• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Kieran Trippier

Difficult to quantify, really. My concern is partly losing headers, absolutely - it's also more abstract, in that a taller right-back frees up space for a shorter player elsewhere where defensive solidity is less important than agility and trickery - viz, in attacking midfield. Really, I just don't want to end up like Arsenal after their stadium move - (to generalize a bit) a team of midgets and physically suspect players, playing beautiful stuff but being knocked about by the more solid, relentless teams.

I concede that yes, there are more factors that can offset a lack of height, like strength, positioning, willingness to get stuck in and so on. But height is important too - it is not an insignificant concern in these matters, is all.
I don't think we're currently anywhere near a risk of being a team of physically weak our short players.

I don't think we're currently anywhere near a risk of being a team of physically weak our short players.

Sure. A strong spine still exists - the CBs always have to be physically powerful, but beyond them, the likes of Wanyama, Dembele and Kane are all powerful enough to offset a lack of size elsewhere. Plus, our AMs are uncommonly tall anyway (Son, Alli and Eriksen must be one of the tallest AM bands in Europe on average). But why take the chance, if you can get players who are both agile/technical enough for our needs *and* physically powerful? In an ideal scenario, of course.

Sure. A strong spine still exists - the CBs always have to be physically powerful, but beyond them, the likes of Wanyama, Dembele and Kane are all powerful enough to offset a lack of size elsewhere. Plus, our AMs are uncommonly tall anyway (Son, Alli and Eriksen must be one of the tallest AM bands in Europe on average). But why take the chance, if you can get players who are both agile/technical enough for our needs *and* physically powerful? In an ideal scenario, of course.

Yes. But now we're moving from your hypothetical to the real world.

What's the value of height compared to the other attributes we want in a full back? Would you accept worse crossing and a bit less pace in exchange for more height? Or would you be happy to see us pay way over the top to get that height?

I think Harry will thrive on the improvement of crosses from the right this season. Whereas think we may become a little more vulnerable at the back down that side. Plusses and minusses.

Just hope we use the £10m from the Walker fee wisely....

Back