• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Mauricio Pochettino - Sacked

I agree we don't have all the facts about illness e.g. maybe Lamela and Son were a bit ill in the last game.
I agree Poch apparently makes lots of tactical switches during each game, but I must miss most of them / he must communicate them via semaphore.

I don't agree Poch is 'getting minutes into players' in some detailed, subtle, sports science way. I think he flogs certain players game after game after game because they are our best players, and he swaps others here and there, but I don't see a masterplan with Eriksen/ Kane/ Alli rested etc.

Also, there have been lots of games where we are 3-0 or 4-0 up and he chose not to get some game time into fringe players or youth players, flogging the same players until 85 minutes.

Do you agree that our form and when we come into it under Poch is as good as predictable? Do you agree there is a difference is average points gained in first half seasons under Poch vs second half? If you can agree to it, why do you think it would be? I’m pretty sure he is using some detailed, subtle sports science.

He knows exactly what the limits of every player is. His whole philosophy stems from it. And at the end of the last two seasons when people have been worried Kane has played too much football, WC with England etc, he’s actually become a Messi/Ronaldo level monster towards the end of seasons, when conventional wisdom (and the old Poch team criticism) was that he should be knackered and stuttering to a stop. It is not coincidence.

He doesn’t get minutes into fringe players but he has said that he works the players who aren’t playing (including ones who are injured) way harder than the ones that are able to play. But I think part of our advantage will come from the fact that we have our key players able to continue pressing and continuing to play high tempo right into the end of halves when other teams will flag. These players that are flogged as you put it are more often than not absolutely destroying teams as we come down to the business end of the season.

I’d add Dembele to the list of motors that need to be kept running. We played him against Barnsley this season when he was in the midst of an inconsistent run of playing, loads of niggling injuries and admitting that his foot is always going to hurt him. People would be forgiven for thinking ‘why risk him in a pointless game’ but it was so important to
get minutes into him.

Sadly I think he is certainly approaching the end of his regular starting time with us.

Do you agree that our form and when we come into it under Poch is as good as predictable? Do you agree there is a difference is average points gained in first half seasons under Poch vs second half? If you can agree to it, why do you think it would be? I’m pretty sure he is using some detailed, subtle sports science.
He works the players who aren’t playing (including ones who are injured) way harder than the ones that are able to play.
Yes, yes, yes. Poch works players very hard... but if it was Harry Redknapp we would say he is just working them hard, but with Poch it becomes 'subtle sports science' via Jesus Perez... I'm not sure when "working everyone very hard" becomes different from just "working everyone very hard"... is it sports science or do we just push players very hard?

Yes, yes, yes. Poch works players very hard... but if it was Harry Redknapp we would say he is just working them hard, but with Poch it becomes 'subtle sports science' via Jesus Perez... I'm not sure when "working everyone very hard" becomes different from just "working everyone very hard"... is it sports science or do we just push players very hard?

I'm not talking about merely working them hard, I'm talking about controlling their condition so that they peak in a predictable fashion. Redknapp gave us some great moments, but he was not a sports science guy, we went hell for leather and then our form tended to fall off a cliff with him. At the very least, it wasn't predictable.

I definitely think there is something to it, we seem to consistently find our stride from around Christmas, just as other teams start to falter.

I would say there is a definite gearing to being fit through the season and finishing strong.

Im not sure there is a deliberate ploy to having us stronger in the second half though. I think in a lot of ways we just seem to get unlucky runs in the begging of the season, results not reflecting performances kind of thing.

Put it this way, if we got off to a good start, won 5 of 6 or something, I think we would win the league.

I definitely think there is something to it, we seem to consistently find our stride from around Christmas, just as other teams start to falter.

I would say there is a definite gearing to being fit through the season and finishing strong.

Im not sure there is a deliberate ploy to having us stronger in the second half though. I think in a lot of ways we just seem to get unlucky runs in the begging of the season, results not reflecting performances kind of thing.

Put it this way, if we got off to a good start, won 5 of 6 or something, I think we would win the league.

Our transfer policy doesn't always help signing players so late. I believe the Premier League have agreed to close the window before the season starts so even if we don't sign players and they don't get a pre season with the club, they will be getting a slight head start compared to what they usually get when we sign them in late August.

Our transfer policy doesn't always help signing players so late. I believe the Premier League have agreed to close the window before the season starts so even if we don't sign players and they don't get a pre season with the club, they will be getting a slight head start compared to what they usually get when we sign them in late August.
Now, If we could them to start the league in September when harry starts scoring then we'd be a shoe in for the title.

I'm not talking about merely working them hard, I'm talking about controlling their condition so that they peak in a predictable fashion. Redknapp gave us some great moments, but he was not a sports science guy, we went hell for leather and then our form tended to fall off a cliff with him. At the very least, it wasn't predictable.
I have some insight into the depth of the science that goes into the analysing and monitoring of every member of the squad. It's extensive and no stone is left unturned.

Poch loves physiological data but has also combined that with the emotional and psychological wellbeing of players as well.

I get the feeling he does not trust academy players as much these days.

I know we are a better team then when we turned up but i get the impression he is reluctant to test them as much. Really had hoped to see more of walker-peters this season.

Players like w-p, georgiou and sterling should be out on loan if they are not going to play. The period of Livermore, Townsend, Caulker, Pritchard and Mason added about 30 odd mill to our transfer budget. A few good loans for fringe players can really help.

Also seeing how Pickford had so many loan spells as a young keeper makes me think our young keepers would benefit from some game time even if it was the conference or league 2.

I get the feeling he does not trust academy players as much these days.

I know we are a better team then when we turned up but i get the impression he is reluctant to test them as much. Really had hoped to see more of walker-peters this season.

Players like w-p, georgiou and sterling should be out on loan if they are not going to play. The period of Livermore, Townsend, Caulker, Pritchard and Mason added about 30 odd mill to our transfer budget. A few good loans for fringe players can really help.

Also seeing how Pickford had so many loan spells as a young keeper makes me think our young keepers would benefit from some game time even if it was the conference or league 2.

In Poch's press conference last week, he said with reference to the academy players :
If you were seven out of 10 four years ago, you were going to have the possibility to play. But now we have said to them that they need to be an eight, or an eight and half. That is more demanding for them."

As we are competing and challenging higher,so the bar is being set higher. It does seem that it is going to be much, much harder for our young players to break through.

The increased pressure to win some sort of trophy this season could mean that whilst the likes of Foyth and KWP may still get a look-in at Newport Poch will feel obliged to field much stronger sides in the later rounds - assuming we get through - especially if we draw one of the bigger clubs away from home.

In Poch's press conference last week, he said with reference to the academy players :
If you were seven out of 10 four years ago, you were going to have the possibility to play. But now we have said to them that they need to be an eight, or an eight and half. That is more demanding for them."

As we are competing and challenging higher,so the bar is being set higher. It does seem that it is going to be much, much harder for our young players to break through.

That was my take. And even so, KWP and Foyth have made starts this year, the young striker came on one game (Sterling?).

My pessimism radar is pinging away this morning.
Madrid look like they will be wanting a manager replacement in the very near future.
Pochettino will be high on the list with a big bonus of 'maybe' a route through to Harry.

Players signing late has a big part as well.

The first half of the season is so stop start with the three international breaks/European football stopping any real training time.

As you said Its what kills us every year - we tend to go a few unbeaten but they are mostly draws.

Can't say that I enjoy organised parties!
I find them a bit of a chore!

What's your view on Real and Pochettino?

Not aimed at me....

But the only way I can see them interested in him is if they really are thinking about bringing players through rather than spunking money.

Till he wins something I don’t think he will be heading to the Real/PSG types and if he does he will be on the back foot from the off.

Back