• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Jan Vertonghen

Re: Jan Vertonghen official

Jan and Kaboul should be the CB pairing for me when they are both fit. Gallas and Caulker to step in when either are not available.

Who, though should be our RB back up ? Naughton. I think Gallas has been used there when Naughton was in the LB position.

For RB back up ? Naughton or Jan ? Hmmm. To be fair, AvB has had to juggle this as we have no other naturally left footed player, apart from Bale. Actually, I'd rather see Bale at LB overlapping Naughton in midfield, but I doubt that'd happen.

Much as its been great seeing one of the young guns claim a place in the 1st team. I agree when fully fit it should be Kaboul and Vertonghen at CB, with Caulker,Dawson and Gallas as the back-up.
Walker and Naughton can fight out the RB slot. If Rose is not going to figure in future plans, maybe a back-up LB could be looked at in the next window

Dammit, mistyped, I meant Jan or Naughton as LB back up, Bale possibly at LB to overlap if we put someone at left midfield instead of Bale.

We all enjoy a home grown player, but you've got to be kidding that Caulker is better than Kaboul....

Don't get me wrong, I do like Kaboul, but I also feel he's a little bit overrated by some of our fans, Ekotto syndrome I call it. His tendancy to bomb forward ala Vermaelen worries me.

I genuinely can't believe you've come up with that comparison and stuck it on Kaboul, can you not see what is wrong there? Which player is this thread about again?

Kaboul has become a monster defender, looked a clear first choice before his injury.
I'd like us to keep the following pool of defenders:

Assou-Ekotto, Vertonghen, Kaboul, Walker
Rose, Caulker, Dawson, Smith

He's played CB what, 3 times? I don't see how you've come to that conclusion.
I agree, we have to wait and see how he will do at CB in the PL. He looks great at CB in the Europa League but frankly, he should look good at that standard. In the opening couple of home games he looked a bit flat footed and lacking strength/pace. He's looked miles better since he moved to LB but that has probably given him an ideal opportunity to get used to the league. I think he'll be very good when he moves back to the centre but maybe not the world beater that people think.

Last edited:

Enough to see that he's a class defender.

You've never seen Kaboul bomb forward.

depends how long rossi has been watching tottenham, if he was as interested back when we first bought him then he would know that not only did kaboul love to bomb forward at any given opportunity but he was the first CB i have ever seen to overlap BOTH his full back and wide midfielder from a build up play from the back in our defensive third

crazy brick

but it should also be said that he has curbed this alot since his come back to us

depends how long rossi has been watching tottenham, if he was as interested back when we first bought him then he would know that not only did kaboul love to bomb forward at any given opportunity but he was the first CB i have ever seen to overlap BOTH his full back and wide midfielder from a build up play from the back in our defensive third

crazy brick

but it should also be said that he has curbed this alot since his come back to us

Kaboul was a completely different player that first time with us, it was like he thought he'd been told he was a box to box midfielder or something, he was out of position at almost every point. Really effected Dawson that period as well, he was basically a lone CB trying to mark 2 strikers!

The re-incarnation of Kaboul however is a totally different player, he always had the tools to be a top class CB but just the footballing brain of a 12 year old, that's been rectified now.

Don't get me wrong, I do like Kaboul, but I also feel he's a little bit overrated by some of our fans, Ekotto syndrome I call it. His tendancy to bomb forward ala Vermaelen worries me.

What concerns me with both Kaboul and Ekotto is that whilst are both excellent footballers for defenders, neither of them are that good at reading the game and their concentration levels are often lacking. That's fine if you're playing a standard playing style with a holder in front of them, but if they are asked to play a high line then they may struggle.

But both are excellent technical players and defenders and hopefully my fears are unfounded. I especially can't wait to see Ekotto back in the team because he gives us that outball at the back.

haven't seen verts at CB but seen alot of Kaboul. not sure who's better as while Kaboul is certainly more than competent, he does have his deficits. that's where verts comes in, and both of them have got the potential to become the best CB pairing in the EPL, especially with loris behind them. now how do we get rid of gallas?

I see Kaboul as being better than Vertonghen at just about everything other than Vertonghen is better on the ball.

I see Kaboul as being better than Vertonghen at just about everything other than Vertonghen is better on the ball.

Verts is a better defensive header when under no pressure. Kaboul's defensive headers are really poor, and he skies most of them when he isn't being challenged for the ball. Strangely when he does have someone challenging him he tends to do better with his headers....

Kaboul was a completely different player that first time with us, it was like he thought he'd been told he was a box to box midfielder or something, he was out of position at almost every point. Really effected Dawson that period as well, he was basically a lone CB trying to mark 2 strikers!

The re-incarnation of Kaboul however is a totally different player, he always had the tools to be a top class CB but just the footballing brain of a 12 year old, that's been rectified now.

its funny you mention this. but i know exactly what you mean but i have this nasty habit of not letting go of history. what kaboul did back then is so fresh in my ,memory it actually affects my judgement of him NOW.

for instance i think that Kaboul and caulker together could be a nightmare partnership.

i dont know how good verts is in his discipline and organisation of the back line....if he is good then he might be a good fit with kaboul..if not then bad news

basically i only feel safe with kaboul when he plays next to king or dawson. i used to think of gallas like this but even i have to say that misfortune and untimely errors are following him like a bad smell

No, Kaboul is. He's also our best defender, and one of the main reasons why we have struggling to keep leads this season. He's so composed at the back, a fantastic player.

really?

i dont think so personally. but lets see how he fares when he gets back. cause like i said right now i would sweat with him being the guy next to caulker....not sure about verts and him , and gallas is likely to suck kaboul into the vortex of mistakes anyway..so that could be dodgy.

What concerns me with both Kaboul and Ekotto is that whilst are both excellent footballers for defenders, neither of them are that good at reading the game and their concentration levels are often lacking. That's fine if you're playing a standard playing style with a holder in front of them, but if they are asked to play a high line then they may struggle.

But both are excellent technical players and defenders and hopefully my fears are unfounded. I especially can't wait to see Ekotto back in the team because he gives us that outball at the back.

agree fully on kaboul but not BAE..i think motivation and focus is all BAE needs to put in world class performances

Back