• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Mauricio Pochettino - Sacked

Indeed! Wouldnt put it past him, would you?

Raises an interesting question, though perhaps not for this thread. Who next? Tried and tested, or another up and comer like Poch was?
Allegri is only 5 years older than Poch, and we pay the going wage for a top manager now. Not sure Levy would be willing to gamble now the stakes are higher; bit like Poch and trusting youth, the situation has changed.

Allegri is only 5 years older than Poch, and we pay the going wage for a top manager now. Not sure Levy would be willing to gamble now the stakes are higher; bit like Poch and trusting youth, the situation has changed.

I would say much depends on Levy's idea of a "project" going forward.

My assumption would be more of the same, IE buying younger players with potential and developing a team.

That, then, would dictate a coach in the mould of Poch, more than one in mould of (say) Mourinho who prefers established talent.

As I say - probably not the thread for it but an interesting topic none the less.

Football is fine margins. If we had beaten Liverpool then Poch would be the most sought after coach in the world, but we didn’t and people will beat him with the stick of not winning a trophy, rightly or wrongly until he does win something. Personally I think you have to look at the complete picture but if you’re considered to be one of the best coaches in the world I think you have to have had at least some success in terms of league titles or European trophies.

As for Klopp, yes they didn’t win the league ultimately but they achieved a points total that would have won the league in every other season except the last two and they look ready to challenge city again this season. Compare this to us who haven’t finished within even 5 points of 1st place.
But we have made a CL final... something even City havent managed since the mage money investment
In reality it’s all about wins and trophies at the very very top

A decade go we had won a trophy the previous season, so me personally I was bouncing. Though the following season came the old legendary 2 points from 8 games scenario, with an sos to arry...

He’s had plenty of time mate, less than Klopp and look at their improvements and state of identity compared to ours...and yes I factor in he’s been financially backed.

Salary doesn’t matter but whether your leading a team to the fa vase final or ucl final, talking about leaving is wholly inappropriate to me personally.

And yes steff, you have offered up criticism of Poch recently, replying to one of my long winded rants, so fair play to you on that score...

I do at least know you feel he isn’t getting the best out of Kane.

Nigey.
He didn’t have a home stadium for two seasons, one extra to that he was expecting. I happen to think Klopp is a great manager but he has not had the restrictions Poch has had, as you recognized.

Our identity now is that of a regular top 4 club. We were in the CL Final together.

I personally feel this squad has reached its course and we will need to continue refreshing around a core four or so. But I still think Poch has done very very well. With regards to speaking about leaving, I agree.

But as I also said, the nature of his ride are the highs and lows. I am all in wherever it goes.

I honestly dont know. Dont even know if Im right. Its just the way it seems to me.

I look at the team and its just lacking, lacking direction, identity, and dare I say - leadership.

If Steff is right its all down to Poch having an almighty sulk because he didnt get his own way selling players etc. If thats true I find it greatly concerning.

My take, (hope?), is that he is probably exhausted. The last couple of years have been extremely taxing, and he has higher expectation to live up to thanks to his success, and its taken its toll?

Sometimes, when thats the case, all it takes is a little spark to ignite the old fire again.

Perhaps tonight, some young players really impress, and he gets the buzz again...

Either way, this is the first time in 5 years Ive begun to look past the manager. Right now I dont feel like he is doing the job we know he can (and should). My hope is that whatever is going on, he snaps out of it, and gets back on track.

I would expect Levy to have patience, and if Poch were to leave before the seasons out I would expect it to be his decision, to be honest.

So right now, game to game, Im just looking for signs of life...

Indeed! Wouldnt put it past him, would you?

Raises an interesting question, though perhaps not for this thread. Who next? Tried and tested, or another up and comer like Poch was?

In fairness I would agree that fatigue has to be a factor.

In fairness I would agree that fatigue has to be a factor.

Its the only thing that actually makes sense to me. The job is (and must be) exhausting, especially mentally.

The last couple of seasons have been insane and he has done incredible work to get the results he has.

That you keep trying to justify the drop in performance because of transfer windows really bothers me. No doubt its less than ideal, but the idea he would drop the ball so badly because of it is - I think - really rather damning of him. I would have thought he is a better manager than that.

Im not saying he hasnt had his challenges this season, but he has had a better set of fit players to work with, and still made odd decisions.

Aurier completely in the cold, KWP - a natural RB binned off for Sanchez who (as much as I love him) is clearly not a full back...

Persistence with Sissoko when Dier and Skipp are on the bench.

What on earth has Moura done to warrant never getting a proper look in?

Weird selections, shapes, subs... it goes on. Im not saying everything should be rosy, but it should be better IMO than it has been.

And then there is the performance itself, lacking direction, intent etc. All very "meh". Which really there is no excuse for.

I dont know what is going on with him, I really dont, all any of us can do is speculate.

I do think though that he is not fulfilling his responsibility as well as he can. He seems to have his mind elsewhere/on other things. Politics perhaps? Player issues? Transfer business or available budget? Whatever it may be - I really think he should just be focusing on the team.
I agree with most of your comments but Sissoko is better than both Dier and Skipp (who I think desperately needs a decent loan)

Its the only thing that actually makes sense to me. The job is (and must be) exhausting, especially mentally.

The last couple of seasons have been insane and he has done incredible work to get the results he has.

That you keep trying to justify the drop in performance because of transfer windows really bothers me. No doubt its less than ideal, but the idea he would drop the ball so badly because of it is - I think - really rather damning of him. I would have thought he is a better manager than that.
I think our farcical transfer windows in season 2018/19 have a huge part in our decline in form. Teams need to be freshened up with a player or two every year. Competition for places at Spurs has dwindled as opposed to increased year on year over the past three seasons.

I think our farcical transfer windows in season 2018/19 have a huge part in our decline in form. Teams need to be freshened up with a player or two every year. Competition for places at Spurs has dwindled as opposed to increased year on year over the past three seasons.

tickle my balls with a feather.

Will take 2 to 3 seasons to get back up to speed.

Everyone outside of the club has recently been saying that
You need to keep a churn going and players welcome it

You have extracted the most basic, and inaccurate, interpretation of what I have said re: squad and windows, and presented it as something completely different.

Look at his philosophy.
Look at what he Iikes to work with.
Look at the average age he prefers a squad to be.
Look at the level of commitment he likes his players to have.

When I said he was trying to move players on and thus re-energise the group for the last two seasons in this context, I don't think it has anything to do with how "good" he is or not. He got us to top 4 and a CL Final last season despite not getting ANY of his wishes. I disagree it is damning of him to have hoped that contract hold-outs and deadwood had been sorted/sold. In fact, it is to his enormous credit that we continue to achieve what we do despite those things.

Completely agree.

Poch will get the sack soon, Levy can't afford to lose out on CL money (£50m)

Don't think we can afford to get rid of him.

The politics of it is that you have to give him long enough so that everyone is on board with his departure.

I have loved the guy but he does not want to be with us anymore.

This is the thing. Woodward and Perez will want Poch, either he stays here and things get worse/better and they come in in January and derail us or we sack Poch within the next month and let them fight it out for him whilst we get our brick together.

Back