• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

iPhone 5 - to be announced today

Funny how Samsung users aren't sheep in your books. :rolleyes:

I take it you haven't seen the 1 billion USD lawsuit they just lost for doing what they do best - aren't you essentially then buying a cheap fake Korean Apple knock-off in the end? :lol:

You've stated your opinion numerous times in the thread already virtually repeating the same tag line over and over again - Apple is brick, sheep fanboys, etc. That is somewhat boring and largerly ignorant. If anything - you've demonstrated a considerable lack of understanding on the subject matter including some bizzare comments such as 'Android products' (I didn't know Android make phones), pricetag vs. quality, and the overall brand stigma.

We heard it. And quite frankly - I don't anyone here cares anymore. I most certainly don't.

It's an open market - people are free to spend their disposable income how they wish and on what they please.

I'm not sure you are (or anyone for that matter) in any sort of position to give advise on that, better yet pass on judgement on their actions. Some perefer to spending extra on quality goods, others are happy driving around in Asian cars and wearing TK Maxx socks.

Live and let die, fella.

Have you looked into that law suit properly? Its been goin on for years and Apple have lost most of their cases. Also Apple have been accused by Samsung in the past of the same thing.
The only reason this one made the news was coz of the huge amount of money involved... Which Samsung have appealed so havent yet paid a penny. Apple lost the same case in Japan and Europe and a UK judge ordered Apple to make a statement on their website that Samsung did NOT copy the iPad.

The comment about Samsungs being a cheap Apple knock off tells me you've never used one. You generally find that with Apple fan boys. They preach the holy word of Steve Jobs and tell you how awesome Apple products are without even looking at the competition.

I've owned an iPhone and I loved it. My only gripe was you have to pay for EVERYTHING and it has to be through the AppStore or iTunes... No drag and drop allowed. No Ringtones allowed. No changing your text tone... All stuff I could do on my older phones. I also dont like the fact the battery is not removable so should it pack up then you need a new phone instead of 6 quid for a new batt. Also no SD card slot. I could only afford the 8GB iPhone so I was constantly having to delete music and apps.
But apart from that it was a fantastic bit of tech. Yes I know you can "jail break" your phone to bypass all the above, but why should I have to hack my phone to make it work? It should work out of the box.

I switched to Samsung Galaxy 2 after 1 an hlf yrs of iPhone. First thing I noticed was the freedom I had to change ringtones, download free music and of course the huge amount of free apps on android. But again, its personal preferance. It does what I want a phone to do. Ive since upgraded to the Note with its bigger screen and the addition of a stylus its perfect for me.

Ive got no problem with people buying Apple products or owning/wanting an iPhone because they are good bits of kit... But they are not the be all and end all that some will try to make you believe. Nor are Samsung or HTC or any other phone for that matter. They all offer their own pros and cons. My issue is with the religeous-like fanboys that follow this company like a cult. Theyll preach the products to everyone almost asif they work for Apple. And should you own anything else you'll get told "its brick".

I'm very happy for your choice and subsequent experience with your Samsung Galaxy S2, edgey. After all - it is the user who ultimately benefits from all this 'innovation' (and plagiarism)

As for your last paragraph - no one here is suggesting for a second Apple products are the be-all and end-all of all tech products - simply commenting on the ridiculous accusations, generalisation and border-line libellous statements of people who cannot accept the fact certain people enjoy certain products from a certain brand manufacturer and for some reason attach inferiority and tech-ignorance to that. They also feel the personal need to descend upon every tech thread and commence with 'branding'. Those in my books are as worse as the 'religious fanboys' you've described above - simply coming in from the other extreme - I'm sure you can understand that.

Potato. Tomato

r.e. lawsuit

Of course they will appeal - that is the natural thing to do in such cases but for me the writing is on the wall - as if ever proof was needed (for me personally, at least)!

Even so - you don't need an official judge's/jury's verdict to compare the items and judge for yourself - I think it's fairly self-explanatory

Here is a very simple question - if they were so ahead of the game and never 'referenced' their products and apparently had those in development for years prior

- Why didn't they release any of these products ahead of Apple but always followed suit and 'adapted' to the market

Last edited:
Allows you to install third-party apps on your phone/tablet

Personally I don't like it and have refrained from doing it

I always assumed makers developed apps for all formats (why wouldn't you?)

Are there good apps that aren't allowed on Apple then?

Apple don't allow/verify certain apps as per their 'guidelines' - hence the choice

Much of a muchness really - I personally see it as the equivalent of adding 'performance modifications' and idiotic after market rims to your brand new expensive motor - imrpoves very little fundamentally and if anything - dillutes the 'essence'. Personal preference, really - each to their own. I'm a purist in many aspects.

Have you looked into that law suit properly? Its been goin on for years and Apple have lost most of their cases. Also Apple have been accused by Samsung in the past of the same thing.
The only reason this one made the news was coz of the huge amount of money involved... Which Samsung have appealed so havent yet paid a penny. Apple lost the same case in Japan and Europe and a UK judge ordered Apple to make a statement on their website that Samsung did NOT copy the iPad.

The comment about Samsungs being a cheap Apple knock off tells me you've never used one. You generally find that with Apple fan boys. They preach the holy word of Steve Jobs and tell you how awesome Apple products are without even looking at the competition.

I've owned an iPhone and I loved it. My only gripe was you have to pay for EVERYTHING and it has to be through the AppStore or iTunes... No drag and drop allowed. No Ringtones allowed. No changing your text tone... All stuff I could do on my older phones. I also dont like the fact the battery is not removable so should it pack up then you need a new phone instead of 6 quid for a new batt. Also no SD card slot. I could only afford the 8GB iPhone so I was constantly having to delete music and apps.
But apart from that it was a fantastic bit of tech. Yes I know you can "jail break" your phone to bypass all the above, but why should I have to hack my phone to make it work? It should work out of the box.

I switched to Samsung Galaxy 2 after 1 an hlf yrs of iPhone. First thing I noticed was the freedom I had to change ringtones, download free music and of course the huge amount of free apps on android. But again, its personal preferance. It does what I want a phone to do. Ive since upgraded to the Note with its bigger screen and the addition of a stylus its perfect for me.

Ive got no problem with people buying Apple products or owning/wanting an iPhone because they are good bits of kit... But they are not the be all and end all that some will try to make you believe. Nor are Samsung or HTC or any other phone for that matter. They all offer their own pros and cons. My issue is with the religeous-like fanboys that follow this company like a cult. Theyll preach the products to everyone almost asif they work for Apple. And should you own anything else you'll get told "its brick".

I'm considering getting a note when my upgrade comes around. Do you rate it really highly? I liked the idea of the big screen, and I assume you get all the apps etc on that too. What does an S3 do that the Note couldn't for example? Or what does an S3 or Iphone do significantly better than a note?

Was also thinking it may be tough for it to fit into my pocket...but I like the thought of being on the tube, and being able to use the note for reading, watching, browsing, apps, everything.

r.e. lawsuit

Of course they will appeal - that is the natural thing to do in such cases but for me the writing is on the wall - as if ever proof was needed (for me personally, at least)!

Even so - you don't need an official judge's/jury's verdict to compare the items and judge for yourself - I think it's fairly self-explanatory

Here is a very simple question - if they were so ahead of the game and never 'referenced' their products and apparently had those in development for years prior

- Why didn't they release any of these products ahead of Apple but always followed suit and 'adapted' to the market

Please read the Economist article

And this:
http://gizmodo.com/343641/1960s-braun-products-hold-the-secrets-to-apples-future

And this:

http://www.schoolhousemuseum.org.au/Web Albums/Objects/slateboardandslatepencil.html

And this:
[video=youtube;CW0DUg63lqU]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CW0DUg63lqU[/video]

And then stop trolling

Last edited:
Allows you to install third-party apps on your phone/tablet

Personally I don't like it and have refrained from doing it

It's great, allows loads of third party apps to tweak the OS, it basically allows you to do all the things that Android owners can do out of the box. What's putting you off doing it Arcy?

I currently have a widget added to my notification centre so I can quickly turn off wifi/3g/bluetooth/etc and also switch the camera light on to use as a torch. I have a widget in notification centre that shows my data usage for the month, a free tethering app as Vodafone charge to use the built in one and many other tweaks like that. I don't think I could have an iPhone without Jailbreaking it.

I'm absolutely loving the debate that this thread has started, as always with an Apple thread you get the people that buy apple products and defend them and the people that hate apple coming in to slate them. Neither will ever change the others mind but it's fun to watch anyway. :)

The reason I have an iPhone is that I like the size of it, I like the OS (although it could do with a refresh), once Jailbroken I can do everything I want with it. I have an Apple TV so I can use it with that.

I looked at Android and for the most part they feel a bit plasticy and cheap. I don't want an enormous screen so the Galaxy phones and many others are out and my brother and wife both have iPhones so connecting to them is easier with an iPhone.

I currently have an iPhone4, I didn't feel the need to upgrade to the 4s and I'm not convinced about this update either, maybe I'll go and have a look at it. If not I'll wait for the next one. Does that make me an iSheep, maybe, but I can live with that.

I'm very happy for your choice and subsequent experience with your Samsung Galaxy S2, edgey. After all - it is the user who ultimately benefits from all this 'innovation' (and plagiarism)

As for your last paragraph - no one here is suggesting for a second Apple products are the be-all and end-all of all tech products - simply commenting on the ridiculous accusations, generalisation and border-line libellous statements of people who cannot accept the fact certain people enjoy certain products from a certain brand manufacturer and for some reason attach inferiority and tech-ignorance to that. They also feel the personal need to descend upon every tech thread and commence with 'branding'. Those in my books are as worse as the 'religious fanboys' you've described above - simply coming in from the other extreme - I'm sure you can understand that.

Potato. Tomato

Ive simply said those who blindly follow a brand are not really benefitting. Its the same with Xbox vs PS3... Both will tell you the other ones brick when the reality is they both offer up their own pros and cons, why restrict yourself to one brand?
Im not saying anyones a fool for buying an iPhone or that you shouldnt own an iPhone. I said they are good bits of kit in my last coment. And there is no doubt they revolutionised the mobile phone market. They made technology accessable to all ages and they raised the bar... I applaud them for that and like i said I loved my iPhone when I had it. It was brilliant. I do think people are foolish (or have more money than sense) to go out and queue up for the latest Apple product having only owned the previous one for no longer than a few months just because its the latest one and they gotta have it. Nothing much has changed (certainly not enough to warrant forking out another 400+ quid) and your overall iPhone experience will be exactly the same. Give it a week and the novelty will have worn off.
This is why I didnt update my iPhone. I wanted a change and I tried Samsung and prefered what it had to offer. What annoys me is people like yourself telling me my Samsung is just a cheap iPhone knock off when my guess is you've never properly tried one. Alot of my Apple chums will tell me how much better their iPhone is compared to the rest having not even bothered lookin at the rest.
I dont mind people saying their phone is better than mine if they've atleast had a go on my one to campare them.

And as for the court case. US company on US soil in a US court room with a US judge and US jury up against a Korean company.... Funny how they havent won the same case in any other country. But anyway thats nothing to do with us is it? Should we be using court cases to argue how good our phone is? Not really. Was just another cheap shot at peopke who own Samsungs coz your iPhone is superior

I have

You still haven't answered why those products weren't anounced first

Some businesses get to market before others

Microsoft wasn't first to market with a word processor or email

But they advanced on what was there and are now undisputed kings with those products

Technology moves at an incredible pace

Being first shouldn't give you the right to enforce a monopoly on the market

Competition is better for consumers

Read the economist article again. It's not biased, just explains the stupidity behind the law suit

You'd do well to look at the result of the British lawsuit too, not just litigation mental USA

What a boring fudging world we'd live in if there was only 1 brand for Cars, TVs, Washing Machines, Phones, Computers

Is that what you want? You realise BMW didn't invent the Car, or the steering wheel, or air conditioning...........

Last edited:
Was just another cheap shot at peopke who own Samsungs coz your iPhone is superior

Not true

It is in fact the Samsung disciples who are lightning quick to descend upon these threads and commence spreading the Andrioid gospel while in turn generalising and posting links to biased articles.

It is them who label ALL Apple users sheep, fanboys, tech ignorant consumerist slaves

It is them who have to 'prove' in every thread their Samsung Galaxy is better (eventhough it is ultimately a 'version' of the very product they are hating!)

It is them who have to 'prove' in every thread Android has some free fudging app that cost 99c on the App store

If you don't believe me - simply wait for the next Apple/Android thread (those occur every 6-8 weeks in Random) and observe the pattern. Look at the tablet thread next to this one - no one is really bothered about some Google tablet and people are disucssing it at peace. Had that been an Apple tablet - oh, so different

What a boring fudging world we'd live in if there was only 1 brand for Cars, TVs, Washing Machines, Phones, Computers

No - having many is beneficial to the end user - no one (as far as I can tell) is disputing that.

However - all of them producing identical looking products would be somewhat bland . . .

Imagine all cars looked like a Golf

Not true

It is in fact the Samsung disciples who are lightning quick to descend upon these threads and commence spreading the Andrioid gospel while in turn generalising and posting links to biased articles.

It is them who label ALL Apple users sheep, fanboys, tech ignorant consumerist slaves

It is them who have to 'prove' in every thread their Samsung Galaxy is better (eventhough it is ultimately a 'version' of the very product they are hating!)

It is them who have to 'prove' in every thread Android has some free fudging app that cost 99c on the App store

If you don't believe me - simply wait for the next Apple/Android thread (those occur every 6-8 weeks in Random) and observe the pattern. Look at the tablet thread next to this one - no one is really bothered about some Google tablet and people are disucssing it at peace. Had that been an Apple tablet - oh, so different

Yes

Because it would be TWICE as expensive with the same features :ross:

And it wouldn't have a micro USB charger either ](*,)

I'm out of this thread

Perhaps you should apply your same fundamentally flawed logic to the BMW you drive

How dare they copy and improve on an existing design for transporting humanoids

It's great, allows loads of third party apps to tweak the OS, it basically allows you to do all the things that Android owners can do out of the box. What's putting you off doing it Arcy?

I currently have a widget added to my notification centre so I can quickly turn off wifi/3g/bluetooth/etc and also switch the camera light on to use as a torch. I have a widget in notification centre that shows my data usage for the month, a free tethering app as Vodafone charge to use the built in one and many other tweaks like that. I don't think I could have an iPhone without Jailbreaking it.

I'm absolutely loving the debate that this thread has started, as always with an Apple thread you get the people that buy apple products and defend them and the people that hate apple coming in to slate them. Neither will ever change the others mind but it's fun to watch anyway. :)

The reason I have an iPhone is that I like the size of it, I like the OS (although it could do with a refresh), once Jailbroken I can do everything I want with it. I have an Apple TV so I can use it with that.

I looked at Android and for the most part they feel a bit plasticy and cheap. I don't want an enormous screen so the Galaxy phones and many others are out and my brother and wife both have iPhones so connecting to them is easier with an iPhone.

I currently have an iPhone4, I didn't feel the need to upgrade to the 4s and I'm not convinced about this update either, maybe I'll go and have a look at it. If not I'll wait for the next one. Does that make me an iSheep, maybe, but I can live with that.

Never heard the term "iSheep" but I like it :) I'd say the fact you haven't rushed out to be the first to own the newest iPhone is far from being an iSheep. Theres minimal difference in my eyes between the 4, 4S and even the 5.

Not wanting a Galaxy due to screen size is a very fair point. They are big. For me tho I prefer the bigger screen as Im not having to zoom web pages and gaming experience is better, plus movies too.
I also like the widgets on the Android software. I too have the torch button on my home screen aswel as Sky Sports score centre with the match of my choice already showing. I have my works calender on another screen with all my shifts showing. It basically means I can use many of my apps without opening them.

The Apple Versus Everyone else debate will roll on for years to come tho. And as you say its interesting to watch

The things that would have made me rush out and get this iPhone would have been wireless charging or a media card slot, can't think of anything else that would have got me to the shop really. Just can't understand why Apple haven't created their own type of memory card, copyrighted the design so no other companies can make them and then sell them for their usual rip off accessory prices, then nobody could moan about them not having expandable memory and they could make more money from them as well.

For me the new charger on iPhone5 is another blatant way of apple abusing their loyal followers. There should be more convergence with things like chargers not divergence, filling the world with more cheap plastic brick that needs to be taken apart before being disposed of. I've had Galaxy s2 for a year now and i'm very happy with it, recently discovered newer blackberry chargers work with it which has helped me at random places recently. £25 quid for the new charger listed price on apple website - that's just taking the tinkle.

As for the lawsuit thing, just take a look at how many Samsung made components are inside the iPhone they are allegedly ripping off. It's only a US judge that favours the US company everyone else just told them both to stop being so petty.

Check out what woozy said:

While the ruling adds to Apple's patent victory tally, the firm's co-founder Steve Wozniak has voiced his discomfort at the fact it was engaged in such legal battles.

"I hate it," he said, when quizzed by the Bloomberg about the fact that a jury had awarded Apple $1.05bn (£648m) in damages from Samsung.

"I don't think the decision of California will hold. And I don't agree with it... I wish everybody would just agree to exchange all the patents and everybody can build the best forms they want to use everybody's technologies."

Mr Wozniak is the listed inventor of several patents himself, including a way to use a computer with a video display.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-19598355

The comparison between iPhone users and Samsung phone users seems flawed. Has anyone met a Samsung phone user who wouldn't readily switch to an Android phone made by another company or even to a Nokia Windows phone if they turn out to be any good. Apple has "fans" in a way no other technology company has. Lots of people use Windows and Microsoft products but they don't defend the company regardless and are probably its biggest critics.

I don't have a iPhone or Android phone, so I'm curious, what are these technological features that Samsung have stolen?

Back