• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Mauricio Pochettino - Sacked

He's gone straight into Sherwood/Redknapp territory with his weird selections

No Vertonghen and Eriksen against Villa
No Vertonghen against Emirates Marketing Project
No Vertonghen and Eriksen against Saudi Sportswashing Machine
Sanchez at right back against Arsenal
Nothing weird against Crystal Palace and its 4-0
Sanchez at right back against Olympiakos
No Eriksen and brings on the rotting corpse of Wanyama for a 'Weekend at Bernie's' style jape against Leicester.

He is not selecting his strongest side.
He is selecting his team based on whatever is happening the lemon scented world of Poch's office.

The only reason I can see for Wanyama playing is he is a good egg and Poch likes him.

No Eriksen and brings on the rotting corpse of Wanyama for a 'Weekend at Bernie's' style jape against Leicester.

He is selecting his team based on whatever is happening the lemon scented world of Poch's office.

The only reason I can see for Wanyama playing is he is a good egg and Poch likes him.

In times of turbulence, keep it simple.

what the fans say will not matter a jot
It will be down to Kane and the senior players in the dressing room!
if they grumble he's toast IMHO

There was a time when everyone believed that if Poch went the top players would walk with him.
Now I'm inclined to entertain the thought that players aren't signing contracts until he's gone.

There was a time when everyone believed that if Poch went the top players would walk with him.
Now I'm inclined to entertain the thought that players aren't signing contracts until he's gone.

You could be right. Particularly with Jan I'd say.

And Harry is clearly getting frustrated at what's going on judging by his comments in the week. This is absolutely not good enough and I'm hearing nothing from the manager that gives me any hope that we're gonna turn this around.

Verts we have no idea what was going on plus we have lost 2 two goal leads with him playing. Eriksen has been in and out of form. Sanchez at right back was a gamble I suspect because aurier has been injury prone and can't play twice in a week. Sanchez was not the reason we drew. Today I had no problems with his selection and we would have won had it not been for a silly VAR decision. Wanyama for me is the only strange one, he should be no where near the first team in big games.

anything could be true
I'm not that disgruntled today as we have been erratic since Xmas or thereabouts and today was not a catastrophe just more of the same!

We won’t panic as a club that’s for sure
Poch has been exceptional hence the high expectations
He himself has called this phase 2 in his development of the team and it will need changes to refresh it
Has to be said only spurs could spend £120 M or whatever and have only one player fit who isn’t fit enough yet... there the kind of things that do kill managers

The main frustration which I have with Poch is that he keeps changing the system. In his time at Spurs, our best formation has been 4-2-3-1, and I dont think its a coincidence that we hammered Palace playing that formation. We dont ever seem to play as well when we play with a 3 man midfield or with a diamond in midfield, yet Poch has been playing it a lot this calendar year. Before 2019, he barely played it, and certainly not in his first 3-4 years at the club. Whether our players are tactically naive, or whatever the reason, they dont seem to play well with it.

Additionally, considering we have 6 players for the '3' (Dele, Son, Eriksen, Lamela, Lo Celso, Moura) I think its a no-brainer that it should be our starting formation, unless we're playing against a genuinely top team and want to change tactics for it. For other games, like today, we should be imposing our game on them. Changing the system means we lack familiarity with team mates will be, and makes us less efficient.

I also dont think he's been helped by the contract situation. The club's finances have obviously been right, which has probably led to the short contract durations, but I think the club could be nailing TA and JV down now and creating some stability. CE wants to leave to play in a different country - fair enough and we've offered him decent deals, but it should be a one-off.

All that said, we now have Southampton, Brighton and Watford coming up and 3 wins from them and we'll have 17 points from 9 games, and things wont look so bad. I still think we'll finish top 4 this season but these slow starts every year are ridiculously frustrating.

The main frustration which I have with Poch is that he keeps changing the system. In his time at Spurs, our best formation has been 4-2-3-1, and I dont think its a coincidence that we hammered Palace playing that formation. We dont ever seem to play as well when we play with a 3 man midfield or with a diamond in midfield, yet Poch has been playing it a lot this calendar year. Before 2019, he barely played it, and certainly not in his first 3-4 years at the club. Whether our players are tactically naive, or whatever the reason, they dont seem to play well with it.

Additionally, considering we have 6 players for the '3' (Dele, Son, Eriksen, Lamela, Lo Celso, Moura) I think its a no-brainer that it should be our starting formation, unless we're playing against a genuinely top team and want to change tactics for it. For other games, like today, we should be imposing our game on them. Changing the system means we lack familiarity with team mates will be, and makes us less efficient.

I also dont think he's been helped by the contract situation. The club's finances have obviously been right, which has probably led to the short contract durations, but I think the club could be nailing TA and JV down now and creating some stability. CE wants to leave to play in a different country - fair enough and we've offered him decent deals, but it should be a one-off.

All that said, we now have Southampton, Brighton and Watford coming up and 3 wins from them and we'll have 17 points from 9 games, and things wont look so bad. I still think we'll finish top 4 this season but these slow starts every year are ridiculously frustrating.
It reminds me of England changing systems and suddenly can’t defend....
4–2-3-1
Although for 70 minutes today the midfield looked balanced as Leicester left so many spaces behind them

We got to the CL final last year, and finished in the top four. I'd say his bad year is better than most managers' best years.

I see what you mean, but it's been a bad 2019, not a bad season - the rot has been here since January 2019. But we've had bad halves of seasons under Poch, and the only reason this feels worse is because they're back to back, and because this 'air raid' tactic of ours leaves us open.

If this persists for a full season, then he's on thin ice for 2020/2021. But not now. Far too early for that, given what he has achieved here and the man he is.
The tactic has to change, it's fudging appalling. The only excuse for it was Sissoko and our inability to replace him. We have a midfield now and he still persists.

Have a look at the xG graph I posted. Performances have been worsening for some time, results caught up around Jan.

We won’t panic as a club that’s for sure
Poch has been exceptional hence the high expectations
He himself has called this phase 2 in his development of the team and it will need changes to refresh it
Has to be said only spurs could spend £120 M or whatever and have only one player fit who isn’t fit enough yet... there the kind of things that do kill managers
As well as impatience.

Back