• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Joao Moutinho

I think the ship sailed on this one last August if there was any chance. Recent press seems to have us looking at alternative options with little to no mention of Moutinho.

I think the ship sailed on this one last August if there was any chance. Recent press seems to have us looking at alternative options with little to no mention of Moutinho.

I think AVB is very single minded.

Also, what alternatives have we been linked with? The main CM we've been linked with is McCarthy, who is a big lumbering destroyer to understudy Sandro.

Clasie and Roberto are the only two in any sense comparable to Moutinho who there have been tenuious links to.

Compare that to last summer when there were major links to the likes of Sahin and Cabeye.

McCarthy of Wigan is a box to box player, not really a destroyer at all. He's not a bad player actually. He just doesn't impose himself enough.

I think AVB is very single minded.

Also, what alternatives have we been linked with? The main CM we've been linked with is McCarthy, who is a big lumbering destroyer to understudy Sandro.

Clasie and Roberto are the only two in any sense comparable to Moutinho who there have been tenuious links to.

Compare that to last summer when there were major links to the likes of Sahin and Cabeye.

although he hasnt shown it yet, imo the club are hoping Holtby will turn into a Moutinho type player.

Just like Dembele started out as a wide attacking player who scored goals and made assists but no longer performs such a role, players are actually allowed to develop and adapt to new positions/roles as they mature. ;)

i think the Moutinho deal is completely dead, especially if Porto still insist on wanting over 20 mill for an almost 27 year old midfielder.

Moutinho ain't going to Chelsea. What other club can he go to?

Moutinho is more than good enough to significantly strengthen us, reportedly we were willing to break our transfer record for him. But he's not good enough to strengthen bigger teams or teams of similar quality to ourselves?

There are plenty of teams he could go to, I think he would strengthen every team in the Premiership. Chelsea, City, United and Arsenal included.

If he's the best value for money for those clubs, and for ourselves that's a different questions. He will be expensive, and that might mean that clubs will go for other players instead.

The thing about this transfer is that every time I have seen him play since we were linked to him (not many times to be fair) he hasn't been impressive at all. Now it could just be the games I happened to catch but I am distinctly underwhelmed by him.

Moutinho is more than good enough to significantly strengthen us, reportedly we were willing to break our transfer record for him. But he's not good enough to strengthen bigger teams or teams of similar quality to ourselves?

There are plenty of teams he could go to, I think he would strengthen every team in the Premiership. Chelsea, City, United and Arsenal included.

If he's the best value for money for those clubs, and for ourselves that's a different questions. He will be expensive, and that might mean that clubs will go for other players instead.

I think people are misunderstanding my point.
If you are at an auction and nobody else is bidding you don’t keep upping your bid.
I am not discussing how good Moutinho is (that is a matter of opinion anyway) OR how well he would do at other clubs. I am certainly not interested in discussing whether he is AM or DM.
I am merely putting forward my POV that nobody else is after him with any seriousness but us.

The thing about this transfer is that every time I have seen him play since we were linked to him (not many times to be fair) he hasn't been impressive at all. Now it could just be the games I happened to catch but I am distinctly underwhelmed by him.

I think he is a bit of a "what does he do" player, but a kind of player we've desperately lacked this season. Not saying we should sign him for £20m+ as I'm not entirely sure he's exactly what we need, but we do need someone with some of his abilities on the ball to knit our play together.

I think people are misunderstanding my point.
If you are at an auction and nobody else is bidding you don’t keep upping your bid.
I am not discussing how good Moutinho is (that is a matter of opinion anyway) OR how well he would do at other clubs. I am certainly not interested in discussing whether he is AM or DM.
I am merely putting forward my POV that nobody else is after him with any seriousness but us.

You have no way of knowing what clubs are after him or not. Did you expect or predict the previous big money moves away from Porto? Players like Hulk, Falcao and Alves went for massive money. As far as I can remember they weren't linked to those clubs in the media for months and months before that. There have been some rumours, but we have no idea what's going on behind the scenes.

How good he is is clearly relevant, as is his best position. Since you asked what clubs he could go to, how could this not be relevant for that discussion?

If you're at an auction with the winning bid you don't up your bid, I don't think we have a winning bid in for Moutinho at the moment, do you?

I think he is a bit of a "what does he do" player, but a kind of player we've desperately lacked this season. Not saying we should sign him for £20m+ as I'm not entirely sure he's exactly what we need, but we do need someone with some of his abilities on the ball to knit our play together.

You have no way of knowing what clubs are after him or not. Did you expect or predict the previous big money moves away from Porto? Players like Hulk, Falcao and Alves went for massive money. As far as I can remember they weren't linked to those clubs in the media for months and months before that. There have been some rumours, but we have no idea what's going on behind the scenes.

How good he is is clearly relevant, as is his best position. Since you asked what clubs he could go to, how could this not be relevant for that discussion?

If you're at an auction with the winning bid you don't up your bid, I[B] don't think we have a winning bid in for Moutinho at the moment, do you?[/B]

He was on the verge of signing for us. I think there is a very strong chance he will sign for us. He and Leandro are the only 2 players I hold strong belief will sign for us.
But it ain't a big deal if I am wrong and I put forward my POV more for others to suggest alternative clubs. So far just Chelsea and IMO he has no chance whatsoever of going to Chelsea.
As to how good he is-if that's what you want to talk about go ahead and enjoy!

Tbh it's the same criticism Carrick has faced his whole career. And there was the whole 'Modric, he doesn't get assists' phalanx.

I think Moutinho is the kind of player you have to watch quite a bit of to appreciate. To notice things like how much he sees of the ball, and how intelligently (if not always that spectacularly) he uses it.

He was on the verge of signing for us. I think there is a very strong chance he will sign for us. He and Leandro are the only 2 players I hold strong belief will sign for us.
But it ain't a big deal if I am wrong and I put forward my POV more for others to suggest alternative clubs. So far just Chelsea and IMO he has no chance whatsoever of going to Chelsea.

All i've seen recently is paper talk. There is nothing conclusive that we are in for Moutinho this summer either.

If you are going to assume we are in due to paper talk, you have to assume others are in for the same reason.

yeah i dont understand why Moutinho has not moved to one of the bigger clubs in europe until now

he is almost 27, never left Portugal, and i wonder why Mourinho chose to spend over 30 mill on Modric when he could have got his countryman for less. Why didnt AVB go in big for him when he couldnt get Modric at Chelsea. The same goes for Man Utd who were sniffing around Modric, were rejected, but chose to do nothing when they could easily have bought Moutinho

similar players, and yet one was hugely in demand and the other completely rejected :-k

Tbh it's the same criticism Carrick has faced his whole career. And there was the whole 'Modric, he doesn't get assists' phalanx.

I think Moutinho is the kind of player you have to watch quite a bit of to appreciate. To notice things like how much he sees of the ball, and how intelligently (if not always that spectacularly) he uses it.

Yeah it could be that, but I think in this case he just played poorly when I was watching. There was no hiding that fact. I'm a big fan of Carrick and his modus operandi so if he turns out like that then I'll be delighted. But on the other hand if he turns out like 'Jenas, what does he do?' then I won't. Anyway I trust Andre knows him best.

Aside I saw Ibrahimovic play about a dozen games of pure dross before I saw one good one. I couln't believe the praise he was getting but as it turns out he's OK after all.

Chelsea, City, United, PSG, Monaco, Russian clubs, Malaga if their financial backers get back in the game, possibly one of the Italian clubs.

His price tag might just keep him at Porto though, wouldn't be the first time they managed to keep hold of a one of their best players.

yeah i dont understand why Moutinho has not moved to one of the bigger clubs in europe until now

he is almost 27, never left Portugal, and i wonder why Mourinho chose to spend over 30 mill on Modric when he could have got his countryman for less. Why didnt AVB go in big for him when he couldnt get Modric at Chelsea. The same goes for Man Utd who were sniffing around Modric, were rejected, but chose to do nothing when they could easily have bought Moutinho

similar players, and yet one was hugely in demand and the other completely rejected :-k

Hulk moved a year ago when he was 25, Falcao moved to Athletico when he was 25.

Bruno Alves was in his late twenties I believe.

Porto, thanks to seemingly being very good at contract negotiations as well as player development and with them being in a very sound financial situation is quite frequently able to hold on to their best players. Everyone knows that they will sell, but everyone knows that they will demand massive money for their players.

None of those clubs signed Dembele or Vertonghen either. They've been very useful for us. I rated Modric very highly, I wouldn't be surprised if Moutinho isn't quite as good as him. That might just mean that he's not worth what Porto want for him.

We are still being linked with Moutinho ? Don't think we will go back for him. We rarely go back for players we have tried and failed previously.

Back