• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Jobs for teens

I don't know much about history, don't know much of biology, don't know much about science books but....

Ask me any sum, percentages, division, multiplying ABSOLUTELY anything ill give you an answer in seconds. Carol Vorderman-esque. Seriously lol. I could be lying for all you know obviously but it's true.

My point is mental arithmetic is IMO the most important skill you could have. fudge straight A's I couldn't give a toss about them. People I went to school with had all the qualifications, went to uni blah blah blah - two are now working in wether spoons as bar staff while I'm earning a great salary in a bookies!! They've got all the grades but it means fudge all hahaha.

Also COYS remember the saying - respect your elders. So many times I used to think like you. What do you know? You can't tell me anything I don't know. Believe me they can.

I don't know much about history, don't know much of biology, don't know much about science books but....

Ask me any sum, percentages, division, multiplying ABSOLUTELY anything ill give you an answer in seconds. Carol Vorderman-esque. Seriously lol. I could be lying for all you know obviously but it's true.

My point is mental arithmetic is IMO the most important skill you could have. fudge straight A's I couldn't give a toss about them. People I went to school with had all the qualifications, went to uni blah blah blah - two are now working in wether spoons as bar staff while I'm earning a great salary in a bookies!! They've got all the grades but it means fudge all hahaha.

Also COYS remember the saying - respect your elders. So many times I used to think like you. What do you know? You can't tell me anything I don't know. Believe me they can.

The man was full of brick. He thinks this country has no future. In 20 years our lawyers and doctors are going to be much better than the ones we have today. Standards aren't slipping; life's just becoming easier.

I'm also good at mental arithmetic. Doesn't mean I need it though. When I have a job when I'm older I'll have a calculator so why not have one now?

The man was full of brick. He thinks this country has no future. In 20 years our lawyers and doctors are going to be much better than the ones we have today. Standards aren't slipping; life's just becoming easier.

I'm also good at mental arithmetic. Doesn't mean I need it though. When I have a job when I'm older I'll have a calculator so why not have one now?

You need it maybe a lot more than you think. I've got 6 calculators at work but I settle my shops bets with a pencil and a piece of paper real old school and love it!!

He may well of been 'Full of brick' I don't know you were there. His generation will always be sceptical of your generation as they're a very closed minded generation who believe their way is the right way. That'll never change either just accept it and ignore it if it gets to you.

You need it maybe a lot more than you think. I've got 6 calculators at work but I settle my shops bets with a pencil and a piece of paper real old school and love it!!

He may well of been 'Full of brick' I don't know you were there. His generation will always be sceptical of your generation as they're a very closed minded generation who believe their way is the right way. That'll never change either just accept it and ignore it if it gets to you.

I'm sure when I'm older and I see my kids with all these amazing technologies that are allowing them to do ever so well at school, I'll be extremely envious I never had this at school, but I'm not going to begrudge them for having it. We use technology to make our life better. If some people wanna live in the old days then so be it, but I can't see why one would

I'm sure when I'm older and I see my kids with all these amazing technologies that are allowing them to do ever so well at school, I'll be extremely envious I never had this at school, but I'm not going to begrudge them for having it. We use technology to make our life better. If some people wanna live in the old days then so be it, but I can't see why one would

The world is constantly changing and upgrading. Some don't see that as 'better' though that's the problem IMO.

You need to get over this idea that older people are simply jealous of the technology you have. I did calculator papers in my GCSEs same as you, and all we did is used a calculator where previous years used lookup tables for things like trigonometry.

The reality is that 16 year olds are being asked to do less than ever before. When the older generations were at school, their subjects really challenged them. Pick up an O Level paper from the 80s and you'll see half of it is now A Level material, the syllabuses are getting weaker.

It looked good for Labour to have 13 consecutive years of improving exam grades, but it was just grade inflation. When I did my GCSE, I only had to get 50% on my higher maths paper to get an A. It was no challenge to any of us with an ounce of intelligence, we knew it and we laughed about it.

You disrespectful fool.

This man has "life" experience. He has had to cope with everything thrown at him, that no bloody exam paper could ever assist with.

I guarantee what that man has learned since the dark days of his education so many years ago would put you to shame. Hard graft, I've no doubt.

One day, you may well have experience to fall back on, and you will make those same judgements thinking you had it tough.

I appreciate you are only 16 (?) but honestly, grow up a little fella.

that's the crux Richie, it's not about the technology, it's solely that the bar has been considerably lowered, it's analogous to when the German economy failed and they tried to fix it by printing more money, we now have our metaphorical grads leaving university's by the thousands pushing wheelbarrows full of grades without a meaningful way of distinguishing the wheat from the chaff

that brings me round to the OP's point, your work experience can massively help with future employment, it's not about the earning, it's about the (work life) learning, some jobs are better than others, but any job is better than no job (i know full well that's not 100% true now, something else our governments have fudged up)

I feel like a tyrant from reading this thread. My 7 year old already has to earn his pocket money and pay for his own stuff (Toys, trading cards etc..) and my 5 year old has to keep his room tidy for his £1 a week (which he saves btw). My eldest even saved up to pay for his Sunderland ticket as I told him I wouldn't pay for it (even though I probably would have), I am however paying for his train ticket etc..

Am I being too hard on my kids or are they actually learning the value of money?

Yes you are, but so was Tiger Woods dad and Venus & Serena Williams's. Keep it up and cash in when your boy wins a Masters.

I feel like a tyrant from reading this thread. My 7 year old already has to earn his pocket money and pay for his own stuff (Toys, trading cards etc..) and my 5 year old has to keep his room tidy for his £1 a week (which he saves btw). My eldest even saved up to pay for his Sunderland ticket as I told him I wouldn't pay for it (even though I probably would have), I am however paying for his train ticket etc..

Am I being too hard on my kids or are they actually learning the value of money?

I think that's the kind of father I will be. It will hopefully make your kids respect money and have a true sense of value.

I'm not a parent yet but there's obviously many ways to be successful. I don't think you're being too hard at all.

I agree the old codger should mind his own unless he had good reason to say it. He may or may not have a point about the 'youth' the exams might be easier, whatever the case it's not right he should take it out on one kid, who he probably thought was an easy target at the checkout.

Sounds like a miserable old git or someone not of sound mind.

You disrespectful fool.

This man has "life" experience. He has had to cope with everything thrown at him, that no bloody exam paper could ever assist with.

I guarantee what that man has learned since the dark days of his education so many years ago would put you to shame. Hard graft, I've no doubt.

One day, you may well have experience to fall back on, and you will make those same judgements thinking you had it tough.

I appreciate you are only 16 (?) but honestly, grow up a little fella.

This flimflam about experience has no substance! What experience does this clown shoe have of today's education? Has he sat inside our classrooms?

He was an unpleasant individual - these things come naturally with age. My grandmother who was certainly not younger than him agreed with me.

EDIT: If his "life" education would put me to shame then why does he complain about what we learn in schools? If what we learn out of school is more important then he has no reason to comment.

And please don't call me "disrespectful fool". Unlike him, I bit my lip, and didn't start going mad like I was tempted to. Perhaps he just never learnt manners at school?

Last edited:

I sign off the invoices and purchase orders for my team of 10 graduates. They all use calculators or Excel to tot things up. They all get it wrong from time to time and don't think to check.

E.g. If they have 412 items at £3.27 they just plug it into their computer and believe whatever it tells them. They don't automatically think it will be just over £1200 (400x£3)

If their calculator says £870 they will just type that in and believe it.

It happens every week, they just don't have the basic grasp of mental arithmetic or estimating

I sign off the invoices and purchase orders for my team of 10 graduates. They all use calculators or Excel to tot things up. They all get it wrong from time to time and don't think to check.

E.g. If they have 412 items at £3.27 they just plug it into their computer and believe whatever it tells them. They don't automatically think it will be just over £1200 (400x£3)

It happens every week, they just don't have the basic grasp of mental arithmetic or estimating

Team of 10 Graduates??? What did you do so wrong in a past life??

(I say this as a former graduate - can you be that? - myself)

Good thing we get taught how to do that in maths!

I'm 39. I wish I knew what I know now 10 years ago (when I was 29 :D). And when I was 29, I wish I knew my life when I was 19.

Life is superfast, it waits for no man. Education is very important but let's face it, the grade keep us moving - how much do we actually still remember though? :D I got 92% in Design Technology - that was an A grade :D Where the fudge was my A*!!! :D

I had a project on African Cinema circa 1995. I think I had to visit 6 libraries and find 3-4 relevant people to interview to gain knowledge. I could have done that in 4 mins on Google nowadays. Does that mean I wasted my time at college?

In this day and age, I'd only advise that you learn respect, social co-ordination and empathy. Education means nothing if you cannot blend with the people you live around. Be a good person, appreciate the background of others - allow yourself to grow as a human being by understanding that the World may be bigger than you can comprehend.

P.S. I had to study brick like Home Economics and Fashion and Textiles :D

I'm 39. I wish I knew what I know now 10 years ago (when I was 29 :D). And when I was 29, I wish I knew my life when I was 19.

Life is superfast, it waits for no man. Education is very important but let's face it, the grade keep us moving - how much do we actually still remember though? :D I got 92% in Design Technology - that was an A grade :D Where the fudge was my A*!!! :D

I had a project on African Cinema circa 1995. I think I had to visit 6 libraries and find 3-4 relevant people to interview to gain knowledge. I could have done that in 4 mins on Google nowadays. Does that mean I wasted my time at college?

In this day and age, I'd only advise that you learn respect, social co-ordination and empathy. Education means nothing if you cannot blend with the people you live around. Be a good person, appreciate the background of others - allow yourself to grow as a human being by understanding that the World may be bigger than you can comprehend.

P.S. I had to study brick like Home Economics and Fashion and Textiles :D

Oh don't worry - the education system today is awful, what you studied 20 years ago was much more beneficial.

Back