• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Jan Vertonghen

Re: Jan Vertonghen official

[video=youtube;GRz4FY0ZcwI]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GRz4FY0ZcwI[/video]

He's more than a bird
He's more than a plane
He's our own Superman of the Lane
It's so easy for J Veeeeee

Thats got potential, but that would mean having a crowd actually sing a song that involved some thought. Not gonna happen.

you're right, the standard of those curry jokes is simply phaal

I thought Verts was excellent today, looked like our greatest goal threat. I was tempted to stick a tenner on him for first to score and after today, I think I will as long as he is starting at LB and has good odds.

Quick question, does Benny walk back into his spot, or is LB Vert's now?

Quick question, does Benny walk back into his spot, or is LB Vert's now?

good question - my guess is BAE has to wait now to earn his place back. Good thing about Vertonghen is he is primarily a central defender which means once Gallas or Caulker pick up a knock he slots in there. Cover for positions from players who play in more than one position - genius.

Wasn't one of the reasons for him choosing us because we would primarily play him at CB? Or am I just making that up?

If true, he seems like the sort of guy that doesn't have an issue with covering positions, but ultimately I would imagine he would go back to CB and one of the other defenders dropping to the bench.

good question - my guess is BAE has to wait now to earn his place back. Good thing about Vertonghen is he is primarily a central defender which means once Gallas or Caulker pick up a knock he slots in there. Cover for positions from players who play in more than one position - genius.
We certainly do have a defensive headache on our hands when everyone is fit again...Caulker, Vertonghen and Kaboul cant all play, so who do we drop?

Thinking that with our new defensive unit, combined with Lloris & Sandro that we will start keeping a lot more clean sheets.

Vertonghen has been awesome at left back. Perhaps not defensively solid, bit verts and bale look like they've played together for years.

With Verts in the side, we seem to have switched our left/ right side balance.
Walker had more of a license to bomb forward while Benny was in, and now its Jan he Man.
This means that when Bale cuts in we still have an offensive outlet on the left.
As Bale cuts in more than Lenny, this is good.

He has the ability to be the best CB in Europe and that is where he should play once Benny is fit.

Based on what he's seen this season, I'd be surprised if AVB particularly rates BAE to be honest.....

As much as I love Vertonghen at left back, I do not want to see him there full time. At centre back he should be, you need a centre half to be composed under pressure, good distribution from the back, a good all round footballer. Vertonghen is that, he is EXACTLY what we need at centre half.

Funnily enough though, Caulker actually ticks some of those boxes too. I do wonder though with Walker's current form if we could ever possibly see:

Kaboul - Gallas - Caulker - Vertonghen

As much as I love Vertonghen at left back, I do not want to see him there full time. At centre back he should be, you need a centre half to be composed under pressure, good distribution from the back, a good all round footballer. Vertonghen is that, he is EXACTLY what we need at centre half.

Funnily enough though, Caulker actually ticks some of those boxes too. I do wonder though with Walker's current form if we could ever possibly see:

Kaboul - Gallas - Caulker - Vertonghen

Although Gallas' leadership is not to be underestimated I think he's more likely to be dropped than Walker. Also think Naughton will threaten the RB position eventually....

Back