• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Jobs for teens

Crawley

Board Legend
I seem to remember asking this before somewhere............however:

I've got a 15 year old lad (16 in September) who has yet to work (paper-rounds etc). And it's time for him to find something to get some pocket money.

This week, I got him an interview (of sorts) at our local re-built golf club, with the director of golf and restaurant manager, whom I've known for some time.

All they wanted was someone for 4-5 hours on a saturday afternoon, washing up plates, cups and cutlery after the main meal rush. £20 for 4 hours work.
5 mins walk from our house, still gets a saturday morning lie-in, and still home for saturday evening.

He declined it.

Too bricky or something.

Me and the missus are disgusted at his attitude, and will now do bugger all for him.

But, what other jobs could he do/can I suggest that are not your run of the mill paper-round type things?

Need some of you parents to suggest things here.

By the way, he is very intelligent, top pupil in school, but also very much one of the lads etc.

Could/should do so much. I just want him to learn about values of working

I turned 16 in February (please don't ban me) and have been looking too hard for a job. I need one for Summer before I go away, so suggestions would be also welcomed by me.

Refuse to work in McDonald's for £4 an hour. I have better things to be doing in my spare time than that. I'm more than happy to work about 10 hours a week earning £5 an hour, but nobody seems to really want a 16 year old with no experience :(

Independant shops are the best bet, when I managed the Sevonoaks store I had a couple of saturday lads. Paid them £5 an hour for half a day each and tought them about the products, customer service, work ethic ect and funnily enough they used to ask our advice on stuff they wouldnt ask thier parents.

As he wont work someone else what about going to a local car boot sale/market and help him set up his own stall on a saturday or sunday. £20 to buy the table and sure you can find stuff in the house to sell. Gets him out meeting people, selling, develop business skills

I used to mow a neighbour's lawn all summer, got me £20/week for about an hour worth of work.
Also done a few paint jobs on houses, and safe to say I'm never painting anything again. Terrible stuff, extremely boring.

I'm afraid at the age of 16 you cannot pick and choose jobs and wages because you have no experience. My eldest son works in mcdonalds, he turned 18 in March. He started working there the summer he left school and even though he is part time whilst he does his A levels, he has done a NVQ whilst working and is now a crew trainer with a decent wage rise.
My 15 year old son (16 August) has just been offered a job as a commis chef in a local pub and they are still sorting out details. we live in a very rural area in Somerset and so jobs are hardly plentiful. Its no use at the age of 15/16 sticking your nose up at certain jobs or wages, you have to start somewhere.

i used to stack shelves in a supermarket, it was pretty good all things considered as loads of mates worked there as well and there were girls who never would have talked to me at school/college (different world when you are colleagues, maybe it was the green fiveways jacket), think i took home about £20 a week for three evening shifts

one summer i had a golf club job collecting the grass cuttings in a converted golf caddy and feeding the balls through the driving range ball washer before putting them back in the vending machine, absolutely loved it, fresh air and no hassle

Your 16!! Why would you get anything other than minimum wage? Attitude of the youth today no surprise this country is fudged.
Really, because there's me thinking that somebody should be paid what they're worth regardless of their age, to strive for the best deal you can achieve shows ambition, maybe it's people with closed minds, stuck in their ways telling youngsters to take what they're offered and be grateful for it who have fudged this country* because the last time I checked neither this nor previous governments were formed of teenagers.

*Not that the country is fudged imo but that's a different discussion

Really, because there's me thinking that somebody should be paid what they're worth regardless of their age, to strive for the best deal you can achieve shows ambition, maybe it's people with closed minds, stuck in their ways telling youngsters to take what they're offered and be grateful for it who have fudged this country* because the last time I checked neither this nor previous governments were formed of teenagers.

*Not that the country is fudged imo but that's a different discussion

Flipping burgers serving people and using a till. I have no issue what so ever people doing that for a living no problem what so ever and fair play to them but end of day that's a minimum wage job plain and simple.

Tell that to the guys working here..

http://www.gbk.co.uk/

Beenany times myself and enjoyed it many a time can't imagine staff are on much above minimum wage tho?
Don't see any problem with taking a job on minimum and if these jobs for 16 year olds exist where you get paid a huge amount keep looking for them! Nothing stopping you taking a minimum wage job in meantime other than laziness or some false sense of entitlement and believing something is beneath you. Either way good luck to you all.

My first job was at a hairdressers in Camden and Warren Street. Washing hair and cleaning up.

Turned out to be a laundering exercise for an east-end gangster. Was pretty awesome at the time. Got paid 15 quid for the day and every other week the owner would turn up in his big merc, flip the boot and tell us to fill our boots with designer gear. Was never short of aftershave or Ralph Lauren polo shirts!

I'm afraid at the age of 16 you cannot pick and choose jobs and wages because you have no experience. My eldest son works in mcdonalds, he turned 18 in March. He started working there the summer he left school and even though he is part time whilst he does his A levels, he has done a NVQ whilst working and is now a crew trainer with a decent wage rise.
My 15 year old son (16 August) has just been offered a job as a commis chef in a local pub and they are still sorting out details. we live in a very rural area in Somerset and so jobs are hardly plentiful. Its no use at the age of 15/16 sticking your nose up at certain jobs or wages, you have to start somewhere.

Could you come and have a chat with him so he hears it from someone else then ?;)

Buy him a big bag of pills, another bigger bag of grass, the he can sell on to his mates and you can take a slice of the profits.

Tell him it's all about the contacts he makes now when it comes to looking for a job later.

I worked at a couple of factories as temp jobs whilst at college. The first one I improved output on my part of the production line by nearly 50% just by not being lazy - the manager was impressed enough to ask me to come back for an office job when I finished uni (chose not to). The second one is where I work now - I'll be FD of their parent company in a few years.

Back