• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Kyle Walker

If you go with the "OH BUT GARY NEVILLE SAID THIS",Pele and Maradona are the 2 best players of all time yet they are talking flimflam the whole time.
If you dont see the quality in Corluka,then enjoy Walker for the time being

We all have a choice in life: listen to a professional who knows what they're talking about, or chat gonad*s and pretend you're the expert yourself. Garry Neville is a professional, a very VERY successful one at that. With respect, I think I'll happily listen to his opinion and definitely place it MILES above little names on football forums whose 'careers' in football comprise of hacking it around with fatties on a Sunday morning.

We all have a choice in life: listen to a professional who knows what they're talking about, or chat gonad*s and pretend you're the expert yourself. Garry Neville is a professional, a very VERY successful one at that. With respect, I think I'll happily listen to his opinion and definitely place it MILES above little names on football forums whose 'careers' in football comprise of hacking it around with fatties on a Sunday morning.

I ask again. Is Kyle Walker the best right back in the league?

Okay,just for your information then,Pele said Neymar is better than Messi.

I guess you consider Neymar the best player in the world now.

I don't disagree with that, but that doesn't mean we I can't dance with pro's either.

In my eyes Walker has done an impressive job in his 1st full season with us. Dont forget he's had to look after the right hand side completly on his own with no cover back from right midfield with Lennon missing.

OK his crossing is brick but so was Lennon and start with (probably worse)

Garry Neville knows the position far, far better than you or I combined, so I'll happily revert to his knowledge.

Fair enough.

I would also take Gary Neville's opinion over mine, but I don't think Kyle Walker is the best right back in the league at all. We'll have to see if other well respected people make the same choice, if we get a consensus among experts then that would settle it I suppose. If not we're back to square one I suppose.

He doesn't need to be the best right back in the league, to be better than corluka

He could be the second worst in the league (1 place in front of the barge that he's replaced)

Fair enough.

I would also take Gary Neville's opinion over mine, but I don't think Kyle Walker is the best right back in the league at all. We'll have to see if other well respected people make the same choice, if we get a consensus among experts then that would settle it I suppose. If not we're back to square one I suppose.

Do we? :-s

Okay, well just as long as those well respected people have the credentials to actually back their opinion up, as Gary Neville does. As I've said, this is a professional who spent his whole career playing the position both domestically and internationally; so well that he won 19 titles doing it, and in the very same league and in the very same era - so he knows the pace and the demand required. If you were in Court and looking to call upon an 'Expert Witness', in all seriousness: are you going to find anyone better than Gary Neville, for that position? No, you're not.

Neville isn't an idiot either, or a dumb rent-a-quote like Hansen and Gray - he articulates his reasoning well, and far far better than many so-called 'analysts' have before him. I wouldn't be at all surprised if Alex Ferguson hasn't already invited Neville's opinion on Walker, and whether Man Utd should make a move for him in the summer. He's the type-a player which Ferguson tends to go for, so I'm sure he's weighing-up a move. But hey, I suppose the most successful manager in British football would also be absolutely clueless if he bought Kyle Walker too.

Gary Neville, no doubt, knows more about being a right back, but, on the other hand, I dare say all of us on here have watched Kyle Walker play more often this season than Gary Neville has.

I mean, maybe he is sat at home watching every single game in the Premier League, witnessing every mistake made by every player, but I doubt it. It's hardly in keeping with the work ethic of most professional footballers.

As Moonlit says, two different pros frequently have differing opinions on players. I don't think you're entitled to condescendingly dismiss someone's argument just because you happen to have one professional footballer in your corner.

On the specific issue, as is on record, I rate Corluka very highly, for reasons mentioned before. He did have a period of bad form/injuries, and I can understand why Redknapp looked at other options and settled on Walker. I do, however, think Walker has been hugely overhyped, largely on account of that attribute that always seems to excite fans unduly - pace. As a personal preference, the thing that gets me excited as far as defenders go is their positioning and intelligence/reading of the game. Corluka is way ahead of Walker in both of those, in my opinion. In fact, Walker is at a remedial level at this point - regularly costing us goals with poor marking/positioning, and giving away an endless stream of freekicks in dangerous positions by diving in to challenges.

He's still young enough to eradicate that from his game, of course, but he's also shown sufficient tendency to duplicate errors that he may ultimately be relegated to the Glen Johnson, didn't-ever-really-progress-past-his-early-promise, category.

Gary Neville, no doubt, knows more about being a right back, but, on the other hand, I dare say all of us on here have watched Kyle Walker play more often this season than Gary Neville has.

I mean, maybe he is sat at home watching every single game in the Premier League, witnessing every mistake made by every player, but I doubt it. It's hardly in keeping with the work ethic of most professional footballers.

As Moonlit says, two different pros frequently have differing opinions on players. I don't think you're entitled to condescendingly dismiss someone's argument just because you happen to have one professional footballer in your corner.

On the specific issue, as is on record, I rate Corluka very highly, for reasons mentioned before. He did have a period of bad form/injuries, and I can understand why Redknapp looked at other options and settled on Walker. I do, however, think Walker has been hugely overhyped, largely on account of that attribute that always seems to excite fans unduly - pace. As a personal preference, the thing that gets me excited as far as defenders go is their positioning and intelligence/reading of the game. Corluka is way ahead of Walker in both of those, in my opinion. In fact, Walker is at a remedial level at this point - regularly costing us goals with poor marking/positioning, and giving away an endless stream of freekicks in dangerous positions by diving in to challenges.

He's still young enough to eradicate that from his game, of course, but he's also shown sufficient tendency to duplicate errors that he may ultimately be relegated to the Glen Johnson, didn't-ever-really-progress-past-his-early-promise, category.

Nicely summed up.

Walker has the potential to be a beast of player in the Cafu mould, IF he lives up to his early potential and works on his defensive game, which I feel he is already progressing with.

Corluka is a very solid and composed ball-playing RB. I personally think he could do a decent job as a holding-mid as well but that's another discussion. He has great vision, one notable occasion is the ball he played for VDV's equaliser against Woolwich in the home game last season, to bring it to 1-1. I couldn't see Walker playing a ball like that at the present moment in time.

As with a lot of these discussions, Walker v Charlie, Sandro v Parker v Diarra v Thudd, Defoe v Ade etc etc, the real discussions should be how can we keep them happy in the squad and rotate depending on form/fitness/opposition. They are ALL quality players that most teams around would want in their squad.

I really think we should be keeping hold of Charlie in the summer, unless we can get an upgrade. I'm not sure there is one that is obtainable to us. Naughton is an option I know, but isn't he similar to Walker's style of play?

He doesn't need to be the best right back in the league, to be better than corluka

He could be the second worst in the league (1 place in front of the barge that he's replaced)

Absolutely spot on

Glad that donkey's never coming back to this club. One of the better things Arry did this season, no doubt

Last edited:
Why? Because I think the full backs of the Premiership holders (and looking increasingly likely to retain the title) are better than ours?

No, because your analysis above of those defenders is so far detached from reality and actual events you might as well be describing basketball players

No, because your analysis above of those defenders is so far detached from reality and actual events you might as well be describing basketball players

OK, explain? How would you rate the Utd defenders, and and what kind of defenders are they? Why are they inferior to Walker defensively?

Back