• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Mauricio Pochettino - Sacked

This was exactly my point when referencing Danny's Rose, what he said wasn't particularly controversial and what we already knew but he got absolutely slaughtered for it and I knew because it's Poch everyone is going to be more forgiving and find excuses for it and spin it positively. Specifically to this Poch book for those who don't think it's a negative, I can't agree but even if that was the case there's not really a way in which it's of benefit so I still fail to see the point of doing it now....
I don't disagree mate. To be fair I wasn't terribly bothered by Danny Rose's comments. Hopefully though these comments will not affect his relationship with Eric Dier. a player who I rate highly.

Another example of evolution under Poch today, continued from midweek.

We can just as easily defend deeper and on the break if we need to now, vs only having one gear a couple of seasons back. Even last year we had different formations but still only knew one way to play it. Now we can really mix it up.

Poch must have always wanted to get us here - I am curious why we went so gung ho at Anfield last year when every lower table team was getting a result there playing deeper. But I guess the important thing was, in the evolution of a team, you need to make sure the muscle memory is truly established, and it's something you probably add as seasons go by. So Poch wanted to know we could always press if needed by establishing that as the base strategy, rather than chopping and changing too soon....I am going to assume.

I don't disagree mate. To be fair I wasn't terribly bothered by Danny Rose's comments. Hopefully though these comments will not affect his relationship with Eric Dier. a player who I rate highly.

To be fair he hasn't said anything about Dier that's bad, he's criticising Mourinho for putting him in an awkward spot, and reminding Dier of both his responsibilities as a member of the club and what he needs to do to keep improving.

He is his boss, not his mate, and I'm not sure Dier could argue with anything Poch has been quoted to say. They would have discussed it and cleared the air already - fans knowing the score that Dier is truly back on track is better than still assuming he wants to move to United as some may still do after the rumours in the summer.

To publicly reveal that Dier was having cosy chats with Mourinho, what's that going to achieve? There's a reason why managers don't release these type of books until they're retired. Poch won't get anywhere near the type of grief Danny Rose did, but I don't see how this helps Spurs anymore than what Roses comments did...
It is revealing that Mourinho is trying to tap up Dier and Poch is aware of that. It is another genius move by our genius manager.

It is revealing that Mourinho is trying to tap up Dier and Poch is aware of that. It is another genius move by our genius manager.

It is quite funny - I think every other top manager has tried to get as Poch in one way or other through the PR game this year and Poch has slapped them back every time. It must make them wonder whether it's worth the bother.

Conte was talking openly about Kane so Poch made our Morata didn't come to Spurs as he knew he couldn't lace Kane's boots. Poch says it in such a graceful way that it's difficult to clap back at him for it - he shuts the argument down but has the last word. Then the Pep 'Kane team' comment has been shut down with a slap back of Poch's own, and this from Mourinho, I'd like to think Poch knows exactly what he is doing. Mourinho may think he wields some power in the game but Poch is telling him he absolutely knows his game and it isn't going to work. The PR game may be nothing, and there's an argument to say getting involved at all merely adds to the circus. But the clever thing with Poch is that when he is engaged, he has this ability to shut it down and have the last word and allow the players to keep on with their jobs.

I'd like to think this Kyle Walker thing is somewhat calculated as well. Poch's utter bemusement that Walker would do what he did 6 weeks before the season ended leaves any of our other players in no doubt what is required. Maybe some players that are mates with Walker may think 'dingdong move Poch', but he isn't their mate, again he is their boss. And they are playing the best football of their careers because of him, so they need to toe the line.

In fact I wonder if this whole book is somewhat Poch's idea to continue the cult of personality around him, around really establishing his rules, him being the guy at the club. A power play against the players almost. I have no idea - maybe it's nothing - but it's bloody interesting and he clearly puts a lot of stock in people trusting and buying into him.

I think it's refreshing that a manager can speak openly, might stop players behaving like prats if they realise the fans will find out about their attitudes. I've been going to Spurs since 1957 and I've seen some good sides but Poch has created the second best team I've seen in that time. We should do everything we can to keep him.

Last edited:
A longer piece from last weekend where he talks about Bielsa, getting Harry Kane into shape, Alli, Chelsea and quotes from the players as well.

And this bit from Levy:

We haven’t really discussed the money that is available. It’s not a secret, it will eventually be between Mauricio and me. We wouldn’t go public on it.

Mauricio is very aware that firstly we have a huge capital project [Tottenham’s new stadium] that we’re embarking upon. For two seasons we have been competing for the title, but it’s unlikely that we can improve our starting XI without spending a huge sum of money and actually I don’t think that either I or Mauricio want to be in that model.

It’s a huge responsibility. We’re a big club but it’s run as a proper club, we are self-sufficient. If we make a £60million investment in a player, that means somebody else is going to be affected in our starting XI and, if we make a mistake, it’s very costly. If you look at some stats, particularly for the 2016–17 season — the best defensive record, scored more goals than any other team, best goal difference in our history, youngest squad in the Premier League — you realise we can only aim to improve the squad overall.

I have always said to him that I want him to be a partner, that when he signed a contract for five years — which was a massive commitment for the club — it was on the basis that we were really going to commit to each other.

I want Mauricio to be the Sir Alex Ferguson of Tottenham Hotspur and he has the most fantastic opportunity to be that. I have confidence that he can do it. We’re so aligned in where we want to be.

I’d be surprised if there wasn’t interest in Mauricio from other clubs because it means we are doing well. He’s never given me any indication that he’d like to leave. He loves the project and he once sent me a picture of Bill Nicholson — our most famous manager from years ago — holding the fronts of the gates of the stadium. They are very historic gates and we’re keeping them at the new stadium. I replied, ‘One day it is going to be you,’ because that really is what I aspire to.

I would love nothing more than Mauricio still to be our manager in 10 to 15 years’ time. To really build success you need time, longevity. It’s easy to go and become a manager at Real Madrid, for instance. It’s a fantastic club, don’t get me wrong, but winning at Tottenham Hotspur is far greater than winning at Real Madrid — and he agrees.

Mauricio wants this sense of achievement, this recognition, to be the main guy. And at this club, he can be the main guy.

At some other clubs, the president is the main guy but that’s not how it is here. I’m so low key, I want him to be the main guy. Him. Sometimes it’s nice to be given something when you are not expecting it, like the Bentley I gave him as a sign of appreciation.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/fo...2/Tottenham-boss-Pochettino-Kane-warrior.html
Also shows that Levy is sticking around for awhile longer yet.

458E361E00000578-0-image-a-209_1508619595005.jpg

Letter in Football 365 this morning - wonder which player this was if true?

Some final thoughts on Kane and money
Couple of quick thoughts on Johnny’s Nic’s article about Spurs.

I happen to be friends with an ex-pro who spent many years in the Premier League with a couple of different clubs. Well-known player but I’ll obviously demur from IDing him.

We were talking a couple of weeks ago about how great Spurs look at the moment, and how amazing it is considering net spend, wage bill, etc. This friend of mine was back in London at the beginning of the summer and bumped into one of Spurs’ starting eleven out in town. They talked and, apparently, this Spurs player said that a number of the young Englishmen at the club openly accept that Spurs cannot afford to hold onto the core of this team for more than another season or so. This conversation happened before the Kyle Walker transfer was confirmed, and before Danny Rose started making noises.

I love Johnny Nicholson, and the romantic in me would love to see Kane stay at Spurs for a long time (and I’m not even a Spurs fan) but I think the reality is different, and two-fold.

Firstly, football is a job to these guys not a passion project. Careers are short and can be ended in a split second due to injury. Of course most of us could comfortably live out the rest of our lives after banking £100k/week for a few seasons but pay satisfaction is not absolute, it’s relative. It is human nature to look at peers in your chosen field earning more than you and lust for parity or better (we all do it). No way Kane stays at Spurs when he sees Utd, City, Real, etc. paying similar/inferior players more money than he can realistically command at Spurs.

Secondly, if the Spurs player I mentioned above is correct, then none of them are going to want to be the last of this great Spurs generation still at the club before looking for higher-paying homes. Kane’s value (and that of Alli, Dier, etc.) will rise and fall with the fortunes of the club. If Spurs struggle to hold onto Pochettino (which history suggests they will) then the relative value of the playing staff will decline as Spurs’ league performance invariably suffers.

I’m amazed that Walker was the only starting player to leave Spurs last summer but I’m betting we’ll see a lot more through that door in the next summer window.

It’s a shame because, even as a jealous Liverpool fan, what Spurs have built under Pochettino over the past couple of years is, I think, one of the more incredible stories of the Premier League era.
Matt, LA

We simply must start paying more money to keep this squad together once we're in the new stadium. There's not then any justification to claim that we aren't as big as the other clubs. I'm convinced that the core of our squad must know that which is why they are sticking around - we must have made the pitch to them.

I'm assuming it isn't about cash in the bank, but about cash flow so that we can still be a sustainable concern, and with a sell out 60k stadium we are surely going to go up a level in our wages?

I happen to be friends with an ex-pro who spent many years in the Premier League with a couple of different clubs. Well-known player but I’ll obviously demur from IDing him.

We were talking a couple of weeks ago about how great Spurs look at the moment, and how amazing it is considering net spend, wage bill, etc. This friend of mine was back in London at the beginning of the summer and bumped into one of Spurs’ starting eleven out in town. They talked and, apparently, this Spurs player said that a number of the young Englishmen at the club openly accept that Spurs cannot afford to hold onto the core of this team for more than another season or so. This conversation happened before the Kyle Walker transfer was confirmed, and before Danny Rose started making noises.

I love Johnny Nicholson, and the romantic in me would love to see Kane stay at Spurs for a long time (and I’m not even a Spurs fan) but I think the reality is different, and two-fold.

Firstly, football is a job to these guys not a passion project. Careers are short and can be ended in a split second due to injury. Of course most of us could comfortably live out the rest of our lives after banking £100k/week for a few seasons but pay satisfaction is not absolute, it’s relative. It is human nature to look at peers in your chosen field earning more than you and lust for parity or better (we all do it). No way Kane stays at Spurs when he sees Utd, City, Real, etc. paying similar/inferior players more money than he can realistically command at Spurs.

Secondly, if the Spurs player I mentioned above is correct, then none of them are going to want to be the last of this great Spurs generation still at the club before looking for higher-paying homes. Kane’s value (and that of Alli, Dier, etc.) will rise and fall with the fortunes of the club. If Spurs struggle to hold onto Pochettino (which history suggests they will) then the relative value of the playing staff will decline as Spurs’ league performance invariably suffers.

I’m amazed that Walker was the only starting player to leave Spurs last summer but I’m betting we’ll see a lot more through that door in the next summer window.

It’s a shame because, even as a jealous Liverpool fan, what Spurs have built under Pochettino over the past couple of years is, I think, one of the more incredible stories of the Premier League era.
Matt, LA

We simply must start paying more money to keep this squad together once we're in the new stadium. There's not then any justification to claim that we aren't as big as the other clubs. I'm convinced that the core of our squad must know that which is why they are sticking around - we must have made the pitch to them.

I'm assuming it isn't about cash in the bank, but about cash flow so that we can still be a sustainable concern, and with a sell out 60k stadium we are surely going to go up a level in our wages?

The issue is people are judging us based on a very short term view. Don’t forget 3 years again we were no where near to where we are now as a team

And dont forget we were one of the highest payers in the 60s, 70s, 80s and 90s

We will pay more too once we’re at the new ground I’m sure

Just because we’re not there this season it doesn’t mean we won’t be in a couple (and we won’t ever pay oil club wages).

Our key is Poch and Kane, neither of whom I believe will leave. Keep the sweet and players will join

Ultimately there are only a handful of clubs that will pay more than we can pay our top earners so any exodus will be reliant upon those few clubs needing players and thinking it's worth the hassle to prise them away from us rather than pursue other options.

Manchester Clubs, Chelsea, PSG, Real and Barca - can't see City needing any of our players the way they are going atm, we won't sell to Chelsea and Barca don't really seem to be that strong financially for transfer fees. That leaves United PSG and Real - I'd be surprised if any of our players end up.there before we've had a season or two in the new stadium (depending on Rose to United)

Matt, LA

We will sell a player or two every summer and it won't be a problem. Rose and/or Dier are prime candidates next summer to leave. We will be fine.

We will sell a player or two every summer and it won't be a problem. Rose and/or Dier are prime candidates next summer to leave. We will be fine.

Dier is vital to how we play. He is the flexible player we have that allows us to go from 3 to 4 mid game in defence

Back