• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Mauricio Pochettino - Sacked

Problem for Poch is he is not making the simple choices, to me he has the AVB sickness, so obsessed with system/style he forgets the basics

Captain -> easy, safe choice (no controversy, no worries about player making 11 on form) = Lloris
Defend better -> Naughton - Vert - Dier - Davies, stop the overcommit/suicide FB play
We lack scoring options, against "lesser" teams and at home, opt for two up front (Kane +1)
Play wide players that will play wide.

Sort the midfield -> Mason - Eirksen - Chadli have earned their spot,
Try Stambouli instead of Capoue

Opt for Lennon/Townsend/Lamela as an option when you go 1 up front

In my opinion Vert & Eriksen are smart players, they can see the obvious even more than we can, get to some basics, get the team playing and they will respind.

I agree with nearly all you are saying tonight

Today's pattern of play went as follows;

Fazio/Kaboul get ball

Capoue drops deep and collects ball

Capoue takes 2nd touch

Capoue takes third touch

Capoue takes fourth touch whilst waving his arms in the air because no one moves in front of him

Capoue plays a fairly safe ball to one of the forward players feet to then give the ball away or give it back to Fazio to start the cycle again.

What should be happening is Capoue should be picking the ball up and popping it in one and two touch. There's no movement in front of him but he's still holding onto the ball too long. Knock in a simple ball quickly if nothing's on, then take it back and move it quickly again, this is what helps create the space for players to move into and allow you to play the killer ball.

Just like it was with AVB. To slow, too pedestrian.

Sacking three managers in a year? Only one man could pull that off.

Watford are currently on number four.

Redfearn is in his second spell as caretaker this season at Leeds. They'vr had 3 others this last year.

Carroll is not the solution, he highlights the problem

Carroll/Siggy/Livermore/Hudd/Caulker/etc. all not good enough to be a first choice for Spurs, move to a club where they are the better quality players and yet turn out better performances and their teams are harder to beat, hold their own against top 4 better than Spurs.

To me it just proves we don't have a squad quality issue, we have a coach/leadership problem.

Sherwood wanted to fix it by playing them. He was against spending tons of money importing players who really arent that much better than those here already.

Now, Sherwood might not have been the answer, but he was on to something there.

Come on mate? be serious ..

Captaincy decision
- Kanboul? a player who via injury or form hasn't shown in two years that he is likely to be first choice.
- Vice captain - Ade, again, could make up a less likely candidate if I was trying to **** with people

today
- 1 up front is not a problem, 1 up front with Kane is, Kane has shown he can score, but seems most effective when playing as the 2nd striker. So wait till the kid basically forces your hand to pick him, then play a setup that hasn't worked with him in the past.
- Mason/Capoue doesn't work (arguably Capoue doesn't work), how many ****ing times does Poch need to see that?
- Townsend works on one side in last game, so lets put him on the other
- Fazio/Kaboul with Vert on the bench??
- Take off Eriksen for Dembele?
- We are struggling with loss of possession, poor midfield and you bring on Lamela?

Explain why

- Kaboul/Ade are anywhere near the captaincy
- Kaboul/Fazio/Ade/Dembele/Capoue are anywhere near 1st team in PL
- What is our style/formation?
- Who is going to score?
- Why is the team so unmotivated?

I don't see how giving Poch time changes any of that.

Raziel and Braineclipse, you both make excellent points but I can't decide who I agree with.

Sherwood wanted to fix it by playing them. He was against spending tons of money importing players who really arent that much better than those here already.

Now, Sherwood might not have been the answer, but he was on to something there.

Isn't this fairly similar to what Poch is doing?

He's given game time to Mason and Bentaleb. Townsend is on the pitch more than most fans want him to be I'm guessing. Kane got his first PL start today. Dier is getting games. Rose is playing every game. Of the foreign imports getting game time several are rather young...

As for Carroll I think it would have been too much to expect to give him, Bentaleb and Mason enough game time to properly help them develop at this stage considering they're at least all capable of playing similar positions/roles.

Surely after that game he has to stand in the dressing room and say "who wants the armband? Who's going to lead by example? Who's willing to take this team and drag it with them?" Privately he must take verts, eriksen and Soldado aside and say go out there and prove me wrong, show me you've got it and want to play for this club.

Sitting on my porcelain throne using Fapatalk

Problem for Poch is he is not making the simple choices, to me he has the AVB sickness, so obsessed with system/style he forgets the basics

Captain -> easy, safe choice (no controversy, no worries about player making 11 on form) = Lloris
Defend better -> Naughton - Vert - Dier - Davies, stop the overcommit/suicide FB play
We lack scoring options, against "lesser" teams and at home, opt for two up front (Kane +1)
Play wide players that will play wide.

Sort the midfield -> Mason - Eirksen - Chadli have earned their spot,
Try Stambouli instead of Capoue

Opt for Lennon/Townsend/Lamela as an option when you go 1 up front

In my opinion Vert & Eriksen are smart players, they can see the obvious even more than we can, get to some basics, get the team playing and they will respind.

Does it not say something it you that any coach that tries to really implement any sort of 'system' here gets performance that look beyond painful? If this was the first 'system' type manager I'd be able to see where you're coming from but it's happening again. These men are able to implement systems at other clubs with sometimes inferior players and yet they come here, and it looks utterly awful.

It's not a manager problem. Poch's decisions aren't THAT baffling and all can be explained, it's just you might disagree with them without all the info available to you. Any team that he picks considering our squad should be able to perform much better against Stoke than they did. Slight trivial things like Kane being upfront by himself or the selection of Capoue don't explain how bad we were. The problem runs much deeper.

Carroll is not the solution, he highlights the problem

Carroll/Siggy/Livermore/Hudd/Caulker/etc. all not good enough to be a first choice for Spurs, move to a club where they are the better quality players and yet turn out better performances and their teams are harder to beat, hold their own against top 4 better than Spurs.

To me it just proves we don't have a squad quality issue, we have a coach/leadership problem.

Wrong end of the stick.

All have been better than the people who have replaced them bar maybe soggy and we have lost money.

I am growing fed up of watching this team and would love to sell everyone but that can't happen unfortunately

I think Poch deserves at least the full season, but he's not impressed me so far and really isn't helping himself by some of the tactics and team selections. However, we have a team full of spineless, gutless bottlers so he needs at least a couple more transfer windows to try and rid us of at least some of them and bring in some players hoepfully with a better mentality than the ones we have now.

I don't think he will get this time if we finish below 7th or 8th. I'm not saying we will finish in the bottom half, but this would almost certainly see him fired in my opinion.

Isn't this fairly similar to what Poch is doing?

He's given game time to Mason and Bentaleb. Townsend is on the pitch more than most fans want him to be I'm guessing. Kane got his first PL start today. Dier is getting games. Rose is playing every game. Of the foreign imports getting game time several are rather young...

As for Carroll I think it would have been too much to expect to give him, Bentaleb and Mason enough game time to properly help them develop at this stage considering they're at least all capable of playing similar positions/roles.

Yes, I am glad he is giving these players time. IMO, he should build his team around them, they are more likely to bust a gut for him and do things in the way that he wants them done.

What he did at Southampton. What he did at Espanyol. How highly rated he seems to be amongst people that followed him in Spain. His Bielsa connection. How he handles himself. Some of what's been going on with the team on the pitch.

Don't get me wrong, it looked bad today in the first half, really bad. One of the worst halves of football from us in quite some time. But the problems we're seeing aren't new. We all hoped that Poch would be able to sort it out in a pre-season and a bit, but that hasn't been the case.

Why didn't we get him instead?

AVB was highly rated too. You supported him up until the end too. And you'd probably still be happy if he was still here.

Why can't we be one of those teams where, just for once, the coach and players hit the ground running? Wenger won the double in his first full season, why can't we ever get anything like that? Cursed!

Why can't we be one of those teams where, just for once, the coach and players hit the ground running? Wenger won the double in his first full season, why can't we ever get anything like that? Cursed!

We are cursed .. but you do highlight something.

Times have changed in the PL, 10-15 years ago if you came to the PL and brought tactics/training methodologies/systems, you made an instant and significant impact. It was a naïve league without a lot of top level coaches.

Today is very different, extremely experienced and proven coaches struggle with how competitive every game is.

Yet we still think some unproven coach with the next silver bullet will suddenly transform us into title challengers.

Harry showed a good experienced head who does the simple things right, gets the best out of a squad that is easily the 7th/6th best in league, plus occasional good scout/buy is the route to go.

The most worrying thing for me is that (Mason aside) the players aren't even working hard. Numerous players in our first team simply cannot be bothered to track the opponent's runs. However they're still in the team week in week out. Could you imagine a player failing to track a single run if playing under a manager like Alex Ferguson?

We qualified for CL in Redknapp's first full season...

That first half was as dire as anything in the final days of Glenn's time. It really was that shocking. Can the manager learn from it? I'll be back at the Lane for the Everton game, and we will find out then.

And the good news....I'll also be there for the Partizan game, which I'm sure we will win convincingly :)

Back