• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Mauricio Pochettino - Sacked

I get the feeling he does not trust academy players as much these days.

I know we are a better team then when we turned up but i get the impression he is reluctant to test them as much. Really had hoped to see more of walker-peters this season.

Players like w-p, georgiou and sterling should be out on loan if they are not going to play. The period of Livermore, Townsend, Caulker, Pritchard and Mason added about 30 odd mill to our transfer budget. A few good loans for fringe players can really help.

Also seeing how Pickford had so many loan spells as a young keeper makes me think our young keepers would benefit from some game time even if it was the conference or league 2.

Isn’t it a bit of a myth he trusted the academy players?

Kane/Mason/Onamah (sort of)/KWP (sort of) and Winks

Been an occasional showing now and then I’m dead rubbers/last few minutes

Kane is 50/50 in that list as was already playing

Not really above average number wise?

Isn’t it a bit of a myth he trusted the academy players?

Kane/Mason/Onamah (sort of)/KWP (sort of) and Winks

Been an occasional showing now and then I’m dead rubbers/last few minutes

Kane is 50/50 in that list as was already playing

Not really above average number wise?

Have argued this point in the past myself

Players signing late has a big part as well.

The first half of the season is so stop start with the three international breaks/European football stopping any real training time.

As you said Its what kills us every year - we tend to go a few unbeaten but they are mostly draws.

Thats the thing, its not like we do badly - we just dont quite get the results we should.

Look at Utd this year, we should have had a point (at least) and instead got 0 thanks to a route 1 goal we would normally deal with 99 times in 100.

Not aimed at me....

But the only way I can see them interested in him is if they really are thinking about bringing players through rather than spunking money.

Till he wins something I don’t think he will be heading to the Real/PSG types and if he does he will be on the back foot from the off.

Thats my take. Madrid demand instant success and have virtually no patience. Pochettinos method is something of a slow burn. They just dont gel for me.

Of course, its Madrid, and many a sane man has gone mad once they have lifted their skirt, but I honestly think it would be a bad move for Pochettino.

Particularly coming from the situation where he is. Title challenging side int he prem, best facilities, soon to be best stadium, and almost complete autonomy. He has more power here than he would at Madrid, and his job is bomb proof.

Not aimed at me....

But the only way I can see them interested in him is if they really are thinking about bringing players through rather than spunking money.

Till he wins something I don’t think he will be heading to the Real/PSG types and if he does he will be on the back foot from the off.

Your input is always welcome.
I hope you are correct. But I think Real can be very impulsive when desperate, which I think they are.
Ancelotti is available who would be safe pair of hands.

Your input is always welcome.
I hope you are correct. But I think Real can be very impulsive when desperate, which I think they are.
Ancelotti is available who would be safe pair of hands.

I just don’t think it’s a good fit, as I don’t think Alli and Real is - Mopo would be better off waiting for PSG if he had to go to one of the super clubs where he has history

Ancelotti is going to make this summer very interesting as will Conte leaving.

If Arsenal has any sense they would have already tapped up Ancelotti.

Thats my take. Madrid demand instant success and have virtually no patience. Pochettinos method is something of a slow burn. They just dont gel for me.

Of course, its Madrid, and many a sane man has gone mad once they have lifted their skirt, but I honestly think it would be a bad move for Pochettino.

Particularly coming from the situation where he is. Title challenging side int he prem, best facilities, soon to be best stadium, and almost complete autonomy. He has more power here than he would at Madrid, and his job is bomb proof.

That is my fear!
I agree it would be bad move for Poch. Though he does not cut a happy bunny pose ATM

I think he is as annoyed as our transfer dealings as we are.
It's all guesswork I know. The Madrid club are a bit of a loose cannon in this mood.
Could easily unsettle Mou :D just because they can. Even though they hated him!

on transfers- anybody would feel grumpy seeing the Man U. pantomime!

Its odd, United seem desperate to appease him and stop him leaving for PSG/Madrid in the Summer despite seeming to not like him at all!
I'm guessing it's purely because he knows how to win trophies, nothing else. United had three miserable seasons after Fergie left so maybe they're desperate to avoid getting in another dud. Who else could they get in that comes with such a CV? Not too many have won more than him.

I think he is as annoyed as our transfer dealings as we are.

I dont know if I would say "annoyed" or "frustrated".

Of course, we will never know.

I just think there is a case for perception.

Its annoying that we dont go the extra mile to get in the player to make a difference. Its annoying we dont get business done early.

or

Its frustrating that it is so difficult to get in the players we need, given we need top level players without top level resources.

Fair point. I think Poch has done remarkable things with us, and could do so at a bigger club - given time - but I think its fair to question whether he has earnt that chance at this point.

Fair point. I think Poch has done remarkable things with us, and could do so at a bigger club - given time - but I think its fair to question whether he has earnt that chance at this point.

Yeah, I'm not knocking Poch. Zidane didn't have a managerial track record I suppose, but he's a club legend at Madrid. Aside him, they seem to go for coaches with proven, winning records, especially over the last decade, when Barca have been so good. After Zidane, you'd think they'd want someone proven, but who knows?

I dont know if I would say "annoyed" or "frustrated".

Of course, we will never know.

I just think there is a case for perception.

Its annoying that we dont go the extra mile to get in the player to make a difference. Its annoying we dont get business done early.

or

Its frustrating that it is so difficult to get in the players we need, given we need top level players without top level resources.
It may be that Poch is simply being diplomatic, who knows, but he consistently argues that he'd much rather develop players from within than bring in big money signings. He also says that January is never really a good time to bring in new players.

Yeah, I'm not knocking Poch. Zidane didn't have a managerial track record I suppose, but he's a club legend at Madrid. Aside him, they seem to go for coaches with proven, winning records, especially over the last decade, when Barca have been so good. After Zidane, you'd think they'd want someone proven, but who knows?

As you mention it, Zidane is the most Poch-like manager they have had. In that he has been trying to develop youth more than buying ready made. He has introduced a number of exciting players. I dont watch Madrid enough to know for sure, but I wonder if there is an argument to say their indifferent form is a result of his bringing these players in?

Which could well be another tick against Poch for them, proving they dont have the patience for that sort of team building.

It may be that Poch is simply being diplomatic, who knows, but he consistently argues that he'd much rather develop players from within than bring in big money signings. He also says that January is never really a good time to bring in new players.

I certainly think he is very diplomatic, and that diplomacy was a big plus from Levys point of view. I also think Poch was brought in specifically on the basis he works on developing players. Its the clubs MO, and his, and so far its working.

I tend to try and take him at his word so far, Ive seen little reason to doubt his words past face value at this point.

Unlike others whom I didnt believe at all!

I never really specify "academy players", in my mind its more "young players".

Be that academy or bought.

And it gets forgotten, as if Poch has reinvented the club - but we have been doing it since long before he arrived.

Its one of the aspects of the club I am really proud of.

As to how successful he is? I think pretty good actually. Kane has become a world star under him. Alli is class for his age. Eriksen was always good but has become instrumental. Winks has come into the squad as a proper first team player. Mason did previously before moving on. Dier is top class IMO. KWP is on his way in. Theres more...

We did it with Bale and Modric etc in the past, but IMO we have really upped the scale of "production" now. If you look at a 3 year cycle you are going to end up seeing pretty steady development of players and players being given chances IMO.

Back