• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Mauricio Pochettino - Sacked

How am I making it up WHEN POCHETINO CAME OUT AND SAID IT!? He didn't mention a knock, he said he was tired. If it was a knock, what can you do? But tired? fudge off poch.

CMdbtTdWIAAvvNG.jpg

He definitely had a knock.

Pochettino is trying to control media headlines. The last thing the club needs is "Kane injured, Tottenham in crisis". Redknapp would have done this in an attempt to bully Levy into getting him a new striker. Pochettino seems to keep everything in house.

I dont believe a single thing Pochettino says to the media. Remember he went out of his way to avoid talking to them at Southampton.

CMdbtTdWIAAvvNG.jpg

He definitely had a knock.

Pochettino is trying to control media headlines. The last thing the club needs is "Kane injured, Tottenham in crisis". Redknapp would have done this in an attempt to bully Levy into getting him a new striker. Pochettino seems to keep everything in house.

I dont believe a single thing Pochettino says to the media. Remember he went out of his way to avoid talking to them at Southampton.

I mean fair enough if he was lying, but taking him at his word it was an awful decision, he didn't look tired, and ultimately we were lost without him. Let's hope we get a striker sorted this week then, because only have one for the first two games is beyond amateur.

I think that it is apparent to everyone that we certainly need a little more experience in the centre of the park, and I am sure that Poch and Baldini are more than aware of this. This is a young side but it is without leadership on the park, and that needs to be addressed as soon as possible. I see a possibility here to mould some of our academy products in to a very fine team, hopefully one that can challenge the top four with in a couple of years. But it is going to take time, and I feel that we as fans are going to have to accept that we are going to have a bit of a rollercoaster ride this season. I'm on board with that because I see the nucleus of a very good side being formed. I also LOVE the fact that we have local lads and academy players coming through, It's some thing I never thought I would see in the Premiership era and has restored my faith a little bit. Both performances this season haven't been so bad and whilst yesterday was some what irritating that is all it was. On wards and upwards, I'm feeling positive about our future.

Its all emotion mate, we have way too much invested in Spurs and all react different ways ...

- I was actually ok with the Manure draw, that to me was a decently played game against a much stronger team away from home and we were undone by a single individual mistake.
- The stoke game, my legitimate criticism of Poch was the failure to respond quickly in 2nd half and the subs. People claim he did what he could, honestly Bentaleb is a 50/50 call, he's been poor in preseason, poor in first game but has been a significant player for us. Lamela in my opinion is inexcusable because he is often like playing with 10 men, and him and Chadli on pitch at same time when we are try to shore up a game is like playing with 9. Honestly the 2nd miss was not subbing Walker out, on a yellow, under pressure and getting no cover from RM.
- My last criticism was of people who jumped on right after and went, well Levy, open the checkbook, again if we need to open the checkbook to beat Stoke, wtf do we need for a legitimate top 6 side?
Mate you do yourself no favours by belittling the likes of Stoke. I have said it before with the money flowing into the English game the likes of "Stoke" are making some quality signings and have more options on the bench than us particularly in the striker department. Heck WBA have more options up front than us. Yeah I think the board should have got their act together before the start of the season to ensure we had decent cover for Kane otherwise Poch has one hand tied behind his back. Where Poch does have to improve is our naive defending. This won't change by just buying different defenders but good defensive organisation and a bit of savvy in the middle of the park. Perhaps an experienced old head in defensive midfield to help our youngsters?

Mate you do yourself no favours by belittling the likes of Stoke. I have said it before with the money flowing into the English game the likes of "Stoke" are making some quality signings and have more options on the bench than us particularly in the striker department. Heck WBA have more options up front than us. Yeah I think the board should have got their act together before the start of the season to ensure we had decent cover for Kane otherwise Poch has one hand tied behind his back. Where Poch does have to improve is our naive defending. This won't change by just buying different defenders but good defensive organisation and a bit of savvy in the middle of the park. Perhaps an experienced old head in defensive midfield to help our youngsters?

We have enough to beat Stoke, it showed in the first half, not disagreeing that traditionally lower level teams don't have quality these days, and quite often make their own shrewd signings. It's why you need to have your brick together and can't make mistakes where you end up playing with 2 or 3 ineffective players on the pitch.

I'm completely sold on the experienced head, I've said a few times we need this generations Naybet/Davids signing, specifically in midfield. And there is one person on this board who is always making the case for Cambiasso.

We have enough to beat Stoke, it showed in the first half, not disagreeing that traditionally lower level teams don't have quality these days, and quite often make their own shrewd signings. It's why you need to have your **** together and can't make mistakes where you end up playing with 2 or 3 ineffective players on the pitch.

I'm completely sold on the experienced head, I've said a few times we need this generations Naybet/Davids signing, specifically in midfield. And there is one person on this board who is always making the case for Cambiasso.

A decade ago, I agreed. Loved Davids, thought Carrick should've given him half his Man Yoo signing bonus for lessons learnt. Then I liked Parker...but now...now...who do we sign and where do they play? Do you sign Cambiasso and drop Dier? or do you persevere with Dier, who both to the eye and to the stat man is having a pretty big impact on the pitch and will only get better in this role? Do we drop Mason, who was very good on Saturday, or do we drop Bentaleb yet further down the order because he made a mistake at Man Yoo and didn't set the world on fire with his sub appearance at the weekend? Or do we just sign one to knock around and teach the young heads?

I am prepared to give this guy some time to get it right. He has systemically changed some fundamental issues, and is unafraid to call out the ones which remain and need changing fast. I think we need to allow the Bentleys Masons and Diers the chance to fully mature into their prospective roles...

If you don't have the ok ayers available to suit YOUR system... Find a system that works until you have your players

That's how anyone should run a football team or a business or anything that works as a collective

If your the leader and you don't have all the ingredients you want for your "team" you should still do everything you can to mould them into the best team you can

I don't get this line of argument because he does have the players for 4-2-3-1. Everyone at the club has played the system before and no one is being played out of position, with the possible exception of central midfield but the approach he has taken here has been the same as many other managers.

I don't get this line of argument because he does have the players for 4-2-3-1. Everyone at the club has played the system before and no one is being played out of position, with the possible exception of central midfield but the approach he has taken here has been the same as many other managers.

We clearly don't if we only have one striker

We're converting Mason to a midfield role to suit the system and he had never played there

Lamella at Roma was part of a 3 IMO from a 4-3-3 as was erisken

My issue though is we lost Kane and sill tried to play the same way with players who Couldn't do the same role/job.., so we should have moved to a system that would utilise those we had

We clearly don't if we only have one striker

We're converting Mason to a midfield role to suit the system and he had never played there

Lamella at Roma was part of a 3 IMO from a 4-3-3 as was erisken

My issue though is we lost Kane and sill tried to play the same way with players who Couldn't do the same role/job.., so we should have moved to a system that would utilise those we had

I'm not sure what other formation we could adopt to compensate for currently only having one striker.

Would you have preferred to have seen Capoue or Paulinho in central midfield to Mason last season?

Poch isn't inflexible, he is a pragmatist. He settled on a side that he thought had the best chance of being successful.

In what way? Bearing in mind every successful manager will play the same formation and tactics almost every week, because consistency is the only way of building a good side.

Agreed on playing the same formation and tactics almost every week. However tactical changes are required in response to different situations that may arise. The biggest difference I can recall from him is switching from one attacker to two attackers.

I mean fair enough if he was lying, but taking him at his word it was an awful decision, he didn't look tired, and ultimately we were lost without him. Let's hope we get a striker sorted this week then, because only have one for the first two games is beyond amateur.

I thought he had looked a bit leggy at times, tbh. At any rate, I saw him feeling his calf just before he was subbed, so I knew it was either a knock or a pull or something. I don't think there's any need whatever for Pochettino to 'send a message' to Levy, Redknapp stylee, though. There'll obviously be discussion and depending on the seriousness of Kane's condition, they may have to focus on trying to expedite the deal for Berahino, or whoever it is. Of course, whether it actually happens any quicker will depend on what the hold-up is at the moment. If it is Levy playing his end-of-window game of chicken, then you'd think we ought to hear good news sooner rather than later. If not, who knows? It's a concern, but the real problem, as always, is the fact of the transfer window extending into the season like this. It's another subtle way in which the richer teams are further advantaged, to my way of thinking.

Last edited:
A decade ago, I agreed. Loved Davids, thought Carrick should've given him half his Man Yoo signing bonus for lessons learnt. Then I liked Parker...but now...now...who do we sign and where do they play? Do you sign Cambiasso and drop Dier? or do you persevere with Dier, who both to the eye and to the stat man is having a pretty big impact on the pitch and will only get better in this role? Do we drop Mason, who was very good on Saturday, or do we drop Bentaleb yet further down the order because he made a mistake at Man Yoo and didn't set the world on fire with his sub appearance at the weekend? Or do we just sign one to knock around and teach the young heads?

I am prepared to give this guy some time to get it right. He has systemically changed some fundamental issues, and is unafraid to call out the ones which remain and need changing fast. I think we need to allow the Bentleys Masons and Diers the chance to fully mature into their prospective roles...

I've been saying his use of Dier in midfield is probably a sign that we're looking to sign a more ready-made player for the role, but maybe I'm wrong — maybe Dier is the new Graham Roberts. If so, let's hope he keeps his teeth, at least.

I've been saying his use of Dier in midfield is probably a sign that we're looking to sign a more ready-made player for the role, but maybe I'm wrong — maybe Dier is the new Graham Roberts. If so, let's hope he keeps his teeth, at least.

Dier in CM doesnt look like a long-term solution at all - I agree thtat its shows that we're looking to sign someone more experienced for that position, however that Poch realises that he needs someone in there protection the back 4 more.

Beyond Sept, it wouldnt surprise me if we ended up playing 4-3-3 in a number of games along the lines of:

----- Mason ------ New DM ------- Bentaleb/Eriksen

------Nigel -----------Kane ----------Berahino

I think its a system which our players are better suited to and there's flexibility there with Berahino being able to take Kane's position and Chadli moving into the LW role, Lamela I think is better suited to this system and he's nearer the CF and has more freedom, Mason is a good at supporting the forwards and this gives him more scope. I think the important thing with formation is getting the balance right in midfield with one holding CM, one creater (Bentaleb or Eriksen) and one who can get up with the forwards regularly and look to get 10-15 goals per year (which Mason or Alli are ideal for)

One of the things wrong with todays game is there are too many fans who ( because of football manager and the like) think they know better then guys who have actually done the jobs for years. There is nothing wrong in saying that such and such a player is playing poorly and even rating the player poor, however there are so many who try and say we are using wrong formations, that player does not fit in with our formation, we should change it to this formation. etc etc.

We are fans and we will always moan but to listen to some you would think that they have done the job and won numerous trophys, they probably have on their puters though its a pity ( for them) that football in the REAL world is so much harder.

One of the things wrong with todays game is there are too many fans who ( because of football manager and the like) think they know better then guys who have actually done the jobs for years. There is nothing wrong in saying that such and such a player is playing poorly and even rating the player poor, however there are so many who try and say we are using wrong formations, that player does not fit in with our formation, we should change it to this formation. etc etc.

We are fans and we will always moan but to listen to some you would think that they have done the job and won numerous trophys, they probably have on their puters though its a pity ( for them) that football in the REAL world is so much harder.

how long before a football club employs a football manager genius

after all, if a simple translator can go on to be one of the most successful managers ever, and a DVD analyser/tea boy can win trophies and manage some top clubs, then anything is possible;)

There are a lot of idiots on the internet that think they know better than the professionals.

...but, there are a lot of very very stupid people employed in senior posititions at football clubs. Often based around completely irrelevant skill sets like how good they were as a player, or their charisma. Analysing football and understanding what the team needs is a very specific ability - and I've seen plenty of managers at Spurs and other clubs that clearly don't spot things any better than the average mug fan

It's very easy to fall into the habit of making your post sound as if you know it all. For most of us it's just our opinion and an effort to stimulate discussion, take it as anything else at your peril.
Having said that every forum has their I know best idiots.

Back