• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Kyle Walker

Standard learning curve:

37-Learning%2BCurve%2B1.jpg

Getting a particular skill to a level that's acceptable at low level amateur football is a lot easier than refining it to the point where it's good at top level club football. Have a look at some of the players that fail in the PL and frankly look outright ****, down a level or two they can boss games and look outstanding.

Being Norwegian I've seen players look outright silky in the Norwegian league only to fall through completely with the higher tempo of the PL. The limited time and space, the intensity, the amount of running you have to do, it all does something to how a player looks technically. Now, the Norwegian league is obviously not any good, but it's still a professional league with players that have worked hard all their lives and players making good money to play football.

I'm no expert on the area, but as far as being better at using both feet handedness has a genetic/biological component as far as I know and there are ranges between extremely right handed (for example) and being properly ambidextrous. You could have a genetic/biological advantage that made it a lot easier for you to become two-footed than it is for others.

Thats quite true actually as I use both my hands for different things, so I am ambidextrous, but what about free kicks for example ok you have as much time as you want to take them but if you practice you do get better. I think if you practice at something you definitely get better at it.

Walker has plenty of time to put in a good cross so I don't buy the idea that just because he's in the premier league he can't cross it.

It's not hard at all to cross it, I hardly ever see him put a good ball let alone decent ball in the box.

Also it's actually one of the most important part of football to be able to pass the ball which Walker fails to do a lot.

Walker relies on his pace to get him into these decent positions and also get him out of a lot of trouble which he gets himself on due to his bad positioning and defending and this is his best and probably only attribute.

Last edited:
Thats quite true actually as I use both my hands for different things, so I am ambidextrous, but what about free kicks for example ok you have as much time as you want to take them but if you practice you do get better. I think if you practice at something you definitely get better at it.

Walker has plenty of time to put in a good cross so I don't buy the idea that just because he's in the premier league he can't cross it.

It's not hard at all to cross it, I hardly ever see him put a good ball let alone decent ball in the box.

Also it's actually one of the most important part of football to be able to pass the ball which Walker fails to do a lot.

Walker relies on his pace to get him into these decent positions and also get him out of a lot of trouble which he gets himself on due to his bad positioning and defending and this is his best and probably only attribute.

You appear to have an irrational dislike for Mr Walker. Fair enough, I had the same for Parker in his final season. I could see nothing good in anything he did and he infuriated me constantly at every turn (literally).

IMHO Walker's form has been on the rise steadily from the end of last season and I'm certain his passing stats are pretty good this season. In fact I think he was topping the charts in some matches for passes attempted and made. Your opinion on him must be based on past indiscretions as there is no denying that Walker playing superbly now.

You appear to have an irrational dislike for Mr Walker. Fair enough, I had the same for Parker in his final season. I could see nothing good in anything he did and he infuriated me constantly at every turn (literally).

IMHO Walker's form has been on the rise steadily from the end of last season and I'm certain his passing stats are pretty good this season. In fact I think he was topping the charts in some matches for passes attempted and made. Your opinion on him must be based on past indiscretions as there is no denying that Walker playing superbly now.

Without context, stats are completely meaningless. What about the passes that miss their target and turn over posssession resulting in defensive pressure? I rated Walker as a 7.5 in the last game. I call it as I see it. IMO he has very limited ability and will be an adequate defender and nothing more.

Our most consistent player this season imo and i think he has blossomed since being give the responsibility to take the set pieces.

Without context, stats are completely meaningless. What about the passes that miss their target and turn over posssession resulting in defensive pressure? I rated Walker as a 7.5 in the last game. I call it as I see it. IMO he has very limited ability and will be an adequate defender and nothing more.

Sometimes you see what you want to see. I think this comment could apply more to the other members of the back five this season. Walker has not been any worse than the rest of them and arguably better than most. Anyway sounds like you have made up your mind about him long ago so we'll park this.

He has improved his crossing though. Look at his cross towards Townsend against Man United (wasn't it Manu?) for example, a very well struck cross. Something he wouldn't have been able to do a couple of seasons back I think. The progress at this point is going to be rather slow and incremental though.

I don't think there's always plenty of time and space to put in a good cross. There are times when that's the case and no doubt he's put in some poor crosses in those situations sometimes (most players do), but as often players are forced to play passes and crosses first time, after just one touch, whilst under pressure or being closed down etc. I think the number of good crosses from Walker overall is improving.

I think his alleged poor positioning is overstated at this point, it was much more of an issue in his first year at Spurs. When was the last time he failed to hold the offside line leading to a chance? When was the last time he failed to track a runner? When was the last time he went for a 50/50 situation and got done and left for dead? I think he's improved significantly in this regard.

Well I'm pleased he worked on the defensive side first. Attacking parts can come later. He is still young don't forget.

Well I'm pleased he worked on the defensive side first. Attacking parts can come later. He is still young don't forget.

Easy to forget he's still only 23. He's still a bit inconsistent, but has improved lately - more importantly, I think we're seeing signs of him maturing both in terms of how he plays and in his behaviour on field. Easily one of the first names on the team sheet for me.

What percentage of Gascoigne's free kicks ended in a goal do you think?

That was sarcasm Scara. Still his goal against Man U was Gazzaesque. He timed the free kick perfectly, waiting for the wall to jump and then hitting it just before they all came down again. Masterful! =D>

Last edited:
The way I see is that, we are so woeful at set pieces now that we have Kyle Walker taking them.

That said, I do see improvement in his last few games so hopefully he can get better and better. As Robbo said he is only 23 but good to see he is improving.

Last edited:
That was sarcasm Scara. Still his goal against Man U was Gazzaesque. He timed the free kick perfectly, waiting for the wall to jump and then hitting it just before they all came down again. Masterful! =D>

Now I'm doubly confused :~

If I've misinterpreted then sorry.

I think Kyle is an ever present member of the team, either he or AVB has decided he could add value by working on his set piece ability (to me it has improved).

Similar to Lennon, I will actually defend his crossing ability, neither of them put the ball into row z often, more often I see a good ball go into a good area and no one is attacking that space, to me, that is the striker and midfielders not making the right runs, getting themselves into the right places, attacking the box. With Paulinho over the last few games we have seen a midfielder getting to some of those balls.

Back