• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Mauricio Pochettino - Sacked

Dembele and Stambouli have only played as a pair in two games (Brighton and Asteras). I did not see anything in those two performances to make me think they're going to solve anything. We all know what kind of player Dembele is and he's not going to suddenly change, but Stambouli at least deserves a chance to prove himself in the league.

IMO we've seen a consistently low level of performance, akin to the end of the Ramos era, start/end of the Santini era/end of the Hoddle era, where we just look rudderless and clueless.

My thoughts too. The next 3 league games will show whether Poch is really a good manager, who can keep it simple, motivate the players and bring results back, or someone who will retreat into his shell like AVB, and eventually be relieved to be put out of his misery. I hope to goodness that it is the first, otherwise the second half of the season will be a repeat of when Pleat took over from Hoddle. We needed a Mabizela wonder goal at Leicester away that season....

IMO we've seen a consistently low level of performance, akin to the end of the Ramos era, start/end of the Santini era/end of the Hoddle era, where we just look rudderless and clueless.

My thoughts too. The next 3 league games will show whether Poch is really a good manager, who can keep it simple, motivate the players and bring results back, or someone who will retreat into his shell like AVB, and eventually be relieved to be put out of his misery. I hope to goodness that it is the first, otherwise the second half of the season will be a repeat of when Pleat took over from Hoddle. We needed a Mabizela wonder goal at Leicester away that season....

I'm thinking we may look at Benteke's red card as a saving grace come the end of the season. I'd shudder to think of how things would have looked if we got the result our performance deserved v Villa

Apologies if it has already been posted but I think it's an interesting read

http://andrewgaffney.wordpress.com/2014/11/10/pochettino-in-england-they-undervalue-local-players/

Pochettino: In England they undervalue young, English players.

Mauricio Pochettino already finds himself under pressure after a far from ideal start. While Tottenham look set to once again qualify for the later stages of the Europa League, their league form has been inconsistent to say the least. His style of football is known for its high-pressing and possession football yet there has been little of that to see at White Hart Lane so far. However, he spoke to ‘El Pais’ yesterday, prior to the game against Stoke City, where he said, “This is football. I love it.”

Why are you so well-liked in the Premier League?

(Poch) That’s the first I’ve heard that! No, I don’t know. I imagine it’s because they respect the way we were a breath of fresh air at Southampton. And not only because we played well, but because we brought a different style and tactics (to the league). That, and we believed in the talent of our English players.

Do they undervalue the quality of English players (in England)?

Absolutely. We believe more in them than they do themselves. It’s the same as what happened in Spain 20 years ago; when I arrived at Espanyol, they valued me higher because I was a foreigner. And here, they undervalue English players. You only need to trust them and show them our way of playing.

Does it clash with the fans when you make such radical changes?

No. Nowadays, with the level of information widely available, and because football is global, everyone believes they should practice how they feel they need to, or because of the culture around them. But there are distinctive coaches, like Brendan Rodgers, who offer another type of football. Here, (in England) you can play in various different styles and systems. And while it’s true that there still is an element of ‘seven-eleven’ (long ball to the wingers so they can cross for the striker in the area) football, English players are also capable of learning whichever other style they are shown.

Is the Premier League a refined taste?

It’s true that a lot of academies teach their youngsters to play from the back, so ‘seven-eleven’ has been left behind at the monet. But you can’t go against their culture. Amongst other things, because English football has unrivalled passion and that is ahead of everything else. A corner or a throw-in is cheered like a goal and that drives you forward. You can’t lose that. Nor the honesty in the game they have.

But when you were a player, you said preferred those ‘intelligent’ players (who won freekicks or penalties with a dive).

Well, I’ve changed my way of thinking. Football is for smart, intelligent people without the need to overreact. At the end of the day you play to outmaneuver; outsmart the opposition. But we need to avoid cheating. I prefer ‘smart’ players.

And why is English football so passionate?

For the culture, for what they’ve inherited from their families and because they wait to see their team play on a Sunday. It’s the opportunity to see them (play). It isn’t like in Spain, where you can see your team train every day of the week.

Inside that English culture, there is beer drinking. Has it been difficult to change the habits of some of your players?

It’s true that they like to have a beer but since I’ve been here, I’ve not had any problems. They are very professional. Although I’m not a policeman either (I don’t investigate everything they do). They have their night outs (like everybody) but they are always responsible and respectful of the contract they signed with the club.

You aren’t a policeman, but are you a sargent?

Hold on. We come from a place where we love to train. And we had double sessions, which isn’t common here. Their mentality isn’t like that. You need to treat them correctly. We should improve their level of ‘suffering’. English players are very intense and they need to improve their resistance and suffering (no pain, no gain) to extend that aggression for longer periods of the game. But we are changing that.

Does the phrase, ‘suffer in training so you don’t suffer in a game’ hold true?

Yes, because they understand they do this to enjoy playing more.

But are they scared (of stronger training methods)?

When we were at Southampton, they (the media) talked about how hard the training sessions were. But I told them we weren’t crazy. You need to also realise that sometimes life can be too comfortable for a footballer. I told them as a former player, and because I believe you get out what you put in, you need to work harder. But I hope they aren’t scared. Instead, it should be respect (the methods), as that’s the most difficult to earn. And I think we have that because they knew they would grow with us. It’s our task, to get better contracts, to grow, so in the end we’re happier. And for them all methods (to achieve those goals) are good. I’m always different. Sometimes tough, other times distant, other times caring. And the group should know, very clearly, how to behave. You can’t ever become a friend of a player because that’s a very strong word. But the player should give everything he has. And that is what we want, because you can’t ask for them to give more than they possibly can.

And among those players, is there as much hierarchy as we are lead to believe in the dressing rooms (in English football)?

Maybe 20 years ago as the veteran of the squad was given a lot of power by the coach and the club. The youngsters suffered because of that. Now everything is a lot more normal. But it’s nice to keep some traditions; I love to see the under-21 players, like Shaw or Lallana, cleaning the boots of the first team after training with them. These moments mark a player. It’s the humility, the respect and the ambition that one day someone will clean my boots. In Spain, for example, you tell a 17-year-old lad to do that and he’d reply, “Me? But I’m a professional and I’m sponsored by different brands and have an agent.”

Another tradition, in England, is having a meeting with the rival manager after the game. How are you finding that?

When you lose it’s difficult. Honestly, I decide not to (have a meeting) most of the time. I always use an excuse like I need to do interviews or a press conference. Although if I’m up against a friend like Roberto Martinez or Mourinho, I’ll go. But with those I don’t really know, it doesn’t really matter if I go or not. I’m not very friendly after games. Not even when we’ve won.

What is the objective at Tottenham?

To teach my philosophy and give the youngsters a chance. We have the best training facilities in Europe and we need to get the maximum out of them.

But your team currently finds itself in the middle of the table.

Here, (at Tottenham,) the fans aren’t expecting to win the title in 5 years, which could have happened a few years ago. With the increase of owners from outside of European football, the manager isn’t only a manager any more.

Do you think about returning to Spain?

When they lower the taxes, maybe? But no, seriously, in football, as Jorge Griffa (former coach at Newell’s) said, it can take you anywhere. You can’t control it. Who would have told you that 20 months after leaving Espanyol I’d be the first team coach at Tottenham?

Probably been posted already, but we have a new Managerial candidate:

Spurs fan, Dave offers to give Spurs team talk

Duration: 01:57

Spurs fan, Dave called Kelly Cates and Ian Wright on 606 to complain about the lack of effort showed by the Tottenham team after their 2-1 loss to Saudi Sportswashing Machine.

Dave was so angry he offered his services to their manager, Mauricio Pochettino in giving a team talk to the team before the next game.

Available since: Mon 27 Oct 2014

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p029h96j

We come from a place where we love to train. And we had double sessions, which isn’t common here. Their mentality isn’t like that. You need to treat them correctly. We should improve their level of ‘suffering’. English players are very intense and they need to improve their resistance and suffering (no pain, no gain) to extend that aggression for longer periods of the game. But we are changing that.

Interesting, but not exactly surprising.

We could put out this team:

........................Adebayor
...Lamela................................Lennon
.........................Eriksen

...............Dembele.....Mason

Davies...Vertonghen...Fazio...Naughton

How much better balanced and stronger does that team look than what we saw v Stoke?

Dembele and Stambouli have only played as a pair in two games (Brighton and Asteras). I did not see anything in those two performances to make me think they're going to solve anything. We all know what kind of player Dembele is and he's not going to suddenly change, but Stambouli at least deserves a chance to prove himself in the league.

I agree, although it's funny, a few people on here have been talking like he's already a failure.

Apologies if it has already been posted but I think it's an interesting read

http://andrewgaffney.wordpress.com/2014/11/10/pochettino-in-england-they-undervalue-local-players/

Pochettino: In England they undervalue young, English players.

Mauricio Pochettino already finds himself under pressure after a far from ideal start. While Tottenham look set to once again qualify for the later stages of the Europa League, their league form has been inconsistent to say the least. His style of football is known for its high-pressing and possession football yet there has been little of that to see at White Hart Lane so far. However, he spoke to ‘El Pais’ yesterday, prior to the game against Stoke City, where he said, “This is football. I love it.”

Why are you so well-liked in the Premier League?

(Poch) That’s the first I’ve heard that! No, I don’t know. I imagine it’s because they respect the way we were a breath of fresh air at Southampton. And not only because we played well, but because we brought a different style and tactics (to the league). That, and we believed in the talent of our English players.

Do they undervalue the quality of English players (in England)?

Absolutely. We believe more in them than they do themselves. It’s the same as what happened in Spain 20 years ago; when I arrived at Espanyol, they valued me higher because I was a foreigner. And here, they undervalue English players. You only need to trust them and show them our way of playing.

Does it clash with the fans when you make such radical changes?

No. Nowadays, with the level of information widely available, and because football is global, everyone believes they should practice how they feel they need to, or because of the culture around them. But there are distinctive coaches, like Brendan Rodgers, who offer another type of football. Here, (in England) you can play in various different styles and systems. And while it’s true that there still is an element of ‘seven-eleven’ (long ball to the wingers so they can cross for the striker in the area) football, English players are also capable of learning whichever other style they are shown.

Is the Premier League a refined taste?

It’s true that a lot of academies teach their youngsters to play from the back, so ‘seven-eleven’ has been left behind at the monet. But you can’t go against their culture. Amongst other things, because English football has unrivalled passion and that is ahead of everything else. A corner or a throw-in is cheered like a goal and that drives you forward. You can’t lose that. Nor the honesty in the game they have.

But when you were a player, you said preferred those ‘intelligent’ players (who won freekicks or penalties with a dive).

Well, I’ve changed my way of thinking. Football is for smart, intelligent people without the need to overreact. At the end of the day you play to outmaneuver; outsmart the opposition. But we need to avoid cheating. I prefer ‘smart’ players.

And why is English football so passionate?

For the culture, for what they’ve inherited from their families and because they wait to see their team play on a Sunday. It’s the opportunity to see them (play). It isn’t like in Spain, where you can see your team train every day of the week.

Inside that English culture, there is beer drinking. Has it been difficult to change the habits of some of your players?

It’s true that they like to have a beer but since I’ve been here, I’ve not had any problems. They are very professional. Although I’m not a policeman either (I don’t investigate everything they do). They have their night outs (like everybody) but they are always responsible and respectful of the contract they signed with the club.

You aren’t a policeman, but are you a sargent?

Hold on. We come from a place where we love to train. And we had double sessions, which isn’t common here. Their mentality isn’t like that. You need to treat them correctly. We should improve their level of ‘suffering’. English players are very intense and they need to improve their resistance and suffering (no pain, no gain) to extend that aggression for longer periods of the game. But we are changing that.

Does the phrase, ‘suffer in training so you don’t suffer in a game’ hold true?

Yes, because they understand they do this to enjoy playing more.

But are they scared (of stronger training methods)?

When we were at Southampton, they (the media) talked about how hard the training sessions were. But I told them we weren’t crazy. You need to also realise that sometimes life can be too comfortable for a footballer. I told them as a former player, and because I believe you get out what you put in, you need to work harder. But I hope they aren’t scared. Instead, it should be respect (the methods), as that’s the most difficult to earn. And I think we have that because they knew they would grow with us. It’s our task, to get better contracts, to grow, so in the end we’re happier. And for them all methods (to achieve those goals) are good. I’m always different. Sometimes tough, other times distant, other times caring. And the group should know, very clearly, how to behave. You can’t ever become a friend of a player because that’s a very strong word. But the player should give everything he has. And that is what we want, because you can’t ask for them to give more than they possibly can.

And among those players, is there as much hierarchy as we are lead to believe in the dressing rooms (in English football)?

Maybe 20 years ago as the veteran of the squad was given a lot of power by the coach and the club. The youngsters suffered because of that. Now everything is a lot more normal. But it’s nice to keep some traditions; I love to see the under-21 players, like Shaw or Lallana, cleaning the boots of the first team after training with them. These moments mark a player. It’s the humility, the respect and the ambition that one day someone will clean my boots. In Spain, for example, you tell a 17-year-old lad to do that and he’d reply, “Me? But I’m a professional and I’m sponsored by different brands and have an agent.”

Another tradition, in England, is having a meeting with the rival manager after the game. How are you finding that?

When you lose it’s difficult. Honestly, I decide not to (have a meeting) most of the time. I always use an excuse like I need to do interviews or a press conference. Although if I’m up against a friend like Roberto Martinez or Mourinho, I’ll go. But with those I don’t really know, it doesn’t really matter if I go or not. I’m not very friendly after games. Not even when we’ve won.

What is the objective at Tottenham?

To teach my philosophy and give the youngsters a chance. We have the best training facilities in Europe and we need to get the maximum out of them.

But your team currently finds itself in the middle of the table.

Here, (at Tottenham,) the fans aren’t expecting to win the title in 5 years, which could have happened a few years ago. With the increase of owners from outside of European football, the manager isn’t only a manager any more.

Do you think about returning to Spain?

When they lower the taxes, maybe? But no, seriously, in football, as Jorge Griffa (former coach at Newell’s) said, it can take you anywhere. You can’t control it. Who would have told you that 20 months after leaving Espanyol I’d be the first team coach at Tottenham?

WTF???

He was probably just going through the motions in an interview like they are all trained to do and keeping his thoughts to himself.
He was seen saying "six points from six" warming down the pitch with Dier, Soldado and Stambouli.

Really? Where did you see this? Source??

Okay, here is my opinion/rant/load of *******s depending on your point of view.

Firstly, I have to lay my cards on the table, I was all for Pochettino being our manager. He seemed to tick all the boxes:

*PL experience
*Good record in the transfer market on a budget
*Players seemed to love playing for him
*Played simple attacking football that worked
*Developed and used young players

I thought the early signs were positive. I thought pre-season we looked good. I thought the signings in the summer were unspectacular, but appeared to be addressing the weakest areas of the squad (leadership in defence = Fazio, solid left-back = Davies, defensive cover = Dier). I had no idea about Stambouli but from what i read and saw on YouTube he sounded/looked like a decent acquisition.

This is where things start to just mystify me and things have come to a head with the last few performances, where IMO we've seen a consistently low level of performance, akin to the end of the Ramos era, start/end of the Santini era/end of the Hoddle era, where we just look rudderless and clueless.

The thing for me is that ultimately, football is a simple game. It's complicated by fools. I'm sure that's a quote from someone. Whatever. It's true. I thought Poch played a simple game at Southampton. A good manager looks at what he has and looks at how to get the most out of it. Redknapp did it. Sherwood did it. Jol did it. Our squad is far from ideal, but ultimately, Sherwood showed you could get a remarkably consistent string of results out of it, without even getting the chance to put his own stamp on the squad.

It really wound me up that AVB wouldn't pick the best players in the squad and try and get the most out of them. Instead, we had Ade on the bench, Eriksen in and out the team. Lamela wasn't played, even when he wasn't fit and the whole Lloris not getting picked straight away thing wound me up too.

But Poch is guilty of the same thing. Okay, Rose has done well this season, but he's not a solid defender. Never has been. I thought the whole point of buying Davies was that he offered that solidity in defence we'd been sorely lacking. Our Europa League team looks a lot more solid defensively and partly that is down to the defensive unit just being a bit more tactically aware and solid looking.

Just get him in the team. Similarly to Fazio. Supposedly this is who Poch brought in to provide the kind of organisational skills seen at Sevilla. But he's not in the team. Now we come to Vertonghen. He's our best defender when on form. He's a good footballer. He's not in the team - why? It beggars belief.

I also agree that he's a flawed player, but Dembele is our best midfielder. He works hard, he wins the ball back, shields the defence and is able to hold onto it in tight situations. Stambouli looked very solid next to him, but neither get picked other than in the cup games, where it seems to work, but they're never played in the league.

I like the fact that Mason is playing, but Capoue has shown poor form for quite a few games, and as a pair, Capoue and Mason just do not provide the protection our defence needs!

There are so many decent players not in the team.

Aaron Lennon I think is a great pro and he had a great pre-season under Poch. He looked very dangerous and his work ethic seemed to fit right into Poch's pressing tactics. Yet come the season he's dumped from the squad - why?

Holtby was another that shone in pre-season IMO and seemed well suited to Poch's all-action style. He's also a big character and a good asset in terms of the mentality of the squad - yet he gets bombed out in the summer?

I just don't get these decisions.

When the team line-ups were announced versus Stoke, the team looked so average on paper. I'm all for young players getting a chance, but bunging 3 of them into the starting XI against a tough Stoke outfit when under pressure doesn't smack to me of a manager giving youth a chance, it smacks to me of a manager desperately trying to curry favour with the crowd who are turning against him. We looked so much weaker than we could have been with the likes of Vertonghen, Davies, Dembele, Lamela, Adebayor in the team.

I don't think you can point the finger at Baldini for this mess. Sherwood showed you can get great football out of Eriksen and Adebayor. We've seen the best of Chadli this season and Lamela has shown signs of potential too.

Ultimately, these attacking players need to receive the ball quickly on the transition to be effective. Last season Sherwood set the team up to get the ball quickly into Eriksen and Adebayor. It worked.

As much as people got on Bentaleb's back, he's an intelligent and tenacious young lad who likes to play the simple game. Football is a simple game and its actually a skill to play the quick give and go.

Why's he not being used again? Again i just don't get it.

Poch far from playing the simple game, getting players to feel comfortable and play their natural game, it all feels a bit like AVB where you can almost feel the fact that the players are thinking all the time. Instead of playing a simple, quick pass, it's almost like the players are struggling to remember instructions and over thinking things, playing under pressure.

It's painful to watch.

I really think Poch is over complicating things and over thinking things and it shows out on the pitch.

It's really basic stuff, I play football every week and it's a really simple game, even to set up basic formations and defend as a unit. It's not rocket science.

If you look at Koeman, he's doing a good job at Southampton as he's not tried to change everything. he's obviously said to the players, you had a great season last season, just keep doing what you're doing. He's added some good buys in Tadic and Pelle and the rest is history.

We had a very good win ratio under Sherwood last season, things were not as bad as people made out. It was just an inexperienced team so we came unstuck against the top 4/5 teams, but we beat everyone else fairly comfortably. It honestly just needed tweaking but instead well....we've gone backwards alarmingly fast.

The body language of the players is poor and they're clearly not enjoying things out there. I don't think anyone is!

The thing is that I can't see anyway back from such poor displays. I can't see Poch turning it round. I really want him to, but it does have that bleak look about it and the quotes we are now hearing from Poch seem to suggest he's at a bit of a loss with it all.

An interesting post. However, I think some of what you've written needs to be put into perspective/challenged:

- Davies vs Rose: forgetting reputation, are you saying that what you've seen in Davies' performances thus far in the cups warrants him being played over Rose? I'd say Davies has looked far more shaky, and mostly against lesser opposition. Imo he has further to improve to warrant being chosen ahead of Rose atm

- Fazio: he has played twice in the PL; not been convincing yet so it's understandable that he hasn't been thrown in totally just yet.

- Vertonghen being our best defender "on is day" says a lot, sadly; he is weak and is easily bullied and actually often hides on the ball. How often does he pass the buck of taking the ball out of the back when he is clearly the best equipped to do so? How many times did Dawson and whoever is his partner have to do this instead (or Capoue)? He has now stunk under THREE DIFFERENT MANAGERS so he is nowhere near untouchable. Whether Kaboul should be playing is another matter (mostly madness), but if not for Naugton's injury I think Dier would be playing more at CB.

-Dembele: how many games had he had to show his worth? Too many and from the sounds of it he was absolutely woeful yesterday after he same on. There may be a time and place for Dembele, but DM is NOT it; he'sbeen present in many of our drubbigs in that position. I wont bother with mentioning his blind alleys forays.

- Stambouli: i agree with you that Capoue and Mason (more specifically Capoue) do not provide enough protection to the defence and I'd be worried if Stambouli still doesn't get some gametime in our next PL match; i wonder whether Poch was scared off by his game minutes away vs Sunderland?

- Aaron Lennon?? Are you having a laugh?? When was the last game he beat a man and created a chance?? Apparently he's been a p***head for a while and it seems that lifestyle has now caught him up. I suspect he only wants to "fight for his place" because he is likely due a testimonial next year. Wasted; literally it seems

- Holtby did seem a Poch-like player, but he was also the very example of headless chicken. In the end three consecutive coaches didn't fancy him....

- The team we put out vs Stoke on paper was fine: we had pace in Townsend (who just had one of his is best games vs Asteras, so why not reward him?), we had physicality in Fazio (though perhaps i would have played Dier - they both played 90 mins in EL earlier so if Fazio could have played then Dier could have also imo), an on-form striker in Kane FINALLY getting his full start (giving the people what they wanted), Chadli (our most consistent goal getter in the PL) and Naughton back. I would have changed Capoue as he has been dogcrap for weeks now imo and perhaps i would have played Kane just off Soldado, though that was a toss-up given that we on paper needed Townsend's pace

- Bentaleb is injured; if he wasn't he'd likely be getting some game time right now

- it's been only 11 PL games for Poch; yes we have had somebad results recently but the performances in the last 4/5 PL haven't all been bad: we had the Soton game which wasn't flawless but on balance a deserved win; then we lost vs City and played well in many parts (Soldado's missed penalty really being the turning point, but our attacking play was very good away at the champions as well), the first half vs Saudi Sportswashing Machine was very good (though less said about the second half the better), we were shaky at the back vs Villa but we DID create some good opportunities before the Benteke red (not trying to sugar coat but there were some good signs there as well). Yesterday was poor no question. Think of things like this; how did you feel when we lost AVB's game way at Arsenal 5-2 after Adebayor's Red Card? If we win our next game Poch will have the same record as after AVB's first dozen games (W5 D2 L5). We're NOT in Ramos or Santini realsm just yet!! Poch can easily turn this around. He might have to be more ruthless and become solid and boring for a couple of games though. I just hope if he does this some of us don't start complaining about "not being entertained." Once Poch sorts out our defence the rest will follow imo.

An interesting post. However, I think some of what you've written needs to be put into perspective/challenged:

- Davies vs Rose: forgetting reputation, are you saying that what you've seen in Davies' performances thus far in the cups warrants him being played over Rose? I'd say Davies has looked far more shaky, and mostly against lesser opposition. Imo he has further to improve to warrant being chosen ahead of Rose atm

- Fazio: he has played twice in the PL; not been convincing yet so it's understandable that he hasn't been thrown in totally just yet.

- Vertonghen being our best defender "on is day" says a lot, sadly; he is weak and is easily bullied and actually often hides on the ball. How often does he pass the buck of taking the ball out of the back when he is clearly the best equipped to do so? How many times did Dawson and whoever is his partner have to do this instead (or Capoue)? He has now stunk under THREE DIFFERENT MANAGERS so he is nowhere near untouchable. Whether Kaboul should be playing is another matter (mostly madness), but if not for Naugton's injury I think Dier would be playing more at CB.

-Dembele: how many games had he had to show his worth? Too many and from the sounds of it he was absolutely woeful yesterday after he same on. There may be a time and place for Dembele, but DM is NOT it; he'sbeen present in many of our drubbigs in that position. I wont bother with mentioning his blind alleys forays.

- Stambouli: i agree with you that Capoue and Mason (more specifically Capoue) do not provide enough protection to the defence and I'd be worried if Stambouli still doesn't get some gametime in our next PL match; i wonder whether Poch was scared off by his game minutes away vs Sunderland?

- Aaron Lennon?? Are you having a laugh?? When was the last game he beat a man and created a chance?? Apparently he's been a p***head for a while and it seems that lifestyle has now caught him up. I suspect he only wants to "fight for his place" because he is likely due a testimonial next year. Wasted; literally it seems

- Holtby did seem a Poch-like player, but he was also the very example of headless chicken. In the end three consecutive coaches didn't fancy him....

- The team we put out vs Stoke on paper was fine: we had pace in Townsend (who just had one of his is best games vs Asteras, so why not reward him?), we had physicality in Fazio (though perhaps i would have played Dier - they both played 90 mins in EL earlier so if Fazio could have played then Dier could have also imo), an on-form striker in Kane FINALLY getting his full start (giving the people what they wanted), Chadli (our most consistent goal getter in the PL) and Naughton back. I would have changed Capoue as he has been dogcrap for weeks now imo and perhaps i would have played Kane just off Soldado, though that was a toss-up given that we on paper needed Townsend's pace

- Bentaleb is injured; if he wasn't he'd likely be getting some game time right now

- it's been only 11 PL games for Poch; yes we have had somebad results recently but the performances in the last 4/5 PL haven't all been bad: we had the Soton game which wasn't flawless but on balance a deserved win; then we lost vs City and played well in many parts (Soldado's missed penalty really being the turning point, but our attacking play was very good away at the champions as well), the first half vs Saudi Sportswashing Machine was very good (though less said about the second half the better), we were shaky at the back vs Villa but we DID create some good opportunities before the Benteke red (not trying to sugar coat but there were some good signs there as well). Yesterday was poor no question. Think of things like this; how did you feel when we lost AVB's game way at Arsenal 5-2 after Adebayor's Red Card? If we win our next game Poch will have the same record as after AVB's first dozen games (W5 D2 L5). We're NOT in Ramos or Santini realsm just yet!! Poch can easily turn this around. He might have to be more ruthless and become solid and boring for a couple of games though. I just hope if he does this some of us don't start complaining about "not being entertained." Once Poch sorts out our defence the rest will follow imo.

I really hope you're right.

But honestly when you saying things like Lennon has been a **** head for a while I wonder if you are going to be.

I really hope you're right.

But honestly when you saying things like Lennon has been a **** head for a while I wonder if you are going to be.

Sadly, Lennon hasn't really had a consistent set of good performances since perhaps AVB and Bale's heyday of Feb to March 2013...Townsend offers us more hope than Lennon...and that says a lot

I thought they were very solid in both games and seemed to work well as a pair. Capoue and Mason are a bad fit IMO so I would like the other two given a run.
The 2nd half of the away Asteras game Poch went to a flat 3 in middle with Mason which didn't work at all really, but before that Dembele and Stambouli looked solid if unspectacular and I would settle for that now.

Sadly, Lennon hasn't really had a consistent set of good performances since perhaps AVB and Bale's heyday of Feb to March 2013...Townsend offers us more hope than Lennon...and that says a lot

Not that long ago- I saw enough in pre-season to show Lennon seemed to have a lot to offer under Poch. I just think we lack the blistering pace threat and out ball he undoubtedly ofers

Not that long ago- I saw enough in pre-season to show Lennon seemed to have a lot to offer under Poch. I just think we lack the blistering pace threat and out ball he undoubtedly ofers

I agree, but even this season alone, when has Lennon provided that blistering pace threat? Even when he came on vs Arsenal I thought "great now we can push them back/hit them on the break."
What happened? He became another auxilary LB and hardly got forward. On the surface, you'd think it was to protect Rose, but if you watch closely and look at all the other games he's played, he simply doesn't have the pace/nous anymore.

Sad, but shows what LCIC (and others) have mentioned about his drinking ways being likely true.

He is sadly now past it (in terms of pace and guile going forward at least). I'm sure if he still had that Poch would use him (it's not like the squad is particularly blessed with pace after all...)

Back