• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Kieran Trippier

But the speculation is competing from the gutter press putting 2 and 2 together and coming up with a number to suit

They have even played the homesick card.... yet his kids go to school down here and he has never once made a negative comment about living down south.

I'm not saying he won't go but I do think its a convenient story that suits Emirates Marketing Project's need for English players (and they have much more in the way of press leaks than we do)

And Ben Davies signed a new contract last seaon too didn't he? He also played a lot of games... difference was no one speculated on his wages

It amazes me that there are still some fans who not only still read the gutter press but believe what they say. Not saying Walker will not go but i am not convinced he will despite the storys in the gutter press about the busts up etc which are made worse by fans who say that is the reason.

But the speculation is competing from the gutter press putting 2 and 2 together and coming up with a number to suit

They have even played the homesick card.... yet his kids go to school down here and he has never once made a negative comment about living down south.

I'm not saying he won't go but I do think its a convenient story that suits Emirates Marketing Project's need for English players (and they have much more in the way of press leaks than we do)

And Ben Davies signed a new contract last seaon too didn't he? He also played a lot of games... difference was no one speculated on his wages
Well it's not just the gutter press, more respected media like the Guardian, the Independent and the BBC have also reported that talks are under way. Yes they could all be completely wrong, or it may yet be that Levy's asking price will be enough to put City off, but my gut feeling remains the same, he is a goner.

http://www.independent.co.uk/sport/...y-transfer-news-kyle-walker-50m-a7822031.html

Last edited:
Well it's not just the gutter press, more respected media like the Guardian, the Independent and the BBC have also reported that talks are under way. Yes they could all be completely wrong, or it may yet be that Levy's asking price will be enough to put City off, but my gut feeling remains the same, he is a goner.

http://www.independent.co.uk/sport/...y-transfer-news-kyle-walker-50m-a7822031.html

The BBC had zero quotes and IMO have followed the press

Most U.K. Papers follow each other and churn out the same crap. That article is almost identical to one from 3 weeks ago

I think @parklane1 had some stats on how many papers get transfers right and the numbers were really really low

The BBC had zero quotes and IMO have followed the press

Most U.K. Papers follow each other and churn out the same crap. That article is almost identical to one from 3 weeks ago

I think @parklane1 had some stats on how many papers get transfers right and the numbers were really really low

These are the latest ones.

Rumour Accuracy
Source Correct Total Num Accuracy
The Guardian 371 1010
36.7%
Daily Record 214 652
32.8%
Daily Telegraph 414 1411
29.3%
The Times 447 1571
28.5%
The Herald 23 83
27.7%
The Scotsman 9 33
27.3%
The Independent 234 879
26.6%
Daily Mail 1443 6241
23.1%
Daily Mirror 2201 10221
21.5%
The Sun 1173 5663
20.7%

Daily Star 812 3965
20.5%
The Express 638 3174
20.1%
News Of The World 304 1697
17.9%
The People 169 1113
15.2%
Metro 183 1329
13.8%

These are the latest ones.

Rumour Accuracy
Source Correct Total Num Accuracy
The Guardian 371 1010
36.7%
Daily Record 214 652
32.8%
Daily Telegraph 414 1411
29.3%
The Times 447 1571
28.5%
The Herald 23 83
27.7%
The Scotsman 9 33
27.3%
The Independent 234 879
26.6%
Daily Mail 1443 6241
23.1%
Daily Mirror 2201 10221
21.5%
The Sun 1173 5663
20.7%

Daily Star 812 3965
20.5%
The Express 638 3174
20.1%
News Of The World 304 1697
17.9%
The People 169 1113
15.2%
Metro 183 1329
13.8%
Ahem. Some posters have been known to remind us all about lies, damned lies and statistics. :rolleyes:

Point being if the stories about City negotiating with Levy over the fee for Walker are genuine but it ends with City refusing to meet Levy's asking price, how will the people who compile those stats ever discover that it was true all along?

If we were talking to City surely we'd tell everyone in the hope of raising the price?

Not necessarily, only a few clubs in the CL can afford to cough up £50m

Abroad
Real do not need one and nor do Athletico, and the same goes for Juventus and PSG

Neither Bayern or Barca can afford to spend £50m on a right back

In the UK
United have Valencia
Liverpool do not need a new right back
We would never sell to Chelsea

He would not consider joining a team outside the CL so that leaves City

I'm not saying he won't leave but I've seen and heard people start the vitriol against him already which if find really disappointing

If he leaves I will be disappointed but I will not be slagging him off and I will be applauding him when he comes back in an opposition shirt. He has not bad mouthed us in the press and there is no evidence (or rumours) that he has been disruptive in the dressing room or in training.

Not necessarily, only a few clubs in the CL can afford to cough up £50m

Abroad
Real do not need one and nor do Athletico, and the same goes for Juventus and PSG

Neither Bayern or Barca can afford to spend £50m on a right back

In the UK
United have Valencia
Liverpool do not need a new right back
We would never sell to Chelsea

He would not consider joining a team outside the CL so that leaves City

Juve do don't they? Alves has left

I'm not saying he won't leave but I've seen and heard people start the vitriol against him already which if find really disappointing

Oh, come on. That's fudging out of order, that is. He's been here eight years, and hes spent six seasons soldiering on in the first team and giving it his all without a word of complaint.

Unless it's to Arsenal or Chelsea, I don't see how anyone could possibly hold a grudge against him for leaving now after such a long and loyal career at the club. And, of course, many of the same folks will be the same types who want Sissoko or Janssen binned after one season, or want some loyal, understated player benched after a few bad games (like Eriksen during his bad run last year, perhaps) - clearly the expected loyalty doesn't stretch both ways.

I mean, I get it, I guess - I was like that once, and probably still am in ways I don't realize. But, still...six years in the first team. And eight years total - the majority of a decade spent at Tottenham Hotspur. I wouldn't begrudge anybody a move after that amount of time and that many games spent straining every sinew for 90 minutes, sweating and bleeding in the shirt.

If he leaves I will be disappointed but I will not be slagging him off and I will be applauding him when he comes back in an opposition shirt. He has not bad mouthed us in the press and there is no evidence (or rumours) that he has been disruptive in the dressing room or in training.
And from the quality player he is now it is obvious how hard he has worked at his game - having had a few injuries in the past few years too.

The combined transfer fee for those two was over £50m so they were hardly bought just to sit on the bench. Neither would they have come for peanuts. Trippier on the other hand arrived initially as back-up to Walker for around £3.5m.

The maths don't work then, because we have 5 players for 2 spots when you consider Lamela too, so there are back ups on big money and big wages that will sit on the bench.

Well, our new first-choice RB until a new signing comes in - and probably even then, until that new signing adapts to the Prem.

I'm in two minds about him. On the one hand, he's great going forward - he lacks pace, but he makes up for it with the sort of technical ability that Walker never had. Can cross superbly, can pass surprisingly well and is a great threat on the overlap when up against a relatively slow LB. He'll be better than Walker was up against the majority of teams in the division.

On the other hand, we saw how awful he can sometimes be when up against a tricky, pacy, physical winger like Martial - who left him standing three or four times (including for Rooney's goal) at the final game at the Lane. That will hurt us this coming season, no two ways about it - and the thought of Trippier up against Mane/Salah, Hazard, Sanchez or Sane does not fill me with anywhere near as much confidence as the thought of having Walker up against them.

we saw how awful he can sometimes be when up against a tricky, pacy, physical winger like Martial - who left him standing three or four times (including for Rooney's goal) at the final game at the Lane. That will hurt us this coming season, no two ways about it - and the thought of Trippier up against Mane/Salah, Hazard, Sanchez or Sane does not fill me with anywhere near as much confidence as the thought of having Walker up against them.
Agreed... Trippier was embarrassed and apologised afterwards for being sold a kipper, it was way too easy for Martial to stroll past him. Gulp. Don't worry, Sissoko will be our new wing back :D

Agreed... Trippier was embarrassed and apologised afterwards for being sold a kipper, it was way too easy for Martial to stroll past him. Gulp. Don't worry, Sissoko will be our new wing back :D

I'd expect him to improve on that this season - not saying he won't, because he seems genuinely aware that it's a problem for him.

But will that be enough to make up for the loss of Kyle? Not sure. This Pereira bloke we're targeting seems to tick the boxes in terms of being pacy and a good defender, but he's also quite small in terms of physique, much like Trippier - I feel like that in itself will be another hindrance in a league where teams are actively stocking up on big, fast players (https://www.theguardian.com/football/2017/jul/14/jose-mourinho-tall-story-manchester-united-manager).

I'd expect him to improve on that this season - not saying he won't, because he seems genuinely aware that it's a problem for him.

But will that be enough to make up for the loss of Kyle? Not sure. This Pereira bloke we're targeting seems to tick the boxes in terms of being pacy and a good defender, but he's also quite small in terms of physique, much like Trippier - I feel like that in itself will be another hindrance in a league where teams are actively stocking up on big, fast players (https://www.theguardian.com/football/2017/jul/14/jose-mourinho-tall-story-manchester-united-manager).

Seem to recall Modric was widely dismissed on arrival as being too slight for the PL. :p

Anyway I just googled Pereira's height. Yes he is 0.06m (4") shorter than Walker but 0.03m (2") TALLER than the great Danny Rose ;).

Back