday was dreadful and it's far from isolated. The starting eleven was odd and they went out half cooked. Now I'm not saying you have to be screaming Lord Klopp on the touchline but a little bit of enthusiasm would not go amiss.
Poch explains in his book why he tries to avoid doing that. Something along the lines of conveying calmness, confidence and belief in the players out there.

This theme often recurs in his comments. Also he has admitted to a tendency in the past to overreact to what is going on on the pitch and has felt that it does not show him in a good light. Therefore maybe he goes too far the other way?

Truth be told in his eyes he probably feels he cannot win either way. :D

Back