• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Jobs for teens

I agree that it is not easy to make a good living in London. That is why I decided to head elsewhere to seek out that opportunity. I didn't follow the same path as my friends and family but decided to think a little outside the box (I hate that phrase btw but it fits what I'm trying to say) and that is all that COYS is saying. There is more than one way to make a decent living for yourself in this world, and working a minimum-wage job for a multi-national corporation that really doesn't give a brick about you is not the be-all-and-end-all IMO. COYS is young and he has questions about life that a couple of shifts at MacD's every week isn't going to answer.

The thing is, what I'm saying to you is that this isn't about making a living, it's about getting yourself into a position to make a living in a few years.

If you don't start with menial jobs that you can get, when you're young, you will struggle to have anything on your CV by the time you start applying for jobs post uni.

If he had a choice between a 4 or 5 pound an hour job, choose the fiver, but his time - unfortunately for him - is worth about that at the moment. So when he says things along the lines of "I've got better things to do with my time than work for 4 quid an hour" (can't remember exactly what he said) he's wrong. Someone said a few posts ago that he should do both, ie flip burgers and look for something better, and that's good advice I'd say.

I'll try my luck in Brent Cross soon. Office (the shoe shop) are apparently always hiring kids, and I remember that was my brother's first job.

Personally I've always wanted to work in Game, because I've always wanted a discount, but I'm not sure they want me...

Another thing about McDonalds is that they are fantastic when you move about.

A guy I know started there at 16 as the lowly minimum wage. After a couple of years he went to Uni, so got a transferred to the McDonalds there. I met him in his Masters year when he had transferred again to Loughborough (where we studied) and he was getting paid as a part time assistant manager while studying. Don't think many students could have found a job around here for what he was getting paid.

People complain about the big corporations about how they don't care about you etc..., but it has its perks too. You'll never be far from a McDonalds when you (presumably) go to University, get your foot in the door and you'll be able to have a decent paid part time job through Uni, and get more than the minimum wage the Students Union pays.

I was talking to a mate of mine some time ago about working as a paperboy.

He mentioned in passing that the newsagent insisted he checked his boys fitness via a cough and drop. Erm!

I was talking to a mate of mine some time ago about working as a paperboy.

He mentioned in passing that the newsagent insisted he checked his boys fitness via a cough and drop. Erm!

I didn't know this job existed outside American movies.

Surely every boy would want to be a paper boy then?

I didn't know this job existed outside American movies.

Surely every boy would want to be a paper boy then?

I'm not sure how to respond lol. I used to get up at 6am and deliver surreys daily mails and telegraphs and got paid a fiver for six days effort ( mid 80's).

I was absolutely knackered by the time I got to school.

By the way, there is often evening jobs going in the offices, have a ring round be proactive. Beats flipping burgers.

I did a morning and evening paper round for years, got about £30 a week all in as you'd get tips when collecting the evening paper money

oh and you'd get the oggle the daily sport of a morning if you were lucky enough to have one on your round, couldn't sit down on the saddle until you were half way round

The thing is, what I'm saying to you is that this isn't about making a living, it's about getting yourself into a position to make a living in a few years.

If you don't start with menial jobs that you can get, when you're young, you will struggle to have anything on your CV by the time you start applying for jobs post uni.

If he had a choice between a 4 or 5 pound an hour job, choose the fiver, but his time - unfortunately for him - is worth about that at the moment. So when he says things along the lines of "I've got better things to do with my time than work for 4 quid an hour" (can't remember exactly what he said) he's wrong. Someone said a few posts ago that he should do both, ie flip burgers and look for something better, and that's good advice I'd say.

I get the point you are trying to make, and it a genuine point. But what I am trying to say is that there are so many more opportunities out there that working for a major corporation (that maybe most at fault for the obesity epidemic affecting the Western world) for minimum wage is not the only option. There is more than one way to skin a cat and the working world has changed in this respect.

I get the point you are trying to make, and it a genuine point. But what I am trying to say is that there are so many more opportunities out there that working for a major corporation (that maybe most at fault for the obesity epidemic affecting the Western world) for minimum wage is not the only option. There is more than one way to skin a cat and the working world has changed in this respect.

That's fudging hilarious.

People are at fault for the obesity epidemic. Nobody forces people to go and eat at McDonalds.

Are your parents quite well off? I know a few people who were put in a tough situation in that their parents were pretty wealthy but unwilling to help with money through Uni, so they got the lower student loan and weren't eligible for any grants or bursary.

My parents gave me money to live on through Uni on the justification that a lot of the money they were saving by me not living to home. I know a friend of mine who came from a poorer background whose parents couldnt afford to support her but when you add in her bursary and higher student loan I was only maybe £15/week better off. This was before the student loan reforms though, so not sure how the loans may have changed.

As a PhD student I live with freshers as a warden and it seems to me that now the fees have gone up, students are a fair bit smarter with their money.

Fairly well off, in the sense that I don't qualify for the additional grants and stuff. But it's not like my parents go "hey son here's three grand to fudge around with!" each year, I'm lucky to know they'd be able to help me if I was in need but I chose to work.

I don't think the larger fees really make much difference, it's all the same kind of loan, one that doesn't kick in until you start earning enough, don't think it'd make a difference for students day to day spending, what's the difference between 10 grand or 30 grand if there's barely any chance you paying it off anyway?

This is probably quite unrelated, and I have had this out with other people on this board as well, but I am fuming after a bad experience today.

So there I was in Sainsbury's with my grandma helping her pack the shopping. The cashier asked me if I wanted school vouchers, to which I said no. The guy behind us in the line, who must have been about 70 years old, asked what they were. Then the guy starts making comments that really get me going. Apparently the population of kids coming out of schools are doomed because of the education system, we learn nothing and kids today can't read, write or string two sentences together (my apologies if you reading this are unable to understand me). The cashier then said "well ask him" whilst pointing to me and so the guy goes "Well he goes to a private school, because his parents have lots of money and most kids unfortunately aren't fortunate enough to have such a thing" to which I snapped "no I don't I go to a state school!" Perhaps he made that assumption because he feels state schools aren't good enough to wear blazers. Anyway my grandma quickly said "Anyway what difference to you is it if he goes to a state school or not? It's actually none of your business" so the guy just started saying how he was trying to make conversation with the cashier and wasn't talking to us, before starting on the cashier by asking on his experience at school before saying "Well you work at Sainsbury's, so I guess they taught you how to count..."

This is hugely offensive. I learn things at school. When was the last time that prick had ever even been inside a school? Who the fudge is he to comment? What if I said to one of you guys you do fudge all at work all day? That's pretty much what this guy was saying. What does he think we do in school? Sit there scratching our arses? Unfortunately many of you are going to agree with him because you just see the worst of schoolkids. You just see the chavs that go to school because they have to. That is not the normal, middle-class teenager. Also you may think we have it too easy because have access to calculators and computers, which you never had in your day. I don't think that's a bad thing at all. If this technology is available to us then why shouldn't we be taught how to use it? You'd use it in the real world. I bet if I asked that clown shoe about a simple, basic concept I learn in science he wouldn't be able to answer it. I have had a great education - probably better than the education of most people reading this who was born before 1980. Sorry we don't have archaic subjects like mental arithmetic or whatever. The future of this country was only fudged by those 40-50 year olds in the City. Don't blame us. My mother dropped out of school at 15, and achieved 4 O levels in subjects like typing. To be honest, I think this country is gonna get back on track and I'm gonna have a great future, and I'm gonna work my arse off to make sure I do.

That's fudging hilarious.

People are at fault for the obesity epidemic. Nobody forces people to go and eat at McDonalds.

This, this, a thousand times this.

Totally going off topic but I fudging hate how people blame companies like McDonalds and Coke for obesity. How about these people start taking some fudging responsibility for what they put in their bodies.

I have no problem having a pizza or a McDonalds once in a while because I hit the gym and play sport, so I'm not obese. People just never want to take responsibility for the situation they are in. More than anything else, your body is a reflection on the way you live your life.

I enjoy a maccas every now and then, and I fudging love coca cola, probably drink 5/6 cans a week, yet I'm not a fat bastard

yes there are many reasons for obesity, some chemical, some mental, but there are plenty of people who are just lazy and lack self discipline

back to the original topic, yes Coys your point about the lazy stereotyping of the modern learner has merit, but there is definitely a grain of truth there, this country made a massive fudge up with its education policy during the last labour govt and academic qualifications have never had a lower value in the eyes of employers, if I think back over the last few hires I've been responsible for I don't recall paying any attention to anything other than work experience, I couldn't tell you what (if any) gcse's/a-levels/degrees my team members have

COYS I understand you taking offence but the reality is that people of our generation (Im only 25) have had it easy at school. Stuff that is currently taught at A Level used to be taught at 16. Exams are getting easier, and so yours (and my) qualifications have less merit.

How can you distinguish between the best and brightest when everyone is getting the top grades? The reality is you can't. Like I say, the number of idiots I meet at my University who have straight A's at GCSE and A Level is ridiculous.

Also, the idea that you consider mental arithmetic archaic is ridiculous. How can people even survive without being able to do sums in their head? Even just estimating is an important skill. It's like when I buy something for £6.06 and gives them £11.06 so I can get a fiver back, some people just cant comprehend what I've done. They have this confused look and have to type it in to the till to work out what change to give me. Idiots.

COYS I understand you taking offence but the reality is that people of our generation (Im only 25) have had it easy at school. Stuff that is currently taught at A Level used to be taught at 16. Exams are getting easier, and so yours (and my) qualifications have less merit.

How can you distinguish between the best and brightest when everyone is getting the top grades? The reality is you can't. Like I say, the number of idiots I meet at my University who have straight A's at GCSE and A Level is ridiculous.

Also, the idea that you consider mental arithmetic archaic is ridiculous. How can people even survive without being able to do sums in their head? Even just estimating is an important skill. It's like when I buy something for £6.06 and gives them £11.06 so I can get a fiver back, some people just cant comprehend what I've done. They have this confused look and have to type it in to the till to work out what change to give me. Idiots.

Absolutely this.

I've seen it myself, and my missus sees it even more (recruitment consultant).

CVs, with incredible grades in all manner of subjects, and yet full of spelling and grammatical errors. Atrocious.

And in the past, when I've been involved in training new staff, give them a test that involves basic geography, with simple "mark this country on a map" type questions.............wow!

This, this, a thousand times this.

Totally going off topic but I fudging hate how people blame companies like McDonalds and Coke for obesity. How about these people start taking some fudging responsibility for what they put in their bodies.

I have no problem having a pizza or a McDonalds once in a while because I hit the gym and play sport, so I'm not obese. People just never want to take responsibility for the situation they are in. More than anything else, your body is a reflection on the way you live your life.

Another off topic, but completely agree. People also choose to ignore the good thing McDonalds brings - they employ thousands and thousands of people and do a lot in the community with Ronald McDonald house.

If someone can't avoid eaten Maccas a few times a week, that is their own fault.

Comparing my children's education with mine then in general they have had a far better education than i received. Teachers seem to care and phone me if grades are slipping and do extra. son number 2 is bright but has a disability which hampers his learning but he has had loads of help and support. When I was at school no one seemed to give a brick.
But the exam system makes it so much easier today. Breaking subjects up into modules and doing exams over the 2 years and re-taking if grade is low makes it so much easier to get better overall grades. The controlled assessments that can be done again until the grade is acceptable and so on. The grades that children get don't neccesarily reflect their ability.

This is probably quite unrelated, and I have had this out with other people on this board as well, but I am fuming after a bad experience today.

So there I was in Sainsbury's with my grandma helping her pack the shopping. The cashier asked me if I wanted school vouchers, to which I said no. The guy behind us in the line, who must have been about 70 years old, asked what they were. Then the guy starts making comments that really get me going. Apparently the population of kids coming out of schools are doomed because of the education system, we learn nothing and kids today can't read, write or string two sentences together (my apologies if you reading this are unable to understand me). The cashier then said "well ask him" whilst pointing to me and so the guy goes "Well he goes to a private school, because his parents have lots of money and most kids unfortunately aren't fortunate enough to have such a thing" to which I snapped "no I don't I go to a state school!" Perhaps he made that assumption because he feels state schools aren't good enough to wear blazers. Anyway my grandma quickly said "Anyway what difference to you is it if he goes to a state school or not? It's actually none of your business" so the guy just started saying how he was trying to make conversation with the cashier and wasn't talking to us, before starting on the cashier by asking on his experience at school before saying "Well you work at Sainsbury's, so I guess they taught you how to count..."

This is hugely offensive. I learn things at school. When was the last time that prick had ever even been inside a school? Who the fudge is he to comment? What if I said to one of you guys you do fudge all at work all day? That's pretty much what this guy was saying. What does he think we do in school? Sit there scratching our arses? Unfortunately many of you are going to agree with him because you just see the worst of schoolkids. You just see the chavs that go to school because they have to. That is not the normal, middle-class teenager. Also you may think we have it too easy because have access to calculators and computers, which you never had in your day. I don't think that's a bad thing at all. If this technology is available to us then why shouldn't we be taught how to use it? You'd use it in the real world. I bet if I asked that clown shoe about a simple, basic concept I learn in science he wouldn't be able to answer it. I have had a great education - probably better than the education of most people reading this who was born before 1980. Sorry we don't have archaic subjects like mental arithmetic or whatever. The future of this country was only fudged by those 40-50 year olds in the City. Don't blame us. My mother dropped out of school at 15, and achieved 4 O levels in subjects like typing. To be honest, I think this country is gonna get back on track and I'm gonna have a great future, and I'm gonna work my arse off to make sure I do.

Jesus - you need winding in, big time. No-one cares about if you're offended by some 70 odd year old geezer who thinks your flimsy qualifications are flimsy.

I think Richie says it in a nicer way, but you're painting your generation in an awful light.

I always fancied myself when I was in my teens (as we all do) but when someone with experience, who had seen a fair bit, made a comment, I took it on the chin.

You need to wind it in and stop giving it, because everything you say has been heard a million times before. Get in work, earn a few bob, stop getting hand outs from your mum and dad. Everyone will find you more pleasant.

Thanks.

Jesus - you need winding in, big time. No-one cares about if you're offended by some 70 odd year old geezer who thinks your flimsy qualifications are flimsy.

I think Richie says it in a nicer way, but you're painting your generation in an awful light.

I always fancied myself when I was in my teens (as we all do) but when someone with experience, who had seen a fair bit, made a comment, I took it on the chin.

You need to wind it in and stop giving it, because everything you say has been heard a million times before. Get in work, earn a few bob, stop getting hand outs from your mum and dad. Everyone will find you more pleasant.

Thanks.

His experience is based on what, exactly? Has he ever been inside a classroom within the last 50 years? I mean at least I know how the system works, considering I'm involved in it. I admit that the grade boundaries for some exams are low, and that's why it's been fairly easy for me to get 'full marks' on the UMS in some exams, but that's because it's scaled against the rest of the country who have been raised by the previous generation and consequently done badly.

The only people I will respect here are those up to 15 years older than me because things have been easier for us than it has for them, whilst they've still had similar enough experiences.

But don't put the fact we're all doing well in exams down to education getting easier. How many of you had interactive whiteboards at school? If they were so useless, our school wouldn't have paid GHod-knows-how-much to have them put in every single classroom (and we have about 100 classrooms).

Mental arithmetic is a great skill, though it's a skill based on talent mainly. That's why only 30% of our GCSE doesn't allow calculator. The rest does. Is that so bad? If we're talking about the real world here then I don't see why calculators are so evil.

Retakes and modular qualifications have now been stopped, and I was the last year to take modular GCSEs but I don't know why. Qualifications shouldn't be about making your life difficult, they should be about knowing the content. If you did badly, but then finally know the content then what's wrong with that? It's better than just doing badly then giving up. Michael Gove is ruining our education system. He thinks we should go through education like he did when he was a child, and unfortunately that just doesn't work in this age.

Back