• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Kieran Trippier

Well as far as I've seen he has been flying. It's not just his crossing, but some of his forward passes to our front line have been brilliant and he adds a dimension we don't have with Walker with his superior footballing brain. Not trying to suggest Walker isn't superior in certain areas but with Trippier playing consistently I don't see us being any weaker in that position overall....
Glad to see someone else pick up on this. His execution is not always equal to his intentions but when it is it can be breathtaking.

In top form his vision, intelligence and speed of thought is way ahead of what you have any right to expect from a RWB. The moment he receives the ball he instantly knows exactly what he wants to do with it. So often it is to create something quite unexpected, eg a gem of a ball over the top that puts an attacker directly through one-on-one on the keeper or a precise cutback into the path of an onrushing striker to have a crack at goal. And that's on top of his pin-sharp crossing - which he gets right more often than any other wide-mid I can think of.

No doubt we will concede the odd extra goal with him at the back because top players can too easily leave him for dead but the number of chances he is capable of creating up-top for the likes of Harry, Dele and Son should more than compensate.

His form can certainly be erratic but I'm just salivating at the prospect of seeing him at his best in tandem with our attack on a regular basis this season.

How many goals a season would you estimate that the shorter full back would cost us in this hypothetical?

I would argue that other factors can be just as important as height if your concern is losing headers. Strength, bravery, marking, positioning... Rose is fairly short, but makes up for it in other ways and opponents very rarely get comfortable headers against him in dangerous positions. Rose now is clearly superior to Walker 4 years ago in this particular area, despite being shorter and Walker being a physical beast even back then.

Difficult to quantify, really. My concern is partly losing headers, absolutely - it's also more abstract, in that a taller right-back frees up space for a shorter player elsewhere where defensive solidity is less important than agility and trickery - viz, in attacking midfield. Really, I just don't want to end up like Arsenal after their stadium move - (to generalize a bit) a team of midgets and physically suspect players, playing beautiful stuff but being knocked about by the more solid, relentless teams.

I concede that yes, there are more factors that can offset a lack of height, like strength, positioning, willingness to get stuck in and so on. But height is important too - it is not an insignificant concern in these matters, is all.

My hunch is this. And why the loss of Walker does worry me.

I've waxed lyrical about Trippier being a 'crossing machine' and i also agree with the observation that his vision is more than than just crossing with pin point thru balls as well.

As i have said before 80% of our games will see us dominate and Trippiers skill set will perfectly fit with those match-ups. However i would suggest that, with all other things being equal, we would get over the line (ie 3pts) in those games with Walker as the RB or RWB just through the plain fact of us being better. So i don't see a great gain there.

It's the other 20% of games that the difference could show. I'm basically talking the top 6 match-ups, and the problem is, that where we are now, it is these games that make the difference in who takes home the trophies at the end of the season.

These teams come with Martial, Sanchez, Mane, Hazard, Sane, Jesus, etc....ie match winners that need locking down and this is where Trippier (currently) falls well short. Walker i always felt could put his mind to getting the upper hand on anyone.

That is what we have lost.

IMO unless we sign someone, i expect Poch may not play Trippier in many of those games and mitigate the risk by asking Dier/Wanyama to do the job.

Well as far as I've seen he has been flying. It's not just his crossing, but some of his forward passes to our front line have been brilliant and he adds a dimension we don't have with Walker with his superior footballing brain. Not trying to suggest Walker isn't superior in certain areas but with Trippier playing consistently I don't see us being any weaker in that position overall....

Well i do hope you will be right, however at the moment i have seen both of them in action and ( imo) Walker is the better all round FB. But he has gone now so lets hope that Tripper steps up and does the job.

Well i do hope you will be right, however at the moment i have seen both of them in action and ( imo) Walker is the better all round FB. But he has gone now so lets hope that Tripper steps up and does the job.
Fair enough, they have different strengths and weaknesses but bear in mind Walker has always had more game time and as Davies has demonstrated the longer run you get in the first team the better you get - in fact Trippier began to demonstrate that himself. Not once have I ever watched Trippier play and think GHod I wish Walker was here, and it's not like he's only played against the bottom sides....

Fair enough, they have different strengths and weaknesses but bear in mind Walker has always had more game time and as Davies has demonstrated the longer run you get in the first team the better you get - in fact Trippier began to demonstrate that himself. Not once have I ever watched Trippier play and think GHod I wish Walker was here, and it's not like he's only played against the bottom sides....

Fair points, as i say its all pointless now as he is no longer here so we will have to trust Poch.

That's the beauty of this regime, I always trust Levy and Pochs judgement ahead of mine or anyone else's opinion....

Spot on, of course the ones who are always saying " we definately need at least another couple of players" will disagree with both of us :).

That's the beauty of this regime, I always trust Levy and Pochs judgement ahead of mine or anyone else's opinion....

exactly, I can't think of a better fit for our squad as an RB/RWB than Kyle Walker

but I bet Poch can, and I'll be very surprised if a year from now we don't feel like we've upgraded

If take a player with 80% ability with 100% discipline and effort over a player with 100% ability and 80% discipline and effort.

*simple numbers not meant to be reflective of actual FM numbers

Back