• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

iPhone 5 - to be announced today

The iPhone 5 seems more like a 4S...S. Nothing revolutionary just a few minor tweeks here and there. Looks the same, will practically operate the same.
Phones are of course personal preference but I simply dont understand how Apple seems to be almost a cult religion. Where people who own a 4S will go queue up for the 5 just to be the first to own it.
If your due an upgrade then fair enough but otherwise your rushing out to buy the same phone you already own just coz it has a few extra tweeks and is lighter... Most of those tweeks are software related anyway so surely a software update on your 4S would give you near enough an iPhone 5.

Its the reason Im not rushing out to pre order the Galaxy Note 2 as although its faster than my Note and has many new features, its still pretty much the same phone. I'll still have the same experience. So might aswel wait till my upgrade next yr. But atleast I can buy a spare battery if the battery life is as crap as the iPhones ;) hehe. And an SD card should I use all my Hard Drive space.... Come on Apple keep up ;)

I often find many iPhone owners also own iPads or Macbooks, etc. And therefor wont make the switch to another phone as all their other tech is Apple so it all syncs together.

Something you dont really find with other brands. Ive not gone out and bought a Samsung TV or Samsung washing machine so I can Blutooth it to do my washing or any of that nonsense.

I often find many iPhone owners also own iPads or Macbooks, etc. And therefor wont make the switch to another phone as all their other tech is Apple so it all syncs together.

Something you dont really find with other brands. Ive not gone out and bought a Samsung TV or Samsung washing machine so I can Blutooth it to do my washing or any of that nonsense.

It's a major benefit for sure. I love that I can take a photo on my iPhone and it automatically appears on my iPad / Mac.

Little things, but it all adds up to a good experience. And it's easy, which is the main reason they're popular.

The iCloud was Apple's answer to Google's cloud-based everything that had been around since the beginning of Android. All you needed was a Google account, with your own Gmail email address, and you have your Google calendar, Google contacts, Google Talk, free mobile tracking and everything else, and it was because of this that Apple had to make Mobile Me free and create the iCloud.

It's a major benefit for sure. I love that I can take a photo on my iPhone and it automatically appears on my iPad / Mac.

Little things, but it all adds up to a good experience. And it's easy, which is the main reason they're popular.

I can see the benefits for sure. Ive got an app for mine called AirSync where I can sync my phone using WiFi and not a USB. Never plugged my phone in the computer since I owned it... Handy. Even when it updated from Android 2.6 to Android 4.0 it was all done on the phone, no plugging in or syncing required, bonus

Some people just don't like Apple. My cousin for example is critical of every product they come out with: iPad= brick laptop, iPhone = brick, macbook pro = brick. He has a HTC phone, and a cracked one at that so it also blows the myth out of the water that all of Apple's products break easily whilst HTC and Samsung products are made of indestructible properties and wouldn't break even if you took a hatchet to it.

Such a dumb argument. How do you know an Android device would 'do more' for me? How do you even measure it? If you actually read posts in here, I explained just a few of the reasons I use an iPhone. One is because my whole family uses them - we all use Macs and so everyone can sync up all their data and it means that I can FaceTime / Skype and iMessage them for free wherever I am in the world. That's a pretty big deal to me. Now BBM, Android etc may be able to do that, but we use iPhones.

Can I please ask, why do you care what I use? How does it affect you? If anything, you should thank me for being a 'fan boy' as it will keep the price of your precious little device down.

This dingdong measuring contest that is mobile phones now is just stupid. As pointed out a page or two ago, it's a bit like the old Windows v Mac, PS3 v Xbox arguments. It's a very good thing we all have choice and we can make decisions to best suit our own lives.

Exactly. People will get a phone that suits THEM. People who want a phone for emails will get a blackberry. People who want a phone for apps will get the iPhone. As you pointed out, you get great usage out of facetime.

Here's an idea. If you don't like a product don't buy it. If other people like a product and want to buy it then let them. Shocking, I know. Seems that some people want to hate Apple more than they want to like another companies products, which kind of reminds me of how some Spurs fans think about Arsenal actually.

What Apple will replace cracked screens free of charge ????

Ive just cracked mine and its £50 to replace at some dodgy looking phone place

They will if its within your warrantee, if not try your luck mate, go into store or arrange a Genius bar appointment, make out you have every Apple product going, & that you'll be disappointed with Apple customer service if they cant replace it seeing as your a loyal customer.

Worked for a load of friends & family.

Here's an idea. If you don't like a product don't buy it. If other people like a product and want to buy it then let them. Shocking, I know. Seems that some people want to hate Apple more than they want to like another companies products, which kind of reminds me of how some Spurs fans think about Arsenal actually.

I don't hate Apple. I just think they charge ridiculous amounts for products which aren't worth it. I've just always liked Androids because they've been good and reasonably priced. What I don't like is how people feel the need to buy as much of the Apple store as possible, just because it looks cool, and allow this company to continue sticking these pricetags on their products.

If you guys want to buy it then go ahead, I'm not gonna stop you, but I will still say my opinion.

I don't hate Apple. I just think they charge ridiculous amounts for products which aren't worth it. I've just always liked Androids because they've been good and reasonably priced. What I don't like is how people feel the need to buy as much of the Apple store as possible, just because it looks cool, and allow this company to continue sticking these pricetags on their products.

If you guys want to buy it then go ahead, I'm not gonna stop you, but I will still say my opinion.

Android is the operating system. The phones that use this range from cheap to quite expensive (samsungs top phones as an example). The top range androids seem to be in line with the iphone. I like the samsung phones and like the iphone, both to me deserve to be at the top of mobile phone costs.

The ipad isn't overpriced at all, I actually think they could sell the bottom priced ones for at least £50 more. Motorola, Sony and Samsung initially tried to price their tablets at a higher cost than the equivalent ipad, only lowering it when they failed miserably to shift units.

The laptops and macs are good quality and not really priced higher than other brands. I bought a sony laptop for £1800 and it isn't as good as the apple laptop I bought for about £900, so other brands are charging very high prices as well.

I dont see any problem with the price. As you say, you are welcome to your opinion... but the fact is your impression of apple prices is quite different to the reality.

And what has it got to do with you if other people feel the need to buy the whole apple store ? They are good reliable products and some people like the latest technology. It certainly isn't apples fault if people want all of their latest products. This isn't unique to apple, people have always gone for brands they trust. Initially it was everyone wanting the latest Nokia. When I buy a new TV, I always tend to go for samsung without even bothering to look at other makes. One of my friends always gets Ford cars. I dont see what apple appear to have done wrong.

Android is the operating system. The phones that use this range from cheap to quite expensive (samsungs top phones as an example). The top range androids seem to be in line with the iphone. I like the samsung phones and like the iphone, both to me deserve to be at the top of mobile phone costs.

The ipad isn't overpriced at all, I actually think they could sell the bottom priced ones for at least £50 more. Motorola, Sony and Samsung initially tried to price their tablets at a higher cost than the equivalent ipad, only lowering it when they failed miserably to shift units.

The laptops and macs are good quality and not really priced higher than other brands. I bought a sony laptop for £1800 and it isn't as good as the apple laptop I bought for about £900, so other brands are charging very high prices as well.

I dont see any problem with the price. As you say, you are welcome to your opinion... but the fact is your impression of apple prices is quite different to the reality.

And what has it got to do with you if other people feel the need to buy the whole apple store ? They are good reliable products and some people like the latest technology. It certainly isn't apples fault if people want all of their latest products. This isn't unique to apple, people have always gone for brands they trust. Initially it was everyone wanting the latest Nokia. When I buy a new TV, I always tend to go for samsung without even bothering to look at other makes. One of my friends always gets Ford cars. I dont see what apple appear to have done wrong.

Well said.

The only thing that is over priced at Apple is the adapters and peripherals, as others have said in this thread. However, they're are areas that, with a bit of research, you can easily find a cheaper alternative.

Funny how Samsung users aren't sheep in your books. :rolleyes:

I take it you haven't seen the 1 billion USD lawsuit they just lost for doing what they do best - aren't you essentially then buying a cheap fake Korean Apple knock-off in the end? :lol:

You've stated your opinion numerous times in the thread already virtually repeating the same tag line over and over again - Apple is brick, sheep fanboys, etc. That is somewhat boring and largerly ignorant. If anything - you've demonstrated a considerable lack of understanding on the subject matter including some bizzare comments such as 'Android products' (I didn't know Android make phones), pricetag vs. quality, and the overall brand stigma.

We heard it. And quite frankly - I don't anyone here cares anymore. I most certainly don't.

It's an open market - people are free to spend their disposable income how they wish and on what they please.

I'm not sure you are (or anyone for that matter) in any sort of position to give advise on that, better yet pass on judgement on their actions. Some perefer to spending extra on quality goods, others are happy driving around in Asian cars and wearing TK Maxx socks.

Live and let die, fella.

Last edited:
Some perefer to spending extra on quality goods, others are happy driving around in Asian cars and wearing TK Maxx socks.

Live and let die, fella.

This is an often overlooked aspect of the phone market.

People will criticise a brand premium when it's applied to phones, but they won't when it's applied to cars or clothing. Audi make very good quality and reliable cars, yet every day people spend thousands more on a Mercedes or Jaguar because of a brand premium, if I wanted to wear Converse I could have spent about 10% of what I did on my last pair of trainers but I'd prefer to have a premium brand product. The phone market has moved way past being a "first to market" competition, all smart phones are almost identical (partly due to Apple's work) and now people will buy phones just as much because of what owning one says about the owner as they will because of what it does.

I have an iPhone because at the time I last upgraded HTC were the best (non Apple) manufacturers but still unreliable and plasticy and Windows phone was the only reliable (non Apple) OS which still required a huge amount of hacking to get to how I wanted it. My phone has to be working all the time so I couldn't be arsed with all the tinkling around WM6.5 required, leaving me with an iPhone as the only option.

I've yet to see anything from another manufacturer/OS that would make me switch. If I didn't have an iPhone, there'd be a lot to think about but there's certainly nothing out there that's different or impressive enough to make me switch.

The iPhone isn't for me but since the 4s its been a great phone for people who want a fast, reliable, small form factor phone, with quality screen and camera and plethora of apps, what's strange about that?

Personally i like a bigger screen for media, I like external sd cards for encrypted backups, media and transfers, I 'need' a removable battery, I like the multi tasking and widgets in Android and the sharing feature and more powerful system apps appeal to me.

It's personal preference and telling people they're stupid for buying one or the other is as ridiculous as walking up to someone in a restaurant and telling them they're dumb for getting pasta instead of steak.

I couldn't deal with an iPhone, too much of my phone is automated by tasker, too many apps don't have ios equivalents and widgets save me tons of time every day but how many people can be bothered to set all that up? I wish android had half of the aaa games ios does, it would be nice if updates were guaranteed to be reliable and if the ecosystem had a few bugs but they're trade offs I'm willing to take, and evidently lots of other people will.

The money argument is silly, they'll sell at what the market dictates and frankly if any company came along with a great, innovative phone which cost a fortune id still consider it.

It's purely about whether it's worth it to you and so much disappointment around android comes from people saying 'I can't afford an iPhone so I'll get one if these androids'. They inevitable decide that they may as well get as cheaper one as possible as they sales staff rarely have a clue about individual handsets as the turnover is so high, then 6 months they'll be harping on about how crap android is, after buying a piece of brick.

You get what you pay for and while there is a 'premium brand tax' on iPhone, every company would do the same if they could.

Back