• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Jan Vertonghen

Re: Jan Vertonghen official

For me you have to play Vertonghen at CB. I've never been Ekottos biggest fan and always thought it would be relatively easy to upgrade though.

Walker--Kaboul--Vertonghen--Ekotto

Caulker as first back up Gallas for the big games. Dawson as and when... unfortunately.

I'd even be tempted to play Caulker ahead of Kaboul, but maybe that's too much too soon

For me you have to play Vertonghen at CB. I've never been Ekottos biggest fan and always thought it would be relatively easy to upgrade though.

Walker--Kaboul--Vertonghen--Ekotto

Caulker as first back up Gallas for the big games. Dawson as and when... unfortunately.

I'd even be tempted to play Caulker ahead of Kaboul, but maybe that's too much too soon

You can't bring Gallas in for 'the big games' and then revert back to verts/Kaboul what kind of consistency is that??

Pairings for me should be Gallas/Caulker (Gallas being the experience to help Caulker) or Vert/Kaboul (once Kaboul is back fit, btw, that would be quite a quick CB pair).

Dawson being the backup, and probably cup game player, especially for long trips away against physical opponents.

Liking Vert's threat/freedom at LB, think Benny has work to do before walking back into side.

yeah Dawson should stay if he's willing to sit on the bench. Will be Gallas last year anyhow. Jan for captain - when?

According to the Premier League Vertonghen's goal against Man Utd is now officially an own-goal. Harsh.

According to the Premier League Vertonghen's goal against Man Utd is now officially an own-goal. Harsh.
How is that possible? It was clearly on target, possibly going in anyway. If I was Vertonghen I'd be furious. It will always be Vertonghen's goal for me.

Jan Vertonghen turned down a move to Arsenal after hearing that Arsene Wenger wanted to deploy him in midfield, the Tottenham player has revealed.

Vertonghen joined Spurs from Ajax this summer and has gone on to become a fans' favourite after a series of excellent displays for Andre Villas-Boas' team.

The Belgian started his White Hart Lane career as a centre-back but soon moved over to left-back - the position he plays in for his country - after an injury to Benoit Assou-Ekotto.

Gunners manager Wenger, who is under pressure after Arsenal's poor start to the campaign, was interested in signing Vertonghen, but the 25-year-old instead opted to move to the Gunners' north London rivals after it became clear that the Frenchman wanted him to play in midfield.

'(Arsenal's interest) was concrete, but they wanted me to be a controller in the midfield, an Emmanuel Petit-type,' Vertonghen told Dutch website NUsport.

'I'm not afraid of competition, but the overall picture of Spurs appealed to me more.'

Spurs manager Villas-Boas initially moved Gareth Bale to left-back following Assou-Ekotto's injury, but Vertonghen has been a more effective solution during the Cameroonian's absence.

With Assou-Ekotto now back in full training following his three-month lay-off, Vertonghen looks set to return to the heart of the defence, much to his delight.

He added: 'Ultimately, I just came to play at centre back. Gareth Bale had to play left back, but it did not work so he pushed forward and I moved to full-back.

'I see myself still as a centre-back. I'm not agile enough to play against players like Nani and (Raheem) Sterling.'

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-2247700/Tottenhams-Jan-Vertonghen-snubbed-Arsenal-Arsene-Wenger-planned-play-midfield.html

Jan Vertonghen turned down a move to Arsenal after hearing that Arsene Wenger wanted to deploy him in midfield, the Tottenham player has revealed.

Vertonghen joined Spurs from Ajax this summer and has gone on to become a fans' favourite after a series of excellent displays for Andre Villas-Boas' team.

The Belgian started his White Hart Lane career as a centre-back but soon moved over to left-back - the position he plays in for his country - after an injury to Benoit Assou-Ekotto.

Gunners manager Wenger, who is under pressure after Arsenal's poor start to the campaign, was interested in signing Vertonghen, but the 25-year-old instead opted to move to the Gunners' north London rivals after it became clear that the Frenchman wanted him to play in midfield.

'(Arsenal's interest) was concrete, but they wanted me to be a controller in the midfield, an Emmanuel Petit-type,' Vertonghen told Dutch website NUsport.

'I'm not afraid of competition, but the overall picture of Spurs appealed to me more.'

Spurs manager Villas-Boas initially moved Gareth Bale to left-back following Assou-Ekotto's injury, but Vertonghen has been a more effective solution during the Cameroonian's absence.

With Assou-Ekotto now back in full training following his three-month lay-off, Vertonghen looks set to return to the heart of the defence, much to his delight.

He added: 'Ultimately, I just came to play at centre back. Gareth Bale had to play left back, but it did not work so he pushed forward and I moved to full-back.

'I see myself still as a centre-back. I'm not agile enough to play against players like Nani and (Raheem) Sterling.'

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-2247700/Tottenhams-Jan-Vertonghen-snubbed-Arsenal-Arsene-Wenger-planned-play-midfield.html

Didn't some say they prefered him more than Ekotto at lb :ross:

The man himself doesn't want to play there.

Last edited:

Didn't some say they prefered him more than Ekotto at lb :ross:

The own man himself doesn't want to play there.

Vertonghen and Caulker should be the preferred pairing when everybody is fit. Although we would lose some height without Kaboul.

We really should do better this season against teams like Stoke as we've got some big units in our team now.

Vertonghen and Caulker should be the preferred pairing when everybody is fit. Although we would lose some height without Kaboul.

We really should do better this season against teams like Stoke as we've got some big units in our team now.

Not for me. Kaboul is still far and away our best CB now King's hung up his boots, he'll be immense in a few years. Kaboul/Vertonghen is my first choice pairing with Caulker as backup.

Caulker has performed well.

His place to lose For the time being.

Though having a more physical defender could come in handy from time to time.

Last edited:

Not for me. Kaboul is still far and away our best CB now King's hung up his boots, he'll be immense in a few years. Kaboul/Vertonghen is my first choice pairing with Caulker as backup.

Vertonghen is our best centre half IMO.

We all enjoy a home grown player, but you've got to be kidding that Caulker is better than Kaboul....

Jan and Kaboul should be the CB pairing for me when they are both fit. Gallas and Caulker to step in when either are not available.

Who, though should be our RB back up ? Naughton. I think Gallas has been used there when Naughton was in the LB position.

For RB back up ? Naughton or Jan ? Hmmm. To be fair, AvB has had to juggle this as we have no other naturally left footed player, apart from Bale. Actually, I'd rather see Bale at LB overlapping Naughton in midfield, but I doubt that'd happen.

Back