• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Mauricio Pochettino - Sacked

It's one of those things that because it's there and out in the open and different to the norm people can put blame on it - same as when the double training sessions were talked about a lot and our intense pre season training etc - they were the cause of our woes not so long ago.

Remember we also beat Madrid and Dortmund since the book, and Palace. The home games have followed a similar trend all season, including before the book. We lost tough games to Arsenal and Man United away, and this was dissapointing but on the balance of chances, unlucky.

I really hope this run is nothing to do with the book.

How can a book make players tired
How can a book make referees make mistakes
How can a book make two opposition players score their best goals for over a year

The book is duck all to do with our performances

It’s mainly due to not playing as well as we can and not taking chances ....

Unless Hugo was reading the book today whilst playing ..

http://www.espn.co.uk/football/tott...in-loss-to-leicester-city-mauricio-pochettino

By Dan Kilpatrick -

Mauricio Pochettino accused his Tottenham players of lacking fight in Tuesday's 2-1 defeat at Leicester in the Premier League.

Leicester duo Jamie Vardy and Riyad Mahrez scored brilliant first-half goals before Harry Kane halved the deficit late on to leave Spurs with four points from their last five league games.

"They were more aggressive than us. We need to learn and fight from the first minute," the Spurs manager said after the match. "If you don't fight in the Premier League the quality gap is even.

"You cannot afford no fight. You cannot win games. If you don't compete in the Premier League you are going to struggle.

"It's difficult to analyse the game. We start so sloppy. The performance in first half disappointed us a lot. First you must compete and fight and be focused and then quality will appear.

"Leicester showed more than us today. Ready to fight in the first half. Even if the game was open and we had chances to score and stay in the game we were poor and this is disappointing and frustrating. It's difficult to know why. Not about tactics or systems or selections. It's about the collective. The collective performance was so poor.

"Second half we competed, we fight, and in the end the game finished 2-2 or 2-3 we deserved it. We weren't clinical in front of the goal. We had easy chances to score."

Erik Lamela came off the bench for his first appearance in 13 months and assisted Kane with his third touch.

"Erik has different qualities and it's helpful for the future to have him back," was all Pochettino said of the Argentine winger.

But another substitute, Fernando Llorente, missed from two yards at 2-1 and Pochettino admitted the Spaniard's confidence is low.

"Of course, he needs to build confidence. It was a chance to score, so clear but we need to accept that. We need to be calm and trust and work hard and be ready for the next game," Pochettino said.

Good.

That quote above is why I love Poch. Same as Fergusons United teams always worked hard, I feel some of our players allowed the Madrid win to go to their head. Is different but sort of the same, back when I worked as trade on building sites I knew everyday I had to do a certain amount of work to a certain standard or I would not get anymore work.

Poch has the problem of millionaire players and trying to motivate them when they have their feet up, think it might get harder closer to the world cup when some players try not to get injured.

http://www.espn.co.uk/football/tott...in-loss-to-leicester-city-mauricio-pochettino

By Dan Kilpatrick -

Mauricio Pochettino accused his Tottenham players of lacking fight in Tuesday's 2-1 defeat at Leicester in the Premier League.

Leicester duo Jamie Vardy and Riyad Mahrez scored brilliant first-half goals before Harry Kane halved the deficit late on to leave Spurs with four points from their last five league games.

"They were more aggressive than us. We need to learn and fight from the first minute," the Spurs manager said after the match. "If you don't fight in the Premier League the quality gap is even.

"You cannot afford no fight. You cannot win games. If you don't compete in the Premier League you are going to struggle.

"It's difficult to analyse the game. We start so sloppy. The performance in first half disappointed us a lot. First you must compete and fight and be focused and then quality will appear.

"Leicester showed more than us today. Ready to fight in the first half. Even if the game was open and we had chances to score and stay in the game we were poor and this is disappointing and frustrating. It's difficult to know why. Not about tactics or systems or selections. It's about the collective. The collective performance was so poor.

"Second half we competed, we fight, and in the end the game finished 2-2 or 2-3 we deserved it. We weren't clinical in front of the goal. We had easy chances to score."

Erik Lamela came off the bench for his first appearance in 13 months and assisted Kane with his third touch.

"Erik has different qualities and it's helpful for the future to have him back," was all Pochettino said of the Argentine winger.

But another substitute, Fernando Llorente, missed from two yards at 2-1 and Pochettino admitted the Spaniard's confidence is low.

"Of course, he needs to build confidence. It was a chance to score, so clear but we need to accept that. We need to be calm and trust and work hard and be ready for the next game," Pochettino said.

Good.

Surprised at Poch, because on balance of chances created he could quite easily make the case that we deserved to win, and leave that as the headline. He says it, but he clearly wants the headline to be that he has torn into the players. It does show that something isn't right with the players' heads. He can see it. It's happening too much now too.

Surprised at Poch, because on balance of chances created he could quite easily make the case that we deserved to win, and leave that as the headline. He says it, but he clearly wants the headline to be that he has torn into the players. It does show that something isn't right with the players' heads. He can see it. It's happening too much now too.

Whilst I agree that we done enough to get something out of the game i also can see the need to dress down the team as we are currently playing well below the standards we have set for ourselves these past couple of seasons

Whilst I agree that we done enough to get something out of the game i also can see the need to dress down the team as we are currently playing well below the standards we have set for ourselves these past couple of seasons

Agreed - I was surprised at Poch but I don't disagree with him at all. If he's identified the issue, he knows better than us what is going on in the players' heads. I was only surprised because, maybe naively, I believed that the players wouldn't let their own standards slip, but it seems like they have,

Agreed. Some first half performances that have left us chasing games we shouldn't be chasing late in the second half.

We've been a bit unlucky, but even with luck and getting the right results there would have been reasons to be upset about those first half performances.

I think Pochettino has to shoulder some of the blame. I think he's gotten it wrong on rotation and some team selections. Playing Sissoko over Son is getting on my nerves.

But the players need to take their part of the responsibility too.

Agreed. Some first half performances that have left us chasing games we shouldn't be chasing late in the second half.

We've been a bit unlucky, but even with luck and getting the right results there would have been reasons to be upset about those first half performances.

I think Pochettino has to shoulder some of the blame. I think he's gotten it wrong on rotation and some team selections. Playing Sissoko over Son is getting on my nerves.

But the players need to take their part of the responsibility too.
It's a real mystery. Son takes on players and beats them, creates goals, scores goals as well as skying chances. Sissoko takes on players and loses possession, misplaces passes and mostly misses goal-scoring chances.

What's going on Poch?

It's a real mystery. Son takes on players and beats them, creates goals, scores goals as well as skying chances. Sissoko takes on players and loses possession, misplaces passes and mostly misses goal-scoring chances.

What's going on Poch?

I’m not for one second saying Sissoko was good last night, his passing was way off and he fluffed a good chance, but I can completely see why he was played instead of Son. Otherwise that leaves us with only Dembele as a midfielder. Or Dele plus Dembele. Or Dele plus Dembele plus Eriksen. Either way, it’s clear Sissoko was in there for some strength and discipline.

There is an argument though that Son could
be played ahead of Dele, but I think Dele looked like he was working hard at least second half last night.

I’m not for one second saying Sissoko was good last night, his passing was way off and he fluffed a good chance, but I can completely see why he was played instead of Son. Otherwise that leaves us with only Dembele as a midfielder. Or Dele plus Dembele. Or Dele plus Dembele plus Eriksen. Either way, it’s clear Sissoko was in there for some strength and discipline.

be played ahead of Dele, but I think Dele looked like he was working hard at least second half last night.
Exactly what I was saying in Sissoko thread, apparently some dreaming that because Lamela is back no more Sissoko. Need to wait for return of Wanyama and Winks for that Im afraid....

I get what your saying, Sissoko is more of a CM, but I'd still argue the trade off is worth it. I'd play both Dele and Son but play Dele deeper because he not only has the engine he also seems to prefer it and has more chance of catching defenders unawares with his blindside runs into the box.

There again this is hopefully academic now that Lamela's back in the frame.

I wouldn't be playing Dele deeper atm because he seems to taking too long on the ball and getting caught in possession a lot, as we saw at the weekend in deeper positions that can be damaging.

With our injuries Sissoko in the middle is kind of forced on us really if we want to play 3 at the back - might be worth going back to 4231 and playing Dier in CM

I wouldn't be playing Dele deeper atm because he seems to taking too long on the ball and getting caught in possession a lot, as we saw at the weekend in deeper positions that can be damaging.

With our injuries Sissoko in the middle is kind of forced on us really if we want to play 3 at the back - might be worth going back to 4231 and playing Dier in CM

Yeah...I think we need to abandon 3atb to be honest. I respect Poch saying it isn't about systems when the players aren't fighting and there is some truth to that, but I think 3atb was great when we were trying to get all of Dier, Toby, Jan, Wanyama and Dembele into the team. And it was great when 3atb was a formation that we were one of the first to use regularly after Chelsea and get that advantage. Now even a laggard like Wenger is using it, Toby is out, Dier hasn't proved he can be a leader at the back and keeps losing concentration, and Wanyama's absence leaves a gaping hole in our midfield.

Back to 4-2-3-1, or 4-3-3 with Dier holding, Son on one wing alongside Kane and fitting the other players around that, could work. Poch always seemed to spot solutions ahead of time, be an innovator and be comfortable taking a risk. 3atb has lost the advantage it once gave us I think, for a bunch of reasons.

Yeah...I think we need to abandon 3atb to be honest. I respect Poch saying it isn't about systems when the players aren't fighting and there is some truth to that, but I think 3atb was great when we were trying to get all of Dier, Toby, Jan, Wanyama and Dembele into the team. And it was great when 3atb was a formation that we were one of the first to use regularly after Chelsea and get that advantage. Now even a laggard like Wenger is using it, Toby is out, Dier hasn't proved he can be a leader at the back and keeps losing concentration, and Wanyama's absence leaves a gaping hole in our midfield.

Back to 4-2-3-1, or 4-3-3 with Dier holding, Son on one wing alongside Kane and fitting the other players around that, could work. Poch always seemed to spot solutions ahead of time, be an innovator and be comfortable taking a risk. 3atb has lost the advantage it once gave us I think, for a bunch of reasons.
Would you return to 3 at the back when Toby is back?

When we're winning, everyone marvels at how different players come and go, and we still play well because of the system. When we play bad, everyone is slagging off a player, slating a formation (ignoring the fact we switch formations throughout a game) or saying stuff like swap X for Y and all will be good. Or better yet, we'll buy our way out of it in January! Yep, all our great players have turned to brick.

It's the collective at the moment that needs addressing, not particular players, everyone looks jaded.
I think the Madrid win came at a cost, we think we're good enough to just turn up and win, but we need to fight for the right to play against anyone.
We also need to go back to what we did best, ball retention. The number of passes that are going astray at the moment is unbelievable for us, I think we're trying too hard to force an opportunity, rather than waiting for a chink in the opposition's armour.

This isn't Poch's fault, but it is his responsibility to correct. I guess we will now find out just how good a manager he is.

Would you return to 3 at the back when Toby is back?

Quite possibly, because Sanchez deserves to be in the team IMO.

I appreciate what Lemonade is saying too, and I'm a big advocate of not chopping and changing too much, and getting the fluency that will see us through. My only thing against that is that we need to be cleverer, we got an advantage last year with a 343 but now most teams in the league have figured that out. The change and disruption and cycle of tactics and formations going in and out of vogue has rapidly accelerated and I don't think the initial rationale for 343 is there anymore. It worked when every team was playing 4-2-3-1, most teams had figured out how to shut us down and stop us building from the back, and we needed a way to confuse them again. Now, most teams know how to stop us building in a 3-4-3.

I also think key injuries and probably some players not being as bought in to the culture as they were before also playing a part. Because if one, two or three players aren't pressing hard, it doesn't matter how good everyone else plays, gaps are going to appear.

How can a book make players tired
How can a book make referees make mistakes
How can a book make two opposition players score their best goals for over a year

The book is duck all to do with our performances

It’s mainly due to not playing as well as we can and not taking chances ....

Unless Hugo was reading the book today whilst playing ..
Well we've got four points out of 15 since that book was published. Its a legitimate question to ask.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/fo.../Spurs-slumped-Pochettino-book-published.html

Back