• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

iPhone 5 - to be announced today

Have you looked into that law suit properly? Its been goin on for years and Apple have lost most of their cases. Also Apple have been accused by Samsung in the past of the same thing.
The only reason this one made the news was coz of the huge amount of money involved... Which Samsung have appealed so havent yet paid a penny. Apple lost the same case in Japan and Europe and a UK judge ordered Apple to make a statement on their website that Samsung did NOT copy the iPad.

The comment about Samsungs being a cheap Apple knock off tells me you've never used one. You generally find that with Apple fan boys. They preach the holy word of Steve Jobs and tell you how awesome Apple products are without even looking at the competition.

I've owned an iPhone and I loved it. My only gripe was you have to pay for EVERYTHING and it has to be through the AppStore or iTunes... No drag and drop allowed. No Ringtones allowed. No changing your text tone... All stuff I could do on my older phones. I also dont like the fact the battery is not removable so should it pack up then you need a new phone instead of 6 quid for a new batt. Also no SD card slot. I could only afford the 8GB iPhone so I was constantly having to delete music and apps.
But apart from that it was a fantastic bit of tech. Yes I know you can "jail break" your phone to bypass all the above, but why should I have to hack my phone to make it work? It should work out of the box

I switched to Samsung Galaxy 2 after 1 an hlf yrs of iPhone. First thing I noticed was the freedom I had to change ringtones, download free music and of course the huge amount of free apps on android. But again, its personal preferance. It does what I want a phone to do. Ive since upgraded to the Note with its bigger screen and the addition of a stylus its perfect for me.

Ive got no problem with people buying Apple products or owning/wanting an iPhone because they are good bits of kit... But they are not the be all and end all that some will try to make you believe. Nor are Samsung or HTC or any other phone for that matter. They all offer their own pros and cons. My issue is with the religeous-like fanboys that follow this company like a cult. Theyll preach the products to everyone almost asif they work for Apple. And should you own anything else you'll get told "its brick".

You do realise that you can change your ringtone using iTunes? It really isn't that difficult.

iPhone-10.jpeg

You do realise that you can change your ringtone using iTunes? It really isn't that difficult.

Yeah 99p for 30secs of a song right? And I also know there was a way around it and you could make your own. Bt it was a complete arse about face way of doing t plus you needed a computer.
I had owned phones before iPhone was even on the scene where you could simply use a song in your catalogue as a ringtone. Just felt iPhone was a backwards step in that department as it made you pay otherwse u had to tinkle about on the conputer. You couldnt just use one of your songs

Lol

I like smaller phones. Someone at work has a phone and it's bloody enormous (think it's Samsung , might be wrong). It's almost as big as an iPad.

Probably the Note as thats bout the biggest (5.3" screen). Alot of people say "christ your phone big enough mate" but my answer is yes. It was marketed as a phone cross tablet and I bought it so I could watch films on my breaks at work mainly. But I now use it for my sketches as with Sketchbook Pro and the Stylus I can get some great results (posted a few on here as it goes... The Hulk one for eg).
I tried going back to a "normal" size phone but find them too small now lol.
Heard the Note 2 is even bigger at 5.5" but I think any bigger than that is too much

Yeah 99p for 30secs of a song right? And I also know there was a way around it and you could make your own. Bt it was a complete arse about face way of doing t plus you needed a computer.
I had owned phones before iPhone was even on the scene where you could simply use a song in your catalogue as a ringtone. Just felt iPhone was a backwards step in that department as it made you pay otherwse u had to tinkle about on the conputer. You couldnt just use one of your songs

As you alluded to, you can do it using iTunes for free.

I agree some of the products in the apple store are over priced. If I wanted to buy a laptop carry case/bag for my macbook pro, I'd just buy one on amazon.

Probably the Note as thats bout the biggest (5.3" screen). Alot of people say "christ your phone big enough mate" but my answer is yes. It was marketed as a phone cross tablet and I bought it so I could watch films on my breaks at work mainly. But I now use it for my sketches as with Sketchbook Pro and the Stylus I can get some great results (posted a few on here as it goes... The Hulk one for eg).
I tried going back to a "normal" size phone but find them too small now lol.
Heard the Note 2 is even bigger at 5.5" but I think any bigger than that is too much

Fair enough. That's what some people can't quite seem to grasp, people buy phones for different purposes that suit THEM.

No - having many is beneficial to the end user - no one (as far as I can tell) is disputing that.

However - all of them producing identical looking products would be somewhat bland . . .

Imagine all cars looked like a Golf

Like I said you clearly haven't used one if you believe them to be identical. The similarities end at they are both touch screens and both have front and back cameras... iPhone was NOT the first touch screen nor was it the first to have front and back cameras, nor was it the first black phone.

Please list everything Samsung has copied... If indeed you actually know?
Also explain why Apple haven't gone after anyone else... HTC is touch screen as is Sony Xperia range and the Nexus. So why just Samsung? Because they consider them the biggest competition maybe? Dont Apple like competition? They just wanna pump out a yearly update with minimal changes that everyone will rush out to buy becaused they've sued the ass off the competition...
Sound familiar? Yearly minimal updates... COD anyone?

Fair enough. That's what some people can't quite seem to grasp, people buy phones for different purposes that suit THEM.

Ive said that many times. Personal preferance. Ive no issue with iPhones or iPhone users. They are good phones. Not the best IMO but good. My issues with the numpties that ram Apple down your throat without even acknowledging the competition.
Im not Samsung fanboy. I dont own other Samsung products because of the brand (altho i wouldnt mind their high end TVs but too expensive) I would consider other phones come the time Im due an upgrade... Thats the difference.

Like I said you clearly haven't used one if you believe them to be identical. The similarities end at they are both touch screens and both have front and back cameras...

I have used number of their products for comparison purposes - the proof is in the pudding, really. I'm not sure what you do for a living but industrial deisgn and development is possibly not your strongest suit if you only differentiate phones/products by overall colour and shape - please, I don't mean that in a derogatory manner.

iPhone was NOT the first touch screen nor was it the first to have front and back cameras, nor was it the first black phone.

No it wasn't - but it was a specific 'package' which revolutionarised that specific mobile phone segment.

The timeline says it all - none of you can answer why any of these innocent companies didn't come out first with any of these original products which they had seeimngly coming all along.

Ive said that many times. Personal preferance. Ive no issue with iPhones or iPhone users. They are good phones. Not the best IMO but good. My issues with the numpties that ram Apple down your throat without even acknowledging the competition.
Im not Samsung fanboy. I dont own other Samsung products because of the brand (altho i wouldnt mind their high end TVs but too expensive) I would consider other phones come the time Im due an upgrade... Thats the difference.

A lot of people simply can't be arsed to switch phones and have to change number, and then send hundreds of texts out to your contacts.

A lot of people simply can't be arsed to switch phones and have to change number, and then send hundreds of texts out to your contacts.

Sorry but no one has to switch numbers any more ever. You can always get a pak code when exiting contract (needed to transfer number) and in fact asking for one increases your chances of negotiating a better deal with existing provider. When you say pak code you go through to the people with real deal making clout.

I'm absolutely loving the debate that this thread has started, as always with an Apple thread you get the people that buy apple products and defend them and the people that hate apple coming in to slate them. Neither will ever change the others mind but it's fun to watch anyway. :)

I don't hate Apple, nor do I favorite them (I have no favorites except Sony, but that's only when it comes to consoles, and I love the Xbox), but I own Apple products and have no trouble admitting it when it's a good product. For me the product matters, not who made it, but that's very different from how it is for Apple followers. If it isn't Apple then it isn't good enough, simple as. I don't mind whether it's a Samsung, Nokia, Blackberry or HTC, as long as I get the quality and the specs that I want.

The reason I have an iPhone is that I like the size of it, I like the OS (although it could do with a refresh), once Jailbroken I can do everything I want with it. I have an Apple TV so I can use it with that.

Buy a WD TV and then you can choose whatever phone to use it with. There are other options, this isn't the easiest or cheapest just because it's the most obvious.

I looked at Android and for the most part they feel a bit plasticy and cheap. I don't want an enormous screen so the Galaxy phones and many others are out and my brother and wife both have iPhones so connecting to them is easier with an iPhone.

Well, if other phone companies used glass and metal they'd be victims of Apples favorite spare time activity: LAWSUITS! I guess that they'll soon try to patent 'ideas' and 'evolution'. But just because it's made of plastic doesn't necessarily mean that it's cheaper or lesser in quality.
Also, why is it so much easier for people with iPhones to stay in touch? Phones that uses Android has many different apps to suit your needs, if not then you could always go for the old SMS or a mail.

I won't consider switching from an iPhone for a very long time, simply due to the fact that I am very much in their ecosystem. If Android is better, that's cool, but it's going to take too much effort to switch to an Android handset.

Re: Apple's new cables. Why do people think this means everyone has to rush out and buy one? You only need one if you get an iPhone 5, and even then they come in the box. You may need to buy an adapter so your old speaker system or whatever fits the iPhone, but that's technology isnt it. Why not just keep your previous generation phone as a dedicated speaker system? Set it up on your home network so your have control of it everywhere in your house.

No it wasn't - but it was a specific 'package' which revolutionarised that specific mobile phone segment.

The timeline says it all - none of you can answer why any of these innocent companies didn't come out first with any of these original products which they had seeimngly coming all along.

I think that is what a lot of people object to. Apple are using lawsuits over the patents to protect the package, when none of the components of the package are innovative and their patent claims are questionable. They are trying to use the courts to determine market share rather than letting consumer choice determine the best phone.

Apple are using lawsuits over the patents to protect the package, when none of the components of the package are innovative and their patent claims are questionable.

Let me put it to you this way

Do you think if we built our new satidum 95% identical to Wembley - Sir Norman Foster wouldn't 'question' the design team?

Do you think if we built our new satidum 95% identical to Wembley - Sir Norman Foster wouldn't 'question' the design team?

Have you looked at our design mock ups and the emirates. And 95%?! Come on if it was 95% the same I would simply stuck with the iPhone... Gross exageration.

Has Sir Norman a patent on Wembley?

Has he sues the Emirates for using a rectangular pitch and stands with round edges?

samsungs new tablet, apparently apple haven't taken a frivolous patent out on triangles with curved edges yet!

Triangle-tablet.jpg

Attachments

• That%u00252BTriangle-Shaped%2BTablet%2BFrom%2B%25E2%2580%259CThe%2BOffice%25E2%2580%259D%2B%25E2.jpg
    That%u00252BTriangle-Shaped%2BTablet%2BFrom%2B%25E2%2580%259CThe%2BOffice%25E2%2580%259D%2B%25E2.jpg
    20.8 KB · Views: 5
Last edited:
Back