• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

ITK Thread

Benteke is too static again for our system. He only really works for a team that plays on the break.

There's also no way Levy is going to pay £20m for someone to understudy Kane. Benteke apparently has a lot less professional attitude than Ings (re likely to be getting limited game time)

No way is he a static player, his movement across the line is as good as any.

1) I don't think a target man works in our system. Ade's problem this season wasn't just his attitude, it was that he was just way too static (the same issue Balleteli and Lambert have in Liverpool's system). Kane is so right for us, because he's so mobile (as Ings is).

2) I wouldn't bother with a 3rd CF unless they could also be our second LWF (Rodriguez) or were a teenager. 3 senior players into 1 position doesn't really go)

1) I know I've asked before, but I just don't get what you're basing this on.

Lambert worked really well under Pochettino at Southampton. When Poch was at Southampton the only striker they signed was Osvaldo, perhaps not a true target man, but he's at least as target man-ish as he's mobile. Part of the reason Lambert hasn't worked out at Liverpool is that he simply hasn't been given enough time on the pitch. In fact I would be rather happy if we could snap up Lambert come the summer, him and Ings as replacements for Soldado and Adebayor would be great transfer business imo.

Pochettino picked Adebayor consistently until it just didn't work (seemingly not just because of the pitch performances). He picked Adebayor over Soldado ever so consistently. Soldado has essentially never been given a run by Poch, probably because he's not seen as a good fit.

Kane is mobile, but he's also certainly fairly big and strong. Not Benteke-esque strong, but a powerful player capable of battling with centre halves at least.

I see no evidence at all that Pochettino doesn't want or doesn't use a target man option. I also see no reason to think that his system doesn't work better with someone a bit big and strong up front. Aren't we looking to emulate Dortmund and Athletico at least to an extent? Lewandowski, Costa, Mandzukic. All great players, all more than just old fashioned target men, but all big and strong players capable of really battling with centre halves. In fact Lewandowski dominating the Real backline physically was one of the standout features when Dortmund beat Madrid. Simeone immediately replacing one big strong striker with another, when Klopp lost Lewandowski he signed Adrian Ramos and quite possibly the lack of physicality up after losing Lewandowski front as Ramos hasn't really worked out has been part of their problem this season.

2) It wouldn't be 3 senior players for 1 position though. You yourself say that both can play as a #9 and as an AM. And that Ings can play as a LWF. How does that add up to 2 players for one position? It's almost like saying that Lamela, Eriksen and Pritchard would be 3 senior players into 1 position because all of them can play as the central #10. Another striker in addition to Ings would give us 3 options for the lone striker position as well as plenty of options for the attacking midfield positions whilst keeping the door open for a 2 striker solution and making sure that we would have a striker on the bench even when someone was injured.

Benteke is too static again for our system. He only really works for a team that plays on the break.

There's also no way Levy is going to pay £20m for someone to understudy Kane. Benteke apparently has a lot less professional attitude than Ings (re likely to be getting limited game time)

You really seem to be keen on putting down one crappier post than the previous in your blind rush to try to denigrate Benteke

But your final claim takes the biscuit... seeing as you are digging yourself deeper in your football arguments, you decide to bring in the "unprofessional" Chinese whisper without a shred of substantiation.

You really seem to be keen on putting down one crappier post than the previous in your blind rush to try to denigrate Benteke

But your final claim takes the biscuit... seeing as you are digging yourself deeper in your football arguments, you decide to bring in the "unprofessional" Chinese whisper without a shred of substantiation.

Don't agree with GB on Benteke overall. But in terms of professionalism on the pitch Ings looks head and shoulders above Benteke. Benteke has always looked a bit adequate at best with his work rate from what I've seen, whilst Ings has a work rate that is absolutely superb. Not sure if that transfers to professional attitude overall like GB seems to imply, but worth mentioning I think.

yeah im sure Levy would rather pay 5 mill for Ings than 15-25 mill for any one of Austin, Berahino or Benteke.

il_570xN.517235082_9iys.jpg

Benteke isn't static at all.... Did you watch his performance against us a few weeks ago? Also I see you have now made up something about Benteke's attitude and passed it off as fact.

Don't agree with GB on Benteke overall. But in terms of professionalism on the pitch Ings looks head and shoulders above Benteke. Benteke has always looked a bit adequate at best with his work rate from what I've seen, whilst Ings has a work rate that is absolutely superb. Not sure if that transfers to professional attitude overall like GB seems to imply, but worth mentioning I think.
Agree on the work rate, but the big question is; who do you want? The one that works his socks off running around, or the one that can change the game in a flash moment (on a regular basis) by banging in the goals. I chose the latter. It's all about having players with special expertise attributes, and utilizing it.

There were lots of accusations, especially Jan/Feb time that Benteke wasn't applying himself/thought he was too good to roll up his sleeves for the a relegation battle. Lambert was wheeled out a couple of times to defend him

There were lots of accusations, especially Jan/Feb time that Benteke wasn't applying himself/thought he was too good to roll up his sleeves for the a relegation battle. Lambert was wheeled out a couple of times to defend him

The lad was coming back from two major injuries, for goodness sake. Yet he still took us to the cleaners at their place until Mason mugged him

The lad was coming back from two major injuries, for goodness sake. Yet he still took us to the cleaners at their place until Mason mugged him

It would be so sexy to sell finally Ade and end up with Benteke

Two players who put together a 5-game run every 2 years whenever they fancy a new contract or a move

Agree on the work rate, but the big question is; who do you want? The one that works his socks off running around, or the one that can change the game in a flash moment (on a regular basis) by banging in the goals. I chose the latter. It's all about having players with special expertise attributes, and utilizing it.

Well, actually I want someone who does both. For these two options there's also the cost to consider.

I think we should continue to work towards implementing Pochettino's pressing style. For me at least that means that there's a minimum of work rate, stamina and defensive ability needed from all the players we sign. If Benteke fulfills this or not I honestly don't know.

You are a strangely prejudiced/prejudicial person GB. I actually feel sorry for your colleagues, you must be a demon at the water cooler!

I think Berahino's value has probably dropped since all the excitement over him earlier this year. As for the Ings and Kane combo, I'm not entirely sure they have had many minutes alongeside eachother for the England U21's. Both have been used as the #9 in a 433 and have probably only got time playing together when Southgate has switched things up. Berahino has/had played a lot of games as a wide forward on the left side of Kane, with Redmond (IIRC) playing on the right. That combo actually worked quite well too, with Berahino's pace and instincts to get forward seeing him getting free in the middle when Kane floated off to the flank or dropped deep.

On that basis, I'd rather see us chase Berahino as Ings would likely only come here for the #9 role and I don't think that Kane should drop deeper to accomodate, at least not in a starting lineup.

I think Berahino's value has probably dropped since all the excitement over him earlier this year. As for the Ings and Kane combo, I'm not entirely sure they have had many minutes alongeside eachother for the England U21's. Both have been used as the #9 in a 433 and have probably only got time playing together when Southgate has switched things up. Berahino has/had played a lot of games as a wide forward on the left side of Kane, with Redmond (IIRC) playing on the right. That combo actually worked quite well too, with Berahino's pace and instincts to get forward seeing him getting free in the middle when Kane floated off to the flank or dropped deep.

On that basis, I'd rather see us chase Berahino as Ings would likely only come here for the #9 role and I don't think that Kane should drop deeper to accomodate, at least not in a starting lineup.

You have applied facts and logic here to come up with a valid answer... Worrying

Ings comes in when Kane doesn't start mostly

I also have seen nothing if Ings game that makes me think he can play as a wide forward. The lad is a centre forward and plays up front for a Burnley with Sam Vokes in a 4-4-2

Gutter Boy wants us to play Pochs preferred 42-3-1 which is fine but then Were better signing players who suit the system apnoea surely. ings could clearly adapt but so far I personally haven't seen him as anything other than a Kane alternative but I do rate him as a player.

I also rate Benteke and Berahino and think that 2 of the 3 in with Soldado and Ade out would be exceptional business

We won't sign Benteke, we wanted to, the summer we bought Soldado. The deal was too expensive. Considering how much we bought Soldado for, and the fact that Benteke signed a new 5 year deal at Villa that summer, I'll leave you guys to speculate on why we won't be signing Benteke any time soon.

I'd also add in that he is inconsistent. He has not managed to put a full season's worth of performances in for Villa yet.

You have applied facts and logic here to come up with a valid answer... Worrying

Ings comes in when Kane doesn't start mostly

I also have seen nothing if Ings game that makes me think he can play as a wide forward. The lad is a centre forward and plays up front for a Burnley with Sam Vokes in a 4-4-2

Gutter Boy wants us to play Pochs preferred 42-3-1 which is fine but then Were better signing players who suit the system apnoea surely. ings could clearly adapt but so far I personally haven't seen him as anything other than a Kane alternative but I do rate him as a player.

I also rate Benteke and Berahino and think that 2 of the 3 in with Soldado and Ade out would be exceptional business

Poch doesn't have a preferred formation.

He played 2 upfront at Espanyol and Southampton.

Poch doesn't have a preferred formation.

He played 2 upfront at Espanyol and Southampton.

Can't comment on espanyol but he hardly ever played two up front at Southampton when I saw them.

They only had lambert as centre forward there plus osvaldo briefly

Rodriguez played as a wide forward in the mould GB has described many times in the past

I'm happy to be correctd but I certainly saw them as a 4-2-3-1 side last season

Back