• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Mauricio Pochettino - Sacked

Having never watched today's game live and only on MOTD you can see a massive problem with our attacking palyers in that they do fudge all defending

For that goal today Davies was completely isolated against two Leicester players, one of whom gambled on the flick I a scored... Whilst Cahdli was still on the half way line doing nothing

If Poch wants to sort out the mess he needs those lazy bastards to put a shift in ... And defend from the front

He also has to address the pace we play at as its predictable and very easy to defend against

Mix it up a bit and have some variety and we will instantly become more threatening and exciting

Having never watched today's game live and only on MOTD you can see a massive problem with our attacking palyers in that they do fudge all defending

For that goal today Davies was completely isolated against two Leicester players, one of whom gambled on the flick I a scored... Whilst Cahdli was still on the half way line doing nothing
The pundits highlighted Chadli as not defending, he was hanging around our half of the pitch not doing much. I think he was playing on the left of the 3 behind Kane at that point? Alli had raced into the Leicester half to pressure the ball... on his own... so Chadli was a lot nearer Davies than Alli was near Walker... but yes they worked it to Davies who had a 2v1 overload. So should Chadli have been at left back at that point too, on the cover? Like Alli should have been ready to cover Walker?
Or should our DM have been covering, or Vertonghen?
It's annoying as Mason got all the way back and a tiny touch on the ball, had he reacted half a second earlier he would have stopped it.

I agree wholeheartedly with you Raziel.

However, despite being a massive Poch critic, I'd like to give him this season and next. Really give him a chance. We've never done that. We're hardly going anywhere between now and getting the new stadium so let's see how he gets on unless relegation is a real possibility of course.

Agree to a point. I am seriously worried we could fall behind the likes of Stoke, Soton and GHod forbid West Ham :eek:

I would take 6th place every season until we move into WHL MK II in a heartbeat and build from there. We HAVE to be competitve and in the top 6 when we move into the new ground otherwise we will struggle to fill it. Hell, even Arsenal don't fill the Emirates every week and they are top 4 certs every season.

I fully accept the belt will need tightening, but Levy also has to weigh up the negatives of being a midtable side so therefore, we do need some more investment just to consolidate our place in the top 6.

Hmm shall we pop along to QPR and see how that worked out for them?
What relevance is that to me talking about him taking over this squad of players? In much the same fashion he took over from Ramos' squad who also had some very good players. He wasn't successful at QPR, but he has improved most clubs he's been at I'm afraid....[/QUOTE]
Yep and he spent money I before he got any consistent improvement. But let's not cover old ground I just can't believe you think Harry is the answer some how.

Agree to a point. I am seriously worried we could fall behind the likes of Stoke, Soton and GHod forbid West Ham :eek:

I would take 6th place every season until we move into WHL MK II in a heartbeat and build from there. We HAVE to be competitve and in the top 6 when we move into the new ground otherwise we will struggle to fill it. Hell, even Ar5ena1 don't fill the Emirates every week and they are top 4 certs every season.

I fully accept the belt will need tightening, but Levy also has to weigh up the negatives of being a midtable side so therefore, we do need some more investment just to consolidate our place in the top 6.
Good post Jurgen exactly my thoughts. Somehow people are still deluding themselves that we are so much better than the teams outside the top 5 when in reality we are right in amongst them.

The pundits highlighted Chadli as not defending, he was hanging around our half of the pitch not doing much. I think he was playing on the left of the 3 behind Kane at that point? Alli had raced into the Leicester half to pressure the ball... on his own... so Chadli was a lot nearer Davies than Alli was near Walker... but yes they worked it to Davies who had a 2v1 overload. So should Chadli have been at left back at that point too, on the cover? Like Alli should have been ready to cover Walker?
It's annoying as Mason got all the way back and a tiny touch on the ball, had he reacted half a second earlier he would have stopped it.

one of those should have been sorted out in pre-season and training

we don't look ready to start this campaign

I'm starting to think that Levy decides the tactics.
Too many similarities with AVB. When the fudge did Southampton play like us?
I jest of course but this is nothing like I expected, in terms of playing style.
I get that we have different players, but a lot of his Southampton team was about organisation and work ethic, not doing the crossbar challenge or Cruyff turns.

Watching MOTD; just the tempo of Bournemouth looks entertaining!

My question is what team plays like Poch's ideal team? i.e. high press, pass out back, inverted wingers, compressed center and is actually successful and worth watching (and please don't answer with a team that has 50M players)?

My concern is under AVB and under Poch we are chasing a holy grail of team/system that is really just a dream, never proven ...

Good post Jurgen exactly my thoughts. Somehow people are still deluding themselves that we are so much better than the teams outside the top 5 when in reality we are right in amongst them.
aside from delusion maybe there's an observed difference between the performance and the potential of the squad.
will i be wrong to say poch hasn't gotten the most out of the bunch that we have today?

Agreed. The stokes, WBAs, West Hams and Evertons of the league will start seeing us as the soft touch team to roll over. Needs sorting, now.

aside from delusion maybe there's an observed difference between the performance and the potential of the squad.
will i be wrong to say poch hasn't gotten the most out of the bunch that we have today?
Mate I get that you have never been a Poch fan. But surely that is one thing you cannot level at Poch. He has brought performances out of Kane, Mason, Rose and now Alli which other managers can only dream of. Kane has gone from a peripheral player to a multimillion pound striker. Chadli and Eriksen last season were in double figures for goals. He is working with one of the youngest teams in the PL and we have failed to strengthen areas that we have serious weaknesses in. Without a doubt there are still major weaknesses in the way the team defend as I have mentioned in the other thread, perhaps it's is proving difficult to get these offensive players to work on their defensive game. I would like to see how we perform when we get in that striker and midfielder we need.

Agreed. The stokes, WBAs, West Hams and Evertons of the league will start seeing us as the soft touch team to roll over. Needs sorting, now.

Two signings over the next two weeks should be enough to get us 5th or 6th

However as I've been saying for a while, our problem is hte 3 behind Kane. None contribute consistently. Eriken is the best but even he regularly goes missing for large parts of games and for a high proportion of games. Lamela is a waste of space, Dembele' goal and assist stats are simply awful and he dwells on the bacll too much, Chadli goes missing like Eriksen and doesnt defend or even work, Townsend is brainless.....

Pritchard needs to be given a go in one of the positions alongside Eriksen and AN Other

My question is what team plays like Poch's ideal team? i.e. high press, pass out back, inverted wingers, compressed center and is actually successful and worth watching (and please don't answer with a team that has 50M players)?

I can think of one, Zenit

it was poor from chadli yesterday for the goal, but it was an incredibly hot day and he had just put a massive shift in for our goal

in that situation someone needs to go down in the centre circle faking cramp or a sub needs to be made or you make a foul straight from the centre, teams are vulnerable after scoring and you need to get the ball dead for as long as possible as soon as possible, even more so in those conditions, again, it's an issue of experience that a young squad needs to learn

Alli was doing a defensive job by pressing and taking away a simple pass option so they had to go long

Chadli was scratching his arse by the looks of it and wasn't doing anything to contribute

That to me is why he will never be top drawer and arguably hood enough long term for Pochs system

Hmm shall we pop along to QPR and see how that worked out for them?
What relevance is that to me talking about him taking over this squad of players? In much the same fashion he took over from Ramos' squad who also had some very good players. He wasn't successful at QPR, but he has improved most clubs he's been at I'm afraid....[/QUOTE]

Are you sure, three different clubs to relegation ( and he would have had four but did a runner with dodgy knees). As for squads of players I would suggest that a better manager then " rent a quote" would have had a squad of players that included Modtic, Bale, King, Vdv etc would have got us higher.

Don't blame Pochettino ! He is just a small-club manager asked to prove his worth at a big club. So far he is still struggling to do that after 1 year. And all his signings so far proves he still have the small-club mentality. Blame it on Levy for not getting an experienced and proven manager with the big-club mentality !

A

Jan had a bad day, but I wonder how many defenders Poch has to rotate through before we figure out it may not be the defenders

Bingo, our CM is weak and offers no protection to our defenders, hence Poch trying to turn Dier into one who can do better then what we have.

Bingo, our CM is weak and offers no protection to our defenders, hence Poch trying to turn Dier into one who can do better then what we have.

I do get the feeling that Pochettino doesn't like a natural defensive midfielder. If not, he would have signed one after spending 1 full year with us.

Don't blame Pochettino ! He is just a small-club manager asked to prove his worth at a big club. So far he is still struggling to do that after 1 year. And all his signings so far proves he still have the small-club mentality. Blame it on Levy for not getting an experienced and proven manager with the big-club mentality !

how does Levy convince said big club mentality manager to join a small club like us?

I do get the feeling that Pochettino doesn't like a natural defensive midfielder. If not, he would have signed one after spending 1 full year with us.

I am not sure that is true to be honest , he had a look to see if the pairing of Mason and Bentaleb could do the job needed ( and I think he was right to do that), however they have failed ( imo) and the fact that he has played Dier there seems to suggest he may think that as well.

I hope he brings one in before the window shuts ( or at least a player who has a defensive mind set) but only time will tell if he is able to.

Back