• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Mauricio Pochettino - Sacked

Seriously...
Round holes.

Were playing players in positions where they are clearly not comfortable or suited

And if they are suited to the system then there simply not good enough footballers

Poch is insisting on playing a system that doesn't suit the players he has

Any sensible man would accept that and play a system that suits the payers he has whilst trying to buy ones who do suit it medium term

He is actually hanging himself out to dry as the bulk of these looked miles better under a barely competent Sherwood (in some people opinions) and we played attacking football

Currently we play no football to speak of and it's dire

The dressing room is gone IMO. As soon as you are leaving out players that are clearly better than those on the pitch, you know there's issues.

People defending Poch on last weeks OMT....as I pointed out, the problem with giving someone time, is when that person is making wrong decisions, things can and will get worse, he's shown to me he hasn't got the tactics right, looks very AVB. To be fair to Sherwood at least he made specific changes for each game, like a few 442's etc and that led to his 55% PL win record. Yes he made a few errors against the big teams but would have learnt, and at least he saw off most of the teams beneath us. We've already lost at home to West Brom, Saudi Sportswashing Machine, and Stoke. Teams will be queuing up to play us.

I wouldn't mind if we were looking good and had been unlucky, but arguable we're lucky to have the points we have.

My biggest worry is that things are going to get worse before they get better....and worse means 16th 17th and dare I say 18th. The back 4 today looked awful, and with very little cover in front of them...we could easily threaten the drop 'zone'. Does this crop of players look up for the fight? Hmmmm.

Sherwood was brought in and asked to provide goals after the AVB bore fest. He averaged around 2 a game with a superb points return. He had roughly the same crop of players as Poch had available when he started. TS looks like a miracle worker now.

The problem now is....if we were to change things, who could possibly come in and improve the style and the results with this squad?

It's a complete mess......scouts? DOF's? Managers? Who's doing what?

It is a dangerous situation at the moment. Levy knows he has got a reputation for pulling the trigger on his managers. He got some criticism over AVB leaving.
I would say that there's a fair chance when he weighs up bad performances vs sacking manager he may give the manager longer than he might have done two or three managers ago.
And, as a result, the situation may slide further than we expect before we get a new manager.

Looking at what Poch achieved last year vs what AVB/Sherwood achieved last year vs what Koeman is achieving this year and Poch doesn't come out of that comparison too well.
So I don't expect much change from current form - unless there is a big change in personnel, which won't happen until next summer.
or unless Poch changes style/tactics/formation/players in that formation. Which is possible, but unlikely -although he might be forced into it through desperation/injuries.

Which means mid-division finish and Poch sacked after season or a few months into next season.

Seriously...
Round holes.

Were playing players in positions where they are clearly not comfortable or suited

And if they are suited to the system then there simply not good enough footballers

Poch is insisting on playing a system that doesn't suit the players he has

Any sensible man would accept that and play a system that suits the payers he has whilst trying to buy ones who do suit it medium term

He is actually hanging himself out to dry as the bulk of these looked miles better under a barely competent Sherwood (in some people opinions) and we played attacking football

Currently we play no football to speak of and it's dire

I agree with all that 100%. I think there might have been a typo though..

For Poch to get the team playing how he wants we need to radically change the squad physically and mentally with players that suit his needs and tactics

To do that we need to offload players who are quickly losing value through shocking performances playing a system that Poch wants but they don't suit... Does that make sense???

We need to seek before we buy, particularly with players like Poorlinho sitting at home and Chiriches probably down the pub

That's a combined out of £25m with a current market value of £2.50 and a packet of crisps

Him and Baldini need to get in the same page and actually buy players he wants to play (so far this season no new players have got in the league team regularly if at all) and who he wants to sell, and quickly

Why not with verts then? And I'm not one that thinks Ade has been bad... Or at least any worse than anyone else.

Tbf, Verts is possibly looked down on worse then even Ade after last season. Remember rumour has it that most of the squad didn't want him as captain...

Mauricio Pochettino has admitted that he must urgently change the mentality of his Tottenham Hotspur squad after claiming that the players lost their composure once Stoke City went ahead.

Boos rang at around White Hart Lane after what was Tottenham’s fourth defeat in five home games, with Stoke manager Mark Hughes later admitting that he had thought his team could exploit the pressure on their opponents.

Pochettino acknowledged that his players were affected by falling behind and, despite wanting time to implement his ideas, knows that results must quickly improve.

“It’s clear we need to improve a lot,” said Pochettino. “Always in football you need time – there are different methods and philosophy but we need to improve quick. In football you never have a long time, you need to take a result. We need to find a solution very quick and, in the next few weeks, we change our mentality and find a solution. This is my challenge.”

Hughes admitted his team had tried to play on the counter-attack to exploit space behind Tottenham’s full-backs and also the current tension at White Hart Lane. “I just thought we need to be positive and maybe there is a bit of pressure on the players at the moment and we thought if we started positively we could use that to our own ends,” said Hughes.

Asked about the pressure on the Spurs players, Pochettino said: “Maybe it’s true after we concede the first goal we feel this pressure. When you play in our way we want to play, you need to feel confidence on the pitch because it’s important to create space, to have patience in possession of the ball. It’s true when we conceded a goal we start to take rash decisions and feel uncomfortable in possession of the ball.”

Pochettino was adamant, though, that the players do care and understand what he wants. “They know my feelings like I know their feelings,” he said. “We are here for four months, we know the players and the players know me. We feel the same, very disappointed and frustrated and not happy because our performance was not good enough.”

Hughes was delighted by how his players executed his game-plan, despite the loss of Marc Wilson and Phil Bardsley following respective hamstring and groin injuries.

“Spurs are a good team individually,” said Hughes. “Our plan certainly was to use the counter-attack. There were certain areas of the pitch we thought we could exploit. Spurs like to involve their full-backs and get them forward so we thought we could get in behind those full-back areas and express ourselves in those areas.”

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/football/teams/tottenham-hotspur/11220101/Tottenham-Hotspur-manager-Mauricio-Pochettino-says-he-must-changes-players-mentality-following-defeat-to-Stoke.html

The dressing room is gone IMO. As soon as you are leaving out players that are clearly better than those on the pitch, you know there's issues.

People defending Poch on last weeks OMT....as I pointed out, the problem with giving someone time, is when that person is making wrong decisions, things can and will get worse, he's shown to me he hasn't got the tactics right, looks very AVB. To be fair to Sherwood at least he made specific changes for each game, like a few 442's etc and that led to his 55% PL win record. Yes he made a few errors against the big teams but would have learnt, and at least he saw off most of the teams beneath us. We've already lost at home to West Brom, Saudi Sportswashing Machine, and Stoke. Teams will be queuing up to play us.

I wouldn't mind if we were looking good and had been unlucky, but arguable we're lucky to have the points we have.

My biggest worry is that things are going to get worse before they get better....and worse means 16th 17th and dare I say 18th. The back 4 today looked awful, and with very little cover in front of them...we could easily threaten the drop 'zone'. Does this crop of players look up for the fight? Hmmmm.

Sherwood was brought in and asked to provide goals after the AVB bore fest. He averaged around 2 a game with a superb points return. He had roughly the same crop of players as Poch had available when he started. TS looks like a miracle worker now.

The problem now is....if we were to change things, who could possibly come in and improve the style and the results with this squad?

It's a complete mess......scouts? DOF's? Managers? Who's doing what?

very strong assertions ... but its a possible worst case scenario for me that we should be prepared for.

I think a few of the middle teams have strengthened enough to be a problem for a lot of the bigger teams this year (Stoke, Swansea, West Ham etc), but there are still teams who we should comfortably be beating. As with us under TS, the quality eventually shone through and we have to believe it will.

I honestly think that what we have seen is a system that Poch has created to get the best out of both Lamela and Eriksen, by allowing them both to rotate into their favoured #10 spot. It's not happening however and we can tell that by the way Poch has now started dropping Lamela. Right now we need solidity, but it won't come if persist with the same system.

I think a few of the middle teams have strengthened enough to be a problem for a lot of the bigger teams this year (Stoke, Swansea, West Ham etc), but there are still teams who we should comfortably be beating. As with us under TS, the quality eventually shone through and we have to believe it will.

I honestly think that what we have seen is a system that Poch has created to get the best out of both Lamela and Eriksen, by allowing them both to rotate into their favoured #10 spot. It's not happening however and we can tell that by the way Poch has now started dropping Lamela. Right now we need solidity, but it won't come if persist with the same system.

Eriksen perfers playing in central midfield and has been best on the left for us. Lamela has been best on the right.
I wouldnt play either of them in Kane's number 10 position.

Most if not all on here agreed that Poch needed time when given the job. We agreed that this season could be written off as far as top 4 goes.

We are 4 months in and the meltdown has started.

If we finish top half this season I am happy. Poch can slowly rebuild the squad if needed and promote the academy players where he can.

This isn't to say that i am not frightened with how awful we look right now. It is **** poor. But it is way too early to right him off.

If anything Baldini needs sacking for buying players who dont even get in to the side.

Most if not all on here agreed that Poch needed time when given the job. We agreed that this season could be written off as far as top 4 goes.

We are 4 months in and the meltdown has started.

If we finish top half this season I am happy. Poch can slowly rebuild the squad if needed and promote the academy players where he can.

This isn't to say that i am not frightened with how awful we look right now. It is **** poor. But it is way too early to right him off.

If anything Baldini needs sacking for buying players who dont even get in to the side.

I agree - its about understanding the root cause and the root cause is we have so many **** players. Some were in a state of denial last year and this suggesting we have good players - no! we dont. We have overrated ****e. We got rid of players who cared, the likes of Defoe, Dawson etc we should never have let them go. Dawson with Fazio? ****in hell. Defoe may not have been the best but he gave a ****. As did Dawson as did Hudd and even Livermore.

I enjoyed the Redknapp days, but lets not pretend that there weren't plenty of dissenters around complaining about his lack of a game plan/system.

From what I can tell they were mainly those that then championed AVB and now Pochettino.... and also the ones that were desperate for Sherwood to fail.

Tell you what though - Sherwood is looking like an absolute magician now isn't he? He seemed to be able to actually get a performance out of these same players.

Do those defending Poch actually believe that he takes no blame at sll. Do they think that when he was offered the job Levy told him ............

"dont worry if the players cant adapt to your methods, as if so, we will sell them all and buy a whole new squad for you, with players you want who can play the way you want. Dont worry about using your ability to improve the players we do have, no thats no problem at all. You dont have to use your ability to play a system which is best for the squad we have, no, just carry on regardless playing your system with players who are unsuitable for it. Your job as manager doesnt mean you have to improve any of our current players, and in the case of Eriksen, the best player last year, he can go backwards under your managment. Yes thats all fine, we will buy you a whole new squad and give you all the time in the world.................sign here please".

Maybe the difference is, if you're a manager coming into a new group with established egos that you need to get onside, the way to keep them onside as long as possible is to give the experienced players the shirt first. Then, rather than upsetting a senior head and risking that poison spreading throughout the squad, the senior player either plays well enough to keep his shirt, or he plays his way out of the team where he can have no complaints.

As I said, there are way more considerations we need to be making when we don't have all the info. It's a large part of why instant results can't be expected this season.

I don't think it is this.... Who are those senior players? Surely Vertonghen and Lennon would count as such and yet both were sidelined very quickly (wrongly in both cases IMO).

I was prepared to give Pochettino time (and I still am, just about!) However I seriously, seriously worry that we just don't have any gameplan at all.

If we were going out and pressing the opposition and coming unstuck because we're not quite doing it as a team or not quite taking the right defensive positions as we turn the ball over then I would think "OK, we are a work in progress". The problem is that we aren't pressing, not collectively or even individually. We aren't coherent on the ball and we're even less coherent when we don't have the ball. We have gaping gaps behind our fullbacks in every game, we have a huge chasm of space between our midfield and defence every game that even opposition like West Brom and Stoke are finding easy to exploit and we are creating no more than 2 chances a game.

Worst of all players that aren't prepared to bust a gut for us are getting in the team every week (Capoue & Chadli) and this lack of work ethic filters down to the entire team.

I spoke to my Dad last night after the game and he said "If this lot are in the bottom 6 at Christmas then we'll get relegated as there is barely a player in that team with the stomach for a fight and the other teams around us will have plenty of those".

I don't think it's a coincidence that Chelski are pretty good defensively and don't mess about with the back four.

Poch needs to pick an XI and play it week in week out - apart from when we have suspensions!!

For the record I would partner Verts and Dier and build from there..

For the record I would partner Verts and Dier and build from there..

Yep, those would be my pick too. Dier looked good as a CB the couple of games he played there. Fazio is looking more and more like some sort of defender's Raziak, although it's obviously far too early to write him off. He has looked completely out of depth so far though.

Back